Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm offended by Destructoid's headline. Densha de Go legitimately looked like a fun time. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nickoten posted:

I'm offended by Destructoid's headline. Densha de Go legitimately looked like a fun time. :colbert:

It does look like a fun time and it usually is but Destructoid is right for once in this situation. The Wii only got the Shinkansen (the bullet train line) version and it is my pick for the worst of the series. It's all flat, straight track with generic field scenery. There's very little in the way of variation and it's around ten minutes between stations. Get Densha de Go Final if you want my pick for the best in the series (though I don't like Conductor mode which was mentioned in the thread recently). It's easily available, very accessible, and the only catch is you have to do something with your PS2 if you want to play it on a US console. Alternatively if you really want to drive a bullet train Railfan: Taiwan is a lot more fun than the Shinkansen game and it's even available in English if you get the Asian market version.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Ah, I stand corrected then. I guess it stands to reason that a Shinkansen game would be pretty drat boring considering the subject matter.

And here I am insulting a game about bullet trains I've never played because it doesn't sound as fun as driving a Yamanote Line train.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Random Stranger posted:

Alternatively if you really want to drive a bullet train Railfan: Taiwan is a lot more fun than the Shinkansen game and it's even available in English if you get the Asian market version.

I naturally have the PS3 Railfan and had a Kachou moment myself the first time I played Taiwan High-Speed Rail. One and a half hours spent driving the train along the entirety of the line with no stops. Approached the terminus at the end of the line... Slowed down... Gently...

Overshot the station by a few metres. YOU FAIL, GAME OVER.

One and a half hours of non-stop driving down the pan. ;___;

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nickoten posted:

And here I am insulting a game about bullet trains I've never played because it doesn't sound as fun as driving a Yamanote Line train.

The entire Yamanote line is Final. The line (or portions of it) have been in a lot of the games both because it's pretty well-known in Japan and it's got quite a few change ups. You're constantly having to deal with speed management for the bends in the track (it is, after all, a loop) and a fairly exacting schedule.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

That's what I imagined in my head that a bullet train game would be like but I thought, "No, it can't really be like that" until I read your post. :psyduck:

quote:

The entire Yamanote line is Final. The line (or portions of it) have been in a lot of the games both because it's pretty well-known in Japan and it's got quite a few change ups. You're constantly having to deal with speed management for the bends in the track (it is, after all, a loop) and a fairly exacting schedule.

Oh yeah I wasn't kidding when I said it seemed fun. Was just commenting on how funny my post must look to someone who has no interest in these at all. "This train game seems boring as hell compared to this other train game!"

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
A friend of mine's a driver on the London Underground, he's allowed me in the cab a few times and it's really shown me how difficult a job it is. You need to concentrate all the time and have to be very wary of assuming that signal you passed a million times before will still be green...

Incidentally I showed Densha de Go Final to him and he was not terribly impressed that I'd chosen one of his days off to make him play a game simulating his job. :P

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

PkerUNO posted:

A friend of mine's a driver on the London Underground, he's allowed me in the cab a few times and it's really shown me how difficult a job it is. You need to concentrate all the time and have to be very wary of assuming that signal you passed a million times before will still be green..

Being a tube driver is literally like playing a very, very hard Japanese videogame!

Also, the game seems unforgiving as hell, but I imagine the train drivers in Japan would lose their jobs for a lot less than overshooting a station slightly / being 20 seconds late / failing to point at every single sign on the route?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyma posted:

Being a tube driver is literally like playing a very, very hard Japanese videogame!

Also, the game seems unforgiving as hell, but I imagine the train drivers in Japan would lose their jobs for a lot less than overshooting a station slightly / being 20 seconds late / failing to point at every single sign on the route?

I remember hearing that there were huge problems in Japan about twenty or thirty years ago with the train drivers being generally incompetent. Not run the train off the tracks and kill hundreds of people bad but doing things like skipping stations, ignoring some safety measures, and making passengers miserable. These days it's a well oiled machine.

There is more leeway than the game gives you in arrival. Since a train is generally stopped for over a minute to keep things on schedule there's a lot more wiggle room. And I'm sure the drivers have a lot more practice at stopping accurately than any normal person would get.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Tyma posted:

Pretty much, yeah. If your train is late, it could gently caress up every single train behind you, especially in Japan where they squeeze every possible space on their service diagrams. Overshooting a station is a problem on any network, since trains aren't usually authorised to move backwards, so they'd have to just continue to the next station.

Failing to point I'm not so sure of, I always thought that was partly for personal reasons - making sure you actually acknowledge every signal - and partly for show - passengers can usually look into the driver's cabin, so you're demonstrating that you're alert.

EDIT: ^^^^ Recently there's been efforts to try and reduce the number of trains on tracks and generally "chill out" the service patterns a bit more since there were a couple of accidents a few years ago caused by drivers speeding after being a couple of seconds late. If you're interested in the signalling part of railway management, I recommend SimSig - it's almost exactly the same program British signalmen use.

PkerUNO fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 29, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Watching the Golgo 13 episode right now. I never played it myself, and I guess from magazine screenshots I developed the impression that it was a pure adventure game.. I had no idea there was an action component to it beyond the sniping!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My wife and I went to SF over the weekend for a friend's wedding. Needless to say this is the first place we went after getting off the plane:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

xamphear posted:

My wife and I went to SF over the weekend for a friend's wedding. Needless to say this is the first place we went after getting off the plane:

Yes! A very cool place. I dragged my family there on our trip to SF a few years aback and spent several hours (!) enjoying the machines. The perfect spot for amateur retro game masters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Huh... looks like one of the first things we have to do when we start moving again with our own subs doesn't have a lot of Arino actually playing a game. I guess that makes up for Bomberman was it was only Arino and the staff playing...

It has been a pretty bad video to fix. I've been working on patching it up for about four hours now.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Hirayuki posted:

Yes! A very cool place. I dragged my family there on our trip to SF a few years aback and spent several hours (!) enjoying the machines. The perfect spot for amateur retro game masters.

I lived in SF for years and had no idea this place existed.... Now I'm kicking myself.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

xamphear posted:

Did you give some quarters in tribute to the wind machine?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Did you give some quarters in tribute to the wind machine?

That was literally the first machine I put money into.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Did you get a chance to meet the man in charge, maybe mention that you saw his business on GameCenter CX? I know the people who run the game store that Arino visited during his America trip have mentioned hearing about it, and have discussed it on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/4JAYSVideoGames

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Vlaphor posted:

Did you get a chance to meet the man in charge, maybe mention that you saw his business on GameCenter CX? I know the people who run the game store that Arino visited during his America trip have mentioned hearing about it, and have discussed it on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/4JAYSVideoGames

We saw the guy (really hard to miss him) but after a brief discussion with my wife we decided it would indeed be "kinda weird" to approach him about how we saw him on a Japanese TV show.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

xamphear posted:

We saw the guy (really hard to miss him) but after a brief discussion with my wife we decided it would indeed be "kinda weird" to approach him about how we saw him on a Japanese TV show.

What about telling him you saw him on Storage Wars?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

xamphear posted:

The guy has probably been on 8-10 TV shows given the specialty nature of his business so I doubt it really would have creeped him out.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

xamphear posted:

He's in San Francisco. That would probably be the most normal thing to have happened in the past month.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Watched the Mighty Bomb Jack! live special last night. So intense! I've never been on the edge of my seat for any other episode yet.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

If anybody saw the newest GCCX and wants to play Dynamite Headdy legally and (relatively) easily, it's on Steam now.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

rdbbb posted:

If anybody saw the newest GCCX and wants to play Dynamite Headdy legally and (relatively) easily, it's on Steam now.

Wonder Boy In Monster World is also on Steam. Hope to see that episode subbed soon.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I wanted to take a quick translation break to... translate some more. This is the "What's the worst GCCX episode?" thread from 2chan, posted a day after the most recent live episode. I mentioned this a while back. Halfway through they start talking about best episodes and best AD. For those interested in the Japanese fandom's opinions.

Spoilers and off-topic comments have been omitted.

2chan: What is the worst Game Center CX episode? (Feb 25, 2012)
http://justpaste.it/yfo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Of the ones that have been translated (KOTAK in this case), I'd have to go with Battle Golfer Yui. That whole game is just boring and ugly and I don't remember Arino being particularly funny, either.

Edit:

quote:

52. Shiren, because [spoiler]. ActRaiser, because he was obviously in a bad mood. Fire Arino already and find another guy

Haha, whoa, angry nerds are universal.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 3, 2012

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

quote:

Fire Arino already and find another guy

:rolleyes:

Also, seems like you guys did a good job choosing the right episodes to release seeing as how the majority of comments on there are concerning translated eps.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

I wanted to take a quick translation break to... translate some more. This is the "What's the worst GCCX episode?" thread from 2chan, posted a day after the most recent live episode. I mentioned this a while back. Halfway through they start talking about best episodes and best AD. For those interested in the Japanese fandom's opinions.

Spoilers and off-topic comments have been omitted.

2chan: What is the worst Game Center CX episode? (Feb 25, 2012)
http://justpaste.it/yfo

You're amazing.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Since Ninja Spirit was an easy win (He beat it in about 2 hours),the staff should have made him play on Arcade mode which is much harder. May have made for a more interesting episode. I have a PC port of the Arcade version which was on the Irem PC Collection. I have yet to beat Ninja Spirit on Arcade Mode. I have no PC Engine Mode to fall back on.

Both Zelda games were not fun challenges to watch. Zelda 64 is too long for GCCX. Arino didn't play the whole game himself. Zelda ALTTP was OK, but only showing highlights from dungeon runs and not showing Arino's struggle to get to the boss made it less interesting than other GCCX episodes.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 3, 2012

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

quote:

108. Picks for worst: Shiren = [spoiler]. Ocarina of Time = [spoiler]. Kirby Superstar = It was way too easy. Super Mario Bros 2 = Akita was ugly

That is rough. The opposite of tender. :drat:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

quote:

138. >>132 Volfied and Splatterhouse were both god tier

Holy moley I want to see Arino play Splatterhouse so much. Nintendo Channel :argh:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I'm convinced we're too kind to this show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

I'm convinced we're too kind to this show.

I know. I haven't liked an episode since they changed the format for season two. :smugbert:

RabidWeasel posted:

Holy moley I want to see Arino play Splatterhouse so much. Nintendo Channel :argh:

Arino dominates the game. I'm convinced he could beat it with only an extra hour or two of play but the Nintendo Channel format tends to be abbreviated.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 3, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I love them all, so I won't say 'worst', but my least favorite episode (at least of the translated ones) has gotta be SOS.

I definitely enjoy the ones where he fails a lot less, and SOS is the worst because it's not even his fault that he fails, it's just a terribly programmed game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Son Ryo posted:

I definitely enjoy the ones where he fails a lot less

I'm the opposite. I like to see Arino struggle, and it tends to make me smile when an old game is just so impossible or pointlessly time-consuming that even Arino finally has to throw up his hands and go "Nope, I'm done." I also enjoy seeing the funny deaths more than seeing the actual successful runs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I always enjoyed the Actraiser episode because it felt like I finally found a kindred spirit in someone who really likes the creation mode as much as I do. :unsmith:

Also, "Fightin's gone." :unsmigghh:

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Son Ryo posted:

I love them all, so I won't say 'worst', but my least favorite episode (at least of the translated ones) has gotta be SOS.

Well you're a crazy person because SOS is probably the best episode of the whole series. The amount of despair when Arino's party jumps one by one to their death as he frantically tries to reset the arrow is glorious. I drink his pain.

Ledneh posted:

I always enjoyed the Actraiser episode because it felt like I finally found a kindred spirit in someone who really likes the creation mode as much as I do. :unsmith:

I have good news for you, you can find kindred spirits in the entirety of humankind and also some cetaceans. The sim mode is what made Actraiser into a top five snes game instead of being a forgettable hack em up like Actraiser 2.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There was an Actraiser 2? Dang.

It's nice to think I'm not as alone in that opinion as I thought though! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
S.O.S. is probably my favourite one of all time, if not then in my top three (hell it was the first one I translated for SAGCCX), so I was pleasantly surprised to see it so well-received by the Japanese fandom. I really thought it was a more obscure pick. I agree with the poster who says it's hilarious to see Arino yell at game characters when they won't listen to him.