Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
How the gently caress do you do Old Seb without one loving froglok running and pulling 50 other pieces of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dizz posted:

How the gently caress do you do Old Seb without one loving froglok running and pulling 50 other pieces of poo poo?

Aren't you playing a ranger? Might want to memorize snare

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Vomik posted:

Aren't you playing a ranger? Might want to memorize snare

Yeah I'm on permanent root duty now. sucks that I can't use my DPS but oh well.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dizz posted:

Snare is not root and you cast it once and it lasts 5 minutes or something crazy. You don't choose between dps and snare

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Snare, Ensnare, and the AA Entrap are all fixed duration runspeed decreasers. Snare last 4 minutes and the other two last ~15 minutes.

Druids and Rangers are the two classes that should worry least about runners because those are all fast casting, long lasting and low/no mana cost.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
Here's another reason you want snare instead of root:

Snared mobs turn to flee but dont go anywhere and you can just kill them happily. Rooted mobs fight to the bitter end.

Oh also roots break, snares do not. Always mem snare. Always. If you are with a group as a ranger you're expected to be on snare duty unless there is an SK or necro using the darkless line around and even then you should still snare.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lol at a ranger asking how to make stuff stop running

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dizz posted:

Snare is your best friend, do that before you do anything else. Root is entirely situational. Just snare everything and it'll become a habit. Make an audio trigger too so you can be sure it landed or did that poo poo just get resisted??

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Hexel posted:

Snare is your best friend, do that before you do anything else. Root is entirely situational. Just snare everything and it'll become a habit. Make an audio trigger too so you can be sure it landed or did that poo poo just get resisted??

Usually I keep an eye at the combat log to see if any red text shows up during a fight. it usually hints me on wether something got resisted or landed.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Audio triggers are awesome for that kind of thing. I made one on all 3 of my boxes for the word 'appear'. It makes a chime noise every time invis starts to drop when it says 'you feel yourself starting to appear'.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Where is the place to go for exp at 80? We tried Ashengate and its slow. And there is like no one there so it must suck.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 1, 2012

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
The last time I played EQ seriously was around Velious-era and I'm thinking about picking it up again. Looking at my level 59 monk, I see that I have Whistling Fists, Celestial Fists, wrists that summon a bag of shurikens, and j-boots. Virtually everything else appears to be garbage.

So should I restart a new monk on Luclin, or do those epic/old weapons make this guy someone I should stick with? I don't have a sense for how hard any of these things are to get anymore.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Peechka posted:

Where is the place to go for exp at 80? We tried Ashengate and its slow. And there is like no one there so it must suck.

I would be in Valdeholm at 80, you dont have any of the omghotzone! noobs and the xp is darn near them same. Levi off the bridge when you walk in and drop down to your right, kill those big rear end spiders till 85.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

Audio triggers are awesome for that kind of thing. I made one on all 3 of my boxes for the word 'appear'. It makes a chime noise every time invis starts to drop when it says 'you feel yourself starting to appear'.

I have an audio trigger for my sham box for when slow lands, necro snare and even bard 52% slow if for some god awful reason I just have the bard with me and need to slow something.

Something funny to do is to say in your servers' general chat: you sense your doom approaching
~Thats an old school audio trigger from the don Vishimtar raid and a lot of people will still have it set up, so if you say it in gen chat you can annoy the piss out of dozens of people.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 1, 2012

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

soru posted:

The last time I played EQ seriously was around Velious-era and I'm thinking about picking it up again. Looking at my level 59 monk, I see that I have Whistling Fists, Celestial Fists, wrists that summon a bag of shurikens, and j-boots. Virtually everything else appears to be garbage.

So should I restart a new monk on Luclin, or do those epic/old weapons make this guy someone I should stick with? I don't have a sense for how hard any of these things are to get anymore.

If being able to group with the majority of people here matters at all, I'd recommend Luclin. You could server transfer for $25, but if that's too pricy, nothing you have will be particularly hard to replace. You can't underestimate how much it helps having a community of people willing to help out when you get to more challenging content at the higher levels.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

soru posted:

If you join up with goons on Luclin, the guild bank has a shitload of leather defiant, which will get you up to speed quick. Having the epic is nice so you don't have to redo it or do the prequest for 1.5/2.0 later.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
If the server transfer fee is high to you, just start a new monk. You can be 60 with better weapons in a few days. The prequest is dirt easy and epics shouldn't be a consideration even if you have a 2.0.

I'm coming back soon, guys! Turned out to be my monitor rather than video card, plus I'm moving soon, but Kodaji will be saving the day again soon regardless :dance:

Pretty_Llama
Nov 11, 2009
My wife and I were messing around in Old Seb a few days ago - pretty fun to be able to actually dungeon crawl a place that you used to be able to walk through without seeing a mob it was so camped.

Like everyone else said - never use root to stop a runner, just snare them. Snare takes next to no mana and lasts a long time. The mob won't run until 20% anyways, and if they are snared they just turn around and stand there while you beat on them. I could be wrong, but I think if you have multiples only the last mob alive will even try to run.

If you root a mob it won't stop attacking even under 20%. It will also attack whoever is closest to it and ignore threat.

Ranger question from myself - right now I'm using the pair of quest weapons from Blightfire (like 11/20 ratios) - is there anything easy to get in my mid 50s that is a significant step up? Should I even care or just pick up elaborate defiant when I hit 59?

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007

Pretty_Llama posted:

pick up elaborate defiant when I hit 59

Do this.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Back from my vacation, still getting everything back in place and catching up. Also have some unfortunate family stuff for the next couple of days too, but I might be able to play a little tonight and Thursday. Too bad the weekend has plans too. Friday night should be good though!

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
The latest thing that's happening to me that has me baffled (though not really upset since it almost feels like cheating) is that when i leave me 3 boxes overnight to merc-afk-kill stuff for me in, say, paw, upon waking up in the morning all 3 characters are dead and returned to their spawn points.

This in itself isn't hugely surprising to me, although since two of the mercs are level 80 J5 it seems unlikely, but the really strange part is that I'm leaving no corpse in the zone on any of my characters. The corpse summoners eat the summon item with no corpse popping up, and when I run back to the zone there are no corpses where I was camped.

It was even stranger this morning, as two of my boxes were dead without corpses, as I suspected, while one character had simply gated with his merc still alive. Is there some great mystery that I've not heard about here regarding overnight merc afk'ing? When I've done merc afk'ing during the day and just checked in every few hours I've never seen anything like this happen.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I would assume it's a GM cracking down on it and messing with you. That does sound odd.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

when you are logged on your corpse has a rez timer that expires, it's about 2 hours.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Can you set pets to assist a tank? I am considering firing up another account so I can AFK some AA's for Balee. I was thinking a mage with a cleric merc and Balee with a tank merc would be murderous with two pets for DPS.

With all the bonus station cash, I could transfer Bronar the mage rather easily.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Creative Bicycle posted:

The latest thing that's happening to me that has me baffled (though not really upset since it almost feels like cheating) is that when i leave me 3 boxes overnight to merc-afk-kill stuff for me in, say, paw, upon waking up in the morning all 3 characters are dead and returned to their spawn points.

This in itself isn't hugely surprising to me, although since two of the mercs are level 80 J5 it seems unlikely, but the really strange part is that I'm leaving no corpse in the zone on any of my characters. The corpse summoners eat the summon item with no corpse popping up, and when I run back to the zone there are no corpses where I was camped.

It was even stranger this morning, as two of my boxes were dead without corpses, as I suspected, while one character had simply gated with his merc still alive. Is there some great mystery that I've not heard about here regarding overnight merc afk'ing? When I've done merc afk'ing during the day and just checked in every few hours I've never seen anything like this happen.

Log your text and see what happened.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Keith Stone posted:

Can you set pets to assist a tank? I am considering firing up another account so I can AFK some AA's for Balee. I was thinking a mage with a cleric merc and Balee with a tank merc would be murderous with two pets for DPS.

With all the bonus station cash, I could transfer Bronar the mage rather easily.

Nope, pets have to be told to attack every time. The AFK Merc'ers are just relying on tank merc DPS.

As for ending up dead, I doubt it's a GM. Way more likely that someone's training you. I go out of my way to kill off every AFK merc'ing person I see (except goons). Sometimes if I'm bored, I'll swing through the Hole and Paw just to kill people :shobon:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Creative Bicycle posted:

Dying while AFK xp'ing

Are you Laids? If so, you are always camped in a spot where everyone is pulling through. Every time I'm in Paw I have to be extra careful not to train you. Find a corner somewhere!

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, we did this on our server in the Hole. There was a guy there with a whole group + mercs camping the entire front section of the temple for a week straight afk!

So we trained his rear end and took his camp. At least when we played it was not AFK.

We dont usually train people on purpose, but if you are camping a highly contested area afk? Yeah, your rear end is getting set back to pok.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Peechka posted:

Yeah, we did this on our server in the Hole. There was a guy there with a whole group + mercs camping the entire front section of the temple for a week straight afk!

So we trained his rear end and took his camp. At least when we played it was not AFK.

We dont usually train people on purpose, but if you are camping a highly contested area afk? Yeah, your rear end is getting set back to pok.

This is why I love Everquest, among other things. Even though there isn't pvp, except on Zek of course, there are usually ways of dealing with douchebags.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I make a point to not train Laids...although I will go in an loot the gems on his mobs!

What is weird is the no corpse part of his tale. There should be a corpse where he died.

Pets will attack if the pet owner is attacked. Maybe the Beastlord/Mage might work after all.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nah Beo was right on the corpses. They only stay around for the rez period now, which if you're online, is 3 hours. So waking up to PoK means your corpse has long since poofed.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

I make a point to not train Laids...although I will go in an loot the gems on his mobs!

What is weird is the no corpse part of his tale. There should be a corpse where he died.

Pets will attack if the pet owner is attacked. Maybe the Beastlord/Mage might work after all.

I was debating a BL to box with my mage, but people in my guild on Vox keep trying to dissuade me. But I really like the synergy with two strong pets combined with the utility of the BL ... Slows especially. I have a shaman I could use for slows but I dont enjoy playing him much and would prefer something else. Are beastlords bad? They seem fun. :(

Also, is The Hole still good AA xp at 65? I am taking a nice long break from levelling to grind out a few hundred AAs, and am finding my usual places starting to suck. (potameids in mesa, blackfeather, griegs).

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Ylide posted:

Also, is The Hole still good AA xp at 65? I am taking a nice long break from levelling to grind out a few hundred AAs, and am finding my usual places starting to suck. (potameids in mesa, blackfeather, griegs).

If youre on the Drinal server, than no, the exp sucks at the hole. But any other serer, yes it rocks..... :D

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Nope, pets have to be told to attack every time. The AFK Merc'ers are just relying on tank merc DPS.

As for ending up dead, I doubt it's a GM. Way more likely that someone's training you. I go out of my way to kill off every AFK merc'ing person I see (except goons). Sometimes if I'm bored, I'll swing through the Hole and Paw just to kill people :shobon:

If you have a pet and you can get hit first, the pet will attack whatever hit you.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Peechka posted:

If youre on the Drinal server, than no, the exp sucks at the hole. But any other serer, yes it rocks..... :D

Haha I'm on Vox so don't sweat it.

I hate making the run from the front entrance down to the temple area, can someone explain where I jump down to start in that area and why I won't die? Doesn't it drop you down into the boss room or something?

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001
So the Hot Zone for 40 - Dranik's Scar - seems rear end-rapingly hard compared to previous hotzones. Everything seems to be yellow or red and the beasties that the Hot Zone quest guy sent me to murder wiped both my pet and tank merc in under a minute.

Am I doing something wrong?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Ylide posted:

Haha I'm on Vox so don't sweat it.

I hate making the run from the front entrance down to the temple area, can someone explain where I jump down to start in that area and why I won't die? Doesn't it drop you down into the boss room or something?

When you zone into paineel, just drop down the big huge hole. You will zone in at the higher level stuff. Take the tunnel to the left, a little stone you click and it will lead you to the temple area.

DeathTongue posted:

So the Hot Zone for 40 - Dranik's Scar - seems rear end-rapingly hard compared to previous hotzones. Everything seems to be yellow or red and the beasties that the Hot Zone quest guy sent me to murder wiped both my pet and tank merc in under a minute.

IMO that zone is more for LV50+

You should also go check out the hole, but dont start by dropping down the hole, but zoneing in from the paineel noob area. Its an underwater tunnel, you click on a stone, it opens and you swim in. This place will rock for you for both levels up to 66ish and hundreds of AA.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ylide posted:

I was debating a BL to box with my mage, but people in my guild on Vox keep trying to dissuade me. But I really like the synergy with two strong pets combined with the utility of the BL ... Slows especially. I have a shaman I could use for slows but I dont enjoy playing him much and would prefer something else. Are beastlords bad? They seem fun. :(

Beastlords are just one of the classes that aren't sexy or anything right now (See: Shadowknight, Ranger). Of course if you know what you're doing on one, they're still pretty drat strong overall. More importantly if the class is fun to you, what others think is moot, playing a class you don't enjoy isn't worth it.

Edit: the only reason I would see to pick something else, would be that another caster would allow you to do all dps at range and let the mage pet have more of a tanking role. Tank mercs are the easy work around for this though.

The337th fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 2, 2012

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

DeathTongue posted:

Welcome to Everquest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

Basfreak67 posted:

Welcome to Everquest!

Yeah - up until now, it's been an enjoyable F2P MMO. Now, it's definitely feeling more like a classic rapeful MMO. Man do I miss EQ Release level XP penaltlies. No, not really.