Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a strong black woman who hates Kawasaki Vaqueros, this whole thread pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Flint Ironstag posted:

Which is a racist statement in itself.

No, it's not, actually.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Deeters posted:

I found an article a friend of my dad wrote and thought it went well in here. He's talking about fishing for the first half or so, so you can just skip that part.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/1202_crup_shop_talk_tech_matters/index.html

I am profoundly saddened by this article because:

- It is what currently passes for moto journalism.

- It made it to their print edition.

- It is supposed to be a bench/tech column.

- It was written in Connecticut, a place where children are issued a Roget's desk set and The Elements of Style while in the womb.

I know people like this. For them, every transaction or human interaction ends in a perceived slight, a conspiracy, or a federal case.

To those who get edged about the "real bike" nonsense, think of it this way--what three things would you say to a forestry major at a party? Hint: they will be either popular misconceptions, pop culture references, or begin with the phrase Remember that dude who. Up yours if you said the three hidden dangers of conifer topping.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found it looking for some of his actual tech articles, and I was really surprised how many articles on there had nothing to do with actual tech stuff.

A shirt for real bikers:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

To those who get edged about the "real bike" nonsense, think of it this way--what three things would you say to a forestry major at a party? Hint: they will be either popular misconceptions, pop culture references, or begin with the phrase Remember that dude who. Up yours if you said the three hidden dangers of conifer topping.

I'd probably ask if they drive a CR-V. I never knew topping was an issue until today but of course you bring it up right after I see this car

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

I am profoundly saddened by this article because:

- It is what currently passes for moto journalism.

- It made it to their print edition.

- It is supposed to be a bench/tech column.

- It was written in Connecticut, a place where children are issued a Roget's desk set and The Elements of Style while in the womb.

I know people like this. For them, every transaction or human interaction ends in a perceived slight, a conspiracy, or a federal case.

Oh Marv, always keeping it real. Why aren't you writing for a moto rag? I'd pay to read your articles. Lord knows I can't stomach another article Cycle World article about some guy welding poo poo to a classic motorcycle and calling it art.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

nsaP posted:

I'd probably ask if they drive a CR-V. I never knew topping was an issue until today but of course you bring it up right after I see this car

Crayvex posted:

Oh Marv, always keeping it real.

That was just a cleverly disguised topping awareness public service announcement wrapped in self-righteous criticism and some bloviating about how we're all misunderstood.

And it worked.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
As the newly bike-virginity poped owner of a Gixer this this this this a thousand times this: Not something i overhear but ill pass people on the highway that see me, and my Mohawk helmet (which i own purely because why the gently caress not) and do like wheelies and handlebar stands and poo poo, and then later when you see them at a gas station up the road they proceed to tell me that NOT doing these things is WRONG on this type of bike because they are BUILD by the company's that make them for stunts. This happens literally regularly. I just want to keep the rubber attached to the pavement lol

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

As the newly bike-virginity poped owner of a Gixer this this this this a thousand times this: Not something i overhear but ill pass people on the highway that see me, and my Mohawk helmet (which i own purely because why the gently caress not) and do like wheelies and handlebar stands and poo poo, and then later when you see them at a gas station up the road they proceed to tell me that NOT doing these things is WRONG on this type of bike because they are BUILD by the company's that make them for stunts. This happens literally regularly. I just want to keep the rubber attached to the pavement lol

what

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AcidRonin posted:

The gently caress

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AcidRonin posted:

is this poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

AcidRonin posted:

son

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I feel bad interrupting the AcidRonin megathread, but:

http://www.localnews8.com/news/30987593/detail.html

quote:

An Idaho Falls man will serve 20 days in jail for insurance fraud and damaging insured property after he faked a motorcycle crash.

quote:

While his girlfriend drove the truck at 40 to 50 mph, Preston pushed the motorcycle onto the road. He then made his girlfriend drag him down the road behind the truck to make his clothing look like it had been damaged in a motorcycle accident.
That sounds like a fun thing to do, actually. If you've got full leathers.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

Is "what the gently caress does a forestry major do" a correct thing to say? because I would say that. Because I would want to know why a forestry major is at the party I am also at.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

KARMA! posted:

Is "what the gently caress does a forestry major do" a correct thing to say? because I would say that. Because I would want to know why a forestry major is at the party I am also at.

[S]He's doing silviculture!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

KARMA! posted:

I would probably say When are you gonna change to a REAL major? And then they'd probably write an article about the incident in Forest Science Quarterly. And someone in SA would point out how terrible it was, and...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marv Hushman posted:

I would probably say When are you gonna change to a REAL major? And then they'd probably write an article about the incident in Forest Science Quarterly. And someone in SA would point out how racist it was, and...

fixed

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Olde Weird Tip posted:

fixed

No it's okay I'm a forest too

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

No it's okay I'm a forest too

Really disappointed how ciskingdom faunacentric this is getting in here. I would've thought this forum of all places would be more understanding of dryads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Put a trigger warning on "fauna", jerk. Now I'm having flashbacks to thousands of squirrels sitting in my hair and making GBS threads on me, gently caress you :mad:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"The only way to properly lube a chain is with a Scottoiler and Scottoiler oil, otherwise your chain will wear out really quickly and rust like crazy", read on a local motorcycling forum and it seems to be the prevailing "wisdom" there.

Bunch of gadget-obsessed sperglords.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Bunch of gadget-obsessed sperglords.

Goons itt.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

All sperging aside (and I'm drat good at it), are the Scottoilers actually good? I already regularly clean/lube my chain but something like that seems pretty cool if it works as it says it does.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Xovaan posted:

All sperging aside (and I'm drat good at it), are the Scottoilers actually good? I already regularly clean/lube my chain but something like that seems pretty cool if it works as it says it does.

I really don't see the need unless you regularly ride across the country

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

Works well, insanely messy.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'm gonna go way out a limb and say don't stress oiling your chain. I'd rather buy a new chain a little bit sooner than deal with the mess or hassle. Lubricating an o-ring chain is like waterproofing an otter.

Just don't let it rust or let the rings go completely dry and crack.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MotoMind posted:

I'm gonna go way out a limb and say don't stress oiling your chain. I'd rather buy a new chain a little bit sooner than deal with the mess or hassle. Lubricating an o-ring chain is like waterproofing an otter.

Just don't let it rust or let the rings go completely dry and crack.

That's my philosophy. I tried out the Loobman oiler (poorfrugal man's Scottoiler), but it just made a mess.

So I bought a cheap oil can and filled it with used motor oil. Using that about every other week or so and wiping the excess off with a rag seems to work fine.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

That's my philosophy. I tried out the Loobman oiler (poorfrugal man's Scottoiler), but it just made a mess.

So I bought a cheap oil can and filled it with used motor oil. Using that about every other week or so and wiping the excess off with a rag seems to work fine.

But that's way more work than using a loobman!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

But that's way more work than using a loobman!

It's not nearly as messy, either. Especially if the hose pops off. Even the times where everything stayed together, the rear of my bike was absolutely soiled with oil, including my rear wheel. And I only used it about once per week.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

KozmoNaut posted:

It seems to me that wiping a chain that hasn't been cleaned would just grind dirt and sand into the o-rings.

For that matter, trying to clean a chain with o-rings seems bound to either wash out the grease inside and/or jam dirt inside them.

I just lube it every 3-500 miles and will change it when it wears out. It's easy enough to change and my current chain has lasted 15k miles so far and will probably go about 5-10k more.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

MotoMind posted:

Lubricating an o-ring chain is like waterproofing an otter.

This rules, and is hereby nominated for inclusion in Zen's Compendium of CA Pithy Quotes and Fractured Fables. I think I have 1-2 rants entries in there. Also--please don't bring up WD-40 in this context or Crayvex and I are going to wind up in a Google-Fu cage match again...

Content:

I am beginning to reach the conclusion that the whole "I know a guy who carried spark plugs and ball bearings while he rode" business is complete bullshit. I've heard it several times and never really thought much about it. Like most, I'm so diverted by the evil genius and instant karma that I fail to apply any logic. After hearing it for the 147th time today, I gave it a few cranks.

So...we're rolling down the highway and some unthinkable effrontery has taken place. The gauntlet thus dropped, our hero makes his way ahead of the bounder and unleashes said projectiles. Assuming these things reach the intended target (with zero collateral damage), we now have a driver with a dented hood, cracked windshield, seized serpentine belt, disfigured face, whatever. Knowing full well that this isn't a meteor shower, the driver is even more unhinged. Having established in these very pages that it is extremely difficult to outrun a sufficiently insane driver, where does this leave us? Does spark plug boy's Ironhead bobber miraculously reach Warp 7? Does the driver instantly see the error of his ways?

EDIT: Throwing missiles at a motor vehicle is a Class 4 felony in some states.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 4, 2012

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I carry spark plugs with me every time I ride.

Granted I ride an old two stroke so I'm constantly worried about fouling plugs, so it's kind of a must...

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend carries them in his jacket pocket on his RC51 ever since he got hit by a minivan that blew a stop sign. He says they're "tactical good luck". :ssh:

Of course he's a tad bit bonkers but I love him to death

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

aventari posted:

It seems to me that wiping a chain that hasn't been cleaned would just grind dirt and sand into the o-rings.

It's more of a "lay two beads of oil down the inside of the chain and wipe off the excess" than an actual rubbing-in.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
I told one of my coworkers that I was searching for a vintage sidecar for my old Harley. His response was a shocked: "No! You don't want to do that! There are only two motorcycles in the world which are strong enough to pull a sidecar: The Ural, and the Moto-Guzzi!".

Derail related: That same bike has a built-in chain oiler which unfortunately also functions as a parking lot/garage floor/ back of right leg oiler. I can't imagine choosing to add something that messy unless I had no other choice.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MonkeyHate posted:

Derail related: That same bike has a built-in chain oiler which unfortunately also functions as a parking lot/garage floor/ back of right leg oiler. I can't imagine choosing to add something that messy unless I had no other choice.

I don't see the point in them either. Every other tank I wipe my chain down with gear oil and inspect it. You have to inspect it anyway, it's saving like 30 seconds...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looking up some random stuff about local regulations, I came across a blog where the author rants about how much he she hates motorcycle gangs and the gang violence they cause. He's She's posted this picture of some Hells Angels:

Among his her comments:

quote:

Standard safety equipment on a motorcycle are motorcycle boots. The reason being, if your front end slips on water, gravel or ice, you can kick yourself back up again. You can't really do that with sneakers on.

quote:

The ultimate joke is seeing a guy with sneakers and shorts on a motorcycle with a full face helmet. Like that helmet is going to save you. You'll probably just get decapitated because the helmet won't let you tuck your chin to roll from a fall.

:psyduck:

(I am a little puzzled that they let in a guy with a Suzuki, though)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 14, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

He probably has money - I don't know about in the states but in Australia a few of the biker clubs are letting people buy their way in to raise funds - they don't even have to have a motorcycle.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Sagebrush posted:

(I am a little puzzled that they let in a guy with a Suzuki, though)

That's a Buell 1125R. Funny, though, in that it's the Rotax engined bike and not a Sportster derived one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

He probably has money - I don't know about in the states but in Australia a few of the biker clubs are letting people buy their way in to raise funds - they don't even have to have a motorcycle.
This sounds like a good thing to me. After enough years of stuff like that, the "clubs" will be no more than a Harley Owners Guild. And then the world will be a better place with more posers and fewer sick fucks organized into groups.

• Locked thread