Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Captain Corduroy posted:

Is it okay if I only focus on Social Links in P3P based on how cute the characters are? So far the only exception I've made is Devil because of how ridiculous Tanaka's introduction was.

Rio :allears:

Koromaru :allears:

The best dog in the best Social Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Captain Corduroy posted:

Ugh because right now he's half the level of my other characters because I got fed up with him getting destroyed by wind guys. Maybe I'll let him tag along on my next trip to Tartarus.

Underlevelled characters can catch up pretty quickly to everyone else because of how experience works in the newer Personas. Don't worry too much about not using someone all the time.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.
There better not be a weird "romance" option with Ken but after Saori telling me she had a crush on her uncle all bets are off

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Captain Corduroy posted:

There better not be a weird "romance" option with Ken but after Saori telling me she had a crush on her uncle all bets are off
Oh boy, you don't even know :allears:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Captain Corduroy posted:

Oh, to be young and naive.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Brother Entropy posted:

It's really dumb and tedious but they finally made a better system for P4G so hopefully we won't have to deal with it for any new games from this point on.

What's this new system?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Captain Corduroy posted:

Um, well, at least it's an OPTION, right? Meaning, you're not forced to.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Corduroy posted:

There is and it's hilariously awful.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bland posted:

What's this new system?

From what I've heard you just straight up choose which skills the new Persona inherits.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brother Entropy posted:

From what I've heard you just straight up choose which skills the new Persona inherits.

So Devil Suvivor's System?

Hallelujah.

Catalina posted:

Um, well, at least it's an OPTION, right? Meaning, you're not forced to.

From what I've heard the localizer had to do a lot of rewriting.

But yeah, it's an option.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Corduroy posted:

Ugh because right now he's half the level of my other characters because I got fed up with him getting destroyed by wind guys. Maybe I'll let him tag along on my next trip to Tartarus.

He's garbage, you get much better people as the game progress.

Outside of a little variety of course, Akihiko, any healer and Koromaru are pretty much the perfect team.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

So Devil Suvivor's System?

Hallelujah.

Wait, Devil Survivor already does this? gently caress, I still need to play those, too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So hey, stupid question.

I've recently been swapping back and forth between Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2, and prior to those, my only experiences with SMT games were P3P and P4.

Anyway, I was wondering... why is Wind damage referred to as "Force" damage in DS2, and why does it use "Zan" as the root word for those spells instead of "Garu" like Strange Journey and the two Persona games I've played? I mean, I'd understand if it were actually meant to be a different elemental type, but it uses the same icon for Wind that Strange Journey uses, and Strange Journey uses the "Garu" root.

And while we're at it, why is Light now "Expel" and Darkness now "Curse" in both Strange Journey and DS2?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brother Entropy posted:

Wait, Devil Survivor already does this? gently caress, I still need to play those, too.

Yeah it was kind of it's thing. Frankly I'm amazed it wasn't added into every game made after it. I guess it takes time for good ideas to catch on to the other teams.

Hopefully it'll be in all new Megaten games from now on.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

W.T. Fits posted:

Anyway, I was wondering... why is Wind damage referred to as "Force" damage in DS2, and why does it use "Zan" as the root word for those spells instead of "Garu" like Strange Journey and the two Persona games I've played? I mean, I'd understand if it were actually meant to be a different elemental type, but it uses the same icon for Wind that Strange Journey uses, and Strange Journey uses the "Garu" root.

Some games are very inconsistent, the original SMT has, I think, the widest variety of spell types. Most SMT games up to Nocturne seem to have Zan spells, but after Persona 3, they were stricken and turned into the 4 elements, 2 light/dark. Basically, different teams work on different games, make different elements.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Playing Persona 4 lately has made me really, really miss the fusion system from Devil Survivor. :sigh: Especially the part where you can pick a demon and see a list of what demon combinations will create it. I miss my Super-Army of demons with no weaknesses!

Speaking of Persona 4, what determines whether Mudo and Hama skills will hit? Besides Personas and accessories that are resistant or weak, that is. Is affected by stats like Magic and Luck? Do Sukukaja and Sukunda have any effect?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Far as I know it's a flat percentage chance, with the odds increasing if you have the appropriate boost ability, and it increasing even more if the enemy is weak to the element.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If there was one thing Imagine did right, it was skill inheritance, since demons inherited pretty much all the skills from the parent demons (with certain exceptions) and you could just choose freely from them.

Sure, it was gamebreaking as hell, but it was also goddamn hilarious. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Not having to reload for half an hour to get the right skills on something will be a godsend.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dr Pepper posted:

From what I've heard the localizer had to do a lot of rewriting.

Actually, not so much! :)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

W.T. Fits posted:

So hey, stupid question.

I've recently been swapping back and forth between Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2, and prior to those, my only experiences with SMT games were P3P and P4.

And while we're at it, why is Light now "Expel" and Darkness now "Curse" in both Strange Journey and DS2?

Force/Zan and Wind/Garu are technically two different things. Garu was introduced in Persona 1, and it's pretty much been used exclusively in the Persona series, except for it appearing in Strange Journey for some reason.

"Expel" and "Curse" have traditionally been the names for those elements outside the Persona series.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TurnipFritter posted:

Force/Zan and Wind/Garu are technically two different things. Garu was introduced in Persona 1, and it's pretty much been used exclusively in the Persona series, except for it appearing in Strange Journey for some reason.

"Expel" and "Curse" have traditionally been the names for those elements outside the Persona series.

But is it the same in the Japanese versions, or is it something that just kinda happened during the localizations?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Krad posted:

But is it the same in the Japanese versions, or is it something that just kinda happened during the localizations?

It's light and darkness in the JP games, I think they just wanted to stay away from that in the very early localization efforts (like how Holy became 'Pearl' in Final Fantasy).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Justice posted:

Actually, not so much! :)

Oh are you the person who localized the game?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Justice posted:

It's light and darkness in the JP games, I think they just wanted to stay away from that in the very early localization efforts (like how Holy became 'Pearl' in Final Fantasy).

But it was already a game series about summoning demons. :eng99:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Krad posted:

But it was already a game series about summoning demons. :eng99:

No one from that far back is still around, I'm pretty sure. I don't think any of us could fathom the reasons they had for doing a lot of the things they did, save laziness/"not enough time"(original Snow Queen quest).

Even more inscrutable is the fact that Persona (and Atlus in general) was flying so low that they could have gotten away with so much worse and no one would have ever noticed!

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh are you the person who localized the game?
No, I just play them on TV.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In regular SMT at least (not sure about Persona since I don't really care about that series anymore), the type name for Expel in Japanese is "Hama" (破魔). That basically means "to exorcise, destroy/expel evil/demons".

Meanwhile, Curse is 呪殺, which means "killing curse".

They basically just pared the names down to one word for simplicity. They did pretty well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of weird spell stuff, I can't remember offhand if any game other than the DDS duo use the Tera stuff. Am I just missing/forgetting something, or is that actually the case? Seems a bit weird to have two games with 5 elements rather than 4 is all.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not having to reload for half an hour to get the right skills on something will be a godsend.

If it does work like Devil Survivor then you'll still be re-rolling a fair bit, just for the inheritance stat boosts rather than skills! :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of weird spell stuff, I can't remember offhand if any game other than the DDS duo use the Tera stuff. Am I just missing/forgetting something, or is that actually the case? Seems a bit weird to have two games with 5 elements rather than 4 is all.

Persona 1 and 2 have a series of Earth-elemental spells called Magna.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Say, does Pierce deal full damage to team leaders too, or am i still going to need Assassinate for that? And since it only mentions that it can still be reflected, does that mean that it will go through nulls and drains as well?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Technique posted:

Say, does Pierce deal full damage to team leaders too, or am i still going to need Assassinate for that? And since it only mentions that it can still be reflected, does that mean that it will go through nulls and drains as well?

As I recall, all Pierce does is bypass any resistances to phys except for reflect. So it doesn't do full damage to leaders, but it does go through Null and Drain Phys.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Quick Strange Journey question: am I ever going to get more than 10 slots for Sub-Apps for my Demonica?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Quick Strange Journey question: am I ever going to get more than 10 slots for Sub-Apps for my Demonica?

No, ten is the maximum. (However, after beating the game once, you'll gain access to an app which, while equipped, allows you to use any six other apps regardless of their size.)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sniping team leaders is a waste of experience when you can just multi-strike to kill the whole team.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Set up Multistrike with Grimoire and Stone+. It never gets old to see the first hit stone an enemy and the second crack it apart.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I always wonder why everyone hates Demon Negotiation until I'm actually in the middle of playing a game that has it and it all comes flooding back.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Why am I so good at intuitively picking the options that reverse my Crazy Girls' Social Links? In Persona 3, Yukari hated the hug I tried to give her, and now I reversed Ai's social link at the rank 3 event RIGHT before the July exams, so no summer outings for me. :sigh: I'm assuming that, like with Yukari's link in Persona 3, it'll make more sense when I get to know Ai better and process her character more.

"I never judged you for who you are!" is a very interesting/crazy line though. I can't say I've ever heard that before.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ai becomes more understandable and relatable later, but it doesn't make her social link any less frustrating to deal with. To get into nerdy tarot mode, the Moon is the arcana associated with illusion and to an extent madness so at least it makes sense that she's really fake and tough to figure out!

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Makes me wonder if fortune tellers, or at least people who work a lot with Tarot cards, would have an interesting perspective on the Persona games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PurplieNurplie posted:

Makes me wonder if fortune tellers, or at least people who work a lot with Tarot cards, would have an interesting perspective on the Persona games...

They do!

I know a little bit about the Tarot myself and feel that the characters are quite well chosen to their corresponding arcana.