Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I heard that Kazerad was on some podcast or something earlier today. Anyone hear that?

Apparently on Wednesday it will be posted here:
http://www.webcastbeacon.com/category/webcomic-beacon/

edit:

MikeJF posted:

That can't be right. She has to deliver the package to Quill-Weave. :(

Maybe she can just do that when she's a CHIM-realizing BAMF player character who has to deal with Quill-Weave's dispute with her neighbor about her pets.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I heard that Kazerad was on some podcast or something earlier today. Anyone hear that?

edit:

Maybe she can just do that when she's a CHIM-realizing BAMF player character who has to deal with Quill-Weave's dispute with her neighbor about her pets.

I still hope Kaz plans to capitalize on the whole row with the mountain lions.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I just finished reading the entire series up to where it is now. I'm really enjoying it. Of course now I'm at the point where I actually have to WAIT to get to the next part. How quickly does Prequel typically update?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Master Twig posted:

I just finished reading the entire series up to where it is now. I'm really enjoying it. Of course now I'm at the point where I actually have to WAIT to get to the next part. How quickly does Prequel typically update?

Erratically, especially lately. Kaz sometimes goes for weeks without an update, especially when he's doing animation work or those mini-games. On the other hand, in the Good Times, you can get two or three updates a week. Never quicker than that though, at least in my experience.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Welp, we tried.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

IronSaber posted:

Welp, we tried.
It could still be worse.
I wonder how long it will take for the players to throw her a shovel, though.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So, what do you guyd think that that flash of light was? Do you think that was lightning signaling the start of rain, or the orphanage signaling the start of the invasion?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So, what do you guyd think that that flash of light was? Do you think that was lightning signaling the start of rain, or the orphanage signaling the start of the invasion?

Knowing the way this is going, probably going to be rain.

Which will dissolve what's left of Katia's paint underpants. And dignity.

And she'll probably catch a cold.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

IronSaber posted:

Knowing the way this is going, probably going to be rain.

Which will dissolve what's left of Katia's paint underpants. And dignity.

And she'll probably catch a cold.
That and if she is the future Hero of Kvatch, I doubt it can be the attack underway, since it took place after the Hero's escape from the Imperial Prison (whenever the player decides to go to Kvatch).
I can see it kinda working, but it would be clunky.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stonk:

That's blood on the door. Katia swiped at it until her fingers bled.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fucknag posted:

:stonk:

That's blood on the door. Katia swiped at it until her fingers bled.

No, it's scratches and bits of wood.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

wiegieman posted:

No, it's scratches and bits of wood.

Bits of wood collected in two puddles on the ground where she was putting her hands?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's definitely blood :catstare:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 25, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Well... darn. I assumed Katia could just march right back in there and demand her stuff back but... forcefield door.

Nah's still around so I'm guessing she'll get over Katia's hurtful comments and help her. I'm not giving up on Katia the Courier yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eggie posted:

Katia the Courier

New theory: Katia's actually the protagonist from Fallout: New Vegas. She can escape her past... but she can't escape the Gamebryo engine. :v:

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

My guess is that the story will end just as she is confronted by Uriel Septim and they have that moment of mutual recognition.

"Hey, you're that cat-person I've been tormenting in my sleep!"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Cryophage posted:

"Hey, you're that cat-person I've been tormenting in my sleep!"

I was assuming that in his dreams he's just as terrified of her as she is of him. Like, in his dreams he's pushed into a small, dark room with a Cat. There’s no way out. No one to help you. And she just stands there, being a Cat.

But sure why not.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I was assuming that in his dreams he's just as terrified of her as she is of him. Like, in his dreams he's pushed into a small, dark room with a Cat. There’s no way out. No one to help you. And she just stands there, being a Cat.

But sure why not.

My cat does that and she's pretty chill about it.

Maybe you guys should have had better cats, if a cat being a cat is a scary thing.

I'm gonna go chill with my cat, who is being a cat right now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

rotinaj posted:

My cat does that and she's pretty chill about it.

Maybe you guys should have had better cats, if a cat being a cat is a scary thing.

I'm gonna go chill with my cat, who is being a cat right now.
He has allergies.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We have now reached the "wallowing in misery" phase of the Katia Manegan disaster-cycle. Prepare for a couple more updates of tears and collapsing on to the ground and curling up into a ball of shame and failing to make eye contact with people while she explains her latest sort-of-her-fault-but-also-not incident.

Most stories can cut away from these darkest of moments and cleanse the pallet then come back when the character's ready to do something again, but we're going to have to watch the whole emotional grind of the thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dolash posted:

Most stories can cut away from these darkest of moments and cleanse the pallet then come back when the character's ready to do something again, but we're going to have to watch the whole emotional grind of the thing.
Hey now.

We might cut away to somebody else who might become a friend for Katia only to be abruptly killed.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Zereth posted:

Hey now.

We might cut away to somebody else who might become a friend for Katia only to be abruptly killed.

Or maybe we'll cut away to see how awesome things are going for Gro-Upp right now.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Not only is she going to get drenched but the letter's probably going to be illegble due to water damage.

Nowhere but uphill from here, guys!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gnome de plume posted:

Not only is she going to get drenched but the letter's probably going to be illegble due to water damage.

Don't get too positive there. She's still sober, mostly unharmed and there's no pineapples or yo-yos in sight.

It can always get worse.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I didn't know which smiley to use to indicate my optimistic statement was not in the least bit sincere.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gnome de plume posted:

I didn't know which smiley to use to indicate my optimistic statement was not in the least bit sincere.
:v: is the traditional indicator for sarcasm in my experience.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Don't get too positive there. She's still sober, mostly unharmed and there's no pineapples or yo-yos in sight.

It can always get worse.

Well I mean it is about to rain. Unless she manages to lose an eye a-oh.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

I think we might end up getting something different to screw up with our expectations, since it's what I think a writer would do. At the same time, keep in mind that there's always that element represented by the suggestions/commands on the forums.
If it were me, I'd rush to recover the letter and then go to the chapel (as a safe haven, despite Martinscary monk's presence) to think things through, but between the character and the players, that's probably not going to happen

That interview made me wonder how many people read Prequel because it's an MSPA-style Oblivion comic, how many because it's interesting and how many only because the protagonist is a cat-girl. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

Here's some food for thought re: where the story is going

Kazerad posted:

I personally think circles are a respectable and underused story structure.

A lot of writers approach everything linearly, dragging their protagonists through one challenge after another and trying to never repeat themselves. A circular structure is something very different; when you have one event that repeats itself, you have time to explore it and see how it reacts to different changes. The movie Source Code is a great example in my opinion; the protagonist was forced to live the same disaster over and over again while trying to investigate and prevent it. Rather than building the plot outward, each "circle" through the same series of events went deeper and revealed more. It was a journey inward toward a goal at the center, not forward toward a goal at the end.

It is a story structure that doesn't mesh with everyone, of course. Katia is definitely going through patterns, but I think that is an important part of her character - and by extension, the story. As has been pretty overtly stated numerous times, she is fighting a pattern. It is the recurring antagonist.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I would be more inclined to agree with the circle thing if there was any visible progress being made. Katia gets a little farther along each time, but right now that's more due to the goodwill of others (Asotil demanding she practice her magic, people at the church giving her clothes). Has Katia as a character really changed that much since we started the story? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in an update or two (after we get past the "feeling sorry for herself and trying to figure out what to do next" stage) Katia just goes and gets drunk again.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Wrist Watch posted:

I would be more inclined to agree with the circle thing if there was any visible progress being made. Katia gets a little farther along each time, but right now that's more due to the goodwill of others (Asotil demanding she practice her magic, people at the church giving her clothes). Has Katia as a character really changed that much since we started the story? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in an update or two (after we get past the "feeling sorry for herself and trying to figure out what to do next" stage) Katia just goes and gets drunk again.

What about the part in the well where she learns a new spell?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I count being able to cast fireballs a new change.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

IronSaber posted:

I count being able to cast fireballs a new change.
I don't mean things she can do, I mean changes in her as a character. Is she getting more mature and making better choices? No, of course not. This latest thing with the mages guild had everyone everywhere saying that it was a bad idea to go there. Not just people making suggestions, everyone, including any character in the area when the Kvatch mages guild was brought up. Yet Katia still decided to go anyway.

That's not making better choices, the Katia from the beginning of the story would have done exactly the same thing as our current one, just sans fireballs.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Huh, if the oblivion gate shows up that means Katia isn't the main character, so that fire must be something else.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Wrist Watch posted:

You might be jumping the gun. Katia didn't give up right away when she realized Sigrid took her stuff. She threw fireballs and clawed the drat door until her fingers bled. And the night isn't over yet. What Katia does next will show how repetitive the story is and whether Katia has grown as a character, even if just a little bit. Will she jump in the bottle or at least have the courage to fall asleep sober and wallow in her misery? We'll see.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

oh yeah, this thing happened
http://www.webcastbeacon.com/webcomic-227/

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

radintorov posted:

That interview made me wonder how many people read Prequel because it's an MSPA-style Oblivion comic, how many because it's interesting and how many only because the protagonist is a cat-girl. :v:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

She cried and we did nothing.
:smith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well, at least there's nowhere to go but up, right?

...Right? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ouch.

• Locked thread