Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
So I can't seem to find the answer. On my DRZ I have the Keihin FCR39. Do I turn the idel speed screw clockwise or counterclockwise to increase the idle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Did you try turning the idle speed screw clockwise or counterclockwise until the idle increases?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
The bike isn't currently running but one of the issues I had last year was having the idle set too low so I wanted to try and eliminate that being a problem as I work on getting it started.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If it's similar to most carbed bikes turning it in (clockwise) puts pressure on the throttle cable plate bracket and puts a load on the cable basically by not letting it retract to a fully closed position. I'd try turning it in a bit but without having the bike running it's really hard to gauge how much to turn it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just run the bike and turn the screw, you're not going to hurt it.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
I'm excited I got it running today. A little starter fluid was all it needed. I'm going to run through the current tank of gas with Stabil in it tomorrow and get some fresh gas and hopefully should be good to go this season.

Also, clockwise raises the idle.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
What do you guys think of this bike?

http://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/2983634409.html

I emailed the guy about maintenance and such, this is what he replied:

"Changed oil & oil filter after I broke in the bike . I changed the air filter & spark plug once. The old spark plug indicated perfect combustion. Installed a new air cutoff valve to eliminate engine sputter during deceleration. Valve clearance is perfect after 7700 miles.
It has a larger tank, with internal vent cap. So,there is a slight mod , but all old parts go with the bike.
The tail light, turn signals hand guards & mirrors are mods.
7700 road miles (90%) does not indicate much wear at all on this solid machine.The plastic is scuffed here & there , the rims have soap stains on them.
The bike is worth more than the money.
Unfortunately,recent surgery ended my desire to own a motorcycle, or else I would keep the bike."

I'm going to go inspect this rig tomorrow and see how it is in person.

Compared to some of the deals found here, I feel this is a bit too high priced.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Around here thats a good price. I've been watching DRZ's on CL for the better part of 6 months in the midwest, and thats a $3500+ bike here

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Is there such a thing as a sport-touring tire for sumos? Conti SMs and Distanzas don't seem to last more then 3-4k according to online reviews.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Is there such a thing as a sport-touring tire for sumos? Conti SMs and Distanzas don't seem to last more then 3-4k according to online reviews.

The Distanzas come in two compounds SM and dual sport. The ds compound should last longer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

You could run something like Pilot Road 2ct's, as long as you're cognizant of how long they'll take to heat up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gnaghi posted:

Conti SM rear lasted about 3000 on my 690 with some abuse. Distanzia SM was much better, over 5k until it was too far gone. I did see some cupping, most likely because I'm not super fastidious about pressures and I'm an early-on-the-throttle kind of guy.

I'm not sure I'd want anything harder than the Distanzia SM on there honestly, I like it because it doesn't seem to just fall off a cliff grip wise when I push it and it's still pretty good in the wet.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I don't think I'd want a supersport tire on there either. Best bet is probably to go with distanzas and save money with some tire irons.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I'm pretty sure there's a bridgestone dual compound tire for lighter bikes. I tried to get some last change but the only shop in town could only get 1 tire. I want to say re 92's or 84's... but those aren't bike tires according to google.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Maybe this one? It's says "middle-size class" but one of the reviews says he got 5800 out of it on his WRX.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Test rode this here Husqvarna SM610 last night. I like it a lot. There's a similar mileage DRZ400sm at a dealership going for $6000, and all the other supermotos are either hillbillied out or $8K+ Hypermotards.

Speaking of which, I think I like it better than the Hypermotard. When I test rode the Hypermotard over the weekend, it was fast as hell but the power delivery was wonky low down (I had to slip the clutch under 2K RPM) and it felt somehow... hard to turn -- like when I tried to lean it beyond a certain amount, it just said "nope." I rode the SM610 up and down the guy's street, and did a smooth U turn at each end. Riding position feels more natural, too. On the Hypermotard it felt like I was sitting on top of the forks. On the SM610, it felt like I was in the middle of the bike.

My biggest complaint was the hard seat. I can't imagine going more than 200 miles on that thing. I emailed Corbin to see if their 06-07 seat will fit the 08; haven't heard back yet. IMS makes a 5 gallon tank (also for the 06-07) if I actually wanted to go any sort of distance. Giant Loop bags should fit with no problems. I usually don't carry too much with me when I commute, but it might be nice to look into a luggage rack at some point, too.

The leaking gasket is the oil filter cover gasket. The owner showed me where he torqued it too hard and mangled the gasket. It's due for another oil change, so I'd probably just take care of that first thing.

Chain, sprocket, brakes all look nice. There's a Husky dealership in town if for some reason I don't want to take it to one of the generalist shops. Tires are original -- does anyone know what tires come on the SM610? I'd want to know, just for funs.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good Husqvarna forum? Huskytalk is kinda dead.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 2, 2012

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
BT 39's or 45's maybe. But neither sounds familiar to me.

EDIT: Preety sure its 92's http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt92.html , but those 003 http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt003rs.html could be cool.

I found a CC chart here, http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/category/index.html .There was another chart when i looked last but their website is so bad i give up trying to find it.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 2, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Test rode this here Husqvarna SM610 last night.

From supermotojunkie

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

nobody needs a spare motor for a 610. That's a 510/450 thing.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Dubs posted:

BT 39's or 45's maybe. But neither sounds familiar to me.

EDIT: Preety sure its 92's http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt92.html , but those 003 http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt003rs.html could be cool.

I found a CC chart here, http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/category/index.html .There was another chart when i looked last but their website is so bad i give up trying to find it.

Thanks that chart is pretty useful. Probably the 90s are the old 92s or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

Test rode this here Husqvarna SM610 last night. I like it a lot. There's a similar mileage DRZ400sm at a dealership going for $6000, and all the other supermotos are either hillbillied out or $8K+ Hypermotards.

Speaking of which, I think I like it better than the Hypermotard. When I test rode the Hypermotard over the weekend, it was fast as hell but the power delivery was wonky low down (I had to slip the clutch under 2K RPM) and it felt somehow... hard to turn -- like when I tried to lean it beyond a certain amount, it just said "nope." I rode the SM610 up and down the guy's street, and did a smooth U turn at each end. Riding position feels more natural, too. On the Hypermotard it felt like I was sitting on top of the forks. On the SM610, it felt like I was in the middle of the bike.

My biggest complaint was the hard seat. I can't imagine going more than 200 miles on that thing. I emailed Corbin to see if their 06-07 seat will fit the 08; haven't heard back yet. IMS makes a 5 gallon tank (also for the 06-07) if I actually wanted to go any sort of distance. Giant Loop bags should fit with no problems. I usually don't carry too much with me when I commute, but it might be nice to look into a luggage rack at some point, too.

The leaking gasket is the oil filter cover gasket. The owner showed me where he torqued it too hard and mangled the gasket. It's due for another oil change, so I'd probably just take care of that first thing.

Chain, sprocket, brakes all look nice. There's a Husky dealership in town if for some reason I don't want to take it to one of the generalist shops. Tires are original -- does anyone know what tires come on the SM610? I'd want to know, just for funs.

I'd hit up thumpertalk or SMJ.

Congrats on the bike, keep an eye on the cam chain stretch and you'll be golden :)

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'd cross-check ADVrider. I've seen some really nice, super-farkled 610s being sold for 5-6K. The tank, uncorking, primary drive nut fix, it's a little bit to take care of and sunk cost you won't get back in resale.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2012

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Trip report on Distanzias with DS compound.

Holy poo poo these are so much better than the stock tires on my DRZ. The stock tires always felt kind of shady, these ones are fantastic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone tell me I shouldnt do this, because I think I'm about to.

I found a DRZ-SM for sale, guy seems to be the type that buys and sells all kinds of stuff all the time. I talked to him on the phone, and got him to at least be OK with $2K cash and my Traxxas Slash 4x4 in trade. The Slash is completely kitted for racing, comes with a pile of batteries, charger, and has like 4 sets of expensive tires, and the whole package is probably worth $750.

Couple things. The owner before him did a couple of goofy things. One, he sprayed the rear plastics for some reason, so they are duller and dont quite match the front ones. Also, the speedo apparently went out, so he bought another OEM Suzuki one. The bike reads like 2000 miles, but actually has around 10K based on whats on the title and adding them together.

Says it runs good, starts good, no real issues.

Clear title in his name.

Why shouldnt I pull the trigger on this?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Because you need internet validation. Here you go. "Do it"

Have fun!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Because you need internet validation. Here you go. "Do it"

Have fun!

Just giving it a sanity check, broseph. Cant operate in a vacuum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That seems like a drat good deal. Even with the oddities.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Just giving it a sanity check, broseph. Cant operate in a vacuum.

Yes, go get it. DRZ is fun! Also, those things people say about this bike making you ride like a dong, they are true.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Resource posted:

Yes, go get it. DRZ is fun! Also, those things people say about this bike making you ride like a dong, they are true.

I actually used to own an 05 DRZ-SM. I regret selling it, which is why I'm chasing after another one.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 2, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It fell through :smith:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Had I known I would've offered mine. I just sold it a little bit ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

Had I known I would've offered mine. I just sold it a little bit ago.

ATTN DRZ OWNING GOONS: Sell me your DRZ :shobon:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ditto for me and a WRX. Christ are they rare.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
So, thanks to you people I am now a DRZ-SM owner.

Today I found myself in the middle of nowhere, doing extra legal speeds on curvy pavement; then somehow ended up on a gravel road with street tires that don't grip very well but are soooo much fun to kick the rear end out on.

It's all your faults. Supermoto corrupts!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

ATTN DRZ OWNING GOONS: Sell me your DRZ :shobon:

I will sell you my DRZ. Though I don't think you are close to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I will sell you my DRZ. Though I don't think you are close to me.

Milwaukee, you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Milwaukee, you?
DC.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

DC.

Oy, bit of a drive

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Oy, bit of a drive

Don't worry, DRZs are excellent at highway riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Don't worry, DRZs are excellent at highway riding.

Dont think I didnt consider a fly-n-drive

• Locked thread