Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

I'm not sure how much faith to put in it (Wikipedia and all), but The Witcher article stated that the 2 games take place somewhat "after" the events of the book series. IE: starting up w/ his amnesia in the first game after him dying in the series or something.

Is that true at all, or is it just guesstimation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Ledneh posted:

Got through that part of the prologue after a couple more tries, thanks folks. I think I'll be using less Quen and more Yrden from now on, separating the hordes (and locking down the last guy) works bloody wonders :v:

(edit) Oh sodding hell I had bombs and traps and potions I could have used that whole time, drat and blast. :mad:

I think the general problem people have with the early game is the natural tendency to try and approach combat like a cool medieval Jedi when what you should be doing is playing a dirty rotten piece of poo poo who brings grenades and landmines to a swordfight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Saints Crow posted:

I'm not sure how much faith to put in it (Wikipedia and all), but The Witcher article stated that the 2 games take place somewhat "after" the events of the book series. IE: starting up w/ his amnesia in the first game after him dying in the series or something.

Is that true at all, or is it just guesstimation?

It's true. Geralt died to a pitch fork in the gut during one of the novels (something apparently done by the writer because he was sick of writing the character, though I don't know if there's truth in that). The games are set after this.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, it says I need to use an explosive to blow up these Nekkar nests. I don't know any explosive formulas other than ice bombs, and I don't think the alchemist stall guy has any.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Hell, it says I need to use an explosive to blow up these Nekkar nests. I don't know any explosive formulas other than ice bombs, and I don't think the alchemist stall guy has any.

You need Grapeshot bombs, I'm pretty sure you can buy the formula from either Yarpin (dwarf blacksmith) or Cedric (or just buy them directly).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Oh, some vendor in chapter 1 definitely has the formulas for all the bombs you will need.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Speedball posted:

Buy the Grapeshot schematic from Cedric. They are really cheap to make and are useful pretty much through 99% of the game as AoE fodder.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

poptart_fairy posted:

It's true. Geralt died to a pitch fork in the gut during one of the novels (something apparently done by the writer because he was sick of writing the character, though I don't know if there's truth in that). The games are set after this.

I don't quite buy that. There's probably some truth to it but I don't think it's that simple.

Plot-wise it was a bit out of left field, but narratively it fit perfectly. The whole series is largely about heroes not existing, heroism being stupid and so on. Whenever Geralt tries to do something "right" it ends up badly for him. He also often has trouble fighting regular people, especially groups, despite being a master swordsman. Over the books he slowly transforms into more of the "noble knight" stereotype - though never completely and in his actions, not his worldview - a fact which is often mocked by people who hang out with him. I think it makes perfect sense narratively to end the books with Geralt trying to commit a stupid act of heroism and getting stabbed in the heart with a pitchfork by a random, dumb, racist peasant.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
Just bought this game for xbox. I almost chose dark mode but luckily decided to read about it here. Now I am pondering between the normal and hard. I'd like to choose hard mode yet I am not sure. I don't play that often but had (almost) no problem e.g. with Dark Souls which was supposed to be hard.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Maksamakkara posted:

Just bought this game for xbox. I almost chose dark mode but luckily decided to read about it here. Now I am pondering between the normal and hard. I'd like to choose hard mode yet I am not sure. I don't play that often but had (almost) no problem e.g. with Dark Souls which was supposed to be hard.

Honestly, there really isn't much difference between the three once you 'get it' and liberally sprinkle bombs/traps and dodgeroll your rear end around in between. Barely need to use Signs.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

Honestly, there really isn't much difference between the three once you 'get it' and liberally sprinkle bombs/traps and dodgeroll your rear end around in between. Barely need to use Signs.

I've just started a Dark playthrough myself. Most fights boil down to activating Quen, dodging to get a good position, hitting an isolated enemy with a fast attack, dodging back and throwing a bomb, then repeating the sequence. No deaths so far using this approach. I am only on Chapter 1 though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's nothing better than putting 2 points into the Alchemist skill, laying down the 24 snares in a semi-circle before a big fight, and watching everything that runs at you die.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Edit: after finally making it through that fight through pure luck and reaching the commander, I am now completely stuck.

After the cutscene is over and he runs behind the shield wall, the camera pans back to Geralt who then gets several crossbow bolts in the back, killing him.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 2, 2012

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think it makes perfect sense narratively to end the books with Geralt trying to commit a stupid act of heroism and getting stabbed in the heart with a pitchfork by a random, dumb, racist peasant.

I hated the saga's ending since I first read it. Not only that, everyone I know hate it also and/or consider it weak. It wasn't a matter of theme, it's just that Sapkowski gradually ran out of steam while writing the Witcher novels. The last one is really poor, even without taking the ending into account. You're literally the first person I've seen defending it.

Sapkowski's writing quality never really recovered, his later novels (Narrenturm) were simply weak, and his last novel, "Viper" (set in Afghanistan) was pretty much destroyed in the reviews. And rightfully so.

Funny thing about Witcher books is that Sapkowski didn't really care about the lore that much. I remember reading an interview where he said that he didn't bother making a map of the Witcher world. He just wrote Geralt's journeys as he saw fit. The game writing team, on the other hand, made some of the lore and in many parts did it better than Sapkowski. I love'em for that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

I hated the saga's ending since I first read it. Not only that, everyone I know hate it also and/or consider it weak. It wasn't a matter of theme, it's just that Sapkowski gradually ran out of steam while writing the Witcher novels. The last one is really poor, even without taking the ending into account. You're literally the first person I've seen defending it.

Sapkowski's writing quality never really recovered, his later novels (Narrenturm) were simply weak, and his last novel, "Viper" (set in Afghanistan) was pretty much destroyed in the reviews. And rightfully so.

Funny thing about Witcher books is that Sapkowski didn't really care about the lore that much. I remember reading an interview where he said that he didn't bother making a map of the Witcher world. He just wrote Geralt's journeys as he saw fit. The game writing team, on the other hand, made some of the lore and in many parts did it better than Sapkowski. I love'em for that.
Has there ever really been a novel series -> game series adaptation as well thought out as this? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has there ever really been a novel series -> game series adaptation as well thought out as this? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

It's not really an adaptation so much as it is a continuation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not really an adaptation so much as it is a continuation.
I'd still call that an adaptation. The best kind really, because they can take more creative license (especially important for a game with multiple story paths).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Betrayal at Krondor is the only one I can think of, but it did a great job of nailing the feel of the setting, despite the original author not being heavily involved. I never did play the sequel, so I don't know how well it continued, but BaK is probably my favorite RPG of that era.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Holy poo poo gently caress the eternal battle on Dark... I can't fight that first standard bearer. I just get ganked pretty much immediately.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress the eternal battle on Dark... I can't fight that first standard bearer. I just get ganked pretty much immediately.

Run straight at the guy, whack him once and kite him and his cronies around while your allies nib at their heels. Try to goad the fat guy into charging through a section of the "wall" that doesn't physically block you but damages you instead like fires. He will continue running until he hits something, which can be very, very far away on that map.

The only fight I don't have a solution for yet on Dark is the Nilfgaard commander. I talk to him, the battle begins and I am shot to death before I regain control of Geralt.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
While stuck on the Nilfgaard camp, I decided to do the other path and go beat up Dethmold(who was much easier) and then have another crack at the worst boss in the game.

Who's oneshotting people now :smug:?

This was accomplished by having full adrenaline left from the last fight in Dethmold's place, a sword damage PoP, a troll trophy, full dark mode armor, the sword Dancer from the EE added quest in ch3, loaded up with 2 Ysith runes, Falka's Blood oil and a Rook potion(the others are Swallow, Tawny Owl Golden Oriole and a health PoP)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

People mentioned that everyone hated this ending, and I think they've done a decent job with the video games of retconning it and making it a pretty compelling part of the narrative.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Does the save game importation feature just record the decisions you made in the first game, or does it carry over equipment/knowledge/other things? If only the former, then obviously I will just grab one of the saves mentioned in the second post, but if the latter, great, now I have to dig through all of my old computers and hard drives and backups to see if I even kept my first game saves, as for some reason I never guessed it to be the type of game to allow importing :mad:

I am afraid of spoilers as I have still never touched the game despite buying it last year, so I apologize if this came up and I missed it :ohdear:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Some decisions, such as if you saved Adda or not, are brought in and mentioned but if you haven't played the game before it won't necessarily be obvious and others are ignored entirely (anything relating to Shani).

You get some equipment based on what gear you've got in your final save, but it's not 1 to 1. You're probably safe grabbing a save 80% close to yours or better.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

People mentioned that everyone hated this ending, and I think they've done a decent job with the video games of retconning it and making it a pretty compelling part of the narrative.

I haven't read the books, but I consume wikified information for every subject that interests me. Going by the author's overall theme of the pervasivness of racial intolerance and the consequences therein, having Geralt finally making a stand and dying for it seems a sadly appropriate way to his saga. The pitchfork to the chest just makes it sadder. 12th century racism combined with manifest destiny would probably mean the extinction of nonhumans, and Sapkowski didn't pull away from that.

If we go by the metaplot of the video games, the CDProjeckt writers may be attempting to see what this would be like were the tables turned, and how ultimately, we're not so different.

Cynical, but consistent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the books are witchers considered to be not all the way human like in the games, so people don't think it's weird if he decides to side with the elves? Or is that something they just did for the games to give you that choice?

Come to think of it, do non-humans ever become witchers? And women? That one little girl in Flotsam wants to know.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the books are witchers considered to be not all the way human like in the games, so people don't think it's weird if he decides to side with the elves? Or is that something they just did for the games to give you that choice?

Come to think of it, do non-humans ever become witchers? And women? That one little girl in Flotsam wants to know.

Pretty sure women have the potential to be witchers. I think the witcher schools just only accept boys out of tradition. One example I can think of from the first game is White Rayla. The Grand Master turns her into a mutant much like the rest of his army. I suppose none of them are technically witchers, but I imagine the Grand Master was more interested in producing them quickly and didn't have complete knowledge of the process/skipped some things.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The only witchers we see are human men. Geralt took Ciri to Kaer Morhen, where she received some training but never underwent any mutations. The other witchers weren't quite sure how to handle it and they got spooked once she started having crazy magical outbursts.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Holy crap... Second playthrough, on Iorveth's path, and just got to what I think is the end of chapter 2 (or very close). I didn't just forget finding out that Saskia is a dragon, right? That's something you don't find out on Roche's path?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Flumpus posted:

Holy crap... Second playthrough, on Iorveth's path, and just got to what I think is the end of chapter 2 (or very close). I didn't just forget finding out that Saskia is a dragon, right? That's something you don't find out on Roche's path?
Correct, that's only revealed on Iorveth's Path.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

Flumpus posted:

I did Roche's path first when I played the game and near the very end I killed the dragon so when I got to that part in Iorveth's path I realized what I did in the first playthrough and was like "Oh. Oh...."

Which was a pretty awesome effect in retrospect.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

CommonSensei posted:

I did Roche's path first when I played the game and near the very end I killed the dragon so when I got to that part in Iorveth's path I realized what I did in the first playthrough and was like "Oh. Oh...."

Which was a pretty awesome effect in retrospect.

I did the opposite, felt sorry for the dragon, so I felt pretty good about it (even though it dies anyway). But ya, definitely an awesome thing that something seemingly that big was such a surprise during a second playthrough.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 3, 2012

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
In this day and age, where it seems like Devs and publishers are cutting back on content and letting the gamer see everything in one playthrough, it's really ballsy of CDPR to do two Chapter 2s. Especially as it’s not the same content, but in a different location, everything about it is different and you have to do both sides to get the full story.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do the other paths break the game this hard once maxed out? With Alchemy I end up hitting for 400 damage on a heavy attack, 600 with berserk, which I rarely get to use simply because fights end faster then it's charged. I killed operator with a single heavy attack, beat the dragon to 0% in the tower so she died after a single attack on the roof and beat the final boss by interruping his shield, dodging past him as he started his attack sequence and walked behind him heavy attacking him in his rear end for 25% of his health per swing. I even found out that enemies who block/parry take 50% less damage and gain about 100 armor on top of what they normally have, as opposed to simply negating the attack so at the last group of enemies I simply powered through them by hitting the shieldbearers in their face for 150+ damage a swing through their shields. I didn't even need to set everything on fire with incendiary grenades as I usually do.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Having finished up chapter 2 on dark mode last night, I have to say, I survived the mist on my first try mainly because of this thread. I threw a point in riposte as was suggested many times, and it helped a great deal.

I really love it that you can't handicap yourself by putting points into lots of different things on the skill tree. As long as you actually use what you're putting points into, it's all useful. I've got magic to get more vigor and upgrade quen, alchemy to upgrade damage with bombs, and sword to get better blocking/dodging, more damage, and more vitality. I never play games on anything but your standard normal or medium difficulty, so I'm not sure what possessed me to give dark mode a shot, but I'm glad I did, but don't think it would be as fun without some really solid mechanics behind it.

Finally, chapter 2 was great. I want to say that I enjoyed Iorveth's side more than Roche's, but that may just be because of the order I played them (Roche then Iorveth).

Oh, and I finished the Oathbreaker's set (after skipping the set in chapter one), and didn't mind the effect... until I went underground and it became completely black everywhere, despite being pretty well lit without the effect. Didn't try cat, so not sure what that does to it.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 3, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flumpus posted:

Oh, and I finished the Oathbreaker's set (after skipping the set in chapter one), and didn't mind the effect... until I went underground and it became completely black everywhere, despite being pretty well lit without the effect. Didn't try cat, so not sure what that does to it.

With cat potion you can see the blood or lifeforce or whatever - all creatures are seen glowing orange even through walls and up close they get semi-transparent and you see their cardiovascular system. Brightness level is also increased for non-living things.It also adds annoying ambient sound of heartbeat. Still it's enough to let you see surroundings and monsters while underground with cursed set effect.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 3, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

With cat potion you can see the blood or lifeforce or whatever - all creatures are seen glowing orange even through walls and up close they get semi-transparent and you see their cardiovascular system. Brightness level is also increased for non-living things.It also adds annoying ambient sound of heartbeat.

Oh, right, I've used cat in general, I just meant in regards to the dark armor effect. Maybe it's the same and the effect is pretty much nullified?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flumpus posted:

Oh, right, I've used cat in general, I just meant in regards to the dark armor effect. Maybe it's the same and the effect is pretty much nullified?

No, the desaturation effect is added on top of cat effects, but you won't be blind as a bat at least.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got the mod that removes that terrible Dark effect (and the curse, though I didn't use the swords until the set was finished out of Witcher's Honor) and couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
I just got the Blasphemer's set in Chapter 1. The effect with a drawn sword is not good, why make it difficult to see? Unfortunately I'm on 360 so I can't mod it out. I think I'll just dump the swords and use regular ones.

• Locked thread