Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Fans of street theatre should watch last nights program about the giant puppets event in liverpool on iplayer. I was lucky to watch a fair bit of this amazing spectacle and the program has some great footage of the massive puppets as well as the backstory to the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Z-Magic posted:

A comedy rather than a drama but Ideal has a very serialised story-line and cracking writing.

Im going through this now, its such a strange show

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Red Dwarf has dated a bit but it's nothing compared to the high opinion they have of themselves (even the poo poo series) on the DVD documentaries. People just didn't 'get' the Cat dancing scene in series 8.

Also the best Jeremy Kyle is still probably http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sVEJxVQ5Y
Because it's insane.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

hairrorist posted:

What other dramas with serialized story arcs are recommended? I loved the Shadow Line, first few seasons of Hustle, Survivors both the old and the new, Luther, and Inside Men (which MORE PEOPLE need to watch!). I have an excruciatingly boring day job that I cannot tolerate without a movie or a TV show going to occupy my mind while I mindlessly work. This means I end up watching a ridiculous amount of TV, since movies aren't long enough, and serialized TV stories with good production and writing are really what I need. Any suggestions?

I watched the first episode of the Black Mirror, but thought the plot was utterly moronic. Does it get better?

Spooks.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

tanglewood1420 posted:

I will keep posting about Edge of Darkness from 1985 until someone quotes me and agrees it is awesome.

e: The lead actor is Bob Peck aka the crazy game hunter from Jurassic Park. :worship:

I like posting about this every few months. I first watched it on 2 tapes and though the first twenty minutes or so may be a little slow it then suddenly goes completely nuts and great. I found I didn't have the same constitution for the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy series but I wish I did.

Another good one to look at is Tales of the unexpected. I wish they'd remake this in some way, at least in concept.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Sky living is doing a new documentary series about the lives of transsexual prostitutes in the far east

"Watch this if...
You enjoy real-life documentaries
You're intrigued by the idea of a beauty pageant with a twist
You appreciate the chance to see life from someone else's perspective"

So of course they've had to call it 'Ladyboys' haven't they.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Still got to work hard to beat BBC's classy comissioning of Pramface SKY.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Wait, what was wrong with Pramface? I thought it was pretty good. Definitely in a different class to the normal BBC three comedies.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Oben posted:

Wait, what was wrong with Pramface? I thought it was pretty good. Definitely in a different class to the normal BBC three comedies.

Pramface.

The problem is the name.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Milton and Orwell could have wrote it, I'd still be loving offended by the name.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006
Nothings going to top 4 doing a documentary about "gypsies" where the subjects repeatedly point out that it's a really offensive and stupid way to refer to them and then commissioning a whole bunch of follow ups prominently using the same term.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I think Pramface upsets their coddling, patronising middle class instincts.

Giedroyc posted:

Also the best Jeremy Kyle is still probably http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sVEJxVQ5Y
Because it's insane.

I've been looking for this clip for ages, I remember my mate telling us about this and it sounded absolutely mental.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I think Pramface upsets their coddling, patronising middle class instincts.

gently caress you. I certainly wish I was middle class, but either way it is bloody offensive.

This country will never change if we accept this crap.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Giedroyc posted:

Red Dwarf has dated a bit but it's nothing compared to the high opinion they have of themselves (even the poo poo series) on the DVD documentaries. People just didn't 'get' the Cat dancing scene in series 8.

Because it's insane.
Hahaha, that the everliving gently caress?

Absolutely unbelievable, same as Leyburn I had someone tell me about this but I honestly thought he was talking poo poo.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress you. I certainly wish I was middle class, but either way it is bloody offensive.

This country will never change if we accept this crap.

Calling a young mother a pramface is offensive and I'm not going to be convinced that naming a TV show Pramface is somehow the same thing, or even comparable.

And I can tell you from my personal experience, attitudes in this country have changed dramatically towards young & single mothers over the last 30 years. Growing up to a single mother, who gave birth to me when she was a teenager, as part of a catholic family no less, I know all about people's negative attitudes.

And personally I'm not convinced that a TV Show, that sympathetically portrays this subject matter, is going to have quite the negative impact you think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They could have at least have thought up a less horrible name. If it was ITV or Channel 4 I wouldn't have been bothered but this is BBC stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Leyburn posted:

And personally I'm not convinced that a TV Show, that sympathetically portrays this subject matter, is going to have quite the negative impact you think.

Media matters a lot for peoples perception.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

They could have at least have thought up a less horrible name. If it was ITV or Channel 4 I wouldn't have been bothered but this is BBC stuff.

The thing is you can just loving imagine the writers and commissioners. Nathan Barley but without the self awareness.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'll only accept it if it's literal.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still got to work hard to beat BBC's classy comissioning of Pramface SKY.

They've wanted to name a programme that for a while.

Charlie Brooker posted:

In summary: I'd make an awful single mother. Which makes it somewhat hard to judge the inhabitants of Pramface Mansion (Mon, 9pm, BBC3). Sorry, did I say Pramface Mansion (Mon, 9pm, BBC3)? I meant to say Young Mums' Mansion (Mon, 9pm, BBC3), because that's what they've changed the name to. When the title Pramface Mansion was first announced, it was immediately held up as a quintessential example of the sensation-seeking yukkiness of contemporary TV; although since you had to be a snickering, in-on-the-gag media arsehole to know what the term "pramface" meant anyway, probably because you'd been using it yourself for the past six months on self-consciously sassy trash culture messageboards, it's hard to know (or care) precisely whose sensibilities were being offended in the first place.

Incidentally, I'm so dismal and out-of-it I had to look the word "pramface" up and I still don't think I really "get" it. I mean, as terms of abuse go, isn't it a bit weak? If you're going to sneer at the underclass, grow some balls. Come right out with it. Call them "paupers" and "scum", and sit on your balcony hurling buttered rolls at them while guffawing. Buy a top hat and a monocle, and preface every "chav"-bashing comment with the words, "I say, Godfrey..." I mean, you ARE being a snob, right? In which case, do it properly - out here, on the other side of your tissue-thin veil of irony; out here where we can see you.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Jesus, just watched the latest Theroux. That guy who looked like an older Louis, trapped in a nightmare corridor he can never leave while periodically giving dental checks. Then when he does escape it's with a wife he doesn't recognise and an old lady who also has dementia that flirts with and plots their escape. I really don't think I'd want to live if I got like that. Although saying that it was interesting watching the 80 year old woman get momentarily upset and then instantly forget it.

I'd definitely recommend Ideal, not what I was expecting when I began watching it, and then it gets progressively weirder from there. Of course BBC3 cancelled it, to make room for ... err.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

I can't get over just how insufferable Doug Naylor comes across. He talks with the benefit of hindsight, but instead of conceding, "Oh well, we were young / if we knew then...etc," apparently everything is everyone else's fault. Danny is a great dancer and the audience needs to understand we were showcasing his talents. Craig couldn't play a leading man and that's why we couldn't have Kochanski back in the early series. Waiting for God was Rob's fault because he comes from a literature sci-fi background and he wanted to do a load of backstory which *I* knew was redundant.

Criticising everyone else for stuff that happened 20 years ago is poor form enough, but you'd then expect series 7, 8 and the Dave special to be superb when it was all his own efforts...yet they were the worst of the entire run. But apparently that was the BBC's fault and the audience's fault and Chris' fault and ugh.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The fact that early Red Dwarf is occasionally oddly high concept is the best thing about it :argh:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Hear hear. Not a fan of the monster-of-the-week format from series 3, nor the adventure-of-the-week in the last few series.

I just liked watching the weird stuff that happened to a scumbag, a dead man, a hyper evolved cat and a senile computer millions of years in the future after humanity is most likely extinct :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Doug Naylor really is Red Dwarfs worse enemy.

aga. posted:

I'd definitely recommend Ideal, not what I was expecting when I began watching it, and then it gets progressively weirder from there. Of course BBC3 cancelled it, to make room for ... err.

BBC3 seems oddly willing to support the general opinion it is full of poo poo by killing off vaguely interesting stuff and airing bollocks/imports from the US.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

After this discussion I had to look up the term as I had never heard it used before the programme.
What is offensive about it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

After this discussion I had to look up the term as I had never heard it used before the programme.

The program isn't offensive in itself, I hear from the people who watched it is alright the name is a pretty derogatory term to lower class single mothers though.

If the shows writing is actually decent the name just becomes even more upsetting. Maybe it was some smug comissioners idea not sure.

Also, try to imagine a moment if Doug Naylor and Ben Elton worked on a project together to lighten the mood too.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, try to imagine a moment if Doug Naylor and Ben Elton worked on a project together to lighten the mood too.

Oh dear god. Why not just have everyone imagine kittens in a microwave?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Beens posted:

Well the definition from urban dictionary (I know) is "girl who is a little rough around the edges and wouldn't look at all out of place at 14 years of age pushing a newborn through a council estate."

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Doug Naylor and Ben Elton writing a musical about Lovejoy set in a post-nuclear holocaust future where Tinker is a robot. Whenever Tinker appears the opening riff of Tin Machine by Tin Machine plays.

Or a gritty realistic depiction of growing up on the dole in Liverpool in the 80s... featuring the music of Enya.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

Doug Naylor and Ben Elton writing a musical about Lovejoy set in a post-nuclear holocaust future where Tinker is a robot. Whenever Tinker appears the opening riff of Tin Machine by Tin Machine plays.

Or a gritty realistic depiction of growing up on the dole in Liverpool in the 80s... featuring the music of Enya.

The latter has a cameo of Saddam Hussein somehow. Comedy gold.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm trying to remember the name of a program from quite a while ago. I'm pretty sure it was a British one, shown on ITV at some point. It was sort of a historical medical drama, I guess. It starred a female as the main role, and one of the plotlines I can remember quite vividly is a woman who had an unusual swollen skull. The doctors thought it was a buldup of fluid but when they performed surgery it turns out they were actually cutting into her brain :gonk:

Also the name "Branwen" comes into mind for some reason.

Sleepy Water
May 20, 2007
Home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks.

Ddraig posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a program from quite a while ago. I'm pretty sure it was a British one, shown on ITV at some point. It was sort of a historical medical drama, I guess. It starred a female as the main role, and one of the plotlines I can remember quite vividly is a woman who had an unusual swollen skull. The doctors thought it was a buldup of fluid but when they performed surgery it turns out they were actually cutting into her brain :gonk:

Also the name "Branwen" comes into mind for some reason.

Sounds like Bramwell: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1114919/

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Richard Hammond presenting a nature programme on the BBC. :ughh:

Aren't all three of the Top Gear prats global warming-denying, James Delingpole wannabes?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Quanta posted:

Aren't all three of the Top Gear prats global warming-denying, James Delingpole wannabes?

No? Clarkson alone might actually be that, but then it's difficult to separate what he actually believes from the stuff he says just to piss off thin-skinned twats.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

No? Clarkson alone might actually be that, but then it's difficult to separate what he actually believes from the stuff he says just to piss off thin-skinned twats.

He's genuinely a global warming denier, and from reading about James May, his position seems to be "nanana I don't care" and happens to be one of the morons who believes bovine flatulence contributes more towards global warming than vehicles and industry. I can't seem to find anything on the subject for Hammond, though, so I suppose that's a good thing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Quanta posted:

Richard Hammond presenting a nature programme on the BBC. :ughh:

Don't think James May believes any of it; his programmes for the Open University a couple of years ago had a lot of very positive stuff on renewable energy sources.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Quanta posted:

happens to be one of the morons who believes bovine flatulence contributes more towards global warming than vehicles and industry.

It's not more than vehicles and industry because that's the majority of emissions, but cow burps (not farts) contribute a fair percentage of methane to the greenhouse effect.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 2, 2012

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

NaDy posted:

It's not more than vehicles and industry because that's the majority of emissions, but cow burps (not farts) contribute a fair percentage of methane to the greenhouse effect.

Of course, but it's been my impression that people who genuinely believe gassy cows are the primary cause for global warming usually follow it up with crazy nonsense like "and that's why curbing CO2 emissions from vehicles, shipping and industry is a complete waste of time and tree hugging".

I'd prefer the BBC not to keep recycling the Top Gear presenters and have someone more suitable for a nature programme, but whatever, at least Mark Thompson is leaving soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Quanta posted:

Of course, but it's been my impression that people who genuinely believe gassy cows are the primary cause for global warming usually follow it up with crazy nonsense like "and that's why curbing CO2 emissions from vehicles, shipping and industry is a complete waste of time and tree hugging".

Yeah that's true, I totally know people like this. Didn't know James May thought that though!