Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've never used it, but I've seen people on these forums post about how great Feliway is all the time. And I don't even post/lurk here all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It definitely helped when our old man cat and my sister's stupid territorial Maine Coon were pissing all over my house. Noticeable difference within 24 hours of plugging it in.

We also plugged one in the morning before I went and picked up our kittens, and they adjusted beautifully with almost no hiding or nervousness, but I can't guarantee the diffuser had anything to do with that.

Caligula Caesar
Feb 19, 2008

I wasn't a god after all...
I have a question that may be a little off-topic for this thread, but I was wondering if any goons know of pet-friendly extended stay hotels in Manhattan--preferably close to Times Square. I have a summer internship in the city (~11 weeks) and it seems that no sublet will allow pets, and my folks aren't too keen on having to take care of a cat again this summer.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I have a dog backpack question. I have an approximately 2-year-old German Shepherd who I plan to do a ton of hiking with this summer. I've fitted him with a backpack and taught him to carry it with a small bottle of water on each side. I'd like him to eventually be able to carry at least his own water, and maybe some additional supplies as well. I like to do solo backpacking trips and I'd like him to help me carry the load.

Is there a way to figure out how much weight a dog can safely carry? I'm guessing I should condition him fairly gradually, but I don't know what he can work up to. Of course it's not a huge backpack but it's pretty good size and if I pack it full of water it seems kind of heavy. My vet didn't really know the answer, other than that he's old enough to not worry about working him. He's 86 pounds as of two weeks ago (our last vet appointment) so a pretty big dog.

I just don't want to overload my buddy. :ohdear:

edit: Oh yeah, one more question. When I was buying dog food at Petsmart the other day, I was ambushed by a Nutro rep. We got into a nice conversation and she was telling me I really should have him on a special large breed food. I have 5 dogs, and the other 4 are all medium-sized herding breeds. It's a lot easier for me to feed them all the same thing and initially I dismissed it as her job to be selling me on buying as many Nutro products as possible, but now I keep worrying about it and I can't find the pet nutrition megathread. Do I need to put him on a large breed food or will he be okay on the basic Nutro Natural Choice food? I want him to be my hiking and running buddy for a good long time so I want him as healthy as possible (not that I wouldn't want that anyway).

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 4, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
The Pet Nutrition Thread is stickied at the top of the page.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

I have a dog backpack question. I have an approximately 2-year-old German Shepherd who I plan to do a ton of hiking with this summer. I've fitted him with a backpack and taught him to carry it with a small bottle of water on each side. I'd like him to eventually be able to carry at least his own water, and maybe some additional supplies as well. I like to do solo backpacking trips and I'd like him to help me carry the load.

Is there a way to figure out how much weight a dog can safely carry? I'm guessing I should condition him fairly gradually, but I don't know what he can work up to. Of course it's not a huge backpack but it's pretty good size and if I pack it full of water it seems kind of heavy. My vet didn't really know the answer, other than that he's old enough to not worry about working him. He's 86 pounds as of two weeks ago (our last vet appointment) so a pretty big dog.

I just don't want to overload my buddy. :ohdear:

One third their body weight is the rule of thumb for the maximum they should carry. Start low and work your way up. With an 80+ pound dog you will have to try pretty hard to go too heavy.

Shelby carries a little over 10 pounds and she weighs 60 pounds.

It works great for tiring her out. Though she is getting used to it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can anyone suggest a good dog toy that squeaks and is fairly invulnerable? We live in the countryside so every few weekends we bring my girlfriend's mum's dog from the city to stay with us. I always get him a toy but I've not found a squeaky one that stays squeaky for more than five minutes. He's a border collie so it can't be anything too small in case he swallows it (I guess?).

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Invalid Octopus posted:

The Pet Nutrition Thread is stickied at the top of the page.

:downs: Not sure how I missed that one...I went back several pages looking for it. Thanks.

Stregone, thanks. Tiring him out is definitely one of my priorities. He seems to have endless energy. That's a good-looking dog you have there, too!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just got issued a bunch of permethrin-treated uniforms. What should I do about cat safety? I know that the liquid products are toxic as hell to cats but I don't know what treated clothing will do.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Sanford posted:

Can anyone suggest a good dog toy that squeaks and is fairly invulnerable?

My husky only likes toys that she can destroy. The ONLY toy that has lasted more than one day of unsupervised play is this. http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Pets-Tug-Dog-Large/dp/B003TAR7GS

The ball inside is about 6 inches in diameter and rubber and squeaky. If you tug on each handle it compresses the ball and squeaks then too. The first damage she does to it is chew the handles and get the stuffing out. Then the handles eventually get ripped off and i throw them away. She finally chewed the cover off her first one and it's just the ball now. The ball hasn't popped yet which kinda surprised me but it's lasted over a month and is her favorite toy and squeaks still. I just started giving her the 2nd one I bought and interchanging it with the old one to keep it fresh.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 4, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Sanford posted:

Can anyone suggest a good dog toy that squeaks and is fairly invulnerable? We live in the countryside so every few weekends we bring my girlfriend's mum's dog from the city to stay with us. I always get him a toy but I've not found a squeaky one that stays squeaky for more than five minutes. He's a border collie so it can't be anything too small in case he swallows it (I guess?).

Quaffle is 70 pounds and loves ripping apart any stuffed toy he comes across, but he has a giraffe stuffed squeaky toy that has somehow lasted him since the middle of February. It has stuffing in the head and body (which is where the squeaker is) but the neck is elastic so it stretches and flops around as he plays with it. I think the flopping is fun enough that he feels that he doesn't have to rip it apart. He's had other stuffed toys that were in pieces by the next day but this one is still going strong because it's fun and squeaky even when he's not chewing it apart.

I got it at Wal-Mart (and what's left of the tag says Wal-Mart so it's not a name brand) but there are other companies that make similar things. I think I paid $5 (if that) so it's nothing super expensive.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I found these birds in a plastic water container thing. I've seen mom once or twice. She always flies off when we open the door. This nest is basically located in front of our exit door , which can be a stressful place for mom raising her nest since the door opens up literally a foot from where her babies are. The reason I became worried enough to take pictures was I started thinking that this container looks to small for 3 chicks? to be inside. How will they spread their wings? This isnt your typical birds nest perched on a branch. They will have no room soon I fear to breath or grow.

I'm afraid to move the container in case momma bird loses track of them or forgets

uptown
May 16, 2009
I'm gonna adopt a dog from a greyhound rescue when I get home from vacation in a few months. They do a home visit beforehand, and that's just fine with me. What kinds of things do you guys think they'll be looking for? I have a clean house, a huge fenced yard, and tons of room. I think I'll be fine if I just make sure the floors are nice and vacuumed, and there's nothing dangerous for doggies lying around, but I'm a little unsure - just kind of worrisome to have someone making the decision of whether or not I'm fit to adopt, when I'm used to the SPCA just handing over pets.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
It really depends on the rescue, but it sounds like you'll be fine. The ones I've worked with (not greyhounds, but other breed-specific rescues) were looking for things like an adequate fence, basic cleanliness (doesn't have to be spotless, just not living in squalor), and a dog-safe home. Really, they're just making sure that your home is going to be safe and healthy for the dog. It's a good idea to develop a plan for things like where you'll put the dog's crate and where you'll feed it, because they may discuss that with you. Again, they'll more be looking to make sure things are safe and that you've planned for the reality of having a dog.

Most rescues specify their requirements somewhere on their website or contract. I'd just give those a quick read-over to make sure you're okay on things like fence height.

There are also some crazy rescues that are insanely picky, but most greyhound rescues seem pretty reasonable from what I've seen. And you can't really please the insane rescues anyway.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I found these birds in a plastic water container thing. I've seen mom once or twice. She always flies off when we open the door. This nest is basically located in front of our exit door , which can be a stressful place for mom raising her nest since the door opens up literally a foot from where her babies are. The reason I became worried enough to take pictures was I started thinking that this container looks to small for 3 chicks? to be inside. How will they spread their wings? This isnt your typical birds nest perched on a branch. They will have no room soon I fear to breath or grow.

I'm afraid to move the container in case momma bird loses track of them or forgets

That...is certainly a heck of a place for a nest. I'm not super knowledgeable about wild birds or anything, but I wouldn't worry about the babies having room. They're used to packing in very close, and many species of birds are cavity nesters--they build their nests in holes in trees, sometimes quite deep and confined.

Do you know what kind they are? If not, you might ask the Critterquest thread for help IDing the species and some insight into how they normally nest? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474165&userid=0& perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Roommate has a cat and the litter box odor makes the entire basement reek and im curious if there is anything that can be done about the smell

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Black Noise posted:

Roommate has a cat and the litter box odor makes the entire basement reek and im curious if there is anything that can be done about the smell

Clean it more. Try a different type of litter. But really, he should clean it more.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Black Noise posted:

Are they kinda lazy with taking care of the litter? It's gross, but just something you gotta do if you own an indoor cat. For the record cats loving hate it as much as you do when their litter smells. Tell the roommate that if they're slow doing it purely for your sake. They don't need to change the whole thing every day but keeping a litter poo-free is essential to having air you can breathe.

If they're responsible and clean, and it's just the enclosed space making life hard, then there are various litter brands you can try. Someone listed some a few pages back I think.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
What everyone's said above about cleaning. Also, if the basement is kind of dank and humid (which I'm assuming it is, being a basement), that can contribute to smells lingering. When the urine and poop dry quickly the smell is much less persistent.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I have a question about seasonal allergies (hayfever) in cats. When I adopted Indy last June, she had a bit of a drippy nose. The vet said that because she wasn't showing other allergy signs (sneezing, watery eyes, itchy skin, rash, etc) it probably wasn't hayfever but instead might be caused by a benign nasal polyp and therefore not anything to worry about. The runny nose continued off and on, and without my realizing it, went away in fall. Recently (in the midst of spring allergy season) I noticed her drippy nose has come back. So now I'm back to wondering if it is spring/summer allergies - mine have been miserable too recently.

Of course I'm going to ask the vet at her wellness check up next month, but I'm curious as to what I can expect. Do allergies in cats typically only show up via sneezing or skin problems? Do vets typically recommend allergy tests in this situation? If we determine she has allergies, should I anticipate this warranting treatment? My parents had a cat who got "allergy shots" every spring (some kind of corticosteroid, I think), but she had a really bad itchy/dandruff problem and was chewing at herself. As far as I can tell it doesn't bother Indy at all as there are no changes in her behavior (although her purring definitely sounds congested), but I'd rather not have her dripping all over me and my stuff if there is a fairly straightforward solution.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Sanford posted:

I have one of these for my toy-destroyer. I've had it for about 4 months now or so and it doesn't even so much as have a hole in it. She loves it and will squeak on it every day for hours if I let her.

Comes in a few different sizes. She's destroyed every squeaky toy I've ever given her but this one.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So, does anyone have a detatchable shower head thing to wash their dog/cat?

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Jet-Washer-One-Handed-Grooming/dp/B000BHP47G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was looking at that, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We use something similar at work, and it's awesome, but this is the only one I've found so far.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Jet-Washer-One-Handed-Grooming/dp/B000BHP47G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I was looking at that, and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We use something similar at work, and it's awesome, but this is the only one I've found so far.

Well, the top review mentions competitor Rapidbath, which has a much better rating.

edit: searching for "dog bathing system" also brings up this one and probably a few more.

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 6, 2012

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Are the pet accident spray and cleaners any better than me just getting a washcloth, hot water and soap for carpet?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

CatchrNdRy posted:

Are the pet accident spray and cleaners any better than me just getting a washcloth, hot water and soap for carpet?

Yes, like a million times better. Special enzymatic cleaners actually do a great job of removing nearly all traces of the odor, which is important to help prevent animals from continuing to eliminate in the same place because it smells like a potty area. Nature's Miracle is what I use, and it's great.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Serella posted:

Yes, like a million times better. Special enzymatic cleaners actually do a great job of removing nearly all traces of the odor, which is important to help prevent animals from continuing to eliminate in the same place because it smells like a potty area. Nature's Miracle is what I use, and it's great.

great, what about the actual removal and cleaning of the stain itself? is it mainly an odor thing?

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Update on Wally real quick! Took him to the vet on Friday, and it was conjectured he had either a spider bite or ringworm or something, so he got some antibiotics and a topical steroid treatment. He's not chewing on it anymore and it appears to be clearing up so hooray!

Bonus picture of one of his many weird sleeping positions. I would love to post more of them, but it's rare we actually get to snap a photo before he seems to get self-conscious and wakes up.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

CatchrNdRy posted:

great, what about the actual removal and cleaning of the stain itself? is it mainly an odor thing?

I've used Nature's Miracle for years and it does a pretty good job on stains. After it's dried completely and I'm certain the enzymes have done their job and removed any possible odor, if there's still a stain I follow it up with a regular carpet cleaner.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Bash Ironfist posted:

I just have a detachable shower head and the hose is long enough to reach the floor of the tub (I think I have this). I use it to wash the dogs which is super convenient, but it is also a really nice shower head for the humans in the house too. It does not squirt out soap ... is that really all of that useful? Looks like you'd have to buy specific shampoo cartridges for it, so factor that in too. The Raindance one is kind of pricey (but totally worth it :colbert:) however, you can pick up something similar at somewhere like Target too if you wanted to look first in the $20 - $40 range. Make sure they have a long hose and all that.

So you can see how big it is compared to my lady hand:

It is awesome for getting deep into my dogs' coats - they both have a lot of thick, longer fur. Not sure how useful that is for Feldman, but I love it (my dogs, not so much :D)

RurouNNy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 7, 2012

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

We adopted Mendel - a 1 yr old, 42 pound (probably) border collie/retriever mix -- from the Humane Society two days ago, and he's a great dog! Super friendly, relaxed, great with our cats (Watson and Crick). But after taking him to the vet today it turns out he has hip dysplasia:

Does anyone have experience with this? Our vet referred us to an orthopedic vet for a consultation, but if anyone has some personal advice that would be great. Thanks!

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.
Is it worth pursuing a misdiagnosis (financial reimbursement) with my former vet that probably stemmed from a very incomplete examination/advice and resulted in two weeks of a developing infection on my kitty's leg and a larger bill at a new vet to treat the first problem and resulting issues, or should I just write them an unhappy letter, leave a negative review online and leave it at that?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The latter, and also complain to your state's licensing board. Also you could ASK for some money back, but you probably aren't going to find a lawyer who won't charge you a lot up front/tell you that you will come even close to recovering what you have to pay the lawyer (5 grand would be a ballpark estimate).

The only success story I've heard is some people who were mad but all they wanted was an apology, so they hired a pretty dang good lawyer who not only got the vet to apologize, but to go to some sort of continuing education on the screw up and some equipment for their practice (I think their dog died under anesthesia due to lack of puls ox monitoring, but I'm not sure if that's right), and a donation to the local dachshund charity.

But at the end of the day, it still cost them money.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Bwee posted:

We adopted Mendel - a 1 yr old, 42 pound (probably) border collie/retriever mix -- from the Humane Society two days ago, and he's a great dog! Super friendly, relaxed, great with our cats (Watson and Crick). But after taking him to the vet today it turns out he has hip dysplasia:

Does anyone have experience with this? Our vet referred us to an orthopedic vet for a consultation, but if anyone has some personal advice that would be great. Thanks!

I'm not an expert at reading x-rays, but it looks like the dysplasia is fairly advanced. And the pup is only 1 year old? To put it bluntly, either start saving your pennies now or consider returning him to the Humane Society - it won't be cheap. (Also, I'm not an expert in HD, so, take everything with a grain of salt.) The orthopedic vet will give you an idea of how viable/expensive surgery will be.

As far as basic day to day living, talk with your vet about pain meds, and if they're necessary. Keep exercise to relatively low impact, but don't forgo it because that muscle is what he's going to need to hold everything together as the disease progresses. Consider a Fit Paws exercise ball, and perhaps consulting with a doggy physiotherapist on proper exercises for him.

How did you guys diagnose it? Is he showing signs of pain or weakness? It's not often that a standard vet visit ends in x-rays being taken.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

a life less posted:

I'm not an expert at reading x-rays, but it looks like the dysplasia is fairly advanced.

What criteria are you using to make a statement like this?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Cruxxed Up posted:

Is it worth pursuing a misdiagnosis (financial reimbursement) with my former vet that probably stemmed from a very incomplete examination/advice and resulted in two weeks of a developing infection on my kitty's leg and a larger bill at a new vet to treat the first problem and resulting issues, or should I just write them an unhappy letter, leave a negative review online and leave it at that?

Talk to the vet first before you contact the board - board complaints are a big deal for vets and can lead to a lot of problems for them. It's ok to be unhappy, but mistakes happen. Calmly explain the problem and why you are unhappy and give the vet a chance to explain, learn from the error, and apologize. It's very likely they'd what to know that something went wrong so that they can avoid it in the future. Most vets wouldn't deliberately do something to injure a pet.

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

Dogen posted:

The latter, and also complain to your state's licensing board. Also you could ASK for some money back, but you probably aren't going to find a lawyer who won't charge you a lot up front/tell you that you will come even close to recovering what you have to pay the lawyer (5 grand would be a ballpark estimate).

Enelrahc posted:

Talk to the vet first before you contact the board - board complaints are a big deal for vets and can lead to a lot of problems for them. It's ok to be unhappy, but mistakes happen. Calmly explain the problem and why you are unhappy and give the vet a chance to explain, learn from the error, and apologize. It's very likely they'd what to know that something went wrong so that they can avoid it in the future. Most vets wouldn't deliberately do something to injure a pet.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick with talking to the vet and just aiming for an apology...my brother-in-law lawyer sort of laughed at me and said what Dogen did.

Part of the was my own fault, I wasn't too impressed with this vet hospital to begin with but they were inexpensive and had been the go-to vet for the shelter where I adopted my cats, so they had given them all their shots and spayed them. I just stuck with them since they knew the cats and were nice enough. But the main problem was the vet who saw my cat on the last visit was fairly young and (I assume) inexperienced. She really didn't want to handle him and according to the vet I saw today, really should have done X, X, and Y, and only did some of Y based on a very cursory exam.

The difference between the two exams was amazing, and at the least from this incident I've found someone with experience and knowledge that took the time to fully explain the main suspected condition, the possible condition that is extremely unlikely, why these shots were necessary to relieve the pain of the infection and act as an immune booster, how to apply topical medication, and answered every one of my questions. As inconvenient as it is, I really didn't mind having to pay the extra costs since it was absolutely worth it.

So moral of the story: You really get what you pay for.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So, I just found out that I majorly screwed up my leg. I get to rest it/be on crutches for a month, then have a surgery which will probably require at least another month of rest. I have 5 dogs, but a huge fenced-in yard so my 4 older dogs will be able to self-exercise as well as play games like fetch (games where I can sit down, basically) to keep them occupied. The youngest one is 7 and while it's not ideal, they'll be able to deal with it for a couple of months.

The problem is my 2-year-old GSD. He's extremely high-energy and I just got him as a pretty untrained dog (there's a bit of history for anyone who might have read previous posts, but it's not really relevant). He's been coming along really well but I exercise him a ton. We spend about half an hour on obedience and/or trick training a day, then I run with him for an hour and a half 5 days a week, go for at least a 4-5 hour hike one day a week (last week we went on a 16-hour one, which is what hosed up my knee), and usually walk for an hour on every day but the long hike day. So in other words, a ton of exercise and stimulation. Even with all this, he has energy to spare. I've literally never met such an energetic beast, and my other dogs are working-bred herding dogs so I know energetic breeds.

Any tips on dealing with him during my two-month layup? My girlfriend will come over and walk him whenever she can, but that's only going to be 3-4 days a week at the most and she doesn't run or anything. I'm planning on significantly increasing trick-training time to give him the mental stimulation (broken up throughout the day because I work from home) and of course he'll be able to play fetch in the yard and all that. I'm just wondering how I'm going to be able to burn off all his energy without being able to run/hike/etc.

Cruxxed Up posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick with talking to the vet and just aiming for an apology...my brother-in-law lawyer sort of laughed at me and said what Dogen did.

I think this is your best bet, but I will also say that I've worked in animal health (not as a vet) and my insurance company was very firm about me not apologizing for mistakes I made if I wanted them to cover me. I would treat complications resulting from my mistakes for free, but I wouldn't have told you, "I'm sorry I misdiagnosed your cat." (well, I didn't diagnose animals but hopefully you see what I mean) I'd want to, but I'd also not want to go bankrupt if you decided to sue me anyway. I'm not sure how veterinary insurance works but it's something to keep in mind.

Your best recourse probably is a call to the state licensing board. Even very good professionals make mistakes sometimes, and they're probably in the best position to determine whether it was malpractice or a simple accident. It probably isn't worth it to take it to court.

I hope your cat recovers well.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

2tomorrow posted:

So, I just found out that I majorly screwed up my leg. I get to rest it/be on crutches for a month, then have a surgery which will probably require at least another month of rest. I have 5 dogs, but a huge fenced-in yard so my 4 older dogs will be able to self-exercise as well as play games like fetch (games where I can sit down, basically) to keep them occupied. The youngest one is 7 and while it's not ideal, they'll be able to deal with it for a couple of months.

The problem is my 2-year-old GSD. He's extremely high-energy and I just got him as a pretty untrained dog (there's a bit of history for anyone who might have read previous posts, but it's not really relevant). He's been coming along really well but I exercise him a ton. We spend about half an hour on obedience and/or trick training a day, then I run with him for an hour and a half 5 days a week, go for at least a 4-5 hour hike one day a week (last week we went on a 16-hour one, which is what hosed up my knee), and usually walk for an hour on every day but the long hike day. So in other words, a ton of exercise and stimulation. Even with all this, he has energy to spare. I've literally never met such an energetic beast, and my other dogs are working-bred herding dogs so I know energetic breeds.

Any tips on dealing with him during my two-month layup? My girlfriend will come over and walk him whenever she can, but that's only going to be 3-4 days a week at the most and she doesn't run or anything. I'm planning on significantly increasing trick-training time to give him the mental stimulation (broken up throughout the day because I work from home) and of course he'll be able to play fetch in the yard and all that. I'm just wondering how I'm going to be able to burn off all his energy without being able to run/hike/etc.

Have you considered hiring someone to exercise him during the off days when your gf can't make it? And if you trust any of the teens in your neighborhood, you might be able to find one that would be willing to give your dog a long walk for some pocket money.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Looking for a teen or someone like that is a really good idea. I've looked into dog walking services (the injury happened two weeks ago, but I just got the official confirmation of how bad it is :(), but I live in a pretty small town and the only professional dog walker taking on new clients in my area...well, let's just say she's not someone I trust to be handling my dog. She's a big fan of Cesar Milan and talked a lot about dominance theory and "showing them who's the boss," and I don't want my dog handled like that. We've done 100% positive training so far and I want to keep it that way. But I can definitely put the word out for a reliable kid looking for some extra pocket money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bwee posted:

Hip dysplasia can be a complex disease with a lot of variance patient to patient, which changes what is and is not viable. Your vet suggested referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon likely because they felt the Orthopod would be better at initial assessment and management.

There are several methods of managing hip dysplasia. They range from low cost to high cost - there are positives and negatives to each, which vary from patient to patient. The Orthopedic Surgeon will likely be willing to discuss all aspects of therapy with you, seeing as treatment options vary widely patient to patient and requires extensive physical examination to come to a good conclusion.

There's conservative management and surgical management of hip dysplasia. Often, the surgical management comes with some of the aspects of conservative management.

Conservative management includes things like: physical therapy (lots of Orthopods have the therapists they like/know do good work) and pain meds (either through anti-inflammatories or through pain meds).

Surgical management varies, and is highly dependent on patient situation and what you're looking for in the future - are you looking for your dog to simply be comfortable, or are you looking for a comfortable dog who can herd sheep/run agility/gallop alongside you in a marathon? The costs also vary widely. Generally after surgery there is a period of physical therapy to make sure things are going well and don't get worse from disuse.

There are surgeries where the head of the femur (the upper leg bone that attaches to the pelvis) is simply taken off and the surrounding musculature is used to make a 'false joint.' No rubbing, no pain! They can have a weird walk.

Then there are surgeries where they'll cut out the bad parts and put in prosthetics - Total Hip Replacement - which is generally accepted as being the most expensive. It can also give the greatest return to function.

And there are probably numerous other surgeries I can't name off the top of my head because every surgeon likes to make their own surgeries and be extra special.

I have seen numerous dogs in each category of therapy do well with their disease - and I have also seen dogs do poorly. All of the options can be appropriate, but they depend heavily on the patient - how they move during physical exam, how they react during range of motion, how everything looks in radiographs (likely more will need to be taken)... and all that stuff requires an in-person examination.

tl;dr: Hip dysplasia and its therapeutic options vary so widely that advice/recommendations from the Internet don't mean much, as they're fairly patient specific and require the patient to be examined heavily in person.