Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

...I think I'm done. I've been enjoying the comic, but I just can't stand to see all the comments telling the character she's a piece of poo poo when she's at her lowest. Who even does that?

Too depressing to read. :(

edit: No ill will, Kazerad. I just... I guess I'm a bit of a chump when it comes to characters like this.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, at least there's nowhere to go but up, right?

...Right? :smith:
A bottle came out of the trash can. A bottle with a cork still in it. A bottle that still probably contains liquid or a particular variety.

Bobulus posted:

...I think I'm done. I've been enjoying the comic, but I just can't stand to see all the comments telling the character she's a piece of poo poo when she's at her lowest. Who even does that?

Too depressing to read. :(
Considering that the username of the person suggesting all of that was "Self-Loathing," I don't think it's because he/she/it is genuinely a bastard; just aware of their role in this comic's narrative.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 2, 2012

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Prequel, Or Making The Audience Feel Bad About Making A Catgirl Cry: The Adventure

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

^^^ - dammit, I didn't see the cork in it, there goes my theory. Still, there's going to be different consequences in this town at least.

Well poo poo.

As hopeless an idea as it is, the stuff is still all in Sigrid's place, so it's not literally impossible to get it back from there assuming Sigrid hasn't sorted or stuffed it away any better than the rest of the crap she's taken from people who don't know how to fight against alchemical coercion properly.

Assuming that bottle is empty or diluted beyond even Katia's intoxication capacity, the biggest change about this iteration cycle might be that this is the first time Katia is incapable of getting blackout drunk after feeling like it's the end of her world. That's.. not going to be remotely fun, but the potential for disrupting the cycle is there. Of course, now that I say this the next comic is going to be her finding it unopened and chugging the whole thing first chance she gets.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

Considering that the username of the person suggesting all of that was "Self-Loathing," I don't think it's because he/she/it is genuinely a bastard; just aware of their role in this comic's narrative.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Now I wonder if that's a particularly rear end in a top hat user, or Kaz joining in on the commenting format. :smith:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I just noticed that. Now I wonder if that's a particularly rear end in a top hat user, or Kaz joining in on the commenting format. :smith:

It's an actual guy. He manages to remain remarkably thematic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
As long as it keeps the updates rolling I don't mind, it's good entertainment. :v:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kazerad posted:

Well, then, gently caress that guy. :(

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kazerad posted:

That is pretty cool, I have to say.
And thematically appropriate, given what you've told us about the character's own personality.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man this was a good update, it basically made my day. I don't think you'll be able to top this one, kazerad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm tempted to sign up and make a psychotic gimmick account purely for loving with the comic.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm impressed with how heartwrenching this story can get. Just when you think Katia's hit rock bottom, she digs a little deeper. That's Katia's character development right there: she's becoming more and more assured that's she completely worthless.

Roger Explosion posted:

A bottle came out of the trash can. A bottle with a cork still in it. A bottle that still probably contains liquid or a particular variety.
Maybe that bottle is full of some buff potion that Katia can use to break into Sigrid's place and take all her stuff back.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm tempted to sign up and make a psychotic gimmick account purely for loving with the comic.
I say do it. I'm half tempted to sign up as "Sense of Hunger" and constantly pester Katia to eat things.

Eggie posted:

Maybe that bottle is full of some buff potion that Katia can use to break into Sigrid's place and take all her stuff back.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 2, 2012

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I could not be happier with the resolution of this arc. Oh wait, i can read the user comments, so yes i can.

yeah posted:

gently caress you web comic maker. You’re a loving gay rear end in a top hat. It’s an ADVENTURE, you ADVENTURE and get BETTER/FASTER/STRONGER/HARDER not LOSE EVERYTHING WE’VE WORKED FOR IN A SINGLE INSTANT.

loving wank. Go learn how to make a real plot line instead of loving restarting the story all over again and again and again.

gently caress YOU SPECKLE STICKS, gently caress YOU.

gently caress YOU KAZERAD posted:

gently caress off and die in a fire

I was so sure it'd end with the vampire smelling the blood and coming back and kissing away the bleeding again, but this is much better.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Roger Explosion posted:

Huh, I hadn't noticed that.
I do hope it's empty and/or it's not an alcoholic beverage, because there's chance and then there's contrived. :rolleyes:
Still, the rage-filled replies are pretty entertaining.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Tempted to make an account on the MSPA forums named Confidence and try to get this wet cat back on her pawsfeet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got an idea. Okay, so do you guys know Fight Club?

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
I am Katia's broken heart?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Still, there's going to be different consequences in this town at least.

I dunno, I reckon she could make it back whilst wasted.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I dunno, I reckon she could make it back whilst wasted.

...and run into Gro-Upp or other bad guys without protection? Though it would be interesting if somehow her competency at fighting were higher while blitzed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

...and run into Gro-Upp or other bad guys without protection?

I was going to say that Katia has nothing for Gro-Upp to steal and he does not seem to be a fan of the Kvatch Mage's Guild and thus may be a potential ally, but that would require Katia to talk about the Kvatch Mage's Guild :ohdear:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Taking all bets on who she wakes up with this time. My money's on the clannfear.

Alternatively this is the lowpoint where she joins that cult outside the city, since her cult predilection is sort of a Chekov's gun. I mean it could start innocently enough, maybe the guy camping outside has a spare robe she could borrow. Don't think avoiding drink by joining a cult constitutes forward progress (unless it's AA), but that fits Kaz's circle-talkin'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

...and run into Gro-Upp or other bad guys without protection?

You mean again?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

MikeJF posted:

You mean again?

Last time she met Gro-Upp while blitzed he was in town; I highly doubt he's really interested in picking up girls while working his 9-5, especially one he's robbed before who doesn't have anything worth taking this time. Plus that would mean taking away the whole 'waking up in bed with some strange person/creature inexplicably' part of the cycle. Other bandits/monsters may just not be receptive to her advances.

Also it seems just plain simpler to remain in the town where she gets blitzed rather than go on a four-hour trek back to Quill-Weave's house.

e: Also also, she doesn't really know her way back to Anvil and I doubt she's better at reading signs while blackout drunk.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 2, 2012

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
So I'm just going to throw these out there.
Stephane isn't a guild member. He also isn't obviously charmed by Sigrid, and it's difficult to say whether or not he's actually her friend. Friendly, yes, but loyalty might be non withstanding. I doubt he'd steal all of Katia's things back, but he might be able to swing getting Sigrid to part with a letter that has absolutely no monetary value whatsoever.

Also, I'm genuinely curious what business NAH has with Sigrid. Definitely didn't seem too thrilled about the ordeal. Especially considering her bone to pick with alchemy. But hey who knows maybe NAH will recognize the cloak, and indulge in a bit of heroism before Sigrid horribly murders her.

In the end, it shouldn't be too hard to re-pen Quill-Weave's letter. I mean the guy poorly wrote out some pretty awful insults before spitting into it. Wouldn't be surprised if all Katia had to do to claim the mission a success is to find a blank sheet a paper, spit into it, and hand that over. Although the question arises if that's something Katia would do.

I don't know, I'm just rambling off some ideas.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Dolash posted:

Taking all bets on who she wakes up with this time. My money's on the clannfear.

My bet? Nobody. She wakes up in a little cave or a ditch outside of town, all by herself, and does not appear to have otherwise disgraced herself. Forward progress!

...But just as she starts to think that, she realizes she can't find her amulet, and from a distance, Kvatch is looking a little more burned to the ground than usual...

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Were the animations for Katia's feet hitting the ground and for her epic round-the-corner swing reused from when she was escaping the roadside ruin? Or were they re-drawn?

Either way, it's a neat visual storytelling tactic - she's been in this same situation before. She tried something new, things looked up, then came barreling back down again, and those animations are callbacks to the idea. Goes well with the whole "circle-story" thing Kaz went on about earlier.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think I finally figured out what Prequel reminded me of (apologies if someone's made this comparison already) - it reads a little like an Oblivion E/N post. Katia's got an internet's worth of people screaming advice into her ear yet she only ever manages to take the bad advice and things continue to get improbably worse for her. Complete with events circling back to the original problem and a new wave of exasperated readers throwing up their hands and saying "She can't be helped, I'm off this crazy train!"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For a long time now, I've felt that despair was an under-explored emotional theme in fiction. When it is handled correctly, it makes that glimmer of hope at the end the tunnel so much more compelling. But man, this is getting pretty bleak. :smith:

I'm expecting that, once Katia finally discovers how to fight back against the cycle of self defeat, the resolution is going to be very satisfying as she punches that cycle right in its metaphorical face. But I have no idea how she's going to get there from here, which has left me hooked on reading this thing even more.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

I think I finally figured out what Prequel reminded me of (apologies if someone's made this comparison already) - it reads a little like an Oblivion E/N post. Katia's got an internet's worth of people screaming advice into her ear yet she only ever manages to take the bad advice and things continue to get improbably worse for her. Complete with events circling back to the original problem and a new wave of exasperated readers throwing up their hands and saying "She can't be helped, I'm off this crazy train!"

So at what point does Abe step in?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
MOD CHALLENGE: Katia, for creating a lovely, pointless E/N thread, you now have to escape from prison, find the emperor's heir, and defeat the demonic forces threatening to overrun the world. Either that or take a photo of yourself re-enacting the bathtub scene in The Big Lebowski in which you play the part of the ferret. You have twenty-four hours to do this. If you don't do either of those things before the deadline you'll be probated. If anyone succeeds in doing either of those things before you do, they'll get to choose your punishment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gabriel Pope posted:

So at what point does Abe step in?

Isn't it obvious? With all of the mod challenges, Abe can only be one person.

Sheogorath.

(I would have shopped something but his clothes are sufficiently generic that it wouldn't be immediately obvious who it is.)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2012

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm trying to figure out if Katia could kill herself successfully or if she would gently caress it up and become some sort of half-alive monstrosity.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Katia is going to drink that bottle up, gently caress the Mythic Dawn guy outside and help burn Kvatch to the ground.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Why is everyone thinking that she's going to burn Kvatch to the ground? Kvatch catches fire when the Oblivion Gate opens up outside and daedra pour out, and it's still in the process of burning down and being destroyed when the player character arrives. Unless I missed something. Honestly the plot of Oblivion is kind of a dull blur.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, this... this is getting hard to read. God drat.

CmdrChicken
Jun 16, 2008

SEA PATROL!
At a certain point I realized that this comic is successful because Kazerad manages to get so many people emotionally invested in a character that they know will do something depressing.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Dr Snofeld posted:

Why is everyone thinking that she's going to burn Kvatch to the ground? Kvatch catches fire when the Oblivion Gate opens up outside and daedra pour out, and it's still in the process of burning down and being destroyed when the player character arrives. Unless I missed something. Honestly the plot of Oblivion is kind of a dull blur.

I don't. I figured she would blame herself for Kvatch burning to the ground — but if the chronology of the game screws that up, then never mind.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Also I figure the odds are half-decent that Katia might drink that booze on the ground and just inexplicably wake up in prison in the Imperial City. Because she ups the odds every time she goes into a drunken haze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I noticed this little comic linked from that webcast interview with Kaz, and I felt it deserves to be linked here again:
linked for size

• Locked thread