Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Beep boop I am a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
At least the aftermarket mods are lighter and stronger, right? :buddy:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 2, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Edit: Hughmoris didn't have lupus.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 2, 2012

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Becktastic posted:

Beep boop I am a robot.

I've always wondered - do you need to carry xrays when you fly? Or doesn't it set off metal detectors

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Aargh posted:

I've always wondered - do you need to carry xrays when you fly? Or doesn't it set off metal detectors

I heard something about a card you can get? I went through a metal detector recently though and much to my surprise it didn't beep. Someone said the new metals (titanium? You think I'd know what's in my own arm, but I don't) won't set them off.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Aargh posted:

I wake up to 70 odd new posts in this thread and was worried something had happened to someone. Turns out there was a minor crash, some self diagnosed mild concussion and a bit of sperging, ah SA.

Without turning this into a social welfare discussion, as an Australian it boggles my mind that someone would suffer a mild concussion and not go to the hospital to get himself checked out, or would pass up a ride to the hospital by the EMT's just to save a few bucks.

Same, saw 92 new posts and thought someone died. Turned out, some guy just tried to "walk it off" a concussion cause he has poo poo insurance and seems more concerned about his drat Shoei than his melon.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Becktastic posted:

I heard something about a card you can get? I went through a metal detector recently though and much to my surprise it didn't beep. Someone said the new metals (titanium? You think I'd know what's in my own arm, but I don't) won't set them off.

I have a plate across my left collar bone, haven't set off a metal detector yet. However, it is detectable by them, it depends on how sensitive they have it set.

I have a Stud/AC/Metal detector and it does pick up the plate.

Edit in: Helmet discussion. In my wreck I was wearing a Scorpion brand. No concussion detected at the shock trauma center. So they have my business.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aargh posted:

Without turning this into a social welfare discussion, as an Australian it boggles my mind that someone would suffer a mild concussion and not go to the hospital to get himself checked out, or would pass up a ride to the hospital by the EMT's just to save a few bucks.

It's the last I'll say about this derail, but I assure you it's not just a "few bucks".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aargh posted:

I'll find out later this month, but I believe it is the case that if the metal is deep enough in your body, it won't set off the detector at some given sensitivity. IM rod down my tibia is probably deep enough that nothing will happen. This varies depending on how much of what kind of metal we're talking about, of course.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

VendaGoat posted:

I have a Stud/AC/Metal detector and it does pick up the plate.

I imagine you frantically rubbing a stud detector all over your naked body like a bipolar Mulder and it makes me happy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KARMA! posted:

I imagine you frantically rubbing a stud detector all over your naked body like a bipolar Mulder and it makes me happy.

I don't need no metal plates to trigger a stud detector :smug:

(preempting the "No, you just have to be really dense" response)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

All I have to say about this discussion is gently caress I'm glad I'm Australian - public healthcare is the best thing in the world by far.

I spent 4 hours getting my eye poked and prodded when I got fibreglass in it the other week and it didn't cost me a cent. I'm kind of curious how much that would have cost in America - this was in a Hospital by the way. 2 visits, 1 was 1 hour, the other was 3 hours.

I couldn't imagine not going to the doctor after an accident on my Motorcycle, that just sounds crazy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shimrod posted:

All I have to say about this discussion is gently caress I'm glad I'm Australian - public healthcare is the best thing in the world by far.

I spent 4 hours getting my eye poked and prodded when I got fibreglass in it the other week and it didn't cost me a cent. I'm kind of curious how much that would have cost in America - this was in a Hospital by the way. 2 visits, 1 was 1 hour, the other was 3 hours.

I couldn't imagine not going to the doctor after an accident on my Motorcycle, that just sounds crazy.

Here's some perspective for you:

1. Let's say it would have cost you about $10,000 after all fees, visits, medications, etc.

2. You'd have had to take out some form of lifelong loan if you could not pay for it up front

3. You'd be denied for any health care in the future due to preexisting conditions now associated with any prolonged injuries sustained from the fiberglass

4. If you're young, you likely work a minimum wage job. The money would cut severely into your cost of living, and combined with tuition increasing in, say, University of California schools by 80% over four years, would make it virtually impossible to ever go to college to better your living condition due to the impact on your overall income.

5. You'd likely never be able to have more than an associate's degree, making approximately 32k-40k a year for the rest of your life with no real future opportunities. Realistically, you'd have about $10k of real spending money per year. You are also likely to be splitting bills with roommates or a girlfriend if you are lucky enough to have found one that isn't mundane and below average intelligence since most of your social contact are from average people at lower level education facilities (such as community college) or the middle-management job that you were somehow able to score.

6. You are living the American Dream

Meanwhile, let me remind you that this woman does absolutely nothing for anyone had has millions upon millions of dollars. She doesn't care about you. She has done nothing for anything in her life and she thinks you're not of the same quality person as she is because you don't have as much money as her. You're obviously poor for a reason, and it's likely because you're lazy and stupid. Americans all grow up to believe this and one day they might be this woman if they're not lazy and not poor.

Welcome to America! Enjoy your stay.

(My cousin, 5.0 valedictorian of her class, was accepted to every school in America with at least a half-ride scholarship. Went to UCSD for poli sci and ended up becoming president of the student body in her freshman year because they recognized how brilliant she is. What happened? Oh yeah, spinal meningitis. Had to stay another year in college because she couldn't get health insurance due to it being a "preexisting condition". Naturally still keeps a solid 4.0. Can't afford hospital bills for her treatments in the US and would have likely died. Luckily she's also fluent in German and German grad schools would gladly take her. So now she has health insurance in Germany and is completing her course work abroad.)

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 2, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

:aaaaa:

What. The. gently caress.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I wonder is that 32-40k gross or take home?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Sweet LF chat guys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

I wonder is that 32-40k gross or take home?
With an AA? Gross. Unless you manage to pick up a trade like plumbing or something, then it might be net. You'd have to be really lucky to start pulling more than that. It's not impossible, but it's also not likely.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KARMA! posted:

:stare:
Should I be flattered?

:stare::fh:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Aaaaaaaand this thread just went straight into "Crash" territory. :cripes:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sweet LF chat guys

Well, to be fair, LF *was* the best satire subforum :colbert:

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Had a friend crash in front of me yesterday. I was following behind him and he took a decreasing radius turn too quickly on an unfamiliar road. Caught up just in time to see him cross into the southbound lane and wrap around a guardrail. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and jacket, ended up with a solid concussion and a few lacerations. Bike had somewhat significant damage and might be totalled, but the rider was flown out by helicopter and most certainly had his head scanned at the hospital. And he won't be recycling the helmet either, the visor separated and tore the brackets out.

Later on that day I was doing another backroad and got stung by a bee while group riding. Couldn't stop and check it out for ten minutes as there weren't any shoulders or driveways to pull into. lovely day for riding but it could be worse.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Royale with Cheese posted:

Had a friend crash in front of me yesterday. I was following behind him and he took a decreasing radius turn too quickly on an unfamiliar road. Caught up just in time to see him cross into the southbound lane and wrap around a guardrail. Luckily he was wearing a helmet and jacket, ended up with a solid concussion and a few lacerations. Bike had somewhat significant damage and might be totalled, but the rider was flown out by helicopter and most certainly had his head scanned at the hospital. And he won't be recycling the helmet either, the visor separated and tore the brackets out.

That sucks, but at least he was relatively ok. Hope he has good insurance, helicopter rides are money.

quote:

Later on that day I was doing another backroad and got stung by a bee while group riding. Couldn't stop and check it out for ten minutes as there weren't any shoulders or driveways to pull into. lovely day for riding but it could be worse.

That happened to me once, fucker hit me right in the neck then bounced off. Hurt for a week.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Sweet LF chat guys

There's nothing "LF" about a dude having to do mental gymanstics to justify not going to a hospital after a drat motorcycle crash. Despite all the poo poo said in his direction, I can actually identify since when I refused medical attention after my first crash a few years ago because I had no money and my insurance was some lovely HMO and I had no idea if it would cover an ambulance ride that may or may not have been "out of network." Fortunately in my case, my shoulder took most of the impact and my head just scraped the ground instead of slamming into it. I also didn't experience any post-concussion symptoms, otherwise I would have found my way to an ER, bills be damned. Its not a calculation that should have to be made in a developed country.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Royale with Cheese posted:

Had a friend crash in front of me yesterday.

Tell your friend not to worry about the "concussion", he can sleep it off.

Hope he turns out ok.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

redscare posted:

There's nothing "LF" about a dude having to do mental gymanstics to justify not going to a hospital after a drat motorcycle crash. Despite all the poo poo said in his direction, I can actually identify since when I refused medical attention after my first crash a few years ago because I had no money and my insurance was some lovely HMO and I had no idea if it would cover an ambulance ride that may or may not have been "out of network." Fortunately in my case, my shoulder took most of the impact and my head just scraped the ground instead of slamming into it. I also didn't experience any post-concussion symptoms, otherwise I would have found my way to an ER, bills be damned. Its not a calculation that should have to be made in a developed country.

When I had temp jobs I paid almost $200 a month for Horizon. When I crashed and went to the hospital I basically just got bandaged up (covered) and charged $600 for a 10 minute ambulance ride (not covered).

Now I have Horizon through a job and it is a lot better, but I get the feeling if I needed repeat visits and meds (not included) they'd find a way around the maximum out of pocket. Really the best plan for healthcare in the US is to be completely broke, get treatment and just never pay.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

redscare posted:

Seriously. If you aren't American, kindly piss off with the judgments about whether people here are right to make decisions between an ER visit and eating for the next few months.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Radbot posted:

Seriously. If you aren't American, kindly piss off with the judgments about whether people here are right to make decisions between an ER visit and eating for the next few months.

Just for the record, i wasn't making any kind of judgement on right or wrong. All I was saying is that with 32 years of free public healthcare i cannot associate with what you guys have to put up with.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Radbot posted:

I've had far more first-hand experience with 'free' US Federal government healthcare than I'd choose to. The only time I've ever heard of emergency care not being "in network" was when a guy who worked with me fell off his scooter while on vacation and shattered his arm. They told him he was not covered at his location, to just get his (badly broken, unset) arm in a sling, get back home (i.e. drive with one arm) and they'd fix him up in the local government hospital. The hospital took x-rays, lost them, decided he was fine and sent him back to work with his badly broken arm still in the private hospital sling. He ended up faking a suicide attempt just to get someone to look at his loving arm. I personally had two on-the-job injuries I got sent to the same government-run hospital for, got my x-rays 'lost' both times (you'll notice a trend here) and now have a permanently bent finger and a floppy knee that makes me veer right when I walk. That's just the medical fuckups that left permanent damage (that I know of.) Worth every penny!

I've also got plenty of family members with horror stories in several "free health care" Euro countries, where they got injured and got put on months-long waiting lists because there were no doctors available, followed by hosed up care that they had essentially no recourse for. The reality is that when the government decides they don't want to (or can't) pay what the market requires for goods and services, you don't get goods and services, which means all the insurance in the world doesn't mean poo poo when there's no doctors and hospitals nearby and you can't get medicine. I'd much rather have to pay out of pocket to ride an ambulance to the hospital that'll save my life than for that hospital to not be there at all. Let me make this clear - you're better off being in debt than not getting care you need.

Seriously, I could give the analogy that US private health care care is to actual real-life government care as your private insurance company is to the DMV, but not only is that continuing the incorrect equivalence of "health insurance" with "health care" but it doesn't begin to convey the disaster show of dealing with an entire medical system whose paychecks are 100% detached from actually treating you timely and properly. And if you really think you're going to be not "eating for the next few months" because you had to pay medical bills, either pinch pennies and build up more rainy-day savings, or stop doing risky poo poo like riding a loving motorcycle, and stop trying to gently caress up my private health insurance and care (that I know is way loving better than I'm going to get from Uncle Sugar) in the process.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Take this poo poo to D&D with the rest of the LF expats.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seriously, I could give the analogy that US private health care care is to actual real-life government care as your private insurance company is to the DMV, but not only is that continuing the incorrect equivalence of "health insurance" with "health care" but it doesn't begin to convey the disaster show of dealing with an entire medical system whose paychecks are 100% detached from actually treating you timely and properly. And if you really think you're going to be not "eating for the next few months" because you had to pay medical bills, either pinch pennies and build up more rainy-day savings, or stop doing risky poo poo like riding a loving motorcycle, and stop trying to gently caress up my private health insurance and care (that I know is way loving better than I'm going to get from Uncle Sugar) in the process.

Except that our coverage in the US is more expensive for worse care, doesn't allow for preventative medicine, 45,000 people a year die to preventable illnesses due to not having proper health care. The other major issue is that prices are incredibly inflated because of the back and forth between insurance and hospitals, driving up the costs for those who should otherwise be able to afford costs out of pocket. The idea is to get a certain baseline level of care because "your private health insurance and care" doesn't actually give a gently caress about keeping you healthy, instead they care about profit, and the second you start to show up on the wrong side of their risk valuations, they're gonna drop you so fast your head will spin.

Or at least they would have, if not for that meddling government ending stuff like denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, and lifetime payout limits.

I'm sorry you got stuck with bullshit health care, courtesy of our government, but realize that that health care was actually probably some cut rate company trying to eek out a profit on slim margins and loving you over because health insurance should never, ever, ever, EVER be a for profit enterprise, because you have a captive market who is basically forced to pay whatever you can get away with demanding.

And you guys didn't raise hell when they lost your x-rays?

quote:

The reality is that when the government decides they don't want to (or can't) pay what the market requires for goods and services, you don't get goods and services, which means all the insurance in the world doesn't mean poo poo when there's no doctors and hospitals nearby and you can't get medicine.

And all the doctors and hospitals in the world don't matter when they won't treat you because you can't afford it. I'm astounded you can make this post without realizing the opposite side of things...when you're loving poor, you can't afford to pay out of pocket, and any care is better than no care. Because that's what a large number of people in the US have...not lovely health care, but no health care at all until they're dying.

And that's why we have riders not going to the hospital when they should.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 3, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Actually, the only reason I'm able to ride a motorcycle is because I have complete coverage through my dad's family health insurance plan with Kaiser. If I didn't have health insurance, I would be dead or hundreds upon thousands of dollars in debt right now. (chronic kidney problems in high school, bacterial bronchitis and pneumonia once a month for three years while working at Starbucks [which I can't take to court because to do an investigation of work standards would cost thousands if not tens of thousands], tonsilitis, nickel allergy nearly taking out my ear, horrible acne...)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I like motorcycles. Sometimes people crash :-( We should have a thread about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that's such a good idead, it'll only end in a derail about health care.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

Except that our coverage in the US is more expensive for worse care, doesn't allow for preventative medicine, 45,000 people a year die to preventable illnesses due to not having proper health care. The other major issue is that prices are incredibly inflated because of the back and forth between insurance and hospitals, driving up the costs for those who should otherwise be able to afford costs out of pocket. The idea is to get a certain baseline level of care because "your private health insurance and care" doesn't actually give a gently caress about keeping you healthy, instead they care about profit, and the second you start to show up on the wrong side of their risk valuations, they're gonna drop you so fast your head will spin.

Or at least they would have, if not for that meddling government ending stuff like denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, and lifetime payout limits.

I'm sorry you got stuck with bullshit health care, courtesy of our government, but realize that that health care was actually probably some cut rate company trying to eek out a profit on slim margins and loving you over because health insurance should never, ever, ever, EVER be a for profit enterprise, because you have a captive market who is basically forced to pay whatever you can get away with demanding.

And you guys didn't raise hell when they lost your x-rays?

It was a government run hospital. A US Federal Government hospital. No private companies involved. All government up and down and no one to give a gently caress about whether it was done right or not. THAT is where all this socialized medicine poo poo is headed and it is the absolute worst case; imagining that bringing public administration into any of this is going to make it better is abject fantasy. You are far better off with a private practice because at the end of the day if you're not fixed they don't get paid and if you're really hosed you can sue. Kiss that all goodbye when you sign that off to the Feds.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Snowdens Secret posted:

You are far better off with a private practice because at the end of the day if you're not fixed they don't get paid

you can't be serious

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was a government run hospital. A US Federal Government hospital. No private companies involved. All government up and down and no one to give a gently caress about whether it was done right or not. THAT is where all this socialized medicine poo poo is headed and it is the absolute worst case; imagining that bringing public administration into any of this is going to make it better is abject fantasy. You are far better off with a private practice because at the end of the day if you're not fixed they don't get paid and if you're really hosed you can sue. Kiss that all goodbye when you sign that off to the Feds.

Today is opposite day right?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are you talking about the VA or something here?

I've been in the military all my life, medically retired. I use Tricare and a combination of VA facilities so I've basically used exclusively US federal government facilities my whole adult life and I've never had as many problems as you're describing. Of course there have been issues but they've always been resolved and I'm overall very pleased.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

front wing flexing posted:

Are you talking about the VA or something here?

I've been in the military all my life, medically retired. I use Tricare and a combination of VA facilities so I've basically used exclusively US federal government facilities my whole adult life and I've never had as many problems as you're describing. Of course there have been issues but they've always been resolved and I'm overall very pleased.

Yeah, for all the poo poo people talk about military healthcare it eventually does work. And I feel really loving thankful that I don't worry about getting hurt, because I know I can go to a doctor and be seen.

Getting out scares me for exactly that reason.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

My Dad is a vet and the VA really takes care of him, free everything. Still I'd rather not have to have been in Vietnam to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
drat people, have we derailed this thread enough? Anyway, regardless of health insurance if you do go to the hospital as a result of a motorcycle crash be ready for lectures from every single person who looks at you. The drat doctors were more interested in telling me that motorcycles are murder cycles instead of cleaning my wounds. I ended up with serious infections that left my general practioner speechless. Then again I crashed on a Friday evening which he said meant I probably got th shittiest emergency room care by the suckers who had to work the weekend shift. Based on my experience, he was right.

As far as the healthcare debate in America, you either have the best or you have lovely useless insurance. I've always had the best and I pay money for it. I also know how it works. The insurance company was always refusing payment because the doctor or hospital wasn't filling out paperwork properly. For example my weekend stay in the ER was refused because the drat hospital didn't say it was life threatening. Two phone calls later and I had it solved. Some people think health insurance is magic. You need to know EXACTLY how it works.

I know people who have chosen buying a smartphone instead of buying health insurance. Oh, and his teeth have fallen out because he won't pay $10 a month for dental insurance.

• Locked thread