Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

entris posted:

Are you going to be asked questions that assume the UPC intestate succession rules or your state's specific rules?

Texas is almost 100% UPC and I only really need close enough as its all multiple choice and I don't care if I get an A i just want to graduate next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

tau posted:

I have a Business Associations Bible I used that's pretty barebones.

EDIT: I added it in the LIIOB last year; some of it was updated to corresponding Restatement 3d sections, but not all of it.
LIIOB?

Also, thanks, Johnny.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Solid Lizzie posted:

LIIOB?

Also, thanks, Johnny.

I thought someone already gave you the hookup on that. Nevermind. :tinfoil:

These aren't as barebones as JohnnyTreachery's:
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3405042/BA_I_Bible.pdf
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3405042/BA_II_Bible-Old_Testament.pdf
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3405042/BA_II_Bible-New_Testament.pdf

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Oh, awesome. Thanks!

In other news:

quote:

Above the Law reports on a Duke 1L who posted a question from his or her Constitutional Law take-home exam, during the exam period, on the Top Law School discussion board seeking "help" in answering this question:

If the government tries to bar a woman from becoming president on textual grounds, what governmental purpose is being served?
SLICK.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/

This should be in the OP.

It's basically a database of employment data of every law school. It gives each school a rating based on how many students from each school have jobs, right next to the estimated debt students will have on graduation. Digging deeper lets you see how much students are paid on graduation from each school.

For example, students at Harvard are 91% likely to have a job (full time, requiring a bar degree, not solo) on graduation, and will accrue ~260k in debt if they enter within the next two terms. However, most of those students who end up in private sector jobs will make $160k

Meanwhile, students at Thomas Cooley are 21% likely to have a job on graduation, will accrue ~$160k debt there, and if they do happen to get one of those jobs, the mean salary is a mere $50k a year.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
One of the other first years quit today. Not particularly shocking, because her partner is really abusive, but I'm impressed at how quickly she found a comparable job.

It's a shame, we were so close to making it an entire year without anyone from the first year class quitting. The staff apparently had a pool going regarding when one of us would quit, and they all expected at least one of us to be gone within 6 months.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I have a labor law final on Friday. I did not read. I did not attend class more than 30% of the time. It is an 8 hour takehome. I have read one supplement and I have three outlines. Due to other school commitments, I cannot study today, tomorrow or until 5 pm on Thursday.

It is my last final.

I BECOME LEGEND

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Feces Starship posted:

I have a labor law final on Friday. I did not read. I did not attend class more than 30% of the time. It is an 8 hour takehome. I have read one supplement and I have three outlines. Due to other school commitments, I cannot study today, tomorrow or until 5 pm on Thursday.

Congratulations! You did more work for that one class than Prussian did his entire 3L year.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

happy law day everyone!!!! :3: :3: :3:

quote:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, in accordance with Public Law 87-20, as amended, do hereby proclaim May 1, 2012, as Law Day, U.S.A. I call upon all Americans to acknowledge the importance of our Nation’s legal and judicial systems with appropriate ceremonies and activities, and to display the flag of the United States in support of this national observance.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

I BECOME LEGEND 3L

Enjoy your B+!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Linguica posted:

happy law day everyone!!!! :3: :3: :3:

hahahaahahahah you have got to be making GBS threads me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sigmachiev posted:

hahahaahahahah you have got to be making GBS threads me
What are you, a commie who does May Day?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This should go in the OP, maybe.

Ehhh, not that good yet but it might be in the future.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

This is pretty old now, but a friend linked it on Facebook and I thought it was a fun read.

anonymous no. 3, class of 1990, partner at a large east coast law firm posted:

My dream is to become a clerk at Barnes & Noble. Not the manager or the guy who orders the books, but the lowliest clerk they've got. I've got the store picked out. I literally fantasize about this. I'm disappointed in myself. I'm not who I thought I would be. I thought I'd be doing something meaningful. Beyond that, I can't talk to you."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

It is my last final.

I BECOME LEGEND

The question is: do you actually wake up on time to go get it?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

That's a very bittersweet article and I hope Barnes and Noble guy finally did it!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I swear to god I have hosed up every project I have touched today

I can only assume that Law Day is somehow interfering with my usual ability to be slightly sub-competent

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Feces Starship posted:

Welcome to the Barenburger home of the Barenburger can I take your order?

It sounds like everybody else in that class is putting in a similar amount of effort.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Yeah, I think someone linked it earlier in the thread. Still great. This is probably my favorite part: ABOUT 80 PERCENT of incoming Harvard Law School students express a desire to practice public-interest law.

Also did a triple take when he cited tuition (25k in 2000). loving gently caress man.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
NY just added a 50 hours of pro bono service requirement for admission to the bar, effective next year. I'm not immune to the problems with access to the justice system, but, reeeeaaalllyyyy?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Do they allow charitable donation in lieu of hours? 50 hours is worth at least $22,500 to a major firm and the really lol part is when some big firm attnys do their mandatory pro bono work, they are half assing it in a field where they have no experience.

I actually think all bars should require a week of pro bono for all attorneys not working at non-profits OR let you donate like $7k to your state's direct services fund (in Texas we mostly use IOLTA for funding grants to public interest stuff).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Solid Lizzie posted:

NY just added a 50 hours of pro bono service requirement for admission to the bar, effective next year. I'm not immune to the problems with access to the justice system, but, reeeeaaalllyyyy?

My school had a pro bono service requirement for graduation. Will the NY bar let you double dip? I spent 40 hours in a conference room in a DA's office and surfed the web.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

Can it be doing anything, such as volunteer tax preparation/representation before the IRS?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
The pro bono requirement for admittance is nothing but yet another shameless ploy to reduce the number of practicing lawyers.*

Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman posted:

The requirement for mandatory pro bono will not extend to the approximately 160,000 lawyers the American Bar Association estimates are already admitted to the state bar and living in New York.

"My belief is that mandatory pro bono for the entire bar is not workable because there are so many different categories of lawyers, so much different geography, lawyers who can't make a living on what they are doing now," he said.

http://tinyurl.com/cgc549c

Unbarred law school grads fresh out of school? Perfectly competent to handle anyone's legal problems. Actual practicing attorneys? Whoa hold on there buddy, these people don't have the time or expertise to handle poor people's legal problems. They are trying to earn a living here.

*Although as a licensed attorney I fully support any attempts to reduce the number of practicing lawyers, it seems a bit unfair to sucker punch a bunch of law grads who are trying to service student loans with another roadblock to employment.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

ThirdPartyView posted:

Can it be doing anything, such as volunteer tax preparation/representation before the IRS?
Judge-man didn't really go into much detail. I'm doing a low income tax clinic this upcoming semester, but it's for credit. If that's kosher, then I should have my requirement in. If not, hopefully some clinics I'm doing over the summer will have over 50 hours. I realize fifty hours isn't overly burdensome in a lot of ways, but a little more notice would have been appreciated. I also think GamingHyena sufficiently outlined at least one reason why this requirement smacks of bad-faith.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 2, 2012

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
What's up everybody!

My wife secured a family medicine residency, we became parents, I'm going to be a stay-at-home dad, at least for the foreseeable future.

Law-School Feedback: A++, would do again.

On a more serious note:

Currently self-studying for the Virginia Bar. Just started Sunday night, averaging 55-60% correct on aftermarket questions, 70% on pre-1992 actual MBE questions on Property, Evidence, and Contracts. Anyone here take the Virgina Bar recently? How hard are the state essay's really, and by how hard I mean how hard to earn 60-70% of the possible points on each one?

I'm cheap (and apparently not seen by the fine folks at Citi who were willing to gamble billions on lovely RMBSs as a good risk for a bar loan) so I'm skipping on the 4-figure bar prep programs, and instead spent $50 on a cheap web-site that provided MBE and VA specific subject outlines and an online bank of really difficult practice MBE questions. That and the free pre-1992 questions from the MBE site are all I've used so far, waiting on 2 PMBR and 2 BarBri books with questions from ebay, and a 2010 BarBri MBE outline book. Also downloaded the past Virginia essays with model answers from the William & Mary Website.

Should I be OK with May 1 through test day, minus 3 weeks for vacation and moving to a new town, for study time and these materials only?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

entris posted:

This should go in the OP, maybe.

Ehhh, not that good yet but it might be in the future.

Yeah I can't even imagine this is accurate. The low end for people out of UNC is $55,000 with only like 9 people out of the class reported as unemployed and looking, whereas I would kill a man for a salary of like $35,000 a year. I'm incredibly frustrated with being rejected as overqualified for poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about being a lawyer arhghghhhhhhhh

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah I can't even imagine this is accurate. The low end for people out of UNC is $55,000 with only like 9 people out of the class reported as unemployed and looking, whereas I would kill a man for a salary of like $35,000 a year. I'm incredibly frustrated with being rejected as overqualified for poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about being a lawyer arhghghhhhhhhh

Simple solution - on your resume, make this tiny edit:

2008-2011 - University of California-Berkeley Law School, J.D., Magna Cum Laude Incarcerated for 3 counts of misdemeanor Assault

Job in no time, people love a fighter.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I have a poster I want to put up in my office. It's a poster of an organization I ran as a 3L. Cool imagery, instant conversation starter, very humanizing. The area of law that the organization handled caused a potential conflict with a small department in the firm that I doubt I'll ever deal with. However, the partner in charge of that department (that I otherwise have no dealings with) has explicitly said that the firm is conflicted out from doing pro bono work on the type of work this organization did.

Would there be a problem with hanging this poster in my office?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

New York emailed out results of the Feb bar tonight. I passed. 6 months late because I'm stupid but better late than never. What a relief.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Solid Lizzie posted:

Don't most schools have a pro bono requirement anyway? Even if not, basically any clinical would get you there, I think.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

messagemode1 posted:

New York emailed out results of the Feb bar tonight. I passed. 6 months late because I'm stupid but better late than never. What a relief.

Congrats

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Boosted_C5 posted:

What's up everybody!

My wife secured a family medicine residency, we became parents, I'm going to be a stay-at-home dad, at least for the foreseeable future.

On a more serious note:

Currently self-studying for the Virginia Bar. Just started Sunday night, averaging 55-60% correct on aftermarket questions, 70% on pre-1992 actual MBE questions on Property, Evidence, and Contracts. Anyone here take the Virgina Bar recently? How hard are the state essay's really, and by how hard I mean how hard to earn 60-70% of the possible points on each one?

I'm cheap (and apparently not seen by the fine folks at Citi who were willing to gamble billions on lovely RMBSs as a good risk for a bar loan) so I'm skipping on the 4-figure bar prep programs, and instead spent $50 on a cheap web-site that provided MBE and VA specific subject outlines and an online bank of really difficult practice MBE questions. That and the free pre-1992 questions from the MBE site are all I've used so far, waiting on 2 PMBR and 2 BarBri books with questions from ebay, and a 2010 BarBri MBE outline book. Also downloaded the past Virginia essays with model answers from the William & Mary Website.

Should I be OK with May 1 through test day, minus 3 weeks for vacation and moving to a new town, for study time and these materials only?

fwiw I self-studied for the Michigan bar and didn't start till the end of May and passed. I used basically those materials plus PMBR/Kaplan audio lectures on major topics that I got from the law library. I also spent the 150 on the three-pack of 100-question practice exams from the ncbex website which I think was totally worth doing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Boosted_C5 posted:

What's up everybody!

Your alimony checks from her are going to be huge. Way to live the dream. :)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Boosted_C5 posted:

What's up everybody!

On a more serious note:

Welcome back Boosted! You should visit our IRC channel.

Congratulations to you and your wife.

That study plan sounds pretty legit. I would also add in downloading anki and using the lawgoon MBE flaschards.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

qwertyman posted:

I have a poster I want to put up in my office. It's a poster of an organization I ran as a 3L. Cool imagery, instant conversation starter, very humanizing. The area of law that the organization handled caused a potential conflict with a small department in the firm that I doubt I'll ever deal with. However, the partner in charge of that department (that I otherwise have no dealings with) has explicitly said that the firm is conflicted out from doing pro bono work on the type of work this organization did.

Why don't you ask the partner?

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

qwertyman posted:

would anyone actually give a poo poo at your firm?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Put it up and see what happens.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

qwertyman posted:

First, no.
Second, I seriously doubt any partner (much less a partner from a completely different group) is ever going to spend more than 4 seconds in your office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would a partner go to an associate's office when they could just hit the intercom to the whole office and say "Hey, associate, come here."