Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

Mega Shark posted:

Also, where is everyone? Crunch time talking about taint?

Just workin' away, y'know? Managing project, raising financing and infrastructure for new projects, keepin' the lights on, that sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Akuma posted:

I totally found this in a closet full of junk while yoinking old hard drives. I don't even know why we had that thing, we didn't even have any artists before you. It must be like 3 company restructures old.
It looks like al alright little tablet, smoother surface than my bamboo and pretty much all one needs.

For the record though I would REALLY love something fancier like an mid-size Intuos but it can seriously wait.

I've been promised a cintiq on Warheads' millionth download, so if you excuse me I think I'm going to run naked through leamington with the name of our game tattood on my back.

Frown Town posted:

This is not going to make me a better artist though.
But it may motivate me to do more personal art at home.
motherfuckerrrrrr :argh:

If you don't get motivated to do more work at home I'm going to come and find you.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Aliginge posted:

motherfuckerrrrrr :argh:

If you don't get motivated to do more work at home I'm going to come and find you.

What kind of Cintiq do you get? :D
Only two hours until I get to lug 83 lbs to my car and then up some stairs (I also need to figure out where I'm going to put it- my work set up at home is pretty sub optimal).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Anyone hiring a mobile producer?!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

wodin posted:

Staggering around under crunch time. No talking about taint, but I did spend 20 minutes talking with the artists about ribs the other day.

Ribs are pretty tasty. I'd say food talk as a category takes a notable chunk of discretionary time at my studio as well (especially around lunchtime).

rope kid posted:

They've been able to snap up talent from "the hardcore space" because that's where capital is going.

Seriously, and where are they going to go when social/mobile doesn't meet their insane growth projections? I just hope they don't throw their hands up in the air and declare gaming dead. Maybe Google glasses can save us.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Who are the Turbine people in this thread again? I know I've seen at least two... I'm heading out there on Monday to spend a week working on some stuff from Seattle...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Who are the Turbine people in this thread again? I know I've seen at least two... I'm heading out there on Monday to spend a week working on some stuff from Seattle...

Oh that project, eh? (I do not work at Turbine).

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's an environment I want to work in if I could just get paid properly and some job security.

I completely forgot that the games industry is well known for it's high pay and job security.

Cintiq chat - I bought a new (albeit cheap) desk for mine, realized after I set it up that I didn't measure my desk correctly as I had accounted for the Cintiq's screen space but not the full width (I think - still not sure how I hosed it up) so my secondary monitor would hang halfway off the desk, and now it's a moot point because the movers banged up the desk to the point where I don't trust it to support anything more than this freebie 16" LCD I'm using at the moment while putting off trying to fix the desk.

Good luck with hauling that thing up the stairs, I could barely lift the sucker out of the box.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

It barely fits, but I think it'll work out. Thank you, deadlifts. (And my roommate for being home to help me get it up the stairs unmolested, yes!)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Want to hire artist, will pay with Wacom 12WX.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Want to hire artist, will pay with Wacom 12WX.

You paying with a toaster? :v: No but seriously. Ah would be nice to have a Wacom 12WX.I'm jealous seeing all those sexy Cintiqs. God I wish they weren't so expensive.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 2, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shindragon posted:

You paying with a toaster? :v: No but seriously. Ah would be nice to have a Wacom 12WX.I'm jealous seeing all those sexy Cintiqs. God I wish they weren't so expensive.

The 24HD is $2,600! That's not artist money!

That's person money.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wait. I thought they were like 1,000 or more.

2,4600?! loving hell..

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Jesus that thing is sexy.

Also, britgoons, explain something to me. Why is it called Leamington Spa? Does Spa have some historical meaning in England?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Wait. I thought they were like 1,000 or more.

2,4600?! loving hell..

That's the 21UX, which is sadly discontinued and getting more and more difficult to track down, even used.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My dreams of buying a Cintiq. Shattered. :(

gently caress.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

NINbuntu 64 posted:

The 24HD is $2,600! That's not artist money!

That's person money.

I've historically just spent all my money on art/tech toys, even before I became a person.

In general, Wacom's pricing sort of blows my mind, because a Cintiq 12 - $1k is a really steep barrier to entry for such a tiny screen. And the larger models (21 @ $2k and 24 @ $2.6k) are just exponentially more useful (I get way more utility out of the big screen because I typically work with laptops that can only support one extra display - being restricted to the Cintiq 12wx's screen was a nightmare). This is going to make someone sad, but at some point, I was turning off the Cintiq 12WX's screen and just using it as a traditional tablet, while my laptop was hooked up to a bigger secondary monitor because I couldn't handle how little the screen was.

Poor thing is going to collect dust in a corner until I can figure out how I want to sell it .
I feel a little bad saying this, but I kind of preferred the intuos4 over the cintiq 12wx. And I kind of preferred the intuos 3 over the intuos 4 (except my intuos 3 is literally falling apart and works sporadically). E: But this 24" Cintiq is loving bad rear end and buying it was probably one of my best decisions this year. Also, a good business expense for tax time. :)

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 2, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Frown Town posted:

I've historically just spent all my money on art/tech toys, even before I became a person.

In general, Wacom's pricing sort of blows my mind, because a Cintiq 12 - $1k is a really steep barrier to entry for such a tiny screen. And the larger models (21 @ $2k and 24 @ $2.6k) are just exponentially more useful. This is going to make someone sad, but at some point, I was turning off the Cintiq 12WX's screen and just using it as a traditional tablet, while my laptop was hooked up to a bigger secondary monitor because I couldn't handle how little the screen was.

Poor thing is going to collect dust in a corner until I can figure out how I want to sell it .
I feel a little bad saying this, but I kind of preferred the intuos4 over the cintiq 12wx. And I kind of preferred the intuos 3 over the intuos 4 (except my intuos 3 is literally falling apart and works sporadically).

You should sell it to me for $50 so I can pass it off as "new" to a more struggling artist because I'm too poor to pay in real money.

I know what you mean though. For a while, my only computer was a 13 inch Macbook Pro so I got far, far too used to tiny screen sizes, so the 12WX is honestly huge to me. I had a chance to use one and fullscreening photoshop on it was just glorious. Unfortunately, my art skills aren't near what they should be to justify such a purchase for myself.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Frown Town posted:

In general, Wacom's pricing sort of blows my mind, because a Cintiq 12 - $1k is a really steep barrier to entry for such a tiny screen. And the larger models (21 @ $2k and 24 @ $2.6k) are just exponentially more useful (I get way more utility out of the big screen because I typically work with laptops that can only support one extra display - being restricted to the Cintiq 12wx's screen was a nightmare). This is going to make someone sad, but at some point, I was turning off the Cintiq 12WX's screen and just using it as a traditional tablet, while my laptop was hooked up to a bigger secondary monitor because I couldn't handle how little the screen was.

I feel a little bad saying this, but I kind of preferred the intuos4 over the cintiq 12wx. And I kind of preferred the intuos 3 over the intuos 4 (except my intuos 3 is literally falling apart and works sporadically).

I sold my buddy my 12" for $600 (spent $800 on it, I think) and I didn't get enough use out of it to really give a gently caress, felt like I dodged a bullet. The 24HD is so much more useful - the 12" basically gets completely covered by UI because it runs at 1280x960, and you have like 350-400 pixels of UI encroaching on either side in photoshop.

You can find a willing buyer for them at $500-$600, even with the caveat of "I thought the screen was too small to use."

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Sigma-X posted:

I sold my buddy my 12" for $600 (spent $800 on it, I think) and I didn't get enough use out of it to really give a gently caress, felt like I dodged a bullet. The 24HD is so much more useful - the 12" basically gets completely covered by UI because it runs at 1280x960, and you have like 350-400 pixels of UI encroaching on either side in photoshop.

You can find a willing buyer for them at $500-$600, even with the caveat of "I thought the screen was too small to use."

That's actually a really good point, and why I bought the 24" over the 21" - because it accounts for Photoshop's UI stuff. Totally worth the extra $600 I threw at it just to not have all my layers info bumping into my paintings. :D

And I definitely think I could sell at $600 no problem (that'd probably be my 'you're my friend' price)- probably looking closer to 800, which I know will be a harder sell, but I'm in no hurry.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

Anyone hiring a mobile producer?!

Nope, but I've got a contract position available for a mobile programmer with Cocos2D chops.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Also, britgoons, explain something to me. Why is it called Leamington Spa? Does Spa have some historical meaning in England?
Because it's a spa town http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spa_town

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I bought a 12 inch Cintiq off a uni buddy with my first bonus cheque, barely used it for like 2 years because the screen was just too small(also his reason for selling), then sold it on to another uni buddy. They don't really depreciate much, but the 12 inch screen is just way too small for most artists I've talked to.

Shame the big ones are so fuckin expensive...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Diplomaticus posted:

Jesus that thing is sexy.

Ahem.

ROYAL Leamington Spa. :colbert:

It's a place with a lot of history, Georgian architecture, tall buildings with servant quarters in the basements and it's central bath house and spring waters were somewhat famed for their medicinal qualities, experienced a stupidly fast rate of expansion in the 19th century.

Of course this also means my flat is based in an ancient building with STORAGE heaters...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hey man our office is a non-ancient building but it still has storage heaters. Can't escape that menace.

We totally need a new office.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

So...

This probably won't end up being A Thing, but does anyone have contacts with EA/Maxis? If so, PM me or email Trickyed at hotmail.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
I used my 12" cintiq as a dedicated hulu screen and just used a mouse to make textures for four months when my 21" cintiq was broken and in the shop. That's how useless the 12" felt for painting in photoshop. On the flip side, I have a 12x18 intuos2 that's been sitting in my closet for years because it's just way too big to comfortably work with, instead I use my 4x5 and love the crap out of it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Jeez, you artists, so picky.

...Would this offer actually work if I offered the 24HD? :v:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Why not pay with money?

Unless you've got a line on stolen wacoms, in which case the real money is in just selling those and buying hookers and blow.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Why not pay with money?

Unless you've got a line on stolen wacoms, in which case the real money is in just selling those and buying hookers and blow.

I am about to admit something terrible.

I had not considered paying with money.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sigma-X posted:

I completely forgot that the games industry is well known for it's high pay and job security.

There was no reason Frontier couldn't offer me both if David Braben was even moderately competent. I'm not after high pay, only fair pay.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

OK dude. Gonna be honest with you.

You're not helping your case here. It's unfortunate that you lost your job and I do feel bad for you. But this road you're starting down, complaining about XYZ named person at your last job, that reflects badly on you, not him/her.

now err :backtowork:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 2, 2012

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

BizarroAzrael posted:

There was no reason Frontier couldn't offer me both if David Braben was even moderately competent. I'm not after high pay, only fair pay.

You realize talking what I will colloquially refer to as 'junk' after being fired, regardless of the truth of your statements, reflects poorly on your professional judgment? The games industry is very small and no matter how badly treated you were it isn't ever going to be the right call to post this kind of stuff in a semi-public forum. The first screen on a veteran resume that comes through the door at a company is people reaching out to their network of friends and acquaintances to get a candid evaluation of what the strengths and weaknesses of a candidate really are. Having dirty laundry and bitterness out there wit you as the source is a recipe for frustration and sadness - you're closing doors on yourself.

This suggestion may seem more than a little bizarre, but I would recommend some sort of technology-free sabbatical to clear your head and frame where you're going appropriately. It's amazing how handy a few days of reflection can be at sorting stuff out.

Edit: I see Aliginge beat me to it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 16, 2017

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
BA, I like you and it's been a while since we've last met (several years back at PAX or GDC or something)*, but I have to agree. You got a bad turn, but you're coming off as bitter and entitled, and I have to wonder if that is being sensed in your interviews (from before) and job performance (from recent).

*Apparently we didn't actually meet but somehow I had a number and "BizarroAzrael" attached to it in my old phone.

I hate to draw up history, but let me give you some examples.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't know, I've not finished any Flash game projects for some time, mostly prototypes since uni. Probably not for me if there's no time to come back up to speed. :(

Got a rejection from my interview with Blitz, and things are getting really dispiriting, unable to move upwards and forever marked "overqualified" for QA, and it's hard not to feel bitterness towards people who used to be my peers, no better than I, doing so much better, afforded opportunities I never had. When I took the last job I thought I was getting out of QA, but I was put on QA money whilst people in QA got made associate producers, instead of redundant for the sake of inept management keeping their BMWs.

Honestly this industry has treated me appallingly and I'd give up on it if I thought I could go anywhere else. As it is other employers only see six months not working after only working in games, and think (correctly) that I don't want to be elsewhere.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been firing applications, with non-games focused CVs for months, no interviews, barely any replies. Think I had a couple of phone calls where I get to say I want to be paid something like a living wage, but that in my last job I was paid practically gently caress all.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, poor you, not being in the verdant, rich pastures of the UK games industry. The best thing going for me on the horizon is a QA job I will probably be deemed "overqualified" for again.

BizarroAzrael posted:

You also have to remember that many of these places are run by people without the first clue about project or time management.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I took an evaluation with a QA outsourcing outfit yesterday, and heard today that I got accepted, which isn't too surprising since I did it for so (too) long and didn't spend half the time telling one of the other candidates how they should get on the Train 2 Game course I'm on. Depressingly it seems to pay slightly more than my last job, though I'd be a contractor so probably unpaid holidays and such. I'll be called up when they have a project to put me on. They've worked with good studios on good projects in the past but I don't know how I feel, QA's a step back I don't really want to have to take, shouldn't have to, and I don't know if it's going to offer much in the way of opportunities. Might be embedded with a studio I want to work at but it's pot luck.

Took another non-game interview today and if that comes good it's a non-issue, pays double what I was before (if still not what I should be on) and I might come home not burned out on games and able to work on projects of my own.

BizarroAzrael posted:

They know I've been out of work for a long time, and that I've not signed a contract with them or anything, but will they be put off by the fact that I'm trying to work places that won't be paying next to gently caress all to work in an arsehole of a town?

The non-game job didn't come good either. I'm trying to do mod stuff in my own time but being so miserable makes it pretty hard to do anything at all.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know, but it's pretty hard when every application seems to come back saying "that thing you thought you could do? You can't do that."

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'd like to understand what makes me different from other people who have started in QA and been much more successful than me. I started out doing a few months at a publisher QA farm where I was picked out for whatever reason to do Sony TRC testing, where there was one other "tester" level guy already. There was less work than expected so after a month or so I went to functionality until the project ended and I got culled. I temped in data entry for a bit and then went to another publisher farm where this guy was again in compliance, whilst I was in func. For over a year I was constantly told I did good work but there seemed no interest in making me a senior tester, nor any spaces for assistant team leads or higher. Eventually I go to compliance on a probationary period before being put on the new contract and higher pay scale. This period should have been 3 months but my assesment kept getting put off, and when it eventually happened I was told there were problems with my work and "attitude" which a) I would dispute and b) I had not been told about at any prior point when it would have been useful. I returned to what I was contracted to do for the remainder of my time there, and the guy I met at EA was an associate producer at this point, and went quickly on to full producer.

I do a short contract with a developer, then go on to my last full-time job were my QA application was passed on to a producer who wanted a technician to automate the build update process, which I was deemed qualified for based on my degree and placement year experience. So great, I get to do some technical work and contribute to the actual making of a game. Only the the role came into being when I took it and I guess since I applied for QA they paid me QA money, only now I wasn't able to supplement my income with overtime and free pizza. Figured that things would improve dramatically with the next pay review, though I don't qualify for the next round since I hadn't been there long enough. Then the next one gets put back until "we have a new deal with the publisher". From August it's now going to be October. Then January. And in January I get made redundant because they didn't get a publisher. Meantime there's a guy who joined QA when I joined the company, the role I actually applied for remember, who is now an associate producer, and his job is safe.

Both these guys I mention are younger than me, which really makes it sting, but I want to understand what could be the difference that leads to these guys getting opportunities that I don't? I get given responsibility and prove that I can lead, coordinate, communicate, adapt and learn, and more besides, but never actually get elevated for it.

BizarroAzrael posted:

New QA jobs looks to be a complete false economy. £20 to travel 1.5-2 hours each way, and I get in to be told that when I was told on Tuesday that there would be work in on Thursday and Friday, they actually meant I should expect a call about it. And apparently I was supposed to assume from not getting a call there wouldn't be work. So I've come off of Jobseekers Allowance to work a 1-2 day week with almost half my wages going on transport. It's a loving joke that this kind of idiot gets promoted to lead a project and I am STILL held down at the very bottom.

BizarroAzrael posted:

What the gently caress, I can't even get one job.

I really can't bear the thought of having to see people's status updates for Christmas parties and holidays and massive shopping orders. To be honest I can't bear the thought of getting through a weekend with no sign of improvement.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Spent a small fortune going on an assessment day yesterday, got a rejection at 10am this morning. I have been unemployed 10 months now and things only seem to get worse. Nothing I do or have ever done seems to make the slightest difference, whilst idiots come straight off bullshit degrees into design, and from QA to Production in months.

This is bullshit, and I don't want to play any more. I may as well be dead, the life I lead.

BizarroAzrael posted:

You seem to have made a lot of assumptions here, I've not been trying "the same thing", I've done all I can to develop and have cast the net wide in the hopes of just getting something to get moving again.

The fact is I'm badly depressed, two prozac a day, though I'm not convinced it helps. That coupled with experience that prevents me equating hard work and reward makes it very difficult to build momentum on my own projects. I interviewed for a role with a games startup working in HTML5 and Javascript, which I had not doing seriously before. The interview and job were interesting, so on my own initiative I spent the next day putting together Asteroids clone in HTML5 and sent it to him, hoping that would show how fast I could pick stuff up and to just try and go that extra mile. It was great having goals and purpose again. But he still didn't think I could learn the skills fast enough. Given he invited me to interview knowing my prior experience, he must have thought it could be possible for me to be the candidate he picked, so what more could I have done to my ability to pick up the skills?

I don't think it's out of line to say I deserve better, than I shouldn't have been made redundant with so little to my name, that my career shouldn't have been damaged the way it was by my last job. I worked long and hard in QA and was repeatedly and constantly overlooked for promotion, even to the compliance role I was already doing. A QA application turns into a job offer of Build Engineer, something dressed as an opportunity, but which in the end results in all routes to other parts of the organisation being barred, and being repeatedly denied promised wage reviews and kept at a low QA wage. Meanwhile a guy does a few months of QA and becomes an associate producer, to be paid much more than me to do much less. I saved the company hundreds of man hours, and I get canned and find myself where I am today.

Please, if nothing else, understand why I am as I am.

That's a LOT of negative energy, way more than I've seen from other people in this thread. Now, I'm not saying you didn't get screwed over somewhere, but if I were reading this thread from the industry I'd be reluctant to hire someone who I think would be arguing with me over pay, what they're entitled to, and what they deserve, and who is giving out bad vibes despite being a hard worker; when instead I could hire someone who fits in well with the team and gives off positive energy, and does the same quality work with less fuss. In law, we have a thing called boardroom reputation (or in diplomacy, it's corridor reputation). When you're in a relatively small community, people care greatly about how you are to work with, especially when there is a glut of capable hires available in a down market. It may even be disproportionately important how well you fit into a team vice your quality of work. But that's how it is.

Sorry if this post comes off dickish, because that's not the intent. I just wanted you to see that there is a pattern here that may be coming into play. Again, I'm not saying that it's the case here because I'm not you/there and I don't know. I'm just suggesting how it might look from the outside.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It's fine, but I stand by every word I said.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Maybe for a freelance gig if the artist got to keep the tablet. But money will probably be more attractive to most people.
(except for me, I try to get paid in objects because I'm not particularly motivated by money until it turns into something cool)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Okay, this is going to seem like a weird leap in the conversation but I'm going back home and will have limited access to the forum/not going to feel like writing on my phone.

I'm still angry and depressed, I may get pills for that again. If I work in the industry again I think I want it to be as a technical artist or some kind of designer, which probably means I'll be doing something else in the meantime. I see ways to do stuff in UDK that might make a case for either career path, and I might do more Portal 2 maps. Quality is subjective but is there a minimum amount in terms of volume I should have before making applications?

Might also start my own company if I can figure some things out but I've not got as clear a plan for that yet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I think what would work is pitching the job up front and not upping your reward until someone accepts like a Mafia boss in the backroom of a downtown pizza dive. ;)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I don't like posting in here about this because I feel like the best course is usually to wait and see, but on Friday I had an interview and I think I sort of bombed it just from a combination of not being fully ready and being in a different mindset towards how the interview was going to play out as opposed to how it did.

I've never been in this situation before as I usually do pretty well in interviews and this job sounded amazingly awesome, so it kind of bums me out.

How horrible would it be, if I haven't heard anything back by next Monday, to email the recruiter that set up my interview, since she was the one who got me excited in the first place and made the job sound like a perfect fit for me (and said that I seemed like a perfect fit for them, but that just might be her job talking) and sort of candidly admit I don't think I did as well as I would have normally?

I know the reasons I messed up the interview were my fault in the first place, but I also feel like it wasn't a 100 percent representation of who I am or who I would be if I was working for them, and instead was sort of a more pressured, less solid-answers version of myself.

I guess I made this post both to rant at myself and sort of see if there was any precedent for saying "I think we got off on the wrong foot, can we try again" in the interview process.

There is also the chance that I am being overly critical on myself due to having my hopes up pretty high when hearing about the position, which is why no matter what I am going to do, I am going to wait to hear back about the job first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, this is going to seem like a weird leap in the conversation but I'm going back home and will have limited access to the forum/not going to feel like writing on my phone.

I'm still angry and depressed, I may get pills for that again. If I work in the industry again I think I want it to be as a technical artist or some kind of designer, which probably means I'll be doing something else in the meantime. I see ways to do stuff in UDK that might make a case for either career path, and I might do more Portal 2 maps. Quality is subjective but is there a minimum amount in terms of volume I should have before making applications?

Might also start my own company if I can figure some things out but I've not got as clear a plan for that yet.

Stop right there. Just stop. You're blaming your issues on everyone else when you don't even know if you want to be a technical artist, some kind of designer or QA? You want to start a company? Have you ever stopped to consider that the common denominator in all of this is you?

I've tried to be supportive, as have many people here, but you really need a new line of work. You think that those other people in your companies magically got promoted but you didn't because of incompetence on the part of managers and their "BMW"s? Think that over for a second. Maybe you're just not fun to work with? Maybe you look like you're meddling in other departments when you shouldn't?

Grow up, stop calling people out and instead start calling yourself out. When you finally call yourself out you can either quit or make yourself better. Before that, just shut up and stop complaining about other people and start asking smart questions about improving yourself.