Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

On a somewhat related note I really hate those colored contacts some girls love to wear. They kinda creep me out.

When those first came out, the most common ones were super fake, super blue, and had streaks of other irregular colors blended in (like purple).

More recently, though, I've started to seeing colors that are a lot duller. They're still obviously fake, but they're fake in a "natural" sort of way.

I guess I can't really blame them for wearing colored contacts and dying their hair. Everyone is dark haired, dark eyed, so you have to find ways to give yourself a bit of flair. I just prefer streaks and highlights and lighter eyes to super obviously fake blonde hair and eyes that are brighter and bluer than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really hate it when the girls wear the jet black ones and the fake glasses. For some reason that bothers me more than blue "anime" eyes. It really threw me off when I was first confronted with it. It's more off putting in China because the fashion sense and clothing is worse, much worse. Be lucky you don't have to see girls with literal stuffed animals on their hands in the winter.

Simplified wins in my book because you write 个 instead of 個 and 什么 instead of 什麼. Most kids will be incapable of writing any characters in a few generations thanks to cellphones and apathy according to most alarmist hardliners in China, Taiwan, and Japan so enjoy it all while it lasts.

Taiwan should adopt pinyin on the principle that the guy who made it, Zhou Youguang, is a huge critic of China and an 106 year old badass.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I really hate it when the girls wear the jet black ones and the fake glasses. For some reason that bothers me more than blue "anime" eyes. It really threw me off when I was first confronted with it. It's more off putting in China because the fashion sense and clothing is worse, much worse. Be lucky you don't have to see girls with literal stuffed animals on their hands in the winter.

Simplified wins in my book because you write 个 instead of 個 and 什么 instead of 什麼. Most kids will be incapable of writing any characters in a few generations thanks to cellphones and apathy according to most alarmist hardliners in China, Taiwan, and Japan so enjoy it all while it lasts.

Taiwan should adopt pinyin on the principle that the guy who made it, Zhou Youguang, is a huge critic of China and an 106 year old badass.

Taiwan already has adopted Pinyin. It's not used in instruction since it doesn't really matter what the local 6-year-olds use, but signage and post office stuff etc... are in Pinyin. Admittedly the exceptions are numerous, but at least they're pretty established and famous places.

Also those alarmists really are just alarmists. Sure average character retention may go down by a hundred or so for a few generations, but people are never going to be unable to write 你好. If that day were ever to come, life would be so digital that what would it matter?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

USDA Choice posted:

Taiwan already has adopted Pinyin. It's not used in instruction since it doesn't really matter what the local 6-year-olds use, but signage and post office stuff etc... are in Pinyin. Admittedly the exceptions are numerous, but at least they're pretty established and famous places.

Also those alarmists really are just alarmists. Sure average character retention may go down by a hundred or so for a few generations, but people are never going to be unable to write 你好. If that day were ever to come, life would be so digital that what would it matter?

It was pretty noticeable when I was in Taipei a couple months ago. I'm trying to think of examples but all I remember is the traditional character signs. Wade Giles is the tool of the (foreign) devil though.

I think the character issue is just one of those, "This generation..." outcries that's largely not true. Most my kids can write pretty well and they're very low 高考 scoring Mainland Chinese, from Henan no less.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I can hardly write my name, but I can type tons of Chinese, and read it. It's weird being able to read things you couldn't write if given a pen and paper, and when explaining this to people back home, they just don't 'get' it.

I explain it like so: "Just because you see and recognize things, doesn't mean you can draw a picture of it, right? Same thing here. I can see and recognize what the characters mean, but if asked to write them, I just can't."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Hanyu Pinyin has been the official romanization system in Taiwan since, IIRC, late 2009. Unfortunately, being the Taiwanese government, there was no way they would be so presumptuous as to actually tell anyone what to do, so they made it "official", but let each of the counties and municipalities decide individually what they want to use. Hence, exactly gently caress and all have changed.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
The best is when road signs randomly change between the different pinyin systems. I've gotten used to it now, but before it was all pretty :psyduck:

Goon in the Mist
Jan 6, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

There was that one CCP member who literally killed himself over simplification. Given the choice between a communist place that used simplified characters and a not-communist place that used traditional, he just decided it was best to end it all.

If you mean Chen Mengjia, he committed suicide after/while being persecuted and publicly "struggled against" during the cultural revolution (which happened because of his opposition to simplification.)

He didn't kill himself just like, in a fit of pique over simplified characters >_<

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

The best is when road signs randomly change between the different pinyin systems. I've gotten used to it now, but before it was all pretty :psyduck:

I saw 中 written us Jung on a street sign yesterday. I wept.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haraksha posted:

I saw 中 written us Jung on a street sign yesterday. I wept.

That's some Hong Kong bullshit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

I can hardly write my name, but I can type tons of Chinese, and read it. It's weird being able to read things you couldn't write if given a pen and paper, and when explaining this to people back home, they just don't 'get' it.

I explain it like so: "Just because you see and recognize things, doesn't mean you can draw a picture of it, right? Same thing here. I can see and recognize what the characters mean, but if asked to write them, I just can't."

It would actually be pretty easy for you to learn to write the characters if you felt like taking the time to do so. Already knowing basically what they look like would go a long ways. Besides, the Heisig book is so loving good at teaching writing anyway, there's not really a good excuse not to learn.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

I got here a little too late for it, but I've heard stories from some of the long-termers of places like one corner on Jianguo South Road where Jianguo was spelled two different ways on the same signpost depending whether you were looking at the northward or southward sign.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I used to live in Ximen/Shimen/Hsimen Ding. It was confusing at first.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I live in San Xia/Hsia/Shia.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I went to Taiwan in '08 and in '09 and Danshui was, well, Danshui.

Just returned from a trip a bit over a week ago and now all the signs say "Tamsui".

:confused:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Just bought my ticked to TPE and, in an effort to save a few hundred dollars, it looks like I'll be layovering overnight at PEK in Beijing. Anyone have any tips?

I believe you need to grab a visa to leave the airport, and that sounds like a hassle and a half, so I'm just wondering about where to sleep, ha.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I know I'm woefully uneducated about Chinese and stuff but that "Tamsui" thing really irritates me, especially since I rarely make it up north and like Khysanth it was weird one day to just show up and see all the MRT signs with "Tamsui" printed on them.

I mean, for me at least, it seems that the point of romanization is to help aide English-speaking people with knowing the names of places, streets, or whatever. There's no way that changing all the signage to "Tamsui" is helping any foreigner.

It seems like after a few years of making progress with attempting to standardized towards Hanyu Pinyin (which yeah, as everyone has mentioned, will probably still never ever be correctly updated on street signs throughout the country despite it being the "official" national romanization), the powers that be are making a bunch of weird decisions with things like "Tamsui" or "New Taipei City."

The New Taipei City thing is especially weird, the Taiwan Railway Administration went through and updated pretty much all of the station names to have proper Hanyu Pinyin romanization (except for ones with "acceptable" oddness due to history like Taitung or Kaohsiung), and even purposely changed names with 新 that originally were romanized as "New ____ Station" into "Xin ____ Station", i.e. 新左營 station in Kaohsiung where the HSR ends was formerly romanized as "New Zuoying" but is now "Xinzuoying", which makes a lot more sense if you're a foreigner who speaks no Chinese and needs to speak to a taxi driver or something.

I know that's just one part of the government, but it seems they've got the right idea.

I know I'm ranting hard about romanization but especially considering the fact that Danshui used to be, y'know, right, and the original name for New Taipei was going to be "Xinbei", it just seem like the government is going out of its way to mess things up.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 3, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

quadrophrenic posted:

Just bought my ticked to TPE and, in an effort to save a few hundred dollars, it looks like I'll be layovering overnight at PEK in Beijing. Anyone have any tips?

I believe you need to grab a visa to leave the airport, and that sounds like a hassle and a half, so I'm just wondering about where to sleep, ha.

There are some nice reclining chairs to sleep on near the McDonald's in Terminal 3. McD's is open 24 hours whereas everything else closes at like 11pm. Also free wireless internet and outlets around there so you can surf or watch movies or whatever.

I'm unsure about the getting a visa to leave the airport, but you probably could. Just depends on how long your layover is because PEK is quite a ways out of the city, may not even be worth leaving the airport can't.

edit: Magna Kaser makes a good point. You're probably hosed, have fun in the airport!

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I know I'm woefully uneducated about Chinese and stuff but that "Tamsui" thing really irritates me, especially since I rarely make it up north and like Khysanth it was weird one day to just show up and see all the MRT signs with "Tamsui" printed on them.

The wiki has a reasonable if annoying explanation. I wasn't aware that the name was officially switched over last year, but I kept reading your post and trying to figure out what there would be a "Tam" in a Chinese name. Tam isn't a possible Chinese syllable.

Turns out, Tam isn't even Chinese. It's Taiwanese. The official government of the area has referred to itself as Tamsui for years, and so they decided to make it standard regardless of language.

It makes perfect sense to call it that, but if you read the Chinese characters, it's going to have a different pronunciation.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SB35 posted:

There are some nice reclining chairs to sleep on near the McDonald's in Terminal 3. McD's is open 24 hours whereas everything else closes at like 11pm. Also free wireless internet and outlets around there so you can surf or watch movies or whatever.

I'm unsure about the getting a visa to leave the airport, but you probably could. Just depends on how long your layover is because PEK is quite a ways out of the city, may not even be worth leaving the airport.

I'm pretty sure you're just stuck in the airport. If Chinese visas were so easy to get we could just grab 'em on the go in the airport everyone's lives would be so much easier.

I do wonder how it will work though with customs and stuff. Is Taiwan technically an international flight????? I MEAN IT'S THE SAME COUNTRY, RIGHT?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think one of the other Hess new hires is on the same flight that I am, we're gonna drink our collective weights in baijiu together. :china:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If you were coming in August or September you might have come to my branch. Most of our teachers' contracts start then, and end then.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Well, my contract starts August 8th, so IDK.

When do they let you know what branch you're assigned to, anyway? They haven't even narrowed it down to a city for me yet.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haraksha posted:

The wiki has a reasonable if annoying explanation. I wasn't aware that the name was officially switched over last year, but I kept reading your post and trying to figure out what there would be a "Tam" in a Chinese name. Tam isn't a possible Chinese syllable.

Turns out, Tam isn't even Chinese. It's Taiwanese. The official government of the area has referred to itself as Tamsui for years, and so they decided to make it standard regardless of language.

It makes perfect sense to call it that, but if you read the Chinese characters, it's going to have a different pronunciation.
If you read them in Mandarin, sure.

But yeah, it was switched over late last year IIRC, along with Lugang becoming Lukang for even less reason. Honestly I'm not even sure where I stand on Tamsui; it's dumb because very few of the people who need the romanization would even realize it's Taiwanese and not Mandarin, and because the change was 100% arbitrary, but it'd also be hypocritical of me to call them on that and still be an advocate of just giving the obviously Aboriginal placenames their actual Aboriginal names back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Tamsui is pronounced like "Tom-Swee" right?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
In Taichung I think one of the goofiest things in the city is that for some reason they decided that the main road through town (台中港路) should be the English translation: "Taichung Port road". Instead of just using the Pinyin "TaizhongGang". When I first moved here I was so confused why no one knew what the hell I was talking about with this "Taichung Port road" because everyone used the pinyin for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is the problem I run into when I try to get taxis to take me to Taipei City Hall station.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Tamsui is pronounced like "Tom-Swee" right?
The T is unvoiced and the S is a little closer to the pinyin 'Z'.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Hey kids, don't forget it's tax month, where you apply to get a nice chunk of your last year's salary this year!
in like August

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

duckfarts posted:

Hey kids, don't forget it's tax month, where you apply to get a nice chunk of your last year's salary this year!
in like August

If you e-File they say they'll get it to you before the end of July :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quadrophrenic posted:

When do they let you know what branch you're assigned to, anyway? They haven't even narrowed it down to a city for me yet.

They probably won't tell you until the few first days of training are done.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

quadrophrenic posted:

They tell you during training. Usually the 1st or 2nd day, so you can find who else is going to nearby branches, and you can have some buddies that will help keep you from fleeing the country.

~Culture shock~

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Magna Kaser posted:

I do wonder how it will work though with customs and stuff. Is Taiwan technically an international flight????? I MEAN IT'S THE SAME COUNTRY, RIGHT?

Haha we flew LAX - PEK - TPE and also had trouble figuring out where they wanted Taiwan transfers to go. I'm pretty sure it DID end up being an international transfer though.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

in like August

Don't pretty much all buxibans do this for you though? My boss just asked me for my info, and gives it all to his accountant who handles everything.

Also gently caress trying to find an oven in Taiwan. Hopefully the place I'm going to today will have a few that aren't ridiculously overpriced.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Recently ate at Ed's Diner in 大值Dazhi in Taipei. It was so good I feel like I have to share it. I saw it on 大學生了沒 and figured might as well give it a shot.

The barbecue is excellent. And not like a lot of the western places here are "good for Taiwan," the ribs are really a lot better than many places back in America. The pulled pork sandwich had a particularly good mustard slaw on it.

Definitely worth getting out there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

USDA Choice posted:

Recently ate at Ed's Diner in 大值Dazhi in Taipei. It was so good I feel like I have to share it. I saw it on 大學生了沒 and figured might as well give it a shot.

The barbecue is excellent. And not like a lot of the western places here are "good for Taiwan," the ribs are really a lot better than many places back in America. The pulled pork sandwich had a particularly good mustard slaw on it.

Definitely worth getting out there.

That sounds great! Got any food pictures? I'm torn between using my airmiles going to travel a week and a half staying in Taiwan or Xian --> Zhengzhou -- > Beijing? Regional food is definitely great but nothing beats finding those rare awesome western nice restaurants. Yeah, blowing money on Ruth Chris is fantastic, or dining at a Michelin star French Restaurant can't go wrong.... Finer dining is always French/Italian/Steak House

But finding the odd comfort/exotic food in this part of the world? Perogies, Swedish meatballs, Barbecue, Jewish Deli, REAL philly steak sandwich? That's just paradise for me. Sometimes I think I'm just a food masochist, when I'm in the Americas I crave Chinese/Asian food and when I'm in Asia I crave western.

太翻賤了。

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

HappyHelmet posted:

Don't pretty much all buxibans do this for you though? My boss just asked me for my info, and gives it all to his accountant who handles everything.

Also gently caress trying to find an oven in Taiwan. Hopefully the place I'm going to today will have a few that aren't ridiculously overpriced.

What kind of oven are you looking for? In my experience Carrefour sells the counter-top models for like 2000-3000. Big enough to cook a chicken maybe. If you're looking for something big enough to do thanksgiving turkeys in you may be SOL.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Unfortunately no pictures. Their facebook page (god I sound like a shill) has a couple and they look pretty much like what I got.

And yeah, it is so nice to find truly good food when somewhere else. Diamonds in the rough, truly.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

What kind of oven are you looking for? In my experience Carrefour sells the counter-top models for like 2000-3000. Big enough to cook a chicken maybe. If you're looking for something big enough to do thanksgiving turkeys in you may be SOL.
If you don't have a place with a f'real oven*, you'll need to get a toaster oven. Granted, some of the ones you can get can be really nice, but generally, just look for one with temperature control and a rack that can slide in and out and it should do for most things.

*:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Already found one (finally). I'm looking to start my own bakery here in Taichung next year. So I needed something a bit more heavy duty than a toaster oven :v:.

Found a slightly used one at a restaurant equipment re-seller for $14K yesterday though:

:hellyeah: