Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there any rule preventing you from playing your cards under a net or perhaps a fine mesh of some kind, like the ones they use for trapeze artists but card-sized?

Or putting a very powerful electric fan above the table.

My house rule is going to be once it drops all permanents that were already in play are locked in that position outside of tapping/untapping/being removed from play. You can't all of a sudden spread your lands across/under the table to avoid the wrath of the Orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Another cube question. How many cards are needed to make milling a viable archtype, assuming I'm making a standard sized cube of 360? Here are the cards I have at the moment due to starting with all the flashback cards plus a few artifacts I threw in for synergy:

Blue
Chill of Foreboding
Dream Twist
Increasing Confusion
Quiet Speculation (probably not great to use on your opponent, but is technically possible)

Black
Sadistic Sacrament (would require to go full U/B)

Artifact
Cellar Door (I've got Cemetary Reaper so it technically works with at least two decks, and it might be too durdly regardless)
Jester's Cap (probably too durdly again if there's no mill to build around)

I feel like since all the colors are going to have heavy access to flashback that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to make mill a viable primary strategy, since I'd likely need to add more cards to make it happen and I am still in the process of making cuts to trim the list down to 360.

Thoughts?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

whydirt posted:

Another cube question. How many cards are needed to make milling a viable archtype, assuming I'm making a standard sized cube of 360? Here are the cards I have at the moment due to starting with all the flashback cards plus a few artifacts I threw in for synergy:

Blue
Chill of Foreboding
Dream Twist
Increasing Confusion
Quiet Speculation (probably not great to use on your opponent, but is technically possible)

Black

Artifact
Cellar Door (I've got Cemetary Reaper so it technically works with at least two decks, and it might be too durdly regardless)

I feel like since all the colors are going to have heavy access to flashback that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to make mill a viable primary strategy, since I'd likely need to add more cards to make it happen and I am still in the process of making cuts to trim the list down to 360.

Thoughts?

I'm in the (sloooooooow) process of building a cube, and I just don't think you can fit mill into it, especially not at 360 cards. In a draft environment which is presumably at least somewhat more powerful than normal, and there just aren't a lot of mill cards that you'd first-pick that aren't also hideously powerful in limited: Jace, Memory Adept would certainly pull you in, but he also kills them in only a couple turns, and it's very difficult for them to react. Plus, it's a high-risk strategy because the cards don't really work outside the archetype, so you're giving blue a lot of non-picks.

If you're set on it, I'd toss in Jace's Erasure, and Jace's Archivist, though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If I was making a cube with a mull subtheme on it I'd try to include keening stone, merfolk mesmerist, undead alchemist, nemesis of reason, belltower sphinx, chancellor of the spires, decimator web...cards that would be playable outside of a dedicated mill strategy, but not thrilling to do so. Depends on the power level of your cube of course. Also, if your including a cube with tutors and fetchlands, you have to run archive trap.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

New cube draft. Have sword of light and shadow, sword of fire and ice, jitte, and isochron scepter. Mana and creatures are a bit of a mess though. First picked the coalition relic in the third pack, just to get some fixing.

I am not sure if this is a good deck, or a terrible deck. It is probably an inconsistent deck. Certainly has some sweet equipment though. My main qualification for creatures quickly became, 'can you hold a weapon'? Evasion was in short supply in general.
http://i.imgur.com/V1mbv.png

It is possible I should be ignoring the isochron scepter and putting more critters in instead. Not sure.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Isochron Scepter doesn't work with Sorceries.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

That manabase makes me physically ill.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Just beat a guy(well, he conceded both games) who had all this stuff like Mox Diamonds, Sylvan Library, Brainstorm, etc and then...did nothing.Literally nothing; game 2 he didn't play any creatures by even turn 4 :psyduck:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Xom posted:

Isochron Scepter doesn't work with Sorceries.
Well then I certainly done hosed up including it, didn't I? I managed to lose the first match without drawing isochron scepter or either of the sorceries anyway. Got him down to eight with a sword, then ended up succumbing to sword and land destruction.

Lunael posted:

That manabase makes me physically ill.
It has been proving to be less than optimal. I won match 2, but mostly because my opponent durdled and didn't do anything. Pretty much all games though, I've ended up short one of my colors. I haven't ended up drawing the coalition relic in any of my games yet.

I really need to just stick to two colors. I don't know how all of these channelfireball videos manage to go 3+ colors reliably. They always seem to draw their fixing while I never do.

Edit: Just watched a great replay. Dude with Oona's prowler on turn two. Discarding Akroma to the prowler himself. Turn after that he discards grave titan to prowler. Then comes exhume and reanimate, for a turn three Akroma plus Grave Titan. Of course, his opponent bitched about it in chat.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 2, 2012

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

whydirt posted:

Blue
Chill of Foreboding
Dream Twist
Increasing Confusion

Black

Artifact

Thoughts?

Don't put in Increasing Confusion. It's pretty much agreed by now that Jace, Memory Adept is too stupid to put in cubes and my friends who have cubes think that Increasing Confusion is better. It doesn't really pull you into mill as much as it gives you a card that just mills out your opponent by itself late game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah, I just cut all the mill stuff for now. I'm close to finishing my first draft and have the cards up in a google doc if anyone wants to take a look and offer advice.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsGzjdmsCOkXdHVmdnloaG5LQ3p5bTRTSFJYeFpwdXc

I think my plan is to run 63 of each color along with 45 artifacts and nonbasic lands, so that leaves me about 5-10 cuts to make across the colors, most of which should probably be spells in order to have a decent critter count.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

New cube draft. Have sword of light and shadow, sword of fire and ice, jitte, and isochron scepter. Mana and creatures are a bit of a mess though. First picked the coalition relic in the third pack, just to get some fixing.

I am not sure if this is a good deck, or a terrible deck. It is probably an inconsistent deck. Certainly has some sweet equipment though. My main qualification for creatures quickly became, 'can you hold a weapon'? Evasion was in short supply in general.
http://i.imgur.com/V1mbv.png

It is possible I should be ignoring the isochron scepter and putting more critters in instead. Not sure.

I really wish Raredraft worked with cube drafts. I'm curious how you ended up with this.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Death Pits of Crap posted:

I really wish Raredraft worked with cube drafts. I'm curious how you ended up with this.
I didn't even first pick any of the equipment. It ended up getting passed to me. I am not used to getting passed swords and jittes.

Currently drafting the mono-black deck. I know lsv, conley, and all say that it is a trap, and I am sure they are right, but it just ended up coming to me this draft. At least I won't have to worry about mana problems like my last draft deck.
http://i.imgur.com/XSy9C.jpg

I took Korlash over a go for the throat. Maybe I should have taken the go for the throat instead. Xihau Dun wheeled to me near the end of the third pack, and Korlash would certainly have been more likely to wheel than go for the throat. Part of me thinks this deck could work though. It actually has a lot of really good black cards.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 2, 2012

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I didn't even first pick any of the equipment. It ended up getting passed to me. I am not used to getting passed swords and jittes.

Currently drafting the mono-black deck. I know lsv, conley, and all say that it is a trap, and I am sure they are right, but it just ended up coming to me this draft. At least I won't have to worry about mana problems like my last draft deck.

I took Korlash over a go for the throat. Maybe I should have taken the go for the throat instead. Xihau Dun wheeled to me near the end of the third pack, and Korlash would certainly have been more likely to wheel than go for the throat. Part of me thinks this deck could work though. It actually has a lot of really good black cards.
I like this deck but I feel like there must have been something you could cut sundering Titan for? I have no idea how you ever intend on playing it with no reanimation or acceleration.
Edit: I missed coffers but my opinion is unchanged!

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Wezlar posted:

I like this deck but I feel like there must have been something you could cut sundering Titan for? I have no idea how you ever intend on playing it with no reanimation or acceleration.

Cabal Coffers? I mean I don't love Sundering Titan or anything but in a mono-color control deck it seems fine. His curve isn't too top-heavy and Visara, Karn and Titan as his only 6/7/8 drops feels perfectly fine to me. Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen Titan jammed in a lot more suspect decks before.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I think I would be more likely to cut Korlash - he can get big, but on the first turn you can play him, he's a 4/4 (or 3/3, with coffers) for 4 with a 2 mana regenerate that doesn't even save him from Wildfire.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just won the first match. Sundering titan has been good to me so far. And yeah, coffers was the key to getting him out. He was able to knock my opponent down to one land in the last game. I hosed up a little by playing Xihau Dun into a consuming vapors rebound in one of the games. My opponent was playing slowly enough that I had alt-tabbed out and was reading websites while his turn was up. I had forgotten about the vapors by the time I got back in.

Also, definitely a mulligan.
http://i.imgur.com/MBEbG.png

Edit: Second match won handily. He didn't have early pressure, and I had turn two hymn, turn three stupor. That pretty much ended it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 2, 2012

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Just won an 8-4 queue with this: http://i.imgur.com/wiEL3.jpg

Thoughts: I think the maze of ith was like 12th pick or something ridiculous like that, but it works wonders against RDW; all their blistering firecats, ball lightnings and/or thunderblusts are basically worthless. I would've most likely lost to RDW in round 2 without it (also if my opponent hadn't misplayed badly, allowing me to equip my sword).

Genesis is insane if your deck is aggro enough. If they have no graveyard hate they basically lose to it. The last game ended with my opponent at 2 life, continually forbidding my strangleroot geist until he had no cards left in hand.

Geist of Saint Traft was an extremely worthwhile splash in my experience. Chrome mox was P1P1 but I never ended up using it once.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Filthy Monkey posted:

For at least LSV's draft, what he ended up with was more of a mono-black midrange, but out all 6-7 cube drafts I did the first time around, this was by far my best deck:

Thanks to the post Abeya Minora had about the power of bitterblossom, I went for it and was very, very happy

abyssal persecutor was definitely my all-star

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The mono-black deck ended up going 3-0. How about that.

The final match was intense. Probably one of the best draft matches I've played in a long time. Sundering titan off of coffers came in huge again, bringing the guy down to two forests. All in all, mono-black has been my biggest draft success today. The deck was a lot of fun to play.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 3, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Sorry for how sacky that match was for me, Viscardus :smith:

e: For those joining us at home, I just reanimated Elesh Norn twice against his white weenie cube deck. The first game I only got to do it because he milled it for me with Body and Mind. Second game I stuck it on turn 3.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 3, 2012

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

JerryLee posted:

Sorry for how sacky that match was for me, Viscardus :smith:

e: For those joining us at home, I just reanimated Elesh Norn twice against his white weenie cube deck. The first game I only got to do it because he milled it for me with Body and Mind. Second game I stuck it on turn 3.

Haha, well, I'm pretty sure you deserved the win there either way. Your deck definitely looks like the best reanimator deck I've seen so far. Not much I could do against it, really, but I suppose that's the risk in drafting a mediocre WG aggro deck (with two swords, to be fair, but not much else). Good luck in your next match. :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Viscardus posted:

Haha, well, I'm pretty sure you deserved the win there either way. Your deck definitely looks like the best reanimator deck I've seen so far. Not much I could do against it, really, but I suppose that's the risk in drafting a mediocre WG aggro deck (with two swords, to be fair, but not much else). Good luck in your next match. :)

Thanks, you too! Honestly I think you saw my deck's better side; the first match was a lot more grindy. But when I'm done I'll try to remember to post up a screenshot and we can see for sure how good I was.

Got absolutely trashed by the red deck in the last round, suboptimal draws plus sulfuric vortex both games is something I can't do anything about. Also I forgot to ever take a screenshot so the world will probably never know how bad I am.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 3, 2012

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
A friend has been insisting to me that aggressive decks with Armageddon are completely unbeatable in Cube, so I decided to try my hand at it. After getting torn up I've come to realize that I have no idea how to build such a deck.

I got completely stomped by a value Naya deck round 1. My early start wasn't aggressive enough, and once he (easily) stabilized I had no lategame. I felt like my hands were pretty much optimal-- never any flood, good early drops, a bit of removal. Any tips?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TheGame posted:

A friend has been insisting to me that aggressive decks with Armageddon are completely unbeatable in Cube, so I decided to try my hand at it. After getting torn up I've come to realize that I have no idea how to build such a deck.

I got completely stomped by a value Naya deck round 1. My early start wasn't aggressive enough, and once he (easily) stabilized I had no lategame. I felt like my hands were pretty much optimal-- never any flood, good early drops, a bit of removal. Any tips?

Why aren't you playing Karakas over a plains? This deck seems pretty good.

edit: personally I don't like savannah lions or Isamaru much though. They really suck to draw later in the game and you really want red mana early. I feel like it'd be better if your white splash was more minimal. But it's tough to say without seeing the picks of course.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 3, 2012

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am not sure I'd be running Goblin Guide and Kargan Dragonlord in a deck where I planned on dropping Armageddon, but I admit I'm not entirely sure how to make the Armageddon plan work in this context either. I figured enchantments like Bitterblossom and Planeswalkers would be good, but they're always good so I dunno if they're especially so here or just generally good.

Goblin Guide and Greater Gargadon do seem like they'd have been awesome in this deck if you had Balance instead of Armageddon though.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Good point on Karakas... totally missed that. I'm not a huge fan of the little white dudes either, but I figured I'd give the RW a try. I think it would've played a lot better as monored with this particular pool, but now that I've had some time to think about it it occurs to me that I also had a terrible matchup against that particular deck. Several 1-drop accelerator elves, Faith's Fetters, Loxodon Hierarch, Stoneforge into Sword of Fire and Ice all 3 games-- I'm not really sure I would've fared any better anyway.

e: Also I ran a couple of games against other friends' recent cube decks and lost them all pretty handily (using MWS of course, because I'm poor and don't own cards). I could be doing something wrong (very easily) but I'm pretty much ready to declare this A Bad Deck Archetype. I even lost to the pitiably-bad monoblack aggro deck :saddowns: Every time I had the mana to play Armageddon, they had a better board presence than me-- especially on the draw I'm starting to feel that 4-5 turns is way too long to give your opponent to stabilize, especially when all that 'stabilize' against this deck means is 'play a 0/4 wall.' Maybe it's better in a more midrange deck full of efficient 3-5 drops?

TheGame fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 3, 2012

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010
Good lord. This cube stuff is so intimidating. I always run out of time during the draft since I'm busy trying to understand what the cards do, so I end up making a snap decision with 5 seconds to go and as a result I end up with the most durdly of durdle decks. Any general tips on how to approach this for an amateur cuber? I've been doing alright in the DII drafts otherwise.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Before:

After:

Cube is fun!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

HardCorey posted:

Good lord. This cube stuff is so intimidating. I always run out of time during the draft since I'm busy trying to understand what the cards do, so I end up making a snap decision with 5 seconds to go and as a result I end up with the most durdly of durdle decks. Any general tips on how to approach this for an amateur cuber? I've been doing alright in the DII drafts otherwise.

Drafting when you don't know the cards is never going to work out well: this is just as true for a new set as for a Cube. I suggest watching some Cube videos (there's a bunch on Channel Fireball.) In any case, things should become easier with practice, when you know what all the cards are and don't have to read them all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Definitely post more cube sample packs, it's a fun exercise.

Sure! Working on making some changes, sleeving up basic lands so I thought I'd :siren:CRACK A PACK:siren: for discussion.

quote:

Skizzik
Tooth and Nail
Cryptic Command
Serendib Efreet
Doom House Blade
Moorland Haunt
Pouncing Jaguar
Mana Leak
Regrowth
Volcanic Fallout
Impulse
Fertile Ground
Sudden Spoiling
Go For The Throat
Wickerbough Elder

Additionally, a question. Do you think 10 fetchlands are necessary for Cube? Right now we have the 10 Innistrad Block spell lands and they really aren't getting played. We'd be down to switch them all out for Fetches or, alternatively, slowly switch them out from lovely to decent with stuff like Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds and other utilities.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 3, 2012

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

weekly font posted:

Sure! Working on making some changes, sleeving up basic lands so I thought I'd :siren:CRACK A PACK:siren: for discussion.

I would loudly question your card choices and maybe take Mana Leak I guess.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheGame posted:

Also why aren't you playing firestorm?! That card can be pretty insane. I would've dropped crucible of worlds because it only exists to make armageddon more one-sided (you don't have any fetchlands or anything to abuse it with really), but if you play armageddon right it's sufficiently one-sided anyway.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I don't know exactly what's in your cube but I'd probably take Cryptic Command there. Blue is a good color to be in, and all the other cards seem kinda bad. I don't know if that's just because it's a relatively low-powered cube, though, or because that was just an unfortunate pack.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'd open Tooth and Nail there I think, although I feel like volcanic fallout is the more open-ended pick

edit: I like aggro and ramp more than playing objectively good decks :x

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This is my first time playing with Recurring Nightmare... :psyboom:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Also why aren't you playing firestorm?! That card can be pretty insane. I would've dropped crucible of worlds because it only exists to make armageddon more one-sided (you don't have any fetchlands or anything to abuse it with really), but if you play armageddon right it's sufficiently one-sided anyway.

Yeah I realized Crucible was too cute and sided it out for... Gideon, I think? That was just a bad call on my part.

Is Firestorm really any good? In this deck it seems that my plan would be to drop a couple 1-2 drops, burn them once or twice, Armageddon, and hope to end it shortly after that. I never really had excess cards in my hand, and pitching... let's say 2 lands, since that's all I can really see having an excess of, would let me deal 2 damage to up to 2 dudes? Like, I'd want maybe 4 or 5 excess cards in my hand before I'd want to cast this for great value, and I can never see having that many cards in hand. Casting it for 3 sounds cool because I'm turning every card into a Lightning Bolt, but the deck only runs 16 lands, no card draw, and most of its spells are Lightning Bolts anyway.

Weekly Font posted:

Additionally, a question. Do you think 10 fetchlands are necessary for Cube? Right now we have the 10 Innistrad Block spell lands and they really aren't getting played. We'd be down to switch them all out for Fetches or, alternatively, slowly switch them out from lovely to decent with stuff like Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds and other utilities.

I keep hearing everyone talking about how lovely mana is in the MTGO cube due to no Signets (and other reasons? I don't know, Tom Martell won't shut up about it in his videos), so I'd be pretty suspect of that many nonbasics that don't produce colored mana but require 2 colors--especially if your cube has no fetches (and presumably no alpha/beta duals since those are a billion dollars?). Also, on a semi-related note, Grim Backwoods strikes me as just a really poor card and I'm not sure why the MTGO cube includes it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wezlar posted:

I would loudly question your card choices and maybe take Mana Leak I guess.

:mad: Not every cube is 360 cards of MORE POWER *grunt*

Also,

Ashenai posted:

that was just an unfortunate pack.

TheGame posted:

I keep hearing everyone talking about how lovely mana is in the MTGO cube due to no Signets (and other reasons? I don't know, Tom Martell won't shut up about it in his videos), so I'd be pretty suspect of that many nonbasics that don't produce colored mana but require 2 colors--especially if your cube has no fetches (and presumably no alpha/beta duals since those are a billion dollars?). Also, on a semi-related note, Grim Backwoods strikes me as just a really poor card and I'm not sure why the MTGO cube includes it.

We don't run Signets, I think they take up too many spots in artifact city. We do run OG duels with proxies.

In other news, I think we settled on this for fun over Chaos Orb. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=74232

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 3, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I'm taking Cryptic or Tooth and Nail. That pack was really bad though, sheesh. I guess it's actually kind of good to open a mostly terrible pack, since you pass away 7 picks worth of mediocrity and are more likely to get passed good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

rinski posted:

Sure. My YouTube, Ockhams Machete's YouTube and stream. My stuff is mainly me piloting, or when OM wants to do a fun, casual draft, without a thousand viewers who expect pro play.

It's great that these are up on youtube, I can never catch the live streams. You two are an entertaining pair, for some reason 'Sanctuary Cat is the Clifford the Big Red Dog of Magic' killed me. Who won this one? The video cuts off before the oncoming conclusion.