Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Invision is incorrect about fire academy requiring EMT before you can go. What IS required is in order to get your basic firefighter certification from the TCFP, you have to have a certain amount of medical training. Most people elect to just get their EMT training, since they will need that anyway.[/url]
is also a good place to look for openings as well as the TCFP site invision linked in his post.

Whoops, sorry about that. I was under the impression that it was the case state-wide since the local college requires you to be certifiable as an EMT-B.

Sorry for the misinformation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

Whoops, sorry about that. I was under the impression that it was the case state-wide since the local college requires you to be certifiable as an EMT-B.

Sorry for the misinformation!

Eh, it might as well be that way. I've only read about the first aid class, never seen it offered or anyone get their basic FF cert that way. A lot of colleges offer an EMT-B class in conjunction with or right after the fire academy. If you aren't certifiable as an EMT-B you aren't getting a job.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Some fire academies do have prerequisites before enrollment. Some in CA have EMT-B and Intro to Fire needed before you apply. Some academies also have dual EMT-B and Firefigher I curriculum.

My advice would be to do your EMT-B first, try and get some experience and really decide if you can do EMS as part of the firefighting career. A lot of people waste their time building all these firefighting certs and come out with terrible EMT-B/Paramedic knowledge and decide they can't do EMS as part of the job. In my opinion, you have to love to do both. EMS is a big part of firefighting whether you like it or not.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My buddy convinced me to join the volunteer FD around our area that he's in. Handing in my application as soon as I get my fingerprints done for a background check. Hopefully I'll get to start going to classes around next week or so!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Ironsights posted:

My buddy convinced me to join the volunteer FD around our area that he's in. Handing in my application as soon as I get my fingerprints done for a background check. Hopefully I'll get to start going to classes around next week or so!

I hope the background check isn't for the department. If it is, that seems pretty excessive.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

I hope the background check isn't for the department. If it is, that seems pretty excessive.

...why would that be excessive?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I guess it depends on the size of the department. When I joined, I walked up to one of the meetings, said "hey I just moved here, what do i do?" and he handed me a handwritten form that i put my name, dob, and a phone number on. A few weeks later they voted me in.

If you really want to impress everyone, buy as many flashing lights as you can for your truck. It shows initiative!

(don't do that)

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
When I was a volunteer, my department started doing background checks through the sheriff's office after a couple of applicants ended up having shady backgrounds. When you are giving people access to millions of dollars of stuff and letting them operate it in public, it is a good idea to make sure they aren't criminals.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Crazy Dutchman posted:

When I was a volunteer, my department started doing background checks through the sheriff's office after a couple of applicants ended up having shady backgrounds. When you are giving people access to millions of dollars of stuff and letting them operate it in public, it is a good idea to make sure they aren't criminals.

That never really occurred to me, to be honest. But I volunteer in a town of 600 where everyone knows everyone.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

How hard is to actually get a foot in the door if I want to look into this as a career? I'm about to graduate with a liberal arts degree but I've always really wanted to do something more hands-on with my life, firefighting always seemed like a very rewarding career path. I'll be getting out with a 3.9 GPA and I'm pretty fit, but I don't know what I should be doing in terms of preparation. What would make me more competitive (aside from things like veteran points that I don't have)? Do I need to start as a volunteer and just kick rear end at it in the hopes that I get a job offer?

Basically, do I even have a chance?

Well this is the deal. Departments are hurting for cash at the moment. We have like 200 retirements in less than a year. We have almost 500 with over 20 who can retire. We are going to ride the overtime bus until we can. It is cheaper to pay overtime than hire.

Good news is that you have about 2-5 years before large departments really start hiring again. If you really want this job, you have to do EMS. Paramedics are what departments want now. You might have to move. The pay depends on your state and that is a huge thing.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYxz_uvtSI&feature=youtu.be

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Showed this to some other guys in my department. We couldn't stop laughing.

"I didn't go through 22 weeks of EMT school to have you tell me NOT to do C-spine."

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Just look at that mechanism of injury!

Although to be fair:

- cars tend to crumple more these days so it gives the appearance of a more intense MOI even though the passenger is far more protected
- you can't ever underestimate because of lawsuits...that person tells you to gently caress off and then goes home and dies that night and their family sues and will win, regardless of if the patient signed off(Oh well you should have recognized that the MOI might have affected their thought processes! or some poo poo)
- after being in any accident, people are going to have adrenaline released into their system, thus meaning they'll be useless at detecting anything beyond the most obvious injuries

Beyond that...hilarious.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

The jaws part killed me. "Cut the cables...just to be safe."

e:also the lifeflight pilot. "Woah! Look at that mechanism of injury! ...I hope they c-spined her."

invision fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 19, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Got toned out to set up an LZ for lifeflight...

At the airport.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

invision posted:

At the airport.

Could you see the mechanism of injury? Was she c-spined???

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

invision posted:

At the airport.

:frogsiren: CAREFUL! STUPIDITY IN PROGRESS! :frogsiren:

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Does anyone here have an experience with wildnerness firefighting as opposed to "regular" work? Is it an entirely different process? Do you have to go through the state / national government as opposed to your local departments? I'm trying to get a feel for all the opportunities in the career field as I prepare to head back home, and it sounds pretty rewarding. (And I'm not going to lie, "smokejumping" looks like an awesome job even though I know nobody starts off doing that and actually getting to that point is probably drat-near impossible)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

Does anyone here have an experience with wildnerness firefighting as opposed to "regular" work? Is it an entirely different process? Do you have to go through the state / national government as opposed to your local departments? I'm trying to get a feel for all the opportunities in the career field as I prepare to head back home, and it sounds pretty rewarding. (And I'm not going to lie, "smokejumping" looks like an awesome job even though I know nobody starts off doing that and actually getting to that point is probably drat-near impossible)

We burned down most of Texas last year, so I have a little bit of experience actually fighting the things, albeit with a volunteer department.

It's way more backbreaking imo. I have a huge respect for the actual wildland ff's, because it's a really lovely job.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Its also a very seasonal job. Most of the guys that do it for a living work something else during the off season. Plus I'm pretty sure they don't get paid very much at all.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I think the guys I talked to were making like $10.00 an hour or something lovely.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Could you see the mechanism of injury? Was she c-spined???

Dunno, turned the truck around when they said it was the airport. We had some people respond POV to it, whatever, they didn't need me.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Triple posting:

You ever get girls phone numbers at a call? We had a "smoke smell" call earlier and I definitely could have but didn't. Seems unprofessional to me, but I mean, I'd like to get some thoughts on that you know?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Triple posting:

You ever get girls phone numbers at a call? We had a "smoke smell" call earlier and I definitely could have but didn't. Seems unprofessional to me, but I mean, I'd like to get some thoughts on that you know?

I've thought about it, but that whole unprofessional thing comes to mind. If somebody were to just give me their number or ask for mine, I'd go for it.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Triple posting:

Are we professionals doing a job or bros trying to score some action?

If I was single and basically had a number handed to me I might take em up on it, but I would never go asking.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

senor punk posted:

Are we professionals doing a job or bros trying to score some action?

If I was single and basically had a number handed to me I might take em up on it, but I would never go asking.

This. Too many guys try to play up the firefighter thing to get girls. It comes across as desperate and makes you look like a douche bag to everyone around to witness it.

I won't even tell people I don't know what I do. I just say I work a civil servant job for the city.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

smooth.operator posted:

This. Too many guys try to play up the firefighter thing to get girls. It comes across as desperate and makes you look like a douche bag to everyone around to witness it.

I won't even tell people I don't know what I do. I just say I work a civil servant job for the city.

I have nothing against people giving out the special treatment to Fire/EMS/PD but it's pretty douchey to go looking for it. That's part of what turned me off to volunteering, since so many of the guys that are still active at my old VFD are such tools.

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded

Honey Badger posted:

I worked 3 seasons for the Forest Service on an engine back in the day. It's hard manual labor but its a lot of fun. If the season is good, you'll be working most of the summer making decent money. It's a good job that provides some cool experience but I wouldn't consider it to be a career. Smokejumpers usually have seasons and seasons of experience before they are even considered candidates for the position and even then they don't make a ton of money and are doing probably more work than the average handcrew grunt.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Oh hey look what time of year it is:

:smith:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Fun stuff heard 'round the fire house:

**Tones for "Station A" for a rocking structure fire**

:cool: : Well, we're not going to this one.
:v: : What do you mean?
:cool: : Well, they don't really like us out there - I don't think we're on their run card until the 4th alarm or so. We don't have them on ours either.
:v: : But they're closer than "Station B" and we don't like them. They're the ones that sent probies and juniors for RIT that one call, right? Wouldn't we rather have "Station A"?
:rolleyes: : **Turns on radio to ops channel for that call, puts on table** Just listen, you'll see.

During this time we hear:

- Several minutes wait for the first unit to go into service.
- County dispatch pointedly ask the chief if they want to upgrade to a 2nd alarm. This is after the police that arrived on scene confirm a working structure fire in multiple units of a multi-occupancy apartment building.
- The chief in question DECLINE the second alarm.
- The chief then approving it 2 minutes later when he pulls up on scene.
- Random shouting over the ops channel at every possible moment.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Have a motherfucking video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6ghpkNv6w&feature=youtu.be

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

No we wanted the video of your truck with $2000 worth of lights and videos of you going to fire alarms, dammit.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

No we wanted the video of your truck with $2000 worth of lights and videos of you going to fire alarms, dammit.

I dont have any POV lights :(

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47165791#47165791

I can't wait for this loving movie to come out.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Our version of sniper month posting better be some truck company guy with a hook and a can.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

<3

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

invision posted:

Thats a nice babies first fire video. Also loving the yahoos standing around eating luna bars with there yellows untucked. Do you guys not carry packs?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thats a nice babies first fire video. Also loving the yahoos standing around eating luna bars with there yellows untucked. Do you guys not carry packs?

We don't even have packs.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Haha. Engine crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

We don't even have packs.

I think I speak for everyone when I say :stonk:

• Locked thread