Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vyelkin posted:

Scholes ran around like a small kid in the school playground, as he has tended to do for most of his career in big games. The art of finding space and time against West Bromwich is completely different to finding space and time against some of the top clubs in Europe. Add to that his customary and clumsy fouling, and one wonders how anybody has the audacity to compare his career to that of Xabi and Iniesta.
This is pretty much spot on.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Xabi posted:

Except for that top club in Europe part.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Xabi posted:

All the people who think that Paul Scholes is the equal or better of Xavi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso are dumb as gently caress.

People such as Xavi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso.

Xavi posted:

In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All the people who think that Paul Scholes is the equal or better of Xavi, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso are dumb as gently caress.

Footballers are well known for having well thought out and Correct opinions.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

When the media asks you a question about a certain player, you usually say something nice about them - unless you're a proper oval office.

That comment about Scholes actually made me think back, and, yes, that's the same impression I have of him. He goes missing a lof of times against proper sides. Wonder why.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Selective memory and confirmation bias probably. Scholes doesn't go missing against good sides any more than the majority of other players, and has often been very good in important games.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Paul Scholes spends time at massage parlors and specifically asks for young girls who cry easily. The News of the World were going to run a report on this, but Slur Alex and the media elites who love him covered it up.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Selective memory and confirmation bias probably. Scholes doesn't go missing against good sides any more than the majority of other players, and has often been very good in important games.
Source?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

quote:

People Who I Believe Are Ridiculously GORGEOUS

Michael Ballack: Why he’s so GORGEOUS? Well, he’s cute, perfect, a great football player (My favorite Football player), German guys are Hot, he’s looks like Kid/Men type. And Yes, it’s another one of my platonic lovers.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Xabi posted:

Source?

Are you doing some meta thing where you fill the bad post thread with bad discussion as a performance posting piece about bad posts? Because you should stop.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
Re: City's success being tarnished by money

quote:

It's about the source of the funds. It's a bit like Andy Roddick ********ly replacing his arms with Bjorn Borg's to beat Roger Federer.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Tennis would be better with cyborg arms i think

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

8raz posted:

Re: City's success being tarnished by money

WTF is ********ly? Scottishly? (sorry if that's a bad swear I'm not from you're country)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Andy Roddick is American. I wondered the same thing though, what on earth is that censoring

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Bionically? No idea why he'd censor it though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

It might be illegally? Doesn't really make sense in the sentence structure but sometimes forums censor weird words for whatever reason.

Eastside Boxing, for example, censors the word warren so Frank Warren can't sue them for something said in a thread.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I love this guy:

Mohammad Shahrul posted:

It was a sad day losing to Fulham and has shocked me... Thank God it was a reserved team... So in the
cup final, we expect Gerrard, Suarez, Bellamy and Agger to be fresh I think... I hope an old weak Chelsea
team would be tired... Chelsea lost yesterday but look who were playing in that game! Torres, Sturridge,
Ramires, Ivanovic and Terry!! Not their reserves... Its an FA Cup final, so deep in my heart I hope we are
going to urinate them in the mouth 3-0, 4-1 or at least 2-0 in the full of embarrassment, glory to us.
Why? I dont know whats with you all but for me, I hate Chelsea so much. They are cunnilingus c_nt foreplay.
Then maybe people are going to call this a bit childish but, I dont want them/Torres to win anything this
year. I want them lose Champion League, FA Cup and out of fourth. Aaahh... What a feeling if thats
happening. Must be a great warmth feeling I guess for those cunnilingus c_nt foreplay Blues to lose aaalll
of the cups... Okay, back to work at office with my hot coffee... Its a nice day for me. The traffic without a
jam, driving a nice car and now, the hot coffee feels good. Much sugar. Morning to you all, my RAWK
friends...

- Love -

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

quote:

And regarding the live audience being 40,000 very rich people, fair enough, the club has decided it doesn't want your support, why offer it to them? It's a two way relationship, if the club prices itself out of your reach, there are lots of more reasonably priced options.

You hear that, if going to football isn't expensive, don't watch it on TV or anything, simply change to a cheaper club!

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

If you can't afford it you're not a real fan :smug:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Mods, change my name to "cunnilingus oval office foreplay blues".

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't tell if thats a joke or really that stupid

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Way too much effort for a joke.

Also, Liverpool fans.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I can't tell if thats a joke or really that stupid
It's a joke.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods rename me Peter Check tia

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

mods rename me "carrols head= 3mm"

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Lambert and Dalglish are pals, they didn´t bother against Liverpool. It was an obscene effort by them today as Lambert is on record as saying a few unpleasant things about Wenger and Arsenal in general.

I don´t like the guy and he clearly was asking his players to go in with the elbows on the gooners today. Hoolahan especially behaved like little more than a thug and referee Taylor gave him what seemed like 5 final warnings after his yellow card. They will be more than found out next season and will be relegated with about 25 points.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Paul Scholes is another player that was routinely crticized in his younger days and he's the player Jordan (Henderson) reminds me most of.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

The Anti-Semite posted:

Paul Scholes is another player that was routinely crticized in his younger days and he's the player Jordan (Henderson) reminds me most of.

Why is everyone always on Henderson's back? He's honestly not that bad a tackler.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, end the thread, can't top that.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

belgend posted:

Well you've put this in the wrong thread mate

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

belgend posted:

This is poo poo, if you are going to do that where is Timon and Pumbaa? The annoying as poo poo parrot and the hyenas? Poor effort all around.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Should really have had Mourinho as Scar, plotting his downfall.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Oh Em Gee posted:

This is poo poo, if you are going to do that where is Timon and Pumbaa? The annoying as poo poo parrot and the hyenas? Poor effort all around.

Iniesta & Puyol

vyelkin posted:

Should really have had Mourinho as Scar, plotting his downfall.

This!

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
Isn't Pele giving Messi constant poo poo in interviews?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

If you did see, as I did, a match in which the refereeing was of an extraordinarily low level, you have to decide if this was because the referee was grossly incompetent, or because he was biased. I do not find this too hard to judge, because I cannot believe that a professional referee can make mistakes on such a huge scale, and in such a lopsided manner, by error. Yes, a part time ref in the Conference can – I have seen it – but at this level, no. I don’t think it is possible. If you do think it can happen, well, again, you have your view, and I have mine. But I would say that such a view must cast into doubt the whole basis on which PGMOL works – for to suggest that a pro ref can be this awful through errors is to say that the whole basis of professional refereeing must be questioned in England.

You will see from this that my view is that this was a particularly awful event for the ref, and that I find it hard to believe that he was simply having a bad day. In which case the only explanation is that someone somewhere has persuaded the ref to fix the match. Of course I have no proof, there is no “smoking gun”. Proof is merely offered where match after match after match produces odd decision making against certain clubs and in favour of another. Here I am looking at one game only, and I believe something has gone wrong. I give only my opinion, not assertions.

But to follow my opinion through, where does it lead?

If the match was in some way “influenced” who would be doing that influencing? Surely not Norwich, who are too small a club to be involved in such things. Indeed if we suggest that a club like Norwich would be involved in match fixing then we suggest any club could be – and that every match is open to match fixing. Norwich have no chance of a finish in the Euro places, and no chance of relegation, so it all seems too unlikely.

So who then?

Presumably clubs that wanted to ensure Arsenal were hampered in their attempt to secure third position in the league. That would suggest Tottenham, Newcastle, and Chelsea. It doesn’t suggest that any of them have been attempting to fix referees all season but it does suggest that one of them might have thought it worth enhancing their chances now.

If you think that is all too unlikely then fine – but I do suggest you might consider: was it a fairly refereed match, or was it a badly refereed match – and if the latter, why.

There was much that I saw that was wrong. The tackle by Hoolahan (sorry I don’t know the exact spelling, my apologies) on Coquelin seconds after he came on, was utterly awful. Not just a bad tackle, but one of such intent that it deserved serious action from the ref. One full back had just been carried off, and here we have an immediate awful foul on his replacement. The intent was, I believe, clear. Watch out mate, we’ll get you as well – that was the intention behind that, and I believe a ref has a duty to stamp out such actions.

There were the numerous penalty appeals. As I say I have only seen them in real time, but certainly a couple looked sure fire penalties to me. And there was that dreadful occasion when a Norwich player went down holding his head, had two trainers on, would not go off the pitch, and then eventually, having gone off, sprinted from the goal round the pitch to the halfway line to come back on. Now, I don’t know if you have had a serious head injury in a game that has left you lying on the floor for a couple of minutes. Sadly I have, and I can tell you that the chance of getting up and running like that, after any real head injury is about zero. This was clearly an example of simulation – and the ref did… nothing.

I could go on, but it would be boring, and the ref review will do a much better job. But for me, and I stress this is my personal view having just watched the match in the stadium, it was clear to the players from the off that there was something wrong, and so the frustration and tension built up as they knew that every nudge and push would go unpunished. I think for many of the team it was a novel experience to see such lopsided refereeing.

If I am right, what should Arsenal do? Carry on regardless, knowing that there is a chance that any match can be fixed? Should Arsenal get involved in what seems to be quite a widespread activity? I think neither, and I hope that the club will be gathering evidence to give to the Premier League about what is going on, and will point out the integrity of the league is at issue here and suggest that unless action is taken they will make their views public.

If you believe the match was played fair and square under the rules, or that we just happened to have a ref who was having a singular off day, then ok that’s your view. But as I think back to the game I have just seen, it is not mine.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Blue Screen Error posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

crappledan posted:

lmao

JFK was most probably assassinated by the CIA on the orders of the bankers.

Go read your history. Everything else is smoke and mirrors…

We all live in a strange rose tinted fish bowl, fed a diet of dried crumbs and are expected to gawp gourmlessly and take what we are fed….

Tony is clearly fuming, and I haven’t personally seen the match. But I am reminded of Dowd letting Newcastle assault our keeper, and nothing was done.

I use the word ‘our’ somewhat loosely, because my attachment to supporting Arsenal is somewhat cosmetic.

I support Arsenal because they play good football, but if the forces of anti-football snuff that out,
then my support wavers.

I support Arsenal because I support what they bring to football.

But in truth my support is getting lukewarm, and indifference to this wretched fixed league is setting in like rigor mortis.