Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I'm almost positive the ST does NOT have it like the Euro RS Focus. I remember reading it somewhere on a different forum. There was also some bitching about it not having a true LSD maybe? It uses the brakes or something to compensate? I'll try to dig around and find the info.

edit: found an article

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/09/2011-frankfurt-auto-show-more-details-on-2013-ford-focus-st.html

Well the anti Torque Steer setup might work fine, but it is a bummer the LSD didn't get mentioned. Hopefully with this power and the true success of the LSD on the RS, they wouldn't be stupid and leave something like that out.

250+ HP in a FWD car with no LSD would be a big letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

discstickers posted:

I'm emailing dealerships to get offers, some people are apparently getting under MSRP. One guy asked me what I wanted to pay, :wtf:.
How do you do this? Just go to the dealer site and fill out forms or do you find actual email addresses?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

skipdogg posted:

I'm almost positive the ST does NOT have it like the Euro RS Focus. I remember reading it somewhere on a different forum. There was also some bitching about it not having a true LSD maybe? It uses the brakes or something to compensate? I'll try to dig around and find the info.

edit: found an article

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/09/2011-frankfurt-auto-show-more-details-on-2013-ford-focus-st.html

Aren't true LSDs being dropped in favour of brake-based torque vectoring? I know the GTI uses that as opposed to a real LSD.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

Aren't true LSDs being dropped in favour of brake-based torque vectoring? I know the GTI uses that as opposed to a real LSD.

And I'm pretty sure Ford has such a system on the SHO as well, which would imply (strongly, I think) that it would be used on an ST or RS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crustashio posted:

I believe the Fiat 500 Abarth also uses a torque-vectoring system.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok... So if so, how good/bad is it vs a real life LSD?

All this high tech crap is good on paper and in some form of testing, but man just another thing to have software/hardware issues down the line and cost an arm/leg and time to fix with stupid techs. :/

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Faceless Clock posted:

No one makes a production car like that.

It's cool that you did that and received an MPG boost but it's not relevant to what we're talking about here, which is production vehicles.

Correct. It's just a proof of concept.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So far I can pay a $1000 "market adjustment." I assume that means they're adding a grand to the price?

Also, there seems to be two different quick contact forms on Ford dealer sites. One works in Chrome and one doesn't. Cool.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I live in the god drat frozen tundra, I want some heated seats on my sporty car without also having to purchase HIDZ and loving navigation. Is that too much to ask? [all OEMs reply in concert "yes"]

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
^^^New Dodge Dart has all options a la carte if I'm not mistaken. EDIT: http://www.dart-mouth.com/pricing.html

Why haven't you guys who are so gun ho about this new Ford already bought a GTI/LI? It's substantially the same car, except with a DSG available. Sounds to me like another case of something being neat just because it's a domestic company makes it, except it won't sell.

That being said I hope the new SRT4 is something really special and befitting of the most fabled nameplate in American car making. There are rumours that it might be AWD, I'm hoping that they somehow put into use the 40/60 transverse Torsen T3 center diff from the old Alfa 159 into it. That's one way to really make it stand out among the competition, which as far as I can tell has been Sergio's MO so far.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 3, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Focus has a 50 HP increase over the GTI and I don't want a DSG, so that's irrelevant. Also, I really like the new Focus and possibly would have bought one if the ST wasn't coming out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is the Giulietta platform AWD-able? The top-end Alfa Guilietta QV is FWD with an e-diff.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is the Giulietta platform AWD-able? The top-end Alfa Guilietta QV is FWD with an e-diff.

Here's pics of the unibody and rear suspension.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/geneva/2010/1003_112_2011_alfa_romeo_giulietta/photo_15.html

Seems all right to me. At worst they can use a slightly different rear subframe or something, Buick does this with the AWD Lacrosse. I won't rule it out just because the EU model isn't AWD, they don't sell AWD 3 series sedans in Europe either, because Europeans aren't babies terrified of everything. :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's pics of the unibody and rear suspension.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/geneva/2010/1003_112_2011_alfa_romeo_giulietta/photo_15.html

Seems all right to me. At worst they can use a slightly different rear subframe or something, Buick does this with the AWD Lacrosse. I won't rule it out just because the EU model isn't AWD, they don't sell AWD 3 series sedans in Europe either, because Europeans aren't babies terrified of everything. :smug:

http://www.bmw.no/no/no/newvehicles/3series/sedan/2011/showroom/dynamics/xdrive.html

It says quite clearly right there, FIREHJULSDRIFTSSYSTEM :black101:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EdEddnEddy posted:

Ok... So if so, how good/bad is it vs a real life LSD?

All this high tech crap is good on paper and in some form of testing, but man just another thing to have software/hardware issues down the line and cost an arm/leg and time to fix with stupid techs. :/

It's way cheaper and requires less maintenance, but it's not quite as good for extreme use. On the GTI, for instance, there's been issues with it cooking your brakes if you're doing long trackdays and stuff like that since the way it works is by applying the brakes on just one side of the car when it detects wheel slip to slow/put torque on that wheel and get the differential to transfer power to the other side. All that extra brake usage in every turn leads to overheating. It's so cheap that even the base-model Focus gets it, though, since it's almost all software and doesn't really require that much more sensor stuff than is already used for electronic traction and stability control.

From a purely theoretical perspective, I believe it's also slightly worse in that the braking action actually dissipates some of the power going to the wheels to create the necessary limiting torque while an LSD I think redistributes that power by controlling how connected the two wheels are in some other way, moving any power losses down to slip on the tires from the differential wheelspeed as well as whatever parasitic loss is associated with the LSD itself. But then again, my understanding of what goes on in the various types of LSD is pretty limited, so this might be wrong. But I believe the other weakness to a brake-based system will be that there is no inherent mechanism to transfer or distribute torque to the inside wheel during turns.

The main reason to get a Focus ST versus a GTI is cost of ownership. VW parts are expensive as hell and their reliability isn't exactly that much better than Ford's. Also, the GTI looks fat and boring while the Focus has better styling (though it still looks wide and round), and the Focus has more power (though the GTI has a much better interior). And there's a bit of a stigma developing against VW because of all the idiot krauters with their hellaflush nonsense.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 3, 2012

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008
So excited to finally see pricing for the ST. Still not sure if it's the car I want, but it's at least in the ballpark I'm looking at.

Throatwarbler posted:

Why haven't you guys who are so gun ho about this new Ford already bought a GTI/LI? It's substantially the same car, except with a DSG available. Sounds to me like another case of something being neat just because it's a domestic company makes it, except it won't sell.

I want to like the GTI. On paper, it's everything I'm looking for in my next car. But the styling just does nothing for me. It's not a bad-looking car, but I can't fall in love with it. And I hate, hate, hate the plaid cloth seats (and not remotely interested in leather) and the rims they coupled with it. If there were different options in those areas without having to go after-market I'd consider it. Not sure what VW was thinking there, but the car seems to be selling, so I guess I'm just not their target demographic.

The car I'm really in love with right now is the 2012 style Subaru WRX 5-door. That car is just sexy to me. Not real thrilled about its mileage though. If the Focus ST can get better numbers (really want to see those, not just speculation), it just might be a winner.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

How do you do this? Just go to the dealer site and fill out forms?

Yup.

Best offer so far is 500 under MRSP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really happy to see how low the price is on the ST. I've decided that I'm not in the market for one anymore but a used one will be an option in 2-3 years I think.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So I read on autoblog that GM's Zeta platform is due for an update to Zeta II, and when they do that Chevy may bring a wagon and ute version to the US. I hate reading car news and knowing that the vehicle I really want is always just a ways off in the future. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm better off buying something used and selling it in a couple years to get... whatever that ends up being, if it actually happens.

It also mentioned the Camaro is going to the Alpha platform the ATS is on? That'd be nice to see it get a little smaller.

Edit: vv well the G8 is awesome, so I'm just imagining that but as a wagon.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 3, 2012

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

How do you even know those wagons would be good? It's entirely possible for a wagon to suck rear end. Particularly one developed by GM...

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The current Commodore wagon is definitely form before function - no where near as cavernous as the older ones.

No necessarily a bad thing though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

discstickers posted:

Yup.

Best offer so far is 500 under MRSP.
I've gotten one for $1500 under, though it's the ST3 package, so there might be more leeway there (I'm waiting until Monday to see what another couple places offer, though, since at least two have said they can't order until then). The rest have been $400-500 under, one for $1000 over, and several people who want to sell me base model 2012s.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

So I read on autoblog that GM's Zeta platform is due for an update to Zeta II, and when they do that Chevy may bring a wagon and ute version to the US. I hate reading car news and knowing that the vehicle I really want is always just a ways off in the future. Now I'm thinking maybe I'm better off buying something used and selling it in a couple years to get... whatever that ends up being, if it actually happens.

It also mentioned the Camaro is going to the Alpha platform the ATS is on? That'd be nice to see it get a little smaller.

What's stopping you from buying a CTS wagon right now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

What's stopping you from buying a CTS wagon right now?

I'm guessing the fact that it's twice the price of the camaro with the same engine, and on the same platform as the holden wagon.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

davebo posted:

Why not look into a Dodge Magnum? If it is a cheap, RWD, V8 wagon that you want, I think it is your only option right now. Plus, they aren't terribly expensive either.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

oRenj9 posted:

Why not look into a Dodge Magnum? If it is a cheap, RWD, V8 wagon that you want, I think it is your only option right now. Plus, they aren't terribly expensive either.

Well the reason I don't get a CTS wagon is mainly price but yeah, the Magnum is okay but a 4 speed auto just feels outdated at this point and I'd really prefer a new car since I tend to keep cars more than 10 years and reliability is essential. Also I'd go for the V6 since this is just a daily driver/work car. For now I'm sticking with my plan of 2013 Fusion or 2012 Optima, I'd just like to see more wagons and if someone does make the right one, maybe I'll trade in eventually.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I've gotten one for $1500 under, though it's the ST3 package, so there might be more leeway there (I'm waiting until Monday to see what another couple places offer, though, since at least two have said they can't order until then). The rest have been $400-500 under, one for $1000 over, and several people who want to sell me base model 2012s.

$1500, wow. I'm at $800 now, for the ST3. Where are you located?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

I'm guessing the fact that it's twice the price of the camaro with the same engine, and on the same platform as the holden wagon.

Although Holden had a hand in the initial design of the Sigma platform, it's a pretty different beast from the Zeta platform used in the Holden Cars. For one, Sigma has double A-arms in the front instead of MacPherson struts on the Zeta, and also the Sigma platform is much lighter since it has a lot more aluminum in it. The CTS Wagon is a great car, arguably a better one than the VE Holden, but it's also really very expensive. The thing stickers at $38-40k base. The Pontiac G8 sold for $10k less. The Camaro is the one that's built off of a modified Zeta platform.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Although Holden had a hand in the initial design of the Sigma platform, it's a pretty different beast from the Zeta platform used in the Holden Cars. For one, Sigma has double A-arms in the front instead of MacPherson struts on the Zeta, and also the Sigma platform is much lighter since it has a lot more aluminum in it. The CTS Wagon is a great car, arguably a better one than the VE Holden, but it's also really very expensive. The thing stickers at $38-40k base. The Pontiac G8 sold for $10k less. The Camaro is the one that's built off of a modified Zeta platform.

I'm not good at english, i meant the camaro is the one built off zeta. To get the 3.6 they sell even in the impala, you have to option the CTS up 10 grand. The 3.0 is where the 3.6 should be and the 3.6 is where a v8 should be in the CTS.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
It's a shock that the CTS still uses the 3.0L V6 when it has been banished from everything else it was in for being a turd. Yet when I went to the Cadillac site and it is still the base engine. An engine not good enough for a LaCrosse or Equinox, but good enough for a Cadillac. Mind boggling.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The CTS trim levels just follow the industry standard. The 3.0l is equivilant to a 528, and the 3.6l is equivilant to a 535. The 550 isn't a big seller for BMW so Cadillac won't sell any either.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BabyMauler posted:

It's a shock that the CTS still uses the 3.0L V6 when it has been banished from everything else it was in for being a turd. Yet when I went to the Cadillac site and it is still the base engine. An engine not good enough for a LaCrosse or Equinox, but good enough for a Cadillac. Mind boggling.

Eh, it was peaky and didn't have much torque in the lower RPMs, no different than the 528 back when it had the I6, so for a sporty car it wasn't bad but it sucked for a big SUV with an AT.

And just like the 528 it will probably be replaced with a 2.0l turbo putting out the same horsepower at some point. The Chinese SLS already has the old Colbalt SS 274hp engine as the base engine.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I keep forgetting that the CTS competes with the 5, and not the 3. I seem to remember lots of CTS-V / M3 comparison write ups with the first gen one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also the Equinox still has the 3.0l, it was the SRX that went to the 3.6l only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The CTS is a little odd since it's sized like the 5 but priced like the 3, so you can realistically compare it to either.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

BabyMauler posted:

I keep forgetting that the CTS competes with the 5, and not the 3. I seem to remember lots of CTS-V / M3 comparison write ups with the first gen one.

Probably because the CTS-V is more comparable to the M3 in terms of price. The M5 has enough of a heftier price tag to put it in a completely different class. Probably not a lot of people cross shopping a CTS-V with an M5.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The DI 3l is the base Commodore engine too. It really isn't that bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

discstickers posted:

$1500, wow. I'm at $800 now, for the ST3. Where are you located?
DC area. This was at a dealership in Upper Marlboro, MD, which is not exactly convenient for me, since I'm in Virginia, but for a $1100 savings over the next best, it's certainly worth the trip.

EDIT: Just got one for $2000 off sticker, which is $46 over invoice if the destination charge is included. I doubt I'll be doing much better.

EDIT 2: Actually, that one didn't include freight, so it's actually higher than the $1500 one.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just saw my first iQ on the road today. A Smart car naturally comes to mind at first but quickly fades as the iQ lacks that certain cheap look that Smarts usually have.

I also noticed the quirky rear windows behind the door. Just as a little thing that stood out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thwomp posted:

I just saw my first iQ on the road today. A Smart car naturally comes to mind at first but quickly fades as the iQ lacks that certain cheap look that Smarts usually have.

I also noticed the quirky rear windows behind the door. Just as a little thing that stood out.

It seems like that's about the only way it stands out:

pre:
2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 
Base Price 	$15,995 
EPA MPG 	36/37/37
Curb weight 	2150 lbs
Layout		Front-engine, FWD, 4-pass, 2-door hatchback
Engine 		1.3L/94-hp/89-lb-ft DOHC 16-valve I-4
Transmission 	cont. variable auto
Dimensions	120.1 x 66.1 x 59.1 in 
That's kind of lame for $16k base, which is $4000 more than a Smart car.