Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I have a collection of poster-sized prints of the same posters Andy Dufresne put up in his jail cell.*

* I don't (yet), but that's what I'd put up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Partners come into my office all the time and it is extremely uncomfortable, I hate it. It almost always happens right after either a.) I farted or b.) I just finished lunch and my office reeks of bad tacos, hot sauce and tears of shame

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Those are two separate situations?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
There is some definite cause and effect going on there

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

After a week of waiting, the USPTO agreed to let me back in :thumbsup:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
...do I actually have to study for this professional responsibility final?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

HiddenReplaced posted:

You should visit our IRC channel.

Can someone remind me how to connect via chatzilla on firefox?

HiddenReplaced posted:

I would also add in downloading anki and using the lawgoon MBE flaschards.

Downloaded anki, not seeing lawgoon mbe flashcards when I search for them.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MechaFrogzilla posted:

...do I actually have to study for this professional responsibility final?

Everybody cheats on that one, don't bother studying.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Why would a partner go to an associate's office when they could just hit the intercom to the whole office and say "Hey, associate, come here."

One of my partners actually does this if he calls your office and you don't answer.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Can someone remind me how to connect via chatzilla on firefox?

Downloaded anki, not seeing lawgoon mbe flashcards when I search for them.
I don't know how to get in via those methods...I just use an IRC program.

As for the cards, I think we've got them in the lawgoon outline database. I'll take a look later tonight.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't get it, joke is that you studied during law school?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

After a week of waiting, the USPTO agreed to let me back in :thumbsup:
Congrats.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Is that you, Red Bean Juice?

Also, that picture is wrong. Should be hugging the Blue Book as if it is one's precious.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
First time I ever opened my Wills textbook was about 1/3 of the way through the final today. I had the ballerest outline and it was all multiple choice so books :cool:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

Is that you, Red Bean Juice?

Also, that picture is wrong. Should be hugging the Blue Book as if it is one's precious.

Yes, and I don't know about you guys, but I personally shredded my Bluebook for use as a thickener in soups and stews to be served to people I don't really like

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bro Enlai posted:

Yes, and I don't know about you guys, but I personally shredded my Bluebook for use as a thickener in soups and stews to be served to people I don't really like

My Bluebook has actually seen more use post-law school than it did during 3L. (I may have had a boss who was neurotic about cites being perfect.)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Michigan Blue books? Or are those more widespread than I thought.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

AgentSythe posted:

Michigan Blue books? Or are those more widespread than I thought.

What, the little essay books UMich uses for handwritten exams? God no, those things are even more in need of abolition than the Bluebook, A Uniform System of Citation.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Those would be the ones. I'm glad the contagion has been contained.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

AgentSythe posted:

Those would be the ones. I'm glad the contagion has been contained.

If you mean the 7.5"x11.5" books that are horrid lined paper,and say "Blue Book: Examination Book" on the front, they haven't been. I think I even used them in HS for exams (in NY), and definitely in undergrad. And law school. All in NY. The only positive to state school is that I didn't have to pay 75¢ for the drat things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kalman posted:

My Bluebook has actually seen more use post-law school than it did during 3L. (I may have had a boss who was neurotic about cites being perfect.)
I think I lost my bluebook around 1-2L. No one ever cared, and I'm sure I've done more actual legal writing than any of the fuckers on law review who didn't clerk.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2012

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I think I lost my bluebook around 1-2L. No one ever cared, and I'm sure I've done more actual legal writing than any of the fuckers on law review who didn't clerk.

I opened my blue book exactly twice. First during orientation or whatever the heck where they showed me how it worked. Then the second time I got frustrated and threw it away because it was dumb. I had no regrets, and still have no regrets, despite a huge writing responsibility during my post-grad career. Although to be fair, unlike Kalman, my bosses have never once cared about italicized commas.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

In fairness to my boss, whatever we wrote was potentially going to be seen by quite a few people more than your average legal document, since it was a political job. Hence the desire to make sure absolutely everything had support and that support was correctly cited.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Oh dear god, this quote. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/business/derailed-on-the-fast-track.html?_r=1&ref=business

quote:

“A firm may look like a corporation, yes, but we’re all part of a fraternity of lawyers,” said the Ivy League student. “Next year one becomes a member of the bar association, a linked structure. The firms may be competitors, but at the end of the day this is still the greater legal field. I hope this sensibility that we are part of a profession will also be in the minds of people as they consider us.”

Hopelessly idealistic

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Tetrix posted:

Oh dear god, this quote. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/business/derailed-on-the-fast-track.html?_r=1&ref=business

Hopelessly idealistic

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: We Are All Part of a Fraternity of Baristas

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In a meeting yesterday, a partner described the distinction between an "attorney" and a "lawyer" by saying that the term "lawyer" refers to people who have passed the bar and are licensed to practice, whereas the term "attorney" refers to a lawyer in his/her specific role as legal advisor/advoce to/for a particular client. In other words, a lawyer who is not actively engaged by any clients is not an attorney, and any time we use the word "attorney" it should always be in reference to a particular representation.

I'm not saying I agree with this partner's characterization of the difference between "lawyer" and "attorney" but I had never heard this explanation for the distinction before. I can't find any historical evidence that this is the root of the distinction, so I am inclined to dismiss this as yet another person's opinion.

Adar posted:

No matter how many crit discussions we have, no matter how many jerks get banned, we will never get rid of the sexism and misogyny pervading our profession. :(

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

entris posted:

In a meeting yesterday, a partner described the distinction between an "attorney" and a "lawyer" by saying that the term "lawyer" refers to people who have passed the bar and are licensed to practice, whereas the term "attorney" refers to a lawyer in his/her specific role as legal advisor/advoce to/for a particular client. In other words, a lawyer who is not actively engaged by any clients is not an attorney, and any time we use the word "attorney" it should always be in reference to a particular representation.

I'll take synonym's for $1000 Alex. We came from England with legal titles and the modern profession seems obsessed with recreating them 250 years later.

Roger_Mudd, Esq.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
what's a counsel then? I'm skeptical about this whole "words" and "meanings" business

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He's a partner so he's allowed to just make poo poo up in order to sound important.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

This. Bluebooks are terrible and I can't remember the last time I opened one.

In regards to law review and clerks, how much legal writing do they do? In appeals we would file about a hundred to a hundred and fifty pages a month.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Adar posted:

quote:

“The place I’ve been working during the school year has said it’s willing to accommodate an extension for me, so I got lucky in that sense,” said Mr. Aitchison. He said the job entailed unpaid work at a government agency, but declined to name it. “I don’t want to say which one because I worry they’ll suddenly get flooded with résumés.”

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Adar posted:

Please please please

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
CALI Property lessons own. 97% on Estates. :woop:

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I think the Bluebook is the biggest waste and I hate it.

I should probably regret sleeping in on Bluebook test day because Law Review is the gift that keeps on giving buuuuut...I don't.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Meh. Finished law school with a 3.46 GPA. Only top 40%. Top 1/3 cut-off was 3.49.

Got a B+ in my 5 credit hour tax clinic this semester. Now I regret working so hard for my impoverished, degenerate gambling, self-medicated, non-filing clients when I could have been spending more time surfing the web.

Here's to hoping I wont be one of the, statistically speaking, 3-5 people from my school who will fail the Virginia Bar Exam. Hope my self-study plan doesn't back-fire.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Colorblind Pilot posted:

CALI Property lessons own. 97% on Estates. :woop:

CALI lessons are uniformly awful. I did 2-3 first year, basically got every question wrong, and never touched them again.

flymonkey
Feb 7, 2012
So, right now I'm a computer science major thinking of switching into English and going into law. This might seem random, but I have always been more interested in English and law seems like a really intense, challenging field. I went into my school as a computer science major because I thought that computer science sounded interesting and the job prospects for it are, admittedly, a lot better than the job prospects available for being an English major. However, now I am realizing that I actually have very little interest in computer science and am looking into alternative jobs that align better with my interests.

At the moment, my GPA as a freshman is a 3.14 - will this pretty much kill my chances at getting into a decent law school? Currently, I attend the University of Pennsylvania; if I am to switch majors and achieve better grades, will it make a difference, or should I consider another field? I know that right now the market for law jobs is pretty awful and tons of people are sinking in law school debt hell, so yeah.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

flymonkey posted:

So, right now I'm a computer science major thinking of switching into English and going into law. This might seem random, but I have always been more interested in English and law seems like a really intense, challenging field. I went into my school as a computer science major because I thought that computer science sounded interesting and the job prospects for it are, admittedly, a lot better than the job prospects available for being an English major. However, now I am realizing that I actually have very little interest in computer science and am looking into alternative jobs that align better with my interests.

At the moment, my GPA as a freshman is a 3.14 - will this pretty much kill my chances at getting into a decent law school? Currently, I attend the University of Pennsylvania; if I am to switch majors and achieve better grades, will it make a difference, or should I consider another field? I know that right now the market for law jobs is pretty awful and tons of people are sinking in law school debt hell, so yeah.

Hey flymonkey, check out the first post in this thread. The only things that matter for getting into law school is your GPA and LSAT score. Going to law school is a really bad idea right now. The end result will likely be high student loan debt and almost no job prospects.

I was in IT before I went back to school to become a lawyer. I think financially I would have been much better off staying in IT.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flymonkey posted:

I didn't actually go to law school, but I took the LSAT, applied to several schools, and have been consistently checking up this thread, so I know a good bit about the law school application process. In all bitter honesty, a 3.14 is not going to get you into good law schools unless you have a stellar LSAT (and even then you might not have a good shot). Competitive GPAs start in the 3.4-3.6 ranges from what I gathered.

Also, another thing to keep in mind, any major is applicable for law school, and being in a computer science major would really help you stand out and be available for more legal options then other majors would. I remember reading that people with hard science/philosophy degrees tended to fare much better on the LSAT than English/Pre-Law types, too.

Just don't fall in to the trap that is the mindset of "a JD means a steady, good paying job when I get out" because its not that unless you are extremely lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, computer science majors can often apply for the patent bar and do IP work, which opens up a whole bunch of firms that the other students can't apply for as easily, so it improves your job prospects. If you whole-hog swap majors, you lose access to the patent bar and IP stuff, but it might improve your GPA.

As far as a 3.14... It's not great. You can get into a school ranked 30-40 with a 3.1 and a 170+ on the LSAT. It's an option, but not an amazing one. Those schools are likely to have regional prominence (if in a gently caress where am I state like Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wisconsin, etc) so you have a chance at a job in your area (if you are in the top third of your class, which you cannot in any way guarantee). However, schools in that range will still have great difficulty getting a job in the large legal markets, meaning places like LA, SF, Chicago, DC, NY, probably Boston.

If you can improve your GPA substantially over the next three years and get an excellent LSAT score, however, you might not be totally screwed. With one year of a 3.14, and two or three years of 3.5-3.7 on your transcript, you'll be more in the 3.4-3.6 range, which improves your chances drastically (again, requiring a solid LSAT score; how did you do on the SAT?).

tl;dr. Chances of a mediocre school are decent, but that will leave you in debt and sad unless you get lucky. Chances of a good school are slim, but the possibility exists. Patent options open up more jobs.