Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Paper Diamonds posted:

My roommate keeps turning the thermostat to 76-78 even though its summer time. He says that it only turns on when its colder than that so on sunny days we can leave it at 78 and since its warmer outside the furnace won't come on. I ALWAYS was told to keep the temp at 65-68ish when you're out of the house/sleeping because it saves money. He claims I don't understand how a thermostat works; which I don't, but I do think it saves money my way. Which one of us is right?

your roommate is a lazy idiot. if it gets down to anything below 76 at night (in your house/apartment, it most likely does) then the heat is going to kick on, making your place warmer and wasting power. you're likely sleeping, and even if you're not, you probably don't like it to be in the high 70's when you do. tell your roommate to simply turn the heat on when its cold, and off when it's not. it'll save you the headache of having a discussion on the operation of a thermostat, as well as some money and possibly discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Hughlander posted:

A lot of it depends on the type of game as mentioned above. World of Warcraft for example with tons of add-ons loads hundreds to thousands of tiny .lua files each one has to have the HD head step to the correct position. When I got my SSD card a few years back my load time from character selection to in game in a crowded city went from 1 minute 18 seconds to 8 seconds.

I've noticed that loading maps in an FPS game is noticeably faster. It seems worth it to me if you're only playing a few games at any one time. Any more games installed at once and you'll probably want a mechanical HDD because of the price of higher capacity SSDs.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
What kind of plant is this?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Some kind of succulent. I'll try to find it but someone else will probably beat me...

edit: one of these? http://thesucculentgarden.com.au/sedum.html

edit: or one of these? http://www.esbenshades.com/onlineshopping/proddetail.asp?prod=100000049822

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 3, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Your post reminded me of a houseplant that I wanted to find out about, so I googled about cactuses, and this might be yours. It is a kind of Echevaria apparently.

I MAY BE WRONG. There are loads of kinds but that particular picture reminded me of yours.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Tshirt Ninja posted:

A slightly leggy Echeveria prolifica.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Echeveria prolificeditfuckbeaten.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

I've noticed that loading maps in an FPS game is noticeably faster. It seems worth it to me if you're only playing a few games at any one time. Any more games installed at once and you'll probably want a mechanical HDD because of the price of higher capacity SSDs.

That's the truth. 60 GB doesn't go very far with a windows install and a few other things.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Travakian posted:

If I were to rig up a male-to-male microUSB connection between two smartphones, would either one try to charge off the other? If not, why not?
Not if they're both USB devices, which they almost certainly are (as opposed to USB hosts or hubs) since a host won't draw power from a device, nor will a device draw power from another device for both physical/electrical reasons (resistive termination in the device is not in the host, and the host uses that to sense an attached device) and software reasons (descriptor strings in USB config indicate available current for attached and enumerated devices beyond the base 100mA, which would be 0 in the case of a device trying to act as a host.)

I've heard of tablets with host ports, but not phones. If these hypothetical phones were both OTG (USB on-the-go switchable host/device in one port) then something would happen, but I'm not sure exactly what. If both OTG devices were designed to spec, neither would charge the other at all. If one were OTG and the other a device, the device might attempt to charge from the OTG host but, depending on the PHY/controller stack, the OTG host may or may not allow it. If the OTG host were fully USB compliant, it would not allow it.

Admiral Heklar posted:

It depends, some smartphones need a certain voltage input to start charging and some need to see a controller to be on the other side of the connection.
In theory its possible but in practical terms would likely do little to charge the other phone, in any case it would be inefficient.
hope this helps
USB is 5V across the VBUS supply both at the host and the device. Voltage is not the reason this won't work. Hope this helps.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Lawnie posted:

That's the truth. 60 GB doesn't go very far with a windows install and a few other things.

Especially when people do the HDD for games/apps and use the SSD for the OS mainly.

The winsxs folder chews up a fuckton of space.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Paper Diamonds posted:

My roommate keeps turning the thermostat to 76-78 even though its summer time. He says that it only turns on when its colder than that so on sunny days we can leave it at 78 and since its warmer outside the furnace won't come on. I ALWAYS was told to keep the temp at 65-68ish when you're out of the house/sleeping because it saves money. He claims I don't understand how a thermostat works; which I don't, but I do think it saves money my way. Which one of us is right?

Lawnie was right - if you're in a season when you don't think you'll need it at all, turn the switch to off.

However, your roommate is also sort of right, although he is resting on a "ha I know how this works :smug:" attitude and it is causing him to ignore the reality of what Lawnie said.

Basically, your roommate is imagining that the house temp will never drop below 76F and so the heat will never come on anyway. So he's all :smug: why turn off the heat when the magick of automatic controls will take care of this for us?
I admit, automatic controls (such as thermostats) are really amazing things.
But as Lawnie pointed out, your thing will likely kick on at night, heat the house when you don't care for the house to be heated, and add more total heat to the house that you'll hate when it gets hot in the daytime.
Especially if the setpoint is 76, wtf, that is HOT.
If it is summer, turn the switch to off.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Psychorider posted:

That sounds like Familiprix, a Quebec-based drugstore chain. Here's the one you might be thinking of.

That's the one. Thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

alnilam posted:

Lawnie was right - if you're in a season when you don't think you'll need it at all, turn the switch to off.

However, your roommate is also sort of right, although he is resting on a "ha I know how this works :smug:" attitude and it is causing him to ignore the reality of what Lawnie said.

Basically, your roommate is imagining that the house temp will never drop below 76F and so the heat will never come on anyway. So he's all :smug: why turn off the heat when the magick of automatic controls will take care of this for us?
I admit, automatic controls (such as thermostats) are really amazing things.
But as Lawnie pointed out, your thing will likely kick on at night, heat the house when you don't care for the house to be heated, and add more total heat to the house that you'll hate when it gets hot in the daytime.
Especially if the setpoint is 76, wtf, that is HOT.
If it is summer, turn the switch to off.

Nest is pretty much the ultimate :smug: when it comes to the ages old fight over the thermostat.

Of course, that fight lives on because people love to think they are smart even though they are just regurgitating stupid poo poo they were told.

I wish I had video of a pretty good mechanic I know telling me how cruise control is bullshit and you get worse gas mileage because of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The winsxs folder chews up a fuckton of space.

It actually doesn't, at all. Most of the space "used" is pointers to other files and is thus not actually in use.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

gariig posted:

You are right Breyer's has started to suck and Wikipedia seems to support that. It's probably the lack of milk fat more than the crazy long list of ingredients. It no longer contains enough fat to be ice cream but is a "frozen dairy desert"

Those sneaky, cheap bastards. Yep, the label does indeed says "frozen dairy dessert."

Thanks, Gariig, for the info. I was seriously wondering if it was all in my imagination. I even had the thought, "Well, maybe I just don't like ice cream any more."

Those jerks almost made me think I didn't like ice cream, which is almost like fooling someone into thinking that they hate getting blowjobs.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Noni posted:

Those sneaky, cheap bastards. Yep, the label does indeed says "frozen dairy dessert."

Thanks, Gariig, for the info. I was seriously wondering if it was all in my imagination. I even had the thought, "Well, maybe I just don't like ice cream any more."

Yeah, there should be a law against that. It's kind of like bait and switch. I don't buy ice cream very often, but I was under the impression that Breyer's was still pretty much the best, most 'real' old fashioned kind. gently caress that, I won't be buying them ever again.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Knightmare posted:

Can a small solar panel out of something like a calculator power a little motor? Even a slow crawl would be fine. If not, is there even any size panel that you could strap onto an electric motor and have it move itself?
Totally possible:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/world-s-smallest-solar-powered-car-37373
They're pretty crappy though.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Noni posted:

Those jerks almost made me think I didn't like ice cream, which is almost like fooling someone into thinking that they hate getting blowjobs.

Haagen-Dazs has their 5 line of ice cream :shobon: http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/five.aspx

Their Milk Chocolate flavor only lists the ingredients as: SKIM MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Install Gentoo posted:

It actually doesn't, at all. Most of the space "used" is pointers to other files and is thus not actually in use.

I'm pretty sure "used" is proper nomenclature when people run out of space and find a single directory using 20-30GB. Unless you found a way to use that "doesn't, at all" space.

It's the #1 whine I hear about from people with SSDs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My mother-in-law needs surgery. She has cataracts in both eyes and is basically blind at this point. She's 61 years old and has no medical insurance and doesn't qualify for Medicare until 65 but we can't wait that long anymore. We live in Riverside county in California

I'm looking for suggestions on what my best options are for paying for this surgery. Poking around online it looks like it can be anywhere from $6k to $10k to pay for the surgery out of pocket. We were on a waiting list for a year for county assisted health care but that is expiring this month. We've since moved and the new county we live in does not offer anything like that. Medicare doesn't kick in for another few years. We're taking care of her now and we have the cash but it would severely dampen our savings to do so.

What resources do I have to help pay for this surgery?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

when worlds collide posted:

Yeah, there should be a law against that. It's kind of like bait and switch. I don't buy ice cream very often, but I was under the impression that Breyer's was still pretty much the best, most 'real' old fashioned kind. gently caress that, I won't be buying them ever again.

Well, there IS a law against it, hence why they have to use the nomenclature "frozen dairy dessert," and not ice cream!

I agree that it's a deceptive business practice, though.

And to top it off, there's something called "overrun," which is basically how much air they put into the product. Real ice cream can be up to 50% overrun. So that gallon of ice cream you buy can actually only be a half gallon, the rest is just air. Now, some air is desirable, you want a good "mouth-feel," I mean...whipped cream without air is just cream, and ice cream without air is frozen milk. But good ice cream companies only use a moderate amount, not the whole 50% allowed by the USDA.

And Breyer's "frozen dairy dessert", not being real ice cream, may not have to conform to the same overrun standards, so who knows how much air they put in their product.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'm pretty sure "used" is proper nomenclature when people run out of space and find a single directory using 20-30GB. Unless you found a way to use that "doesn't, at all" space.

It's the #1 whine I hear about from people with SSDs.

No, like, it'll say it takes up 15 GB of space for example, but it's actually taking up 7 GB. You can end up with the "used space" + "free space" on the drive adding up to more than the capacity of the drive itself from this.

The WinSXS directory is usually around 2-7 GB of space actually being taken up. My entire Windows folder on my Windows 7 Ultimate install is 20.8 GB, the WinSXS folder is 7.5 GB. If you had WinSXS alone actually taking up 20-30 GB, that would be highly unusual and probably an indication that something's broken. It is NOT normal for the WinSXS folder to take up 20-30 gb of actual space.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I want to make a meme out of my friend's pictures, how do I proceed? Thanks.

Like I want to write words on the top and bottom.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

please respond posted:

If you can work Photoshop, use the Impact font in white, and then select the layer with the text >Blending options >Stroke and adjust the size until it looks right.
If you're lazy you can just use http://wigflip.com/roflbot/ and crop out the watermark after.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Noni posted:

I noticed it too, a while ago. It's more noticeable in the ones that don't have all kinds of crap in them like peanut butter cups. I thought I'd just accidentally bought the diet version :( Turkey Hill is still good though as far as I know, if you have it where you are. Ice cream is super important to life.

please respond posted:

Memegenerator.net does it easily, though it'll have a little watermark at the bottom. It's quick and easy.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Rhizoid posted:

Totally possible:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/world-s-smallest-solar-powered-car-37373
They're pretty crappy though.

That's cool, thanks. I have a project like it in mind but micro-machine size, I'll have to do some more research on it. Good to see that's possible at some level though.

Fake edit: I'm dumb, that IS micro machine size

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
The company I work for is opening a new store in a small city nearby. We sell printed sportswear. Our current outlet store is really low-tech, in fact the whole company is relatively solid-state, but we'd like to at least start the place out with a standard POS barcode scanner, swiper, cash drawer whatsit.

I'm helping research the various options; I wondered if some goony shop-owner could make a general recommendation. I see Staples has what looks like a plug-and-play POS for $3k. I see a lot of options starting at around $600 without a computer and probably some lovely hardware and sw.

Is there a go-to POS for a small store?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a lot of really nice POS systems for iPad now. They include hardware like CC swipers, barcode scanners and cash drawers. They can often be had for under $1k for the kit (minus iPad, so add $500), but most of them do have an ongoing service fee. The monthly fee does get you ongoing support and maintenance though.

I don't have any first hand experience so I don't want to recommend one service, but the handful of people I've spoken too like the setup better than a traditional pos.

http://www.shopkeep.com/
http://www.poslavu.com
http://revelsystems.com/

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey. So my vision is sub-optimal, but still good enough that I am perfectly cool not wearing glasses. My question is, am I actually damaging my vision further by choosing not to wear glasses (better phrasing: which damages my vision more, wearing them or not)? Also, am I damaging my vision if I read particularly small text?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Dancer posted:

Hey. So my vision is sub-optimal, but still good enough that I am perfectly cool not wearing glasses. My question is, am I actually damaging my vision further by choosing not to wear glasses (better phrasing: which damages my vision more, wearing them or not)? Also, am I damaging my vision if I read particularly small text?

Glasses make your vision worse if you're myopic and you wear them while looking at near by things. And yes, reading larger text is easier on your eyes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

Some studies have shown that higher amounts of reading as a child contributes to higher myopia rates. You could be damaging your eyes; it really depends on how old you are and how much you're straining yourself.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Think about how you look at things for a while, if you notice you're squeezing your eyes often, or moving closer to things to look at it, get glasses asap. Not just because your eyes degrade (don't know about that!) but bad eyesight is a big cause of headaches and concentration problems. If you don't consciously think about how you look you won't find out, because it's really automatic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I plug an male/male aux cord into my computer's line-in and a cassette player's 3.5 out, will my computer be able to recognize the sound from the tape player? I have come across a box of tapes I made as a kid and thought it might be funny to rip them. But I don't have a working tape player to test this theory out and want to know if it will work before I plop down the 5 bucks or whatever it'll take to get one.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
No, but you can probably get an adapter for like a dollar.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

No, but you can probably get an adapter for like a dollar.

Huh? Of course it will work, you're going from an analog out to an analog in. What adapter are you thinking of besides a simple m-m 3.5 cable

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 4, 2012

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

What is the name of that production company that is responsible for the majority of top 40's songs?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FCKGW posted:

Huh? Of course it will work, you're going from an analog out to an analog in. What adapter are you thinking of besides a simple m-m 3.5 cable

youre right, I was thinking the line in would be an RCA connection for some reason.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Black Noise posted:

What is the name of that production company that is responsible for the majority of top 40's songs?

Stargate? I only know them from a New Yorker article but they've done a bunch of stuff, mainly with Rihanna.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just read this comedy goldmine about insane openbook finds. Does that thread still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Does anyone know if the Venture Brothers season 4 on iTunes is uncensored? If it's not, I'll just get the DVDs. I hate bleeping.