Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

See the little numbers on each reel icon? You get jackpots by matching three numbers (4-4-4, 6-6-6 etc.) or by getting special number combinations (9-1-1, 4-5-1 etc.). What one did you get, out of interest?

I don't remember the combination, but I remember the effect was that all enemies and weapons spawn. I didn't last long after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Reelism is bloody fantastic. I love the sheer size of the maps, among many other things.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress Hexen. Throw that poo poo in the trash.

I really like Hexen :( The keymaze thing gets a little annoying but I really like the idea behind the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fren posted:

Reelism is bloody fantastic. I love the sheer size of the maps, among many other things.

Speaking of maps, Kins, I'm going to finally follow through on that offer to make a map for this mod. I've played around with the latest version and think I know what we're looking for: Sprawling, arena-style maps with just the right amount of panache. Nothing too detailed, but something a little prettier than "ugly."

I shall call this map that I am working on, The Four Seasons.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I really like Hexen :( The keymaze thing gets a little annoying but I really like the idea behind the game.

The idea is great and the atmosphere is nice (though I think Heretic was spookier/cooler) but playing it is just such a goddamn chore. The game is keymazes and nothing else.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Reelism should work fine with GZDoom netplay, right?

I tried playing with a friend and discovered netplay wasn't working right in GZDoom r1371. As soon as the game starts up, we just saw an error message like "Player 2 has desynced", then the HUD weapon sprite is shoved to the left side of the screen and you can't interact with anything. I was just hosting a Co-op match with standard settings through ZDL, and this was happening even with vanilla WADs. What's the most recent GZDoom revision that's guaranteed to work for multiplayer?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

The idea is great and the atmosphere is nice (though I think Heretic was spookier/cooler) but playing it is just such a goddamn chore. The game is keymazes and nothing else.

I love the classes from Hexen (and monsters) but i prefer Heretic map design. Hexen II is kinda better on that, and Heretic II is nothing like them but yet i love it.

There should be a way to port Heretic maps to Hexen or Hexen classes to Heretic and i'd play the poo poo out of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The thing I didn't like about the classes in Hexen is that everyone only got four weapons the entire game. Maybe it'd be more fun if you could use every weapon, I dunno.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Highest Reelism score so far: 119264 points, 6 levels in. 2357 monsters dead.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The thing I didn't like about the classes in Hexen is that everyone only got four weapons the entire game. Maybe it'd be more fun if you could use every weapon, I dunno.

Yeah that didn't help the maze monotony at all.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Kins, I've been playing Reelism religiously for the past few days. I would love for some way to both increase the time per way and the number of waves per game. Add that to more levels and more types of random everything, and it's basically perfect. I'm also curious about The Jerk. He seems to show up when there's too many enemies about, as I got him three times in a row during a game that mostly involved hiding. I also got Dog mode and Caffeine, and after a dozen or so Dog mode blasts I think I managed to 'kill' The Jerk, but then the game crashed, probably because I'm not meant to.

Do you take donations? I'd love to fund more of this ridiculousness.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The problem with Hexen II is that they made these incredibly detailed huge levels with minimal hand holding, but didn't give you any way of interacting with the environment beyond "hit thing" and "walk into switch." So it gets super tedious as you end up having to roll around destroying every object that exists in each level to figure out how to proceed.

Also when you activate the church bell in black marsh, if you try to jump onto the lever you slip between it and the belltower and this little dinky lever thing crushes your character to death in two seconds flat. :D

I like the game a lot overall but it really just needed more stuff to do. You get a blurb at the beginning of each section of some far reaching end-level goal that you're not even close to having the items for which made me question why the messages were there in the first place.

It's third person (I'm sure you could make it first person in the console for but forget) but I loving loved Heretic II. It felt like a great combination of ideas from both games even if you only play as Corvus from Heretic.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The problem with Hexen II is that they made these incredibly detailed huge levels with minimal hand holding, but didn't give you any way of interacting with the environment beyond "hit thing" and "walk into switch." So it gets super tedious as you end up having to roll around destroying every object that exists in each level to figure out how to proceed.

And the loving nine tiles puzzle in the Egypt area is the worst puzzle ever because it MAKES NO SENSE.

I really liked Hexen II overall, though.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Kakumei posted:

And the loving nine tiles puzzle in the Egypt area is the worst puzzle ever because it MAKES NO SENSE.

I really liked Hexen II overall, though.

Theres actually a combination that makes it unsolvable too, I think.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 3, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Entirely this. Twelve weapons sounds great but when they're spread over three characters and doled out at a rate of one per episode it gets old fast.

I wonder what Hexen would look like if it were made today?

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Updated GOONWAD list:

Cream-of-Plenty - "Suicides" + "Abattoir Blues" (almost done fixing, will rehost)
Sanzuo - "Starship"
Encryptic - "Blood of the Earth"
an_mutt - "Aquatic Ruin"
SPACE HOMOS - "Waste" (needs to be fixed?)
Jimmy Boag
Chinese Tony Danza
John Carstairs - "TeleLab 01"
Reive
Dukka
Ayin

MAYBES:
Savage Messiah
Is there still room for this? Time frames? I'd throw something at this.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

PirateNipple posted:

I'd like to get in on this too if I can. Also if this is gonna be a serious thing we might want to organize a slightly more concrete game plan, no?

Incidentally, would anyone in here be interested in playing my aborted half-completed Doom II episode? I posted it in my Doom II LP back in the day, and it was pretty well received, but I've barely touched it since then (late 2007). I'm not super happy with it in retrospect, but it's not like I'm ever going to do anything else with it at this point so I'd rather throw it out there than have it sit unreleased on my hard drive until the end of time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

PirateNipple posted:

CyRaptor posted:

I'd like to get in on this too if I can. Also if this is gonna be a serious thing we might want to organize a slightly more concrete game plan, no?

Incidentally, would anyone in here be interested in playing my aborted half-completed Doom II episode? I posted it in my Doom II LP back in the day, and it was pretty well received, but I've barely touched it since then (late 2007). I'm not super happy with it in retrospect, but it's not like I'm ever going to do anything else with it at this point so I'd rather throw it out there than have it sit unreleased on my hard drive until the end of time.

Of course there is still room. Feel free to hammer out a map or two and submit them on this thread so that we can check them out, give some constructive criticism, and hopefully at some point accrue enough maps to make a decent MegaWAD out of. Things have been quiet for a few days though.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Speaking of which I'm not taking part in the GoonWAD, I don't feel anything I can create at my current level will be good enough.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Man, I'm digging Reelism, but some monster rolls are pretty much run killers every time I get them. Could be I'm just a baddie, but it's consistently an instant loss when I get Renaissance Unfair or They Were Robots. Archers and flame robots do huge amounts of damage and their attacks are hard to avoid. I don't know if that's by design, but I just get completely hosed by them :/

Edit: It isn't the flame robot itself but the flame damage mechanic. I noticed this when one of the tiny fireballs from a car explosion just clipped me and my health plummeted by like 80 points.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Reive posted:

Speaking of which I'm not taking part in the GoonWAD, I don't feel anything I can create at my current level will be good enough.

Fair enough. At least you gave it the college try!

RyokoTK posted:

Man, I'm digging Reelism, but some monster rolls are pretty much run killers every time I get them. Could be I'm just a baddie, but it's consistently an instant loss when I get Renaissance Unfair or They Were Robots. Archers and flame robots do huge amounts of damage and their attacks are hard to avoid. I don't know if that's by design, but I just get completely hosed by them :/

I noticed this, too. The other Renaissance enemy (the melee attacker) isn't a problem, but the archers can lay down some accurate, fast missiles that do a lot of damage, especially in groups.

Hopefully I'll be ready to post this Reelism map in the next day or two. The concept of "Four Seasons" is basically a giant map, separated into quarters, with each quarter being a "Season", as it would exist in Doom. So you've got the brown, bombed-out warzone, the space age toxic refinery, a hellish red bloodscape, and a lovely grass, marble, and blue ponds utopia. All the seasons!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Played Reelism a bit, pretty cool stuff. I swore I read you got co-op working though, did I imagine it or is that still coming? These types of mods I kinda like playing with more people since I get a bit overwhelmed if there's hordes of enemies that I have to keep killing by myself. That and I'm pretty bad at it from what I can tell :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fren posted:

I'm also curious about The Jerk. He seems to show up when there's too many enemies about, as I got him three times in a row during a game that mostly involved hiding. I also got Dog mode and Caffeine, and after a dozen or so Dog mode blasts I think I managed to 'kill' The Jerk, but then the game crashed, probably because I'm not meant to.

Do you take donations? I'd love to fund more of this ridiculousness.
There's nothing weighing what reel you get based on what's going on in the level, it just rolls a 13-sided dice three times. Weird dice...

As for the Jerk, was low gravity on? He seems to get blown up into the air by barkblasts for some inexplicable reason. You might have got him stuck on something. I'll have a look.

I can't take donations for a stupid Doom wad full of ripped sprites! Give your money to an animal shelter or something nice. :)

sniperchance posted:

Reelism should work fine with GZDoom netplay, right?
It should work fine, but I haven't been able to test it myself beyond ZDoom's decade-old unmaintained bot code.

RyokoTK posted:

Edit: It isn't the flame robot itself but the flame damage mechanic. I noticed this when one of the tiny fireballs from a car explosion just clipped me and my health plummeted by like 80 points.
I'm gonna have a look at some of the balance. Some stuff is a bit too hardcore right now, and some stuff isn't hardcore enough.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hopefully I'll be ready to post this Reelism map in the next day or two.
I'm looking forward to seeing it! I got sent a map by someone else today, and it... it sure is a thing. I'll probably include it in my bugfix update since it's awesome.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

At the moment, regarding the goonwad, I'd say that about 13-16 map spots are taken up if you take into consideration the idea that some mappers may want to include more maps, including myself. I think you can easily sort those into their own themes (tech-based, outdoor, hell, etc.) and then see how big each episode may be, which one goes first (outdoor > tech > hell?) and which episode needs more maps contributed towards it.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToxicFrog posted:

I wonder what Hexen would look like if it were made today?

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? That kinda comes off as a modern version of Hexen. Fantastic game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah pretty much. Alternately, Skyrim.

e: i'd love another tight, combat focused sword n' sorcery game like Dark Messiah though

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I loved Hexen. It has the best atmosphere of the Doom engine games. Easy to get lost and it took too long to kill enemies were it's faults though.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

an_mutt posted:

At the moment, regarding the Doomwad, I'd say that about 13-16 map spots are taken up if you take into consideration the idea that some mappers may want to include more maps, including myself. I think you can easily sort those into their own themes (tech-based, outdoor, hell, etc.) and then see how big each episode may be, which one goes first (outdoor > tech > hell?) and which episode needs more maps contributed towards it.

Yeah, i've nearly got a hell level finished. Everybody make more maps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Reelism's been updated! I've fixed a bunch of bugs, done some tweaks, rebalances and general polishing, and added a newish map by Xaser (DTWID) that you might recognize from Ghouls vs. Humans and ZDoom Wars...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm loving Reelism but sometimes it starts to feel like beating your head against a wall. I don't mind a few random combinations being total killers, but the billions of spawns start getting annoying since it starts slowing my framerate in addition to spelling instant death, especially in the huge no-cover maps. Can we have some sort of wimp easy mode with fewer spawns or a different spawning mechanic or something? I like huge maps, but the fact that those big courtyards get populated with 30+ dudes in a about 30 seconds takes things from crazy wild to just "instant death, reload, instant death". I still couldn't stop playing, and I don't expect to actually make it through 5 rounds for one out of a hundred games or whatever, but it would be nice to actually have a fighting chance of making it past the first round without just getting something easy like infinite ammo + bronies or something. Even something like more health drops would work, since I can never, ever find a health pack and they like to spawn in weird, constricted areas where you get stuck on something and then get instantly destroyed by the 300 dogs you've been kiting.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
Okay, here's as far as I got with Rubicon, the megawad I had planned in my naive high school and college years. Sadly this is all I have to show for five years of work between 2002-2007. There's five finished maps (01, 04, 05, 07 & 09) with 02, 03, 08 & 31 in varying states of completion. 06 and 09 are also occupied but are basically just a single room each.

:siren:Rubicon.wad:siren:

I'm mostly just posting this for fun and so all that work doesn't go to complete waste, by having someone else be able to play them. I don't mind taking suggestions/criticism/whatever, just keep in mind that this is years old and I'd like to think my mapping has improved since.

Playing through it again, there are a lot of set pieces I'm actually really proud of (the "shoot the wall demon" secret and the hell knight arena trap in Map04, the "purify the nukage to get the door hydraulics working" bit in Map05). On the whole though I find my architecture to be really cramped and too symmetrical and orthogonal to be very fun. The monster and item placement wasn't given too much thought either, although it was even worse prior to the feedback I got when I posted it in my LP thread.

The first three maps I'm still fairly satisfied with. Map05's definitely my favorite and I'd like to remake it for goon.wad. Map04: Alpha Complex is based on M1 of Doom's Alpha 0.5 and M10 of Alpha 0.4, with several embellishments, hence the name.

Map07's just a Dead Simple style arena level that isn't much fun outside the context of a multi-level wad. It is what it is.

Map09 though I really hate. It's pretty, but I just went waaay overboard with it and the Doom purist in me finds it repulsive. It was really just the result of me going nuts with Doom Builder after several years of using a clunky program called WadAuthor. Also it's essentially a heavily filtered remake of the first two levels of Duke3D, so it doesn't even have originality going for it.

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that it also includes a new custom enemy, the Maggot from Doom 3. It replaces the Wolfenstein SS so it's got a gun fused to its arm. I dunno. I am very happy with its graphics though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How exactly do I go about starting a co-op game of Reelism? I've done co-op successfully many times with GZDoom, but Reelism just acts like it's running single player after the client connects.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54418567/jimmy%20boag%203.wad

Here's a fairly big open hell level.

Not sure if I've overdone it a bit with the gzdoom features.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is there a setting or mod or something in gzdoom that will let me use the new HUD overlay but that keeps the classic doomguy mugshot around? The fact that the old HUD panel makes the crosshair / aim point off center from the screen is messing with me, but I feel like the face is part of the doom charm.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Is it just me or does the latest Reelism not have automatic weapon switching? I have it set in my player options, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jimmy boag posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54418567/jimmy%20boag%203.wad

Here's a fairly big open hell level.

Not sure if I've overdone it a bit with the gzdoom features.

I like it. My FPS dropped a little bit more than I would have liked in the outdoor glass hallway, but it was a great challenge on Brutal Doom + UV and a good demonstration of GZDoom's features.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Is it just me or does the latest Reelism not have automatic weapon switching? I have it set in my player options, but it doesn't seem to be working.
I disabled it because a guy made a solid case for it and we both forgot about that setting. :downs: I'll try and push out a new version soon that fixes that and a couple of other little things.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

I disabled it because a guy made a solid case for it and we both forgot about that setting. :downs: I'll try and push out a new version soon that fixes that and a couple of other little things.

Ah, thanks! I'm loving the mod a lot.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like it. My FPS dropped a little bit more than I would have liked in the outdoor glass hallway, but it was a great challenge on Brutal Doom + UV and a good demonstration of GZDoom's features.

I echo this sentiment, though I played through it using regular GZDoom. The other maps in the WAD were good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Is there a setting or mod or something in gzdoom that will let me use the new HUD overlay but that keeps the classic doomguy mugshot around? The fact that the old HUD panel makes the crosshair / aim point off center from the screen is messing with me, but I feel like the face is part of the doom charm.

TDAFSHUD.wad will replace the medkit in the new HUD with the classic face. Sorry about the lack of a download link, but I don't remember where i grabbed this.