Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

Giedroyc posted:

Red Dwarf has dated a bit but it's nothing compared to the high opinion they have of themselves (even the poo poo series) on the DVD documentaries. People just didn't 'get' the Cat dancing scene in series 8.

Also the best Jeremy Kyle is still probably http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0sVEJxVQ5Y
Because it's insane.

It's not so much the cast, they always come across as far more likable than most other TV actors. It's Doug Naylor who seemed determined to turn quite a neat and, at times, clever show into a constant string of sex and fart jokes. (read: Kritie TV)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Giedroyc posted:

Sky living is doing a new documentary series about the lives of transsexual prostitutes in the far east

"Watch this if...
You enjoy real-life documentaries
You're intrigued by the idea of a beauty pageant with a twist
You appreciate the chance to see life from someone else's perspective"

So of course they've had to call it 'Ladyboys' haven't they.

They're pushing the very limits of "coming soon" with that though, http://skyliving.sky.com/top-shows/ladyboys-coming-soon

"Ladyboys
Sky Living HD: Fri 23 Sept, 9pm"

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Quanta posted:

I'd prefer the BBC not to keep recycling the Top Gear presenters and have someone more suitable for a nature programme, but whatever, at least Mark Thompson is leaving soon.

Danny Dyer should present all factual shows.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Leyburn posted:

Danny Dyer and Mark Kermode should co-present all factual shows.

Fixed that for you

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Are they seriously reviving Yes, Prime Minister? Seriously? This is going to be the worst thing since they revived Red Dwarf.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

DemonNick posted:

Are they seriously reviving Yes, Prime Minister? Seriously? This is going to be the worst thing since they revived Red Dwarf.

I'm inclined to agree, but I suppose we've got no idea how much they will update or change the format. 2012 and The Thick of It have shown that there is a public appetite for political(ish) satire, so I suppose it's a logical time to do it.

I can't imagine a way in which it could ever be better than The Thick of It, though, seeing sa TToI is pretty much the best comedy ever, let alone satire.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It seems that "Peep Show" has gained a following in U.S college campuses, and my younger brother introduced me to the show pretty recently. It's the funniest and sharpest comedy series I've seen in a long while, and its style is pretty innovative and really heightens the potency of the cringe humor.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Opus125 posted:

It seems that "Peep Show" has gained a following in U.S college campuses, and my younger brother introduced me to the show pretty recently. It's the funniest and sharpest comedy series I've seen in a long while, and its style is pretty innovative and really heightens the potency of the cringe humor.

I think it's a testament to the genius of the style that you almost forget it's there after a while.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HoldYourFire posted:

I think it's a testament to the genius of the style that you almost forget it's there after a while.

Only until there's a first person make out scene with Mark. eeuuuuugh it's terrible but so amazing at the same time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Peepshow introduced the term sofa masturbators into our vocabularies.

If the next series is the last, I'm curious to see if it finishes with them both either settling down properly into adult hood or doomed forever pair of squabbling insecure flat mates that ends it in a suicide pact.

gently caress that suddenly got very dark.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Quanta posted:

I can't seem to find anything on the subject for Hammond, though, so I suppose that's a good thing.
Well, as Stewart Lee points out, that'll be because Richard "The Hamster" Hammond doesn't have any opinions of his own, he just stands around gawping and laughing like an idiot at the things that Clarkson says.

And he's not even a real hamster.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

SeanBeansShako posted:

that ends it in a suicide pact.

On the Croydon Tramlink.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

GazChap posted:

And he's not even a real hamster.

He is a proper Richard though.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Peepshow introduced the term sofa masturbators into our vocabularies.

If the next series is the last, I'm curious to see if it finishes with them both either settling down properly into adult hood or doomed forever pair of squabbling insecure flat mates that ends it in a suicide pact.

gently caress that suddenly got very dark.

I always pictured it ending with them both naked, crying, and brawling in the street.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I thought having Peep Show end with Mark topping himself would seem like a strangely appropriate way to end it. It seems way too dark though, and you'd have to make it funny, which doesn't even seem possible.

Jeremy on the other hand could just kill himself out of his own stupidity.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I thought having Peep Show end with Mark topping himself would seem like a strangely appropriate way to end it. It seems way too dark though, and you'd have to make it funny, which doesn't even seem possible.

Jeremy on the other hand could just kill himself out of his own stupidity.

If it ended horribly dark, I could see Jeremy going the same way a MP did.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it ended horribly dark, I could see Jeremy going the same way a MP did.

Auto-erotic asphyxiation while wearing lingerie and an orange shoved up his arse?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The finale will be a crossover with That Mitchell and Webb Look, life becomes so grim they lose their minds and become Sir Digby Chicken Caesar and his sidekick Ginger.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Flatscan posted:

Auto-erotic asphyxiation while wearing lingerie and an orange shoved up his arse?

If you do do that, don't do it in here. The hook's almost off the wall as it is.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2qbJg5RPA

First Bob Monkhouse came back in CGI to stop cancer, now middle aged fake Eric Morecambe is at it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Giedroyc posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-2qbJg5RPA

First Bob Monkhouse came back in CGI to stop cancer, now middle aged fake Eric Morecambe is at it.
I remember that Bob Monkhouse advert, I thought it was filmed before he died. Was it CGI from old footage? What about the voiceover, was it an impressionist? I'd be disappointed if it was, I always filming that advert was an incredibly noble thing to do.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Hoops posted:

I remember that Bob Monkhouse advert, I thought it was filmed before he died. Was it CGI from old footage? What about the voiceover, was it an impressionist? I'd be disappointed if it was, I always filming that advert was an incredibly noble thing to do.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/06/12/uk-advertising-monkhouse-idUKL125811520070612

CGI old footage face/body double and impressionist. I seem to remember it costing £40,000-60,000 for the CGI too.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm inclined to agree, but I suppose we've got no idea how much they will update or change the format. 2012 and The Thick of It have shown that there is a public appetite for political(ish) satire, so I suppose it's a logical time to do it.

I can't imagine a way in which it could ever be better than The Thick of It, though, seeing sa TToI is pretty much the best comedy ever, let alone satire.

The Thick of it is basically an extension of Yes Minister in a lot of ways, right down to the super vague purview of the ministry and the emphasis on Civil Servants and Policy Wonks. It also comes from an old labour sort of perspective while Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were kind of Tories making fun of Tories.

At best, we're looking at a Upstairs Downstairs vs. Downton Abbey scenario where the revival of the older show is inferior to its contemporary analogue and looks the worse for it.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

DemonNick posted:

At best, we're looking at a Upstairs Downstairs vs. Downton Abbey scenario where the revival of the older show is inferior to its contemporary analogue and looks the worse for it.

Wait... are you suggesting that something is WORSE than downton abbey?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

DemonNick posted:

The Thick of it is basically an extension of Yes Minister in a lot of ways, right down to the super vague purview of the ministry and the emphasis on Civil Servants and Policy Wonks. It also comes from an old labour sort of perspective while Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister were kind of Tories making fun of Tories.

Surely The Thick Of It is pure New Labour with everything boiling down to PR & spin.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

dos4gw posted:

Wait... are you suggesting that something is WORSE than downton abbey?
You've seen the Upstairs Downstairs revival, right? It went straight to Hitler in the second episode.

Leyburn posted:

Surely The Thick Of It is pure New Labour with everything boiling down to PR & spin.

It seems like an old labour take on new labour. It's about Blair and Brown (and the next series is likely to be about the coalition) but in terms of perspective? It's not a Tory or Lib Dem piece and that was especially apparent when Mannion was introduced.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 4, 2012

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Flatscan posted:

mouth not arse
that'd be weird

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DemonNick posted:

You've seen the Upstairs Downstairs revival, right? It went straight to Hitler in the second episode.

I can't stop watching Upstairs Downstairs because of how hilariously and ridiculously right-on it is. Hallam Holland, the heroic diplomat who alone in the Foreign Office fights the tide of appeasement, and makes frequent pronouncements about current affairs that by lucky hap are perfect for dropping into trailers! Blanche McRiversong, misunderstood lesbian and hero of the Kindertransport! Mr Amanjeet, noble and Sikh and...noble...and Sikh...!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cerv posted:

mouth not arse
that'd be weird

and don't forget the amyl nitrate.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cerv posted:

mouth not arse
that'd be weird

Yeah, you're right. I was getting confused with the Garth Ennis version where he gets eaten by a tiger instead of hanging himself.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Flatscan posted:

Yeah, you're right. I was getting confused with the Garth Ennis version where he gets eaten by a tiger instead of hanging himself.

Fury owned shut up

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

DemonNick posted:

ah so they went for the old reductio ad hitlerum fallacy. this is troubling..... i will have too muse on this

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
Just popping in to say that NBC drama Awake is launching on Atlantic tonight at 10pm. This is the first show I've ever stuck my neck on the line to get on any channel I've ever worked on, so I'll be bummed when it tanks here like it did in the States. But it's really good.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I don't want to watch a good show that gets cancelled, I'd rather pretend it never happened.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

DougieFFC posted:

Just popping in to say that NBC drama Awake is launching on Atlantic tonight at 10pm. This is the first show I've ever stuck my neck on the line to get on any channel I've ever worked on, so I'll be bummed when it tanks here like it did in the States. But it's really good.
I'd never heard of this so I looked it up, and now I'm going to make the effort to fire up Sky on the 360 tonight to watch it, which I've never done before! My wife and I have actually been working on a story along eerily similar lines (we write vidya games) recently so it's definitely up our alley. Thanks for posting about it!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sounds interesting. If I get involved no doubt I'll be cussing the idiot network that canceled it like with Deadwood and Jericho.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've only watched 15 minutes of it but it's more like Life than either of those, which I wish hadn't been canned.

Interested to see what the inevitable twist is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DemonNick posted:

It seems like an old labour take on new labour. It's about Blair and Brown (and the next series is likely to be about the coalition) but in terms of perspective? It's not a Tory or Lib Dem piece and that was especially apparent when Mannion was introduced.

First series it was all New Labour taking the piss out of New Labour. There was no opposition shown, only themselves cocking it up with spin and spinning themselves out of it.

Second series (the specials mainly) was New Labour vs Old Tories. Mannion was the stereotype 'old' Tory politician. Set in his ways, posh, doesn't understand new stuff, pines for the old days etc.

Third series was post Blair New Labour vs modernizing Tory Party.

I cant wait for the fourth series. I really really hope that Mannion and Nicola Whatshername are working together in the same department, and Tucker and 'The Fucker' clash every 5 minutes.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I kind of hope they write out The Fucker, I don't think he worked very well at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Tempo 119 posted:

I kind of hope they write out The Fucker, I don't think he worked very well at all.
Agreed, too over the top. That one scene was passable but having him as a continued prescence would throw off the tone of The Thick of It by a mile. By the end it was already become slightly too much The Malcolm Tucker Show, and too many scenes with The Fucker would just end up being ridiculous. Malcolm's motivation is angry frustration, to have another character that runs purely on being a blindly mean non-stop oval office pushed it into cartoon land.

He would have actually worked better as being an unseen character come to think of it.