Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Bloodlines animation is good because its art style is not all that realistic. It seems to be but the faces and hands are in very large proportion to the body, it's just not so over the top. This allows them to do very exaggerated animations that are more expressive than something that could be done in say Deus Ex: HR.
Compared to a lot of other RPGs, the fact that people actually do things other than "stand there and talk at the camera" helps a lot, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Dark One posted:

You might be thinking of Sega and Obsidian, with Alpha Protocol. The developers had handed in the code and moved on to other projects, and Sega just sat on the game for months before releasing it.

Troika worked on Bloodlines right up to (and a bit past) the point where everyone got laid off. They worked on the first patch in that gap between going gold and the retail release, and a few people stuck around to help get the second patch out, even after they'd lost their jobs.
No, he has it right. I interviewed Tim Cain, cofounder of Troika Games, about the rise and fall of the company in my book (latest review, more reviews). Tim said that Activision froze development of Vampire while they were waiting for Valve's embargo to expire. Vampire shipped in November 2004, the office was closed in February 2005, and the company was eventually shut down in September 2005. Between January and February 2005, the office was open only so that the remaining employees could find other employment. Between February and September 2005, Troika operated from Tim's home so that employees could file for COBRA insurance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A shame really, it could have done with those 6 months to actually make the ending both make sense and to freaking have it so that you didn't have to be a combat powerhouse come the end.

What is COBRA insurance? And is all insurance in the USA named after 80's villainous organisations?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

What is COBRA insurance? And is all insurance in the USA named after 80's villainous organisations?

I can't recall what the acronym stands for, but COBRA is a thing where, if you lose your job, you can keep your employer-provided health insurance for something like two years afterwards (though you have to pay the full premiums yourself). Since getting insurance when you're (a) not getting it through a job and (b) have had a gap in coverage can be really difficult, this is a necessary thing. I'm guessing from context that it doesn't apply if the company you used to work for no longer exists, though.

Most 80's villainous organizations aren't really evil enough for insurance companies to be named after them.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have the clan mod installed and I'm having this weird problem in the Chinatown hub; every so often as I make my rounds I get frozen in place for a few seconds and a pink mist overcomes me. I also seem to be losing blood at a rapid pace and looking at my character it seems as if I have some skill being used automatically at regular intervals. It's not game breaking but it's pretty annoying and it only happens in the Chinatown hub. I'm also playing as Malk if that has any relevance. Any ideas what's going on here?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I have the clan mod installed and I'm having this weird problem in the Chinatown hub; every so often as I make my rounds I get frozen in place for a few seconds and a pink mist overcomes me. I also seem to be losing blood at a rapid pace and looking at my character it seems as if I have some skill being used automatically at regular intervals. It's not game breaking but it's pretty annoying and it only happens in the Chinatown hub. I'm also playing as Malk if that has any relevance. Any ideas what's going on here?

That happened to me, once, using my Ventrue with the CQM. I don't remember where, but it was probably in either Hollywood or Chinatown. It passed, eventually.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All my save files just disappeared for fucks sake. I'm not starting again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is there a glitch with the More Fun With Pestilence mission? The bum that you're supposed to talk to to set the whole thing off won't spawn for me, and I really want my swank-rear end chantry pad :(

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, there's 2 bums you've got to talk to. There's the old lady one and then tin can bill. The old lady one is near the fire at the end of the road the last round is on.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dixie Flatline posted:

Well, there's 2 bums you've got to talk to. There's the old lady one and then tin can bill. The old lady one is near the fire at the end of the road the last round is on.

Turns out the walkthrough I was using to resolve mystery events like this had terrible directions, I was literally one alley away from finding Tin Can Bill but stopped just short of turning the corner. loving Gamefaqs.

PS: Thaumaturgy loving owns. I've got four points in it now; between Blood Purge, Blood Salvo and a good ol' shotgun, the final Ninth Circle fight was incredible.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 1, 2012

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
Okay, so after hearing nothing but positive things about this game, I went ahead and bought it on steam. I d/led the clanquest 3.0 mod, extracted it to the specified folder, and installed it with camarilla and arsenal. I vaguely remember reading that if it installs correctly, it will say something to that effect in the opening menu. If the opening menu is just normal, with no mention of mods, does that mean it didn't take?

Also this game rules so far. I'm glad I found this thread.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm using Wesp's mod only and I can't find Fat Larry anywhere, did it just glitch him out of the game entirely or something? I've been noclipping all over downtown LA and that dude just won't show.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Playing this again it feels like I'm missing something hugely obvious with the museum quest and doing it nonlethally as any clan without obfuscate. Getting around the cameras and guards is just a complete pain in the rear end without running around having them shoot at me the entire time, and with these mods added in even the security guards are doing a fair job at blowing me to pieces. Right now playing a Ventrue and got by it by chain-trancing the guards, but is there something I'm missing here that gets that first guard at the basement level out of the office so you can hack the camera controls?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Agreeable Badger posted:

Okay, so after hearing nothing but positive things about this game, I went ahead and bought it on steam. I d/led the clanquest 3.0 mod, extracted it to the specified folder, and installed it with camarilla and arsenal. I vaguely remember reading that if it installs correctly, it will say something to that effect in the opening menu. If the opening menu is just normal, with no mention of mods, does that mean it didn't take?

You shouldn't be playing with all those mods the first time through. Just install the fan patch and choose the bugfix install.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One thing I didn't work out until the last time I played is that you can actually shoot out the cameras, which helps, a bit. It's still a pain in the rear end, though, probably my least favorite section of the game that doesn't take place in a sewer system.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Agreeable Badger posted:

I had the problem, too. I believe the instructions say to install it into the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines folder in Program Files, but it wouldn't work for me. When I did so in the folder Program Files 86x, it worked.

Though it's a good thing it didn't work for you, this time around, since you really should play a vanilla run, you're first time around.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

McSpanky posted:

I'm using Wesp's mod only and I can't find Fat Larry anywhere, did it just glitch him out of the game entirely or something? I've been noclipping all over downtown LA and that dude just won't show.

Wesp's mod does move him to a less conspicuous location. Face where Larry used to be, with Lacroix towers to your left, and the parking garage to your right. Now turn around, walk until the street turns 90 degrees to the left, and look to the right. He should be in that alley right there.

If you don't see him then you might have to reinstall the mod.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 2, 2012

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

If you have trouble following directions, just face Confessions from in front of the gate, then turn right, where you should be facing an alleyway with good ol' Fat Larry there. In my experience, you'll be alerted to the alleyway by a street brawl occuring.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You shouldn't be playing with all those mods the first time through. Just install the fan patch and choose the bugfix install.

This is stupid. The additional content improves the game, as does the rebalancing. There is no reason whatsoever to have an inferior experience by not installing it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wesp's mod does move him to a less conspicuous location. Face where Larry used to be, with Lacroix towers to your left, and the parking garage to your right. Now turn around, walk until the street turns 90 degrees to the left, and look to the right. He should be in that alley right there.

If you don't see him then you might have to reinstall the mod.

Followed the directions just fine (alley to the right/east of the Confessions club, behind the thugs that had a fight), reinstalled, still nothing. I think the Sabbat got to him :(

Aside from that, the game continues to own. Somehow I've ended up with over $2000 despite not going particularly out of my way to extort anyone for cash, and thaumaturgy continues to be a hilarious win button in fights. I'm about halfway through the game and I already can't wait to replay it with other clans to see how the dialogue/combat options vary.

Makepeace
Mar 28, 2012
I bought this game based on what I have read throughout this forum and so far have really not been disappointed! I installed the CQM because from what i can work out it just adds new quests in so I am not losing any content, and other than that I only installed the bugfix, although I fully intend to play a second run with arsenal etc.

I have just ran through Ocean House hotel for the first time and can safely say it is one of my favourite parts of a video game ever, it felt like being in a horror movie more than any survival horror game I have ever played and quite literally made me jump at a few points! I think the only way it should be played is late at night in a dark room with headphones for the full experience especially with all the creepy music and whispers :drac:

If Ocean House is anything to base the rest of the game on im sure I am going to love it as a whole because I have not been made to feel that immersed by a game in a long time!

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008

KamiTsurugi posted:

I had the problem, too. I believe the instructions say to install it into the Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines folder in Program Files, but it wouldn't work for me. When I did so in the folder Program Files 86x, it worked.

Though it's a good thing it didn't work for you, this time around, since you really should play a vanilla run, you're first time around.

I actually did install it into the program files 86x one. Oh well, I'll figure it out after this playthrough I guess.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Agreeable Badger posted:

I actually did install it into the program files 86x one. Oh well, I'll figure it out after this playthrough I guess.

Have you tried both? I just assumed that it was 86x that did it, because the normal install, which defaulted into program files, didn't do anything. So, as an experiment, I copy/pasted what was already installed into the 86x one and it worked.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Fat Larry is down an alley by the church bar; look for his van.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Badger, it's been awhile but I believe my installer kept installing things to a subfolder of the VtM directory instead of the main folder, so check that.

Or just install the mod and search your computer for a file you see get installed and see where it went.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Fat Larry is down an alley by the church bar; look for his van.

Right, I found where he should be, he just isn't there. When I bring up the console it says something about not finding the character file at line 401 or something when I walk by, I think something's screwy with the latest version of Wesp's mod.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I thought Wesp moved him to the truck next to the parking garage where he has you steal the briefcase. The one next to the Prince's tower.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I'm sorry, I couldn't read the whole thread, so this may be an old question.

Has anyone run this on a Mac with Wine? I never played this, and I'd love to get this on Steam and just use Wine, but I haven't read any confirmed reports of it running that way. There was a small thread on Portingteam, but it seemed inconclusive so I'm still not sure the deal.

If there are any resources or a Wine wrapper already floating around, please let me know. I'd love to finally get to play through this

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DemonNick posted:

I thought Wesp moved him to the truck next to the parking garage where he has you steal the briefcase. The one next to the Prince's tower.

No, that's where he is in the default game. Right out in the open on a main street. I think they probably did it that way because people got confused on where to go for the briefcase quest, so they wanted to idiotproof it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is stupid. The additional content improves the game, as does the rebalancing. There is no reason whatsoever to have an inferior experience by not installing it.

Yeah, the argument about the game as it launched being the original artistic vision of the game, and any tweaks diluting it? Bullshit - the moment you consider that large, major features (like the trait system) were cut out at the last second as they just didn't have time to bugfix and test them properly suggests that there was more wrong with the game than just initial crash problems and broken scripting.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fuzz posted:

No, that's where he is in the default game. Right out in the open on a main street. I think they probably did it that way because people got confused on where to go for the briefcase quest, so they wanted to idiotproof it.
Really? I could swear it was the other way around, and he's there right now in my game with Wesp's patch installed.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, the argument about the game as it launched being the original artistic vision of the game, and any tweaks diluting it? Bullshit - the moment you consider that large, major features (like the trait system) were cut out at the last second as they just didn't have time to bugfix and test them properly suggests that there was more wrong with the game than just initial crash problems and broken scripting.

Does anyone know of a good post mortem about this game? Because I played through it recently and to me most of the game's flaws seem to come from the fact that the vision for the game appears to have been a little over ambitious.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Something I've never encountered before; in Chinatown, like every 5-7 seconds my character comes to a dead stop when a haze of pink mist clouds around me. This lasts for a second or two, no damage or any other ill effect (Other than coming to a standstill), and I have no idea what is causing it. Using the Clan Quest and Camarilla mods mainly.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DemonNick posted:

Really? I could swear it was the other way around, and he's there right now in my game with Wesp's patch installed.

When I first played I played with 1.2 vanilla, and he was where I said, by the garage. I always wondered why he wasn't in the alley when it's the more logical and obvious place for him to be.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

DemonNick posted:

Did you install the basic version of the 8.0 patch? If so Wesp removed a ton of stuff from it and reverted even more back to how it was originally when the game shipped due to a bunch of people bitching about how he calls his 'mod' a patch.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Started my third playthrough. Digging that blood magic. In other news:

Get back in the car, dude, you're violating the masquerade.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

Did you install the basic version of the 8.0 patch? If so Wesp removed a ton of stuff from it and reverted even more back to how it was originally when the game shipped due to a bunch of people bitching about how he calls his 'mod' a patch.

Actually it's an older version of the Patch, conceivably it might be from before he moved Fat Larry, or something.

He just needs to let go though. Earlier versions of Plus were pretty much perfect. I think the limit was passed when he started playing with quest states. That's when he really ran out of things to legitimately improve or tweak.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

a 16 year old girl posted:

Does anyone know of a good post mortem about this game? Because I played through it recently and to me most of the game's flaws seem to come from the fact that the vision for the game appears to have been a little over ambitious.
I already mentioned my book in this thread. My interview with Tim Cain isn't an exhaustive postmortem of the game; it's more of a postmortem of Troika, but he does talk about several problems that they couldn't fix because Activision froze the project. To say that the vision was "a little over ambitious" is actually really unfair given the circumstances.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

DemonNick posted:

Actually it's an older version of the Patch, conceivably it might be from before he moved Fat Larry, or something.

He just needs to let go though. Earlier versions of Plus were pretty much perfect. I think the limit was passed when he started playing with quest states. That's when he really ran out of things to legitimately improve or tweak.

The next version of the patch is most likely going to include a cut level, the Los Angeles Public Library, and an entirely new quest to go along with it. Personally I don't mind him adding more poo poo to the Plus version of the patch, and it's good he's cutting more and more changes he's made out of the Basic version so there's something for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Upmarket Mango posted:

The next version of the patch is most likely going to include a cut level, the Los Angeles Public Library, and an entirely new quest to go along with it. Personally I don't mind him adding more poo poo to the Plus version of the patch, and it's good he's cutting more and more changes he's made out of the Basic version so there's something for everyone.

Son of a bitch, I was wondering what that library card was for! And here I was hoping I'd at least be able to uncover a secret cache of vampire lore in the basement or something.

• Locked thread