Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

for those of you familiar with Duck Rabbit, is Rabid Duck supposed to taste like a mouthful of bitter, astringent char?

No, it shouldn't! It's not a great RIS, but it's a pretty good one. At least all the bottles I've had. I have 4 in the fridge right now, and another 6-pack in my closet. DR usually makes really good beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I Dont Like You posted:

Hoptimum is also relatively newer, word will spread eventually.

Also, since it was mentioned, boy am I glad Milwaukee seemed to be flooded with Hopslam this season. Always was weird to me that people in Bell's markets had trouble getting anyway, whereas it seemed to be everywhere up until a few weeks ago.

I can't find it for poo poo my side of the lake. I saw it ONCE earlier this year, while looking for something interesting to try. The guy standing next to me in the aisle snatched up one, turns before leaving and goes "You better get that. It's awesome and super rare." And I, being a perennial dumbass, went to myself "Pssssh, whatever. Hopslam sounds like it would be gross and how rare can it be?" and picked up a sixer of Left Hand Polestar instead. Haven't seen it again since.

Now that I want to try it, I can't find it anywhere. I should probably snatch up some of Hoptimum before it's Fall and I can't find it either. I have this major mental block, where I see "Hop" worked into the name, or some coy reference to the weedlike characteristics of hops, and I immediately write it off as something really bad. Yet, I see something named "Tiger Jelly" on tap and just have to try it... like that isn't a stupid name that should warn you off if you actually look to the name to describe the beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mysterious frankie posted:

I can't find it for poo poo my side of the lake. I saw it ONCE earlier this year, while looking for something interesting to try. The guy standing next to me in the aisle snatched up one, turns before leaving and goes "You better get that. It's awesome and super rare." And I, being a perennial dumbass, went to myself "Pssssh, whatever. Hopslam sounds like it would be gross and how rare can it be?" and picked up a sixer of Left Hand Polestar instead. Haven't seen it again since.

Now that I want to try it, I can't find it anywhere. I should probably snatch up some of Hoptimum before it's Fall and I can't find it either. I have this major mental block, where I see "Hop" worked into the name, or some coy reference to the weedlike characteristics of hops, and I immediately write it off as something really bad. Yet, I see something named "Tiger Jelly" on tap and just have to try it... like that isn't a stupid name that should warn you off if you actually look to the name to describe the beer.

Tiger Jelly was pretty good!

As previously mentioned, the initial release of Hopslam this year went quick. The 2nd batch was easier to find. I managed to get sixers of both because I personally believe it's one of those few hype-worthy beers.

Nothing beats 2011, though, when Bell's released it in minikegs. For a friend's birthday, we snagged one. Needless to say, despite about 5 people at the party drinking it exclusively, we couldn't finish it. Too. Drunk.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Theres not much in the way of breweries in Detroit, but there are some good brewpubs and some excellent restaurants with good tap lists. I've never been but Foran's Grand Trunk is right downtown and I always hear good things about it. Slow's is a BBQ place with very good beer. I highly recommend them but if you are in a time crunch don't bother, any time of day you are looking at a 45min+ wait, though sometimes if its just me and a friend we get lucky with scoring a seat at the bar. Either way, it's worth it.

Do not miss Jolly Pumpkin.

Thanks! I have some time, so I'll have to see whats in the cards (mostly based on where the hotel ends up being...)

Jolly Pumpkin, Check. Seems close enough to 94 that it shouldn't be a problem! Yay, now I'm much more excited to drive by myself to Detroit hehe

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

bartolimu posted:

One of my buddies found a lead crystal Schlitz goblet at Goodwill for fifty cents. There is nothing classier for drinking stuff like Cantillon, Dark Lord, etc. than a Schlitz goblet, though I'll concede a Duvel snifter comes close.

That's awesome. I'm not opposed to buying glasses elsewhere but it's amazing what turns up in thrift stores for only a buck or two. That's how I got my Franziskaner weizen glass too.

Thanks to everyone for the quad suggestions. I have no goddamn clue how I forgot about Three Philosophers as I've had that before and enjoyed it immensely.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Retemnav posted:

No, it shouldn't! It's not a great RIS, but it's a pretty good one. At least all the bottles I've had. I have 4 in the fridge right now, and another 6-pack in my closet. DR usually makes really good beer.

i'm familiar with the porter, baltic porter, milk stout, schwarz, wee heavy, and barleywine and found them all solid to excellent, so i was pretty surprised at how awful this was. had a cap/seal go bad on one of theirs a while back, so maybe something happened to my bottle? there was a touch of bitter chocolate, but my whole mouth felt dried out after a few swallows and i couldn't finish even half the glass. astringent as a motherfucker.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Kudosx posted:

I think it's mostly when the first batch ships. They seem to make a complete rear end-ton of Hopslam, so anything after the first shipment is usually pretty easy to get a hold of. A big problem with the first batch is that they make so much, that most stores don't have a limit on how much anyone can buy... so a store might get in 20 cases, but 15 people will come in and buy a case each... leaving only (20) 6 packs for us folks who don't buy cases.

I guess Milwaukee either doesn't care about Hopslam, or we just got one continuous never-ending batch, or something, because any store that got it had it consistently from when it first started to show up (early Feb I think...) until a few weeks ago. Already miss it, ha. Oh well.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

i'm familiar with the porter, baltic porter, milk stout, schwarz, wee heavy, and barleywine and found them all solid to excellent, so i was pretty surprised at how awful this was. had a cap/seal go bad on one of theirs a while back, so maybe something happened to my bottle? there was a touch of bitter chocolate, but my whole mouth felt dried out after a few swallows and i couldn't finish even half the glass. astringent as a motherfucker.

I'd guess something went bad with the bottle. It's been a month or so since I drank one, but I don't remember any astringency at all, it was just a bit heavier on the dark fruit side than I normally like. Liked it enough to pick up a six pack to age, though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

danbanana posted:

Nothing beats 2011, though, when Bell's released it in minikegs. For a friend's birthday, we snagged one. Needless to say, despite about 5 people at the party drinking it exclusively, we couldn't finish it. Too. Drunk.

Oh god, the minikegs. When those came out I was just getting into IPAs and the guy at my bottle shop offered me one for ~$35. I passed on it because I had no idea Hopslam was a big deal :bang:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Tiger Jelly was pretty good!

As previously mentioned, the initial release of Hopslam this year went quick. The 2nd batch was easier to find. I managed to get sixers of both because I personally believe it's one of those few hype-worthy beers.

I had the opposite 'problem'. Got one and popped it at an apartment-warming party. Had about the same number of drinkers and we got through that sucker in no time. Maybe we are just alcoholics. :v:

I also laugh whenever I see someone call Hopslam rare. Maybe its just because I live in Michigan but we still have it on the shelves and probably still will for weeks/months to come.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I really wouldn't be surprised if this one corner store near me still has 6packs in their cooler. Kinda hope so...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

I had the opposite 'problem'. Got one and popped it at an apartment-warming party. Had about the same number of drinkers and we got through that sucker in no time. Maybe we are just alcoholics. :v:

I also laugh whenever I see someone call Hopslam rare. Maybe its just because I live in Michigan but we still have it on the shelves and probably still will for weeks/months to come.

Well, 2 of the 5 were women. And we all know how THEY drink...

And, yes, that's because you live in Michigan.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

You got a problem with us women beer drinkers? :colbert:

my ratio was the same

Hopslam still isn't rare. CBS? Rare. Hopslam? Some places are under-allocated. Doesn't make it rare.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kudosx posted:

Both Trappist Rochefort 10, and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 come in bottles smaller than 12 oz (I don't remember exactly how big they are, I wanna say 10.8 oz or something). They're both very highly rated quads, and I think they're worth checking out! I tried Rochefort 10 recently and it was absolutely phenomenal.

Euro six packs are 33cl (330ml) which is 11.3 fl oz.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sirotan posted:

my ratio was the same

Hopslam still isn't rare. CBS? Rare. Hopslam? Some places are under-allocated. Doesn't make it rare.

Makes it rare... to me.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

You're probably joking, but stuff like that makes it really hard for people like my wife to feel like a part of the beer nerd in group, even though she is a bigger beer nerd than lots of people.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

my ratio was the same

Was kidding about the women drinker joke, of course.

Though I disagree about what is "rare": it's entirely subjective based on distribution. The much-mentioned Pliny isn't "rare," but I'll be damned if I can get my hands on a bottle without jumping through hoops because it's not sold anywhere near me. So me having a bottle? That's rare...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Was kidding about the women drinker joke, of course.

Though I disagree about what is "rare": it's entirely subjective based on distribution. The much-mentioned Pliny isn't "rare," but I'll be damned if I can get my hands on a bottle without jumping through hoops because it's not sold anywhere near me. So me having a bottle? That's rare...

That's good since misogyny in previous beer threads has resulted in probations!

If you're looking for Pliny, I bought some for a friend recently from this site: http://blackwellswines.com/ Their website isn't the greatest so give them a call. Shipping rates were reasonable and they had two day old Pliny when I called, $5/btl. No hoops!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

If you're looking for Pliny, I bought some for a friend recently from this site: http://blackwellswines.com/ Their website isn't the greatest so give them a call. Shipping rates were reasonable and they had two day old Pliny when I called, $5/btl. No hoops!

Another Illinois-goon can correct me, but I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of these sites won't ship to Illinois due to distribution laws.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Send some of those hundreds of unclaimed cases to Colorado :colbert:

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Speaking of CBS... does anyone know if Founder's will ever brew it again?

I feel like I read somewhere that they won't, but I'm not positive. It would be a bummer if they didn't brew it again, I would love to try it. I still haven't tried KBS, but I know I'll eventually get the chance... but the thought of never getting to try CBS is kind of saddening to me.

Similarly, I read that GI probably won't brew King Henry again anytime soon (I believe it was aged in Pappy barrels, after all)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^They brew it every year I believe, I just don't think they will be bottling it again.

danbanana posted:

Another Illinois-goon can correct me, but I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of these sites won't ship to Illinois due to distribution laws.

Just to be obnoxious, I called them. You are in luck, they ship to your state!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Just to be obnoxious, I called them. You are in luck, they ship to your state!

Best use of obnoxiousness ever. Thanks! Though I still wonder about the legality of that system. Would they have to be a registered distributor in the state or something? Illinois, with their shady business practices and all, seems to have a very tightly controlled distro system.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

Best use of obnoxiousness ever. Thanks! Though I still wonder about the legality of that system. Would they have to be a registered distributor in the state or something? Illinois, with their shady business practices and all, seems to have a very tightly controlled distro system.

Well they aren't distributing beer though. Distributing beer would mean it's being shipped somewhere for resale. They are selling it directly to you. I'm sure they have licenses up the wazoo to be able to ship alcohol though.

Edit: I'm trying to find anything regarding direct-shipping of alcohol from out-of-state retailers to Illinois, and am just getting legislation relating to wine sales. So I'm going to say you should just look the other way in regards to legality and enjoy delicious beers.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 3, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sirotan posted:

Well they aren't distributing beer though. Distributing beer would mean it's being shipped somewhere for resale. They are selling it directly to you. I'm sure they have licenses up the wazoo to be able to ship alcohol though.

Edit: I'm trying to find anything regarding direct-shipping of alcohol from out-of-state retailers to Illinois, and am just getting legislation relating to wine sales. So I'm going to say you should just look the other way in regards to legality and enjoy delicious beers.
I always knew my background in Constitutional Law would come in handy in the beer thread. Is is time for the Goon Beer thread to take an in-depth look at Granholm v. Heald? :v:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

I always knew my background in Constitutional Law would come in handy in the beer thread. Is is time for the Goon Beer thread to take an in-depth look at Granholm v. Heald? :v:

YES.

Anything that by-passes the distribution groups in Illinois seems less-than-legal to me, if only because of how politically-connected they are (and how politically corrupt the state is...). Example: Bell's fight against them a few years ago. It just seems odd that it would be okay for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct...

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

danbanana posted:

YES.

Anything that by-passes the distribution groups in Illinois seems less-than-legal to me, if only because of how politically-connected they are (and how politically corrupt the state is...). Example: Bell's fight against them a few years ago. It just seems odd that it would be okay for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct...

Bell's isn't in NJ because Larry Bell hates NJ, right? Or am I thinking of another brewery?

Two Hearted is so god damned good, and so are Kalamazoo and Expedition stouts.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Bell's isn't in NJ because Larry Bell hates NJ, right? Or am I thinking of another brewery?

Two Hearted is so god damned good, and so are Kalamazoo and Expedition stouts.

I never heard that about NJ. But when he was fightin' the system in IL, he apparently had a place on the Gold Coast of Chicago. As in: he couldn't buy his own beer where he lived. That's some cred right there...

Double Cream is great. The Cherry Stout is fantastic as a dessert beer. Consecrator? Great. And I had Black Note once...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Please do!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
so, i took a bottle of Rabid Rabbit to my friend who works at a wine and beer shop up the street. right as we were pouring, the rep who handles Duck Rabbit in the area walked in the door! turns out i am not crazy- i think his exact words were "this is not how it's supposed to taste"- and he is sending the remaining four back to the warehouse for testing. if my bottles were a fluke, he's gonna get me a fresh six-pack of the same; if not, a six-pack of their barleywine (which i had and enjoyed for the first time last night ((wanted to reassure myself that they still made good beer))).

also, for the record, my girlfriend can drink me under the table without breaking a sweat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but I'm going to roll with it because it's hilarious. Get wrecked, Dirty Jerz.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

What's a good barleywine to ease into the style with? I've had a few- one on tap from GI and a couple at festivals- and they just haven't jived with me. It's a style I'd like to explore, but I think I need to find something mild/approachable to start with.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

danbanana posted:

YES.

If it is legal for an in-state retailer to sell direct, then it is legal for an out-of-state retailer to sell direct. The reason why is because the Commerce Clause has an implied restriction called the "dormant commerce clause;" what this means is that Congress has the power to regulate Commerce, but the implication behind giving Congress the power to regulate commerce is that the individual States do NOT have the power to regulate interstate commerce; at least not in a "discriminatory" way. The most obvious example of this type of law would are simple protectionism laws: if California passed a law that imposed a low tax rate on California-produced widgets, and a higher tax rate on widgets produced from other states, it would violate the DCC and be automatically rendered invalid. In Granholm, the issue was direct shipments from wineries to consumers; Michigan had a law that in-state wineries could do so, but that out-of-state wineries could not. It's somewhat complicated why this actually applies to retailers shipping to consumers, but it does.

This would then seem to be relatively straightforward; however, it is not because the language in the 21st Amendment gives states very broad powers to regulate alcohol. This is what Michigan tried to argue in the Supreme Court in Granholm. They lost because the Court held that the 21st Amendment doesn't give states the power to violate the Dormant Commerce Clause absent some kind of specific authorization from Congress to do so (and of course, lobbyists for the Middlemen of America, i.e. the Distributors who literally do nothing other than get paid millions to be middlemen, immediately got some Congressmen to propose a bill to allow out of state discrimination :v:)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

What's a good barleywine to ease into the style with? I've had a few- one on tap from GI and a couple at festivals- and they just haven't jived with me. It's a style I'd like to explore, but I think I need to find something mild/approachable to start with.

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot is a great entry point.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but I'm going to roll with it because it's hilarious. Get wrecked, Dirty Jerz.

This at least seems plausible given that Larry apparently makes Bell's distributed to Arizona despite it being like 8 states away from every other state they are distributed in because he wants to drink his own beer at Spring Training games :v:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Manky posted:

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot is a great entry point.

Nice, I'll give it a go.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm a huge fan of Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but that's more of an English style barleywine than an American. Actually, are 'old ales' the same thing as English barleywines, or does old ale imply the presence of brett?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I'm a huge fan of Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, but that's more of an English style barleywine than an American. Actually, are 'old ales' the same thing as English barleywines, or does old ale imply the presence of brett?

It's one of those things like "Belgian Strong Golden Ale" vs "Belgian Trippel", where you are really splitting hairs. At least if you go by the BCJP guidelines, old ales can have brett but do not have to. As far as I can tell the style is supposed to be just a bit smaller than a barleywine, taken on average. But there is a ton of overlap if you read the descriptions side by side.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Zhukov's should be easy to get. Hell I think some places still have last year's batch floating around so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone at Dark Lord Day manage to get their hands on any Cigar City beer? Just curious what their thoughts were. Especially on Blueberry Muffin, my creation :)

You wouldn't happen to have access to any Hunahpu Snifters that were offered at the last Hunahpu Day, would you? I'd love to get my hands on a couple...

EDIT: Just found them on your website. Please disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

A whole bunch of words :v:

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out!