Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Santa is strapped posted:

Never seen this before, but it's pure gold. This crazy rear end lady is yelling (hysterically) at these "photographers who beat up on" her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=klCSyq0Ii14

edit: screencap

Maybe it's just me but I don't find someone suffering from mental illness hilarious at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Went to see The Avengers last night and got the pleasure of witnessing this advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yszp0vE_Sj8

Nobody I was with seemed to understand why this annoyed me. :saddowns:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

Went to see The Avengers last night and got the pleasure of witnessing this advert:

hahah, yes. I saw that yesterday too. Face palmed so hard I got a concussion

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Holistic Detective posted:

I've seen that.

My phone takes so long to actually take the pic after mashing the screen that if I tried this stunt, I'd be a big, flat shape on the floor before the shutter sound finally played.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What really got me is he started chimping while still in free fall.

All that setup, and you don't keep taking pictures until your chute deploys? :mad:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

What really got me is he started chimping while still in free fall.

All that setup, and you don't keep taking pictures until your chute deploys? :mad:

All I could think was that he was going to drop the phone the instant the chute deployed, holding it so loosely like that.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
edit: ^^^^ drat you ShadeofBlue

What really got to me when I first watched it is that he's just holding it, with gloves on. Now maybe I'm just a clumsy retard but I have enough problems trying to hold my phone with gloves on, especially when trying to take photos, without hurtling through the air at a hundred miles an hour. Even if it was the worlds best camera for mid-air fashion photography one slip up and that's your whole shoot blown. Use a strap moron.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Was anyone else out building or shooting with pinhole-cameras this weekend?

Foamboard and duct-tape.

I couldn't get this to work, but as you can see, it at least went from "not lightproof" to "kinda lightproof"

Pictures are scanning as we speak.

I almost feel spoiled using a real camera now.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSDpAnvmOww

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Are there any websites that track when and where upcoming workshops of note are taking place? I always find out about cool workshops after they happen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This was posted in another thread:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyway the worst problem, even with some supposedly pro-grade DSLRs, is dogshit-bad optics - a standard lens should not be loving f1.4, even the cheap Chinese Pentax knockoffs in the 70s could manage f1.2, and f0.9 or even .7 wasn't rare (also wasn't cheap, but it wasn't rare). I know f-number isn't actually indicative of the actual quality of the optics but ever since the nineties, when plastic lens barrels and mounts became acceptable, all of the lens makers seem to have just said gently caress it.

Anyone know where I can find these magical cheap f/0.9 lenses? :v:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

QPZIL posted:

This was posted in another thread:

Anyone know where I can find these magical cheap f/0.9 lenses? :v:

For that matter, I thought any apertures larger than 1.0 won't resolve a clear image?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think the thing is that no one has figured out how to make a cheap(~$150) but decent quality 30mm f/1.8 lens yet. For some reason, 50mm seems to be the sweet spot where cheap but good optics happen.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

HPL posted:

I think the thing is that no one has figured out how to make a cheap(~$150) but decent quality 30mm f/1.8 lens yet. For some reason, 50mm seems to be the sweet spot where cheap but good optics happen.

There's some math about how for a 35mm image sensor, a 50mm prime focal length design requires the least amount of lens elements and fancy (expensive) optical tricks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Obviously this means developing camera bodies with different crops on the sensor and just using the one 50mm f/1.8 lens is the best way to move forward in photography.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's some math about how for a 35mm image sensor, a 50mm prime focal length design requires the least amount of lens elements and fancy (expensive) optical tricks.

There are also economies of scale at work here. Most modern 50mm designs have been the same for decades.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mightaswell posted:

There are also economies of scale at work here. Most modern 50mm designs have been the same for decades.

The standard double-gauss/Planar type has been around for more than a century actually, it just wasn't as popular until coatings came about. Sonnars, Tessars, and Triplets had fewer air-glass interfaces and would keep better contrast, but were softer.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's not the image size, but the mount distance. If you're dealing with a 30mm lens on a 45mm mount you have to construct the lens with a focal center outside the lens, which requires extra elements, increases cost, etc. Rangefinders are a good example of cameras that work around this; without a mirror to restrict you, you can build a basic 30mm lens and place it at the optimal distance.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HookShot posted:

Obviously this means developing camera bodies with different crops on the sensor and just using the one 50mm f/1.8 lens is the best way to move forward in photography.

That's what I do with my 35/1.8. Would have liked to get a Nikon 1 and use it as a portrait lens too if not for the price.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

RangerScum posted:

For that matter, I thought any apertures larger than 1.0 won't resolve a clear image?

No, I think it's at larger than f/0.5, but I'm not sure that's correct either.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You all have ruined me. The amount of knowledge I have learned here since my first post about a month ago is more than enough to pass my college course.

Thanks

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There is nothing quite so endearing as when a friend of yours first discovers photography. It's like I'm excited about photography again, vicariously through her :3:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Martytoof posted:

There is nothing quite so endearing as when a friend of yours first discovers photography. It's like I'm excited about photography again, vicariously through her :3:

Get ready for a nonstop stream of macro shots of bricks and old person hands.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Martytoof posted:

You're just excited to see her go through the "revealing self portraits" stage, aren't you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah, she's got it under control.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Keep her away from railroad tracks.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

No, I think it's at larger than f/0.5, but I'm not sure that's correct either.
This is correct assuming focusing to infinity, a flat image plane, and an lens elements made from a material with a positive refractive index. Any lens wider than that will produce coma distortion and spherical aberration at infinity focus.

Here's the math if anyone is interested.

quote:

For a very distant object, the [Abbe] sine condition takes a different form. As was shown in Section 3.3.4, the Lagrange equation for a distant object can be written as
h' = -( n / n' ) f' tan Upr
where f' is the distance from the principal plane to the focal point measured along the paraxial ray, or f' = t1 / u'k. A similar expression can be written for the focal length of a marginal ray, namely,
F' = Y1[/sub / sin U'[sub]k
where F' is the distance measured along the marginal rat from the equivalent refracting locus to the point where the ray crosses the lens axis. Thus for a spherically corrected lens and a distant object, Abbe's sine condition reduces to F' = f'
This relation tells us that in such a lens, called by Abbe an aplanat, the equivalent refracting locus is part of a hemisphere centered about the focal point. The maximum possible aperture of an aplanat is therefore f/0.5, although this aperture is never achieved in practice. The greatest practical aperture is about f/0.65 when the emerging ray slope is about 50°.

Kingslake, Rudplf, and R. Barry Johnson. Lens Design Fundamentals. Second. Bellingham, WA: Elsevier Science, 2009. 256-7. Print.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Wow. I checked the "Other" thing in Facebook messages today and there were a bunch of messages from people inquiring about my photos. Weird because usually "Other" is just spam messages from bands and promoters. No idea how those messages made it in there. Anyways, moral of the story is to check the "Other" thing every once in a while.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ok. I know, like lots of us, I'm ruined for most day to day photography of hot chicks (or dudes, preferences vary). Take a look here:

http://cdn.brosome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Natalia-Velez-swimwear-4.jpg

Look at that butt. Should I see a great rear end, or just terrible photoshop work?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Soulex posted:

You all have ruined me. The amount of knowledge I have learned here since my first post about a month ago is more than enough to pass my college course.

Thanks

I'd like you all to welcome Dorkroom Poster Of The Month "Soulex". That's the most goddamn heartwarming post I've read all day. Pay forums user Soulex suitable respect.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd like you all to welcome Dorkroom Poster Of The Month "Soulex". That's the most goddamn heartwarming post I've read all day. Pay forums user Soulex suitable respect.

Maybe we should start having new Dorkroom posters pay a tuition fee since clearly our collective knowledge is worth money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RangerScum posted:

Maybe we should start having new Dorkroom posters pay a tuition fee since clearly our collective knowledge is worth money.

Them not making lovely photographs is payment enough.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

Them not making lovely photographs is payment enough.
I am getting better at taking pictures. The first thing I ask myself when I try to compose a shot is "why?" If "it's pretty" is the only thing I come up with I avoid shooting it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

But what if we're a big lovely echo chamber?
I propose that we send our superstars to other boards to post pics and see what outsiders say :stare:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Steve McScene posted:

I propose that we send our superstars to other boards to post pics and see what outsiders say :stare:
They'll say it sucks because it isn't HDR'd to hell and back. Or selectively colored. Or because the shot is in focus. I may be new, but I know how it works out "there."

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I envy you, you get to live through the HDR stage, the high contrast black and white stage, the "blurry is art" stage, the low saturation polaroid edge hipster stage....

I miss being young. :(

Soulex posted:

Or because the shot is in focus.

Focus is a social construct!

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 5, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just stopping in to profess my love for my 70-200 F/2.8 IS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I missed a WRC event a few years back to a knee injury and it still bugs me to this day. Rally racing would be a loving blast to shoot. Where else does this kind of poo poo happen in sports? Dude got real lucky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0rlH2Ki22Uc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HeyEng posted:

I missed a WRC event a few years back to a knee injury and it still bugs me to this day. Rally racing would be a loving blast to shoot. Where else does this kind of poo poo happen in sports? Dude got real lucky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0rlH2Ki22Uc

Holy poo poo :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Steve McScene posted:

Other boards are terrible.