Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress do you resolve the Vampire quest successfully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

Are they unique and interesting events, like VAMPIRE! or DANCING DRAGONEWTS! or SKELETON BAND! Or are they variations on RELIGIOUS GROUP wants to PERFORM RITUAL y/n?

In my admittedly limited experience, they seem pretty unique. Note that I never played the original game, though I did read the wonderful LP of it here. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

rotinaj posted:

There are ways. If you're extremely lucky you might be able to get a vampire hunt to work. Otherwise, the gods and hero quests are an option, Urox and Humakt come to mind.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Hunt it down and kill it. Send less than 6 weaponthanes and unless you have a combat warrior of at least Heroic (ideally a Humakti) don't bother trying.

Unless I'm still talking about an old event and out of the loop. gently caress it, gonna download the ios.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Just kill it! Send three or four weaponthanes and a Humakti, and make sure you have the Tracking blessing from Odayla.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Downloaded the ios. How do you increase the amount of goods you have now that you can't toggle crafters? I've discovered all the tula resources but I'm still always dirt poor.

Also lol at this review in the app store:

quote:

The outcome of the game seems to be determined by 90% the random cruelty of an insane hostile world, and 10% by your actual decisions.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

Downloaded the ios. How do you increase the amount of goods you have now that you can't toggle crafters? I've discovered all the tula resources but I'm still always dirt poor.

The resources help, and trade routes, to bring goods to your market. How poor is dirt poor?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you can't crank out enough goods to form a giant pool swim in Scrooge McDuck style, you need more goods. :colbert:

I suppose with enough goods you might be able to forego the slaughter of cattle, but I've never tried it.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

freebooter posted:

"The outcome of the game seems to be determined by 90% the random cruelty of an insane hostile world, and 10% by your actual decisions."

The person who wrote that review has almost gotten into the mindset!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

freebooter posted:

Look at this chump from chumpistan, thinking that you win KoDP by "trying to win."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

zkline posted:

The resources help, and trade routes, to bring goods to your market. How poor is dirt poor?

The point where temples sometimes fall into disrepair because I have 0 goods by the end of the year.

Given that I can no longer savescum quite as easily maybe I shouldn't be playing on Hard mode. And I've always followed Slothful Cobra's policy.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

freebooter posted:

The point where temples sometimes fall into disrepair because I have 0 goods by the end of the year.

Given that I can no longer savescum quite as easily maybe I shouldn't be playing on Hard mode. And I've always followed Slothful Cobra's policy.

I've found hard mode to be just no fun. I was looking for an increase in challenge but it turned it into a joyless slog.

Anyway, you can increase your goods output by having more trade routes, increasing the size of your Issaries shrine (even if not directly, it will allow you to have more trading partners), the Market blessing, and trade magic at sacred time.

Short term, you can always call in a favour, or send a caravan to trade for goods.

I believe that in the iOS version crafters are always maxed, so you wouldn't have been able to get any more out of them anyway.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Build less shrines i guess. You gotta economize at some point.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

freebooter posted:

Savescumming is actually easier in iOS version, just go to Saga and you can restart at the end of any year in your history!

It took me a while to figure this out, and honestly I preferred it when I didn't know, because it makes the game feel more real. I like playing Hard Mode as a War clan. Challenging but super fun! One time I didn't get enough hero quests in time to finish the game, and I had to watch another clan win all the honor :(

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

freebooter posted:

I'll just chime in here to say that hard mode is actually easier in the iOS version, supposedly. I've never had much luck with it myself, but someone I know was able to beat it in one mammoth play session as I recall. Of course, they'd had more experience than most playing the original and various betas of iOS, so…

BlindGuy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 29, 2012

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I know you can savescum, but it's from the start of each year, not whenever you feel like it. And I have actually stopped doing it entirely, because, as you said, it makes it more enjoyable. I never really thought before about how short a lifespan most of your nobles lead. I've gone through about 5 chiefs already, to the point where my Humakti warleader is now chief because there was basically no-one else left. And I had a teenage Elmali I was grooming for leadership, having successfully led him through two heroquests (also way more of a big deal without savescumming) when he randomly got cut in half during a raid.

And, yeah, I gave up on my Hard game and switched to Normal. It's leagues easier. Hard is just a pain in the rear end, Normal lets me attain the heights of wealth, influence and power I was used to in the PC version.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I'm having a bitch of a time running this on 7 64-bit. The mtplay95 thing is not working. I'm getting the splash screen with no options on it. Help?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've come across the dragon-newt temple statue/gems event twice. The first time I ignored it because I was weak and didn't want to piss them off, the second time I thought I'd hire some mercs to have a swing at it. They failed and the women of their clan (one of my allies) were pissed off and it was suggested I pay wierguild, which I did, to the tune of 135 goods (out of like 200, ugh). In the future, is it generally worth getting, or better to steer clear? I figured even if I did pull it off successfully with my own men, the newts would come knocking later and not be happy, like when you find the body and make it into armor.

The game I've been playing now isn't going so well. From the get-go I went straight for all the blessings to increase food, and I still hover on the brink of starvation no matter what. This game is also completely overrun with outlaws; literally every single exploration party I send out gets stopped by them, either within my tula or around Dragon Pass. Outside of my tula, I was getting the outlaw shaman type dudes who were unbeatable when I sent a party to rescue my dudes/attack the outlaws. How the gently caress can I trigger a "band clans together and hunt down the outlaws" event? Do I need to form a tribe first? Tall order considering how shittily my clan has limped along until now.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Atma McCuddles posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time running this on 7 64-bit. The mtplay95 thing is not working. I'm getting the splash screen with no options on it. Help?

Are you running it off the CD?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This game is also completely overrun with outlaws; literally every single exploration party I send out gets stopped by them, either within my tula or around Dragon Pass. Outside of my tula, I was getting the outlaw shaman type dudes who were unbeatable when I sent a party to rescue my dudes/attack the outlaws. How the gently caress can I trigger a "band clans together and hunt down the outlaws" event? Do I need to form a tribe first? Tall order considering how shittily my clan has limped along until now.

I think this was why I stopped playing the hard version - I could literally never step foot outside my tula. The ios version also added a nice little "gently caress you" to the player in the new result for trying to defend the trade goods ("Sensing that there must be something valuable in the wagons, the bandits press hard and slaughter you like children etc")

For food, the most important thing to do by far - the first thing I do in any game - is go to the crops screen and crank up the amount of land you've dedicated to crops, until your expected yield is over 1000. (This will take it from pastureland, so you then have to replace that by eliminating forest.) You'll need more farmers, so recruit some more, but even if you fall a little bit shy of the demanded number you'll still be rolling in grain.

After doing this I usually get by fine without any of the blessings (although Plowsong will help get rid of some of those annoying LABOUR CRISIS messages). As well as not having to starve to death anymore, it means you have a steady surplus of food that can be traded for cows and goods.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

freebooter posted:

I think this was why I stopped playing the hard version - I could literally never step foot outside my tula. The ios version also added a nice little "gently caress you" to the player in the new result for trying to defend the trade goods ("Sensing that there must be something valuable in the wagons, the bandits press hard and slaughter you like children etc")

For food, the most important thing to do by far - the first thing I do in any game - is go to the crops screen and crank up the amount of land you've dedicated to crops, until your expected yield is over 1000. (This will take it from pastureland, so you then have to replace that by eliminating forest.) You'll need more farmers, so recruit some more, but even if you fall a little bit shy of the demanded number you'll still be rolling in grain.

After doing this I usually get by fine without any of the blessings (although Plowsong will help get rid of some of those annoying LABOUR CRISIS messages). As well as not having to starve to death anymore, it means you have a steady surplus of food that can be traded for cows and goods.

I'm new to this game and I don't quite get this screen. My advisers seem to give conflicting messages about how many farmers I need, and we're always short of cattle no matter what I do. How do I decide how much crops and pastures I should assign? I just do what the ring says but I never seem to be rolling in grain, and they are always complaining.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've found increasing hunters to be an easier way to increase food yield tbh. I don't know if this applies in the iOS version but the most important thing in my experience was to pay attention to the Sacred Time omens. If it says a bad crop year, crank up the rye to about 50 and the wheat down to like 15, if a good year do the opposite proportions. You'll still probably have a bad year or two, trade goods for food with the ducks and beg your allies for food. I rarely ran all rituals for crops - usually Ernalda's Crop Blessing and a shrine to Maran Gor seemed to be enough to get my 800 farmers making 1200. If trolls are your sacred enemy, you can sacrifice to your ancestors to summon your ancient enemy in Dark and rely on their blood to water your fields (i mean you can do this anyway just that trolls are easy to beat and give lots of blood)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Node posted:

I'm new to this game and I don't quite get this screen. My advisers seem to give conflicting messages about how many farmers I need, and we're always short of cattle no matter what I do. How do I decide how much crops and pastures I should assign? I just do what the ring says but I never seem to be rolling in grain, and they are always complaining.

Cattle come from your enemies. If you're not waging two successful raids every Fire season, my advice is to raid better.

As for food, generally my shortages came from having a tribe 60% under the age of 15. All I can say to THAT is lots of pro-farming miracles to go along with never, ever, ever doing anything to increase birthrate. If you wind up with Ernalda's Rattle, give it as a gift to some random tribe for the reputation bonus of being generous, and let them face the economic collapse of having billions of anklebiters.

Finally, pay attention to your advisers skills AND their advice level. If an adviser has a high plants skill, but in special events gives lots of suspicious advice? Maybe listen to the #2 in plants ranking.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've come across the dragon-newt temple statue/gems event twice. The first time I ignored it because I was weak and didn't want to piss them off, the second time I thought I'd hire some mercs to have a swing at it. They failed and the women of their clan (one of my allies) were pissed off and it was suggested I pay wierguild, which I did, to the tune of 135 goods (out of like 200, ugh). In the future, is it generally worth getting, or better to steer clear? I figured even if I did pull it off successfully with my own men, the newts would come knocking later and not be happy, like when you find the body and make it into armor.

I've not had them come by angry about that myself, though of course I haven't seen everything the game has to offer either. I'd steer clear of it under most circumstances, there are easier treasures to get.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

freebooter posted:

Thanks, this worked! I'm now cruising at like 1300 food minimum (usually 1500-2000), and trade/give it away like it's herpes. Game is on super-easy mode now it seems... I just successfully did the "... Heals The Scars" heroquest without reading the lore.

I'm sure I'll get dicked over pretty soon.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Tulip posted:

I've found increasing hunters to be an easier way to increase food yield tbh. I don't know if this applies in the iOS version but the most important thing in my experience was to pay attention to the Sacred Time omens. If it says a bad crop year, crank up the rye to about 50 and the wheat down to like 15, if a good year do the opposite proportions.

A lot of this changed in the iOS version; you can't pick which crop you try to grow any longer. It's automatic I guess.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Node posted:

Do not listen to your advisers. They'll bitch and moan about not having enough manpower, but you'll actually be fine. I usually do one token recruitment drive after toggling my cropland and pick up maybe 50 farmers. Definitely get a Plowsong temple, though. Worst case scenario your farmers are overworked and you'll get messages about it. Just recruit more until you stop getting messages. You should ALWAYS be able to produce more food - to a comfortable margin - than you have people. The game just sets it by default below that point, for some reason.

It is generally a good idea to have more cattle than people. You can raid like Mongol said or just send out large trade caravans to get cattle in exchange for all the grain you should be rolling in after doing what I said.

Tulip posted:

If it says a bad crop year, crank up the rye to about 50 and the wheat down to like 15, if a good year do the opposite proportions. You'll still probably have a bad year or two, trade goods for food with the ducks and beg your allies for food. I rarely ran all rituals for crops - usually Ernalda's Crop Blessing and a shrine to Maran Gor seemed to be enough to get my 800 farmers making 1200. If trolls are your sacred enemy, you can sacrifice to your ancestors to summon your ancient enemy in Dark and rely on their blood to water your fields (i mean you can do this anyway just that trolls are easy to beat and give lots of blood)

If you don't have enough of a grain surplus that you automatically click through and ignore famine warnings, and literally never worry about starvation, and the other clans aren't calling you "the breadbasket of Dragon Pass," you're doing it wrong.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Somehow poo poo went south with my farming and I went from massive food surplus to people starving, which really sucked for the 35 thane army I was using to terrorize my rivals (raid mercilessly until they sue for peace, demand a low annual tribute to keep them from raiding back, repeat as needed).

I've been putting magic into crops for the first time since the start of the game, cleared more land, switched blessings around to produce more grain, and completed the Ernalda Feeds The Tribe quest for the first time. Just starting to pull out of it. I over-recruited farmers because I listened to my idiot advisors against my better judgement and wound up having to split off my tribe.

Things are still going pretty well though, I've gotten furthest in this game. I tend to get more random positive events than I have in part games; seems like I can't send a party to Tarsh without winning a treasure and 100 goods or something. I gather I'm supposed to be completing heroquests to up my tribes standing, and then use that to unite the tribes into a kingdom... will I trigger the event after completing X heroquests, or is there more to it?

With regards to exploring, what's the consensus about the northeast, aka Trollville? I've explored everywhere else, and the one or two parties I sent up that way got ganked by the troll queen. I guess if I made friends with the trolls it'd be okay... is there any way around that, or should I just leave it alone?

I also got a party enthralled by the bull-dudes in the Beast Valley (however I've got that whole part of the map explored now). My attempt to rescue/bargain didn't work... if I complete that quest that lets me gain dominion over bulls and bull-headed people, could I use that? I've also got the magic switch for convincing them, but don't want to throw away more thanes and another noble if it's a fruitless gesture.

Also got farthest along in the story line with the dude who got turned into a Tusk Raider... looks like things are working out for him :kiddo:

Really, this is a great game and while I think it's got a lot of replay value and can't think of a lot missing, I'd love to see a sequel. Maybe something that scales the endgame up another level or two for the whole kingdom (that you see if you look in the manual), or possibly adding minigames for combat/heroquesting or something, I dunno. I don't think multiplayer would work too well, unless it wasn't asynchronous or you didn't mind the game moving at a glacial pace.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Things are still going pretty well though, I've gotten furthest in this game. I tend to get more random positive events than I have in part games; seems like I can't send a party to Tarsh without winning a treasure and 100 goods or something. I gather I'm supposed to be completing heroquests to up my tribes standing, and then use that to unite the tribes into a kingdom... will I trigger the event after completing X heroquests, or is there more to it?

You trigger the end game sequence (which involves a lot of events and is by no means short or easy) after completing all seven heroquests and having a member of your clan be king. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do them all while he is king - in fact, you can complete them all before he becomes king (or queen) - but any that you completed before the formation of a tribe are null and void. In the PC version I think it's marked with blue highlights on the stone in the centre of the screen. In the ios it's a star by each quest.

The end game sequence will eventually happen no matter what, however, and if you're not king of your tribe you'll have to watch someone else take the glory. So get cracking.

quote:

Also got farthest along in the story line with the dude who got turned into a Tusk Raider... looks like things are working out for him

I love that event sequence. There's a huge number of chain events - some of which have consequences years and years down the track - and I think ideally, for the best "story" of your clan's time in Dragon Pass, you want all of them. Off the top of my head:

The feud over a horse between one of your families and the family of an allied clan, which can go on for generations
The earthshaker eggs
Kallyr the shield baby (apparently there's an ending where she demands to go off and fight some holy warrior and gets killed, but I've never had it)
Derik the Praxian-hater and the Praxian conquest of Dragon Pass
Helping out the Tarshites with their war and then having an argument about cows as spoils
The construction of a tavern and the divides it causes (possibly triggered by a demand during tribe forging)
Going to war against other tribes
The civil war in your tribe (I think there's potentially a few of these, actually)
The false queen who causes a war between tribes

I'm sure there's more that I can't recall. Even after playing the PC version for years and years I would still sometimes trigger events I'd never come across before, like the salmon man or the creepy loving hand sorcerer who lops of one of your men's limbs during an exploration mission.

There's a whole bunch of events that will only be triggered if you're a certain type of clan - like if you worship Elmal or keep thralls - so if you're always setting up your clan the same way you're missing replay value.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone know if there's a way to get rid of Yinkin's magic-eating cats if you invite them into your tula?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Glimpse posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to get rid of Yinkin's magic-eating cats if you invite them into your tula?

THey go away after a while, I think.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What good does burning steads do, by the way? I tried it once and failed and it mentioned how pissed they were I even tried, but there's got to be some upside for it. I got some woad that improves my odds of burning steads a while back but have yet to use it.

freebooter posted:

You trigger the end game sequence (which involves a lot of events and is by no means short or easy) after completing all seven heroquests and having a member of your clan be king. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do them all while he is king - in fact, you can complete them all before he becomes king (or queen) - but any that you completed before the formation of a tribe are null and void. In the PC version I think it's marked with blue highlights on the stone in the centre of the screen. In the ios it's a star by each quest.

The end game sequence will eventually happen no matter what, however, and if you're not king of your tribe you'll have to watch someone else take the glory. So get cracking.

I love that event sequence. There's a huge number of chain events - some of which have consequences years and years down the track - and I think ideally, for the best "story" of your clan's time in Dragon Pass, you want all of them. Off the top of my head:

quote:

The feud over a horse between one of your families and the family of an allied clan, which can go on for generations

The only one more annoying than this is the ugly dude that can't find/keep a wife.

quote:

The earthshaker eggs

I wasn't able to train them as war mounts, but at least use them for farm animals. Just had to put them out to pasture though, which was a bummer. I liked those guys.

quote:

Kallyr the shield baby (apparently there's an ending where she demands to go off and fight some holy warrior and gets killed, but I've never had it)

Have just gotten her again in this game, then immediately got her hurt in a heroquest so I imagine that's been delayed a bit.

quote:

Derik the Praxian-hater and the Praxian conquest of Dragon Pass

I've gotten this one a few times and he always does well (although I do a decent job gifting him when he leaves). I've never heard of the Praxians invading Dragon Pass though!

quote:

Helping out the Tarshites with their war and then having an argument about cows as spoils

I've usually got a lot of thanes by then, so when I send 3/4 of them it leaves me with a decent number to defend. Doesn't stop those rear end in a top hat ducks from insta-rustling some cattle from me though.

quote:

The construction of a tavern and the divides it causes (possibly triggered by a demand during tribe forging)

I'm two for two on taverns causing problems. I guess Orlanthi just can't hold their liquor.

quote:

Going to war against other tribes

I guess I spread the hate around enough that no one tribe gets adequately pissed at me to do something.

quote:

The civil war in your tribe (I think there's potentially a few of these, actually)

So far, so good. Maybe if I got a trickster appointed chieftain...

quote:

The false queen who causes a war between tribes

Haven't gotten that far yet!

quote:

I'm sure there's more that I can't recall. Even after playing the PC version for years and years I would still sometimes trigger events I'd never come across before, like the salmon man or the creepy loving hand sorcerer who lops of one of your men's limbs during an exploration mission.

Haven't gotten either of those yet either!

quote:

There's a whole bunch of events that will only be triggered if you're a certain type of clan - like if you worship Elmal or keep thralls - so if you're always setting up your clan the same way you're missing replay value.

Is there a good reason not to keep thralls? The first time I played I said I didn't, but eventually got tempted and took some. Obviously I lost some clan magic for that, but then my ancestral spirits did a big "DUDE WTF" when I sacrificed a few of them later on. Lesson learned. Since then I've always been a thrall-taking clan, and although it can suck when someone raids and frees them all (I don't really rely on thralls for most of my labor, so it never totally bones me), the cheap labor and getting clan magic bonuses for taking them is nice, plus the added "gently caress you" factor for a successful raid. Sometimes I'll elect to ransom captives instead of taking them as thralls, because 100+ goods for a good raid outweighs balancing my labor supply with 30-40 additional workers that I have to worry about someone freeing in a lucky raid.

Very rarely I get some saucy thralls that need a beating, but only once have I had a revolt, which I easily put down.

As far as choosing a god, aside from starting out with a shrine to them, what else does it do? Are there any advantages to picking ancestors? (Can't remember if "nothing" is an option or not.)

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 7, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

freebooter posted:

Do not listen to your advisers. They'll bitch and moan about not having enough manpower, but you'll actually be fine. I usually do one token recruitment drive after toggling my cropland and pick up maybe 50 farmers. Definitely get a Plowsong temple, though. Worst case scenario your farmers are overworked and you'll get messages about it. Just recruit more until you stop getting messages. You should ALWAYS be able to produce more food - to a comfortable margin - than you have people. The game just sets it by default below that point, for some reason.

The advisers are not complaining about not having enough farmers to feed your clan. They're complaining that they don't have enough farmers to utilize all of your farm land. This is better than not having enough farmland to put all your farmers to work.

You absolutely can have insufficient farmers to feed your clan! So be careful about that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This game is confusing as hell, particularly the Hero quests.

Sometimes a certain response works, sometimes it doesn't. Like for Uralda's Blessing, when Ernalda asks for the secret greeting from the cave, sometimes she'll refuse me and one time I ended up in a cave I couldn't get out of.

And the bulls NEVER seem to agree I've suffered enough wounds.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

This game is confusing as hell, particularly the Hero quests.

Sometimes a certain response works, sometimes it doesn't. Like for Uralda's Blessing, when Ernalda asks for the secret greeting from the cave, sometimes she'll refuse me and one time I ended up in a cave I couldn't get out of.

And the bulls NEVER seem to agree I've suffered enough wounds.

Heroquests options are weighted depending on your hero's skills and religion, your clan's knowledge of the myth, and several other unknowable factors. Nothing is guaranteed to work. There is quite a few things guaranteed to fail, though. I think. Study your Orlanthi history thoroughly before conducting a heroquest!

Sometimes your hero just can't do what the gods did, but might succeed by going off the rails. Having a strong person try to beat a guy at riddling because a God did might not work, but if you've got the Orlanthi Heracles in your ranks, just having them punch the guy might just work.

Also Uralda's Blessing is the most horrible and unfair heroquest.

Tell the bulls to shut up and listen to their mother. Its the only option I've had reliably work for me. Other than that, just try to follow the myth the best you can.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What good does burning steads do, by the way? I tried it once and failed and it mentioned how pissed they were I even tried, but there's got to be some upside for it. I got some woad that improves my odds of burning steads a while back but have yet to use it.

It's a huge 'gently caress you' that will make them hate you forever, if for some reason you want that, and far as I can tell hurts the clan's strength more for longer than just ordering your guys to kill as many of theirs as possible, although it's next to loving impossible to reliably gauge a clan's strength unless you're raiding them nonstop anyway so who knows. Like siezing land, you shouldn't really be doing it except as a victory spike when you're kicking rear end.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 9, 2012

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's a huge 'gently caress you' that will make them hate you forever, if for some reason you want that, and far as I can tell hurts the clan's strength more for longer than just ordering your guys to kill as many of theirs as possible, although it's next to loving impossible to reliably gauge a clan's strength unless you're raiding them nonstop anyway so who knows. Like siezing land, you shouldn't really be doing it except as a victory spike when you're kicking rear end.

Occasionally, if you catch a clan unprepared you can do a massive amount of damage with it—I suspect it's the equivalent of salting the earth. I managed to successfully do it once during Dark season and burned something like a dozen steads in total, or something equally ridiculous. They packed up and moved soon after.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
You're approaching the problem the wrong way. What good does not burning steads do?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

What's so bad about seizing land? It's a pain in the rear end to pull off, but whenever I've got a neighbor that I hate I usually alternate between that and going for captives. I know you can make your tula too big to defend easily, but aside from that and having them hate you, are there any other drawbacks?

I'm kinda curious if I could play a game where I just raid the poo poo out of people and try to seize all the land, and keep expanding my clan/number of weaponthanes to compensate. Seems unlikely the game would let me, but might be fun to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's so bad about seizing land? It's a pain in the rear end to pull off, but whenever I've got a neighbor that I hate I usually alternate between that and going for captives. I know you can make your tula too big to defend easily, but aside from that and having them hate you, are there any other drawbacks?

If you have too much land it makes it harder to defend, makes you a bigger target for raiding, and also makes your carls bitch that your clan is too large more often.

KoDP is very much designed to discourage typical strategy-game-esque "KILL AND CONQUER EVERYTHING :byodood:"-type gameplay.

• Locked thread