Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Decided to try out the Lilyhammer pilot and it felt really wink wink, nudge nudge to me. Maybe because I just marathoned through the Sopranos a few weeks ago, where the writing and acting was so much better. That said, I didn't hate it but not sure if I really liked it either, is it worth it to keep going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Chiming in a little late here, but I took the entire movie as a kind of dark comedy and melodrama totally plays into that. The scenes with the fat office worker friend? Especially the black power fist when he avoids the trap. The cellphone in the mouth scene? The entirety of the sequence with the crazy American doctor with the lazy eye FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN IT LOOKS loving SILLY? The movie is a brilliant comedy monster movie and it plays the melodrama of that scene for laughs.

Edit: Boy do I love The Host.

There are also a bunch of references to Korean politics, social movements, groups and actual events in the movie. For instance, the main family members are each very specifically symbolic of certain political/demographic movements in modern Korean society. It'd be like if a US family consisted of members who were say, right wing survivalist militia, fundamentalist randroid, born again christian, new age hippie flower child, angry communist/anarchist, and young idealistic child who only believes in "America" but they all loved each other somehow. Ie, the family is so obviously constructed (yet also each in their own way so very Korean at their core) that they end up representing the nation of South Korea as a whole. So anything and everything that happens to the family you can read as what South Korea fears the world will do to it, etc. That's just one example.

In general, there's a lot of stuff going on in that movie that I guess you'd have to know about South Korea (or be Korean) to understand. I honestly don't think they expected or intended the movie to be an international hit. It's just So Very Korean. Including the melodrama and overactive emotion, which straight up just happens in real life over there.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

vmdvr posted:

In general, there's a lot of stuff going on in that movie that I guess you'd have to know about South Korea (or be Korean) to understand. I honestly don't think they expected or intended the movie to be an international hit. It's just So Very Korean. Including the melodrama and overactive emotion, which straight up just happens in real life over there.

It's also pretty openly critical of the US, and the military's presence in Korea specifically. Allegorically, you can read The Host existing in the same cultural context that the original Godzilla occupies in Japan. Science + American intervention = mutant abomination of nature.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Leper Residue posted:

I tried getting into Black Books about a year or so ago, and just couldn't get through the first episode. They rely on the laugh track really really hard, and it was pretty much unwatchable.

I don't think it's the laugh track so much as the fact that it's just not as funny as any of the other episodes, which is typically the case for comedy pilots. But yeah, the laugh track is still ridiculous either way. Every time Bill Bailey is on-screen is the Funniest Thing Ever according to the fake audience.

Which is pretty much true because Bill Bailey is awesome, but still.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

I tried getting into Black Books about a year or so ago, and just couldn't get through the first episode. They rely on the laugh track really really hard, and it was pretty much unwatchable.

A few months ago I did the same thing, and still found it unbearable.

I've had this same experience with Black Books, as well as the IT Crowd. The laugh track was pummeling me and the format was too reminiscent of something like Two and a Half Men, where it is just a series of set-up lines and zany one-liner responses. I keep hearing lots of praise for both of them, though, so perhaps I will try your marathon method and see if I can get through to the guts of the show. I do like Bill Bailey from the panel shows I've seen him on.

For content: Steven Soderbergh's Bubble is streaming and well worth watching. It's worlds away from his big box office movies (one thing I really like about Soderbergh is his ability to make good films on both sides of the entertainment spectrum), filmed on a digital camera and featuring local non-actors in a small town. It's quiet, mundane, and fairly bleak, but feels very genuinely human, I think. The basic story has to do with the friendship between two workers at a doll-making factory and what happens when a new person joins the factory. It's one of those movies where there are movie-level circumstances, but even if there weren't, it still might break your heart.

Balancing Monsters fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 2, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Balancing Monsters posted:

I've had this same experience with Black Books, as well as the IT Crowd. The laugh track was pummeling me and the format was too reminiscent of something like Two and a Half Men, where it is just a series of set-up lines and zany one-liner responses. I keep hearing lots of praise for both of them, though, so perhaps I will try your marathon method and see if I can get through to the guts of the show. I do like Bill Bailey from the panel shows I've seen him on.

For content: Steven Soderbergh's Bubble is streaming and well worth watching. It's worlds away from his big box office movies (one thing I really like about Soderbergh is his ability to make good films on both sides of the entertainment spectrum), filmed on a digital camera and featuring local non-actors in a small town. It's quiet, mundane, and fairly bleak, but feels very genuinely human, I think. The basic story has to do with the friendship between two workers at a doll-making factory and what happens when a new person joins the factory. It's one of those movies where there are movie-level circumstances, but even if there weren't, it still might break your heart.

For what it's worth, the first episode of the second series of The IT Crowd is basically my masterclass for setups and executions of jokes; it's one of the best constructed episodes of a comedy show I've ever seen.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
For anyone looking for a good horror movie, the Korean "The Antarctic Journal" is the best horror movie I've seen this year.

It's environmental horror with great acting, a good script, and a cinematographer who clearly knew exactly what to do and set up each shot. I know snow might now sound terrifying, but this movie makes it horrifying. Elements of The Thing, The Shining, Session 9, Moby Dick (This is not a typo, I really do mean Moby Dick) and a few others blend together to create a horror movie without monsters or jump scares. It imparts a different feeling of fear, not the adrenaline burst unease of a jump scare. More like a blanket of dread.

The catch? It's subtitled, and who ever did the translation is god awful. Still well worth watching. It's a little slow and the ending is more open than I might have wanted at first, but it fits the movie very well. Check it out.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Crappy Jack posted:

For what it's worth, the first episode of the second series of The IT Crowd is basically my masterclass for setups and executions of jokes; it's one of the best constructed episodes of a comedy show I've ever seen.

Agreed - it's incredible. For what it's worth to those objecting to the laugh track, the show (and Black Books) almost seems to parody shows with a laugh track, and transcends that pretty quickly once the show picks up.

I'm disabled :corsair:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Knightmare posted:

Decided to try out the Lilyhammer pilot and it felt really wink wink, nudge nudge to me. Maybe because I just marathoned through the Sopranos a few weeks ago, where the writing and acting was so much better. That said, I didn't hate it but not sure if I really liked it either, is it worth it to keep going?
Good question. I've only watched the first episode too, and it seemed to cover everything interesting you'd want to see on that subject.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A ton of new flicks added today, like:
Bubba Hotep - great horror comedy with Bruce Campbell
Dog Day Afternoon - classic 70s Pachino, and a great heist gone wrong based on a true story
Gandhi - fantastic epic film, must see!
Groundhog Day - watch it over and over and over again
Iron Giant - modern classic animated flick
Karate Kid - the 1984 original, still has a soft nostalgic spot in my heart
Network - another 70s classic, great satire that's scarily prescient about television today
Omega Man - cult classic sci fi with Charleton Heston
Starship Troopers - fantastic sci fi flick
Top Gun - another 80s classic

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic! I've wanted to watch Dog Day Afternoon for I don't know how long, and Bubba Ho-Tep has always sounded really fun.

Huge Ghost
Jun 26, 2007

a lil' horse
Just watched the Giorgio Moroder 80's version of Metropolis and thought it was a cool movie but the 80's music was kind of unnecessary. But I liked the idea of having 80's songs so maybe they just should've picked/wrote better songs? Also I've never seen Metropolis before.

Knightmare posted:

I just watched the first episode and I thought it was really corny and kindof bad but it was awesome when he smashed his dog's ashes vase and there was a gun inside.

Huge Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 3, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Last night I accidentally rated the original Planet of the Apes movie, thinking it was Tim Burton's remake that i didn't much care for. Well, when I realized it wasn't, my OCD started going off for rating something I hadn't seen, so I watched it then and there.

I guess it's one of those movies where it's so sort of engrained into social consciousness and pop culture that I never really thought about it on its own terms. It's a drat good film though - it's good sci-fi, which is a rare treat. Obviously I'm breaking the news about forty years too late, but I was really impressed.

I think tonight I'm also going to rewatch Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which sadly isn't on streaming, but is also a pretty good movie.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Chiming in to say Black Books is hilarious, and there are some great set ups and pay offs. The episodes can vary slightly in "the funny", but never to the level of boredom.

Come on, the dude froze a bottle of vodka with a stick in it, smashes the bottle and and starts licking the frozen "vodka" pop (would that even work with that much alcohol in it). Anyways! Goofy, funny stuff like that fills the show, it's like Father Ted or the IT Crowd.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Of that new batch of movies on streaming, I've got drinking games/cocktails for Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers at Alcohollywood if you want a little liquid accompaniment. I've got a Midwestern martini called the "Punxsu-tini" and a rum-and-soda-based mixed drink called the "Christmas on Klendathu."

EDIT: Fixed links.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 3, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

ZenMaster posted:

Chiming in to say Black Books is hilarious, and there are some great set ups and pay offs. The episodes can vary slightly in "the funny", but never to the level of boredom.

Come on, the dude froze a bottle of vodka with a stick in it, smashes the bottle and and starts licking the frozen "vodka" pop (would that even work with that much alcohol in it). Anyways! Goofy, funny stuff like that fills the show, it's like Father Ted or the IT Crowd.

Leaning towards no based on personal experience keeping liquor in the freezer.

I really like Black Books, but I couldn't stand Snuff Box. The first episode wasn't funny at all to me.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Hewlett posted:

Of that new batch of movies on streaming, I've got drinking games/cocktails for Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers at Alcohollywood if you want a little liquid accompaniment. I've got a Midwestern martini called the "Punxsu-tini" and a rum-and-soda-based mixed drink called the "Christmas on Klendathu."

That second link doesn't work. I want to know what the Christmas on Klendathu is. :(

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

mod sassinator posted:

A ton of new flicks added today, like:
Bubba Hotep - great horror comedy with Bruce Campbell
Dog Day Afternoon - classic 70s Pachino, and a great heist gone wrong based on a true story
Gandhi - fantastic epic film, must see!
Groundhog Day - watch it over and over and over again
Iron Giant - modern classic animated flick
Karate Kid - the 1984 original, still has a soft nostalgic spot in my heart
Network - another 70s classic, great satire that's scarily prescient about television today
Omega Man - cult classic sci fi with Charleton Heston
Starship Troopers - fantastic sci fi flick
Top Gun - another 80s classic

Are these all in hd? Cause if so, hells loving yes. I've been waiting for Groundhogs day. Iron Giant is a must see and the rest are just icing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

VaultAggie posted:

That second link doesn't work. I want to know what the Christmas on Klendathu is. :(

Whoops, sorry :ohdear:. Here it is.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Bad Lieutenant went up several weeks back, and I just watched it. It's the R-rated cut despite Netflix showing an NC-17 rating. Not that I have an urgent need to see Harvey Keitel in the buff, but discovering as I watched that it was the edited version always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I noticed a couple scenes felt like they were missing something even though I'd never seen it. So, heads up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I like how Netflix has added all of these amazing, classic films and yet their New Releases section doesn't mention a single one of them, and their "Just Added" section is gone from the website.

What in the gently caress is going on with the people who maintain that site?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I was pleasantly surprised after watching Vexille, a sci-fi/political anime about Japan developing androids, being criticized by the UN, then withdrawing from contact from the rest of the world for 10 years. This is one of those where you can tell whether you'll like it after watching the first two minutes. Great animation, great plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Abugadu posted:

I was pleasantly surprised after watching Vexille, a sci-fi/political anime about Japan developing androids, being criticized by the UN, then withdrawing from contact from the rest of the world for 10 years. This is one of those where you can tell whether you'll like it after watching the first two minutes. Great animation, great plot.

That actually sounds interesting.

Anyway, I just finished watching the documentary on The Boys In The Band, Friedkin's adaptation of Crowley's stage play. It's called "Making The Boys" and it's really fascinating how it was basically the first American film that frankly discusses homosexuality as it's primary theme. Really strong stuff, especially learning about what happened to the ensemble after the film was released.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Abugadu posted:

I was pleasantly surprised after watching Vexille, a sci-fi/political anime about Japan developing androids, being criticized by the UN, then withdrawing from contact from the rest of the world for 10 years. This is one of those where you can tell whether you'll like it after watching the first two minutes.

I turned it off after the first two minutes. The premise sounds interesting but Netflix only offers the dub and not the original language track. It doesn't surprise me by now, but it's still annoying. Doubly so that I actually have to start watching the movie before that information becomes clear.

It's sad that Netflix half-asses so much of its foreign content. Their Japanese language selection is particularly miserable, excepting a couple of Kurosawa movies.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Ugh... I was stoked I just read about that, because my wife loved Ghost in the Shell (the only other anime being Bebop) and I think she'd love this... But I really can't stand dubbed movies. e; unless the american's are really really good, but most of the time they're not.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 4, 2012

modern villian
May 4, 2009
If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Network, go watch it tonight. There is a reason it won Best Picture.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

modern villian posted:

If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Network, go watch it tonight. There is a reason it won Best Picture.

(It didn't.)

BUT it does TOTALLY loving RULE. Really though, Dog Day Afternoon is the jewel of that collection. That movie is as close to perfect as any other.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

penismightier posted:

Really though, Dog Day Afternoon is the jewel of that collection. That movie is as close to perfect as any other.

Yeah, there's a good reason for it popping up in high positions on so many "Best Films of All Time" lists. It really is that good.

modern villian
May 4, 2009

penismightier posted:

(It didn't.)

BUT it does TOTALLY loving RULE. Really though, Dog Day Afternoon is the jewel of that collection. That movie is as close to perfect as any other.

I was confused because it won practically every other award that year. Seriously, how stacked was the Best Picture scene in 1976? Network, Rocky, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Knightmare posted:

Not really it's a really bland and predictable series especially the premise how the main character gets good results through ugly American type behavior. I found it hard watch after a few episodes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah Network is really good. I watched it again on DVD a few months ago and couldn't believe how similar it was to modern day Fox News/Glenn Beck/OReilly/etc. It's scary how right they got it.

edit: I mean compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Gf0VKXk5Q

To anything Glenn Beck did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7NUQZiWl6w

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 4, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Knightmare posted:

I will say this much and maybe it's because of the fact that I'm a Springsteen fan and anything that Little Steven does is god, but I thought that it was pretty good for a show from Norway.

That's the one thing that everyone forgets about this show. It's not going to have the best writing in the world or the best acting for that matter either. However, one thing that is good about is that it's a fun show and that's all that matters.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Tewratomeh posted:

I like how Netflix has added all of these amazing, classic films and yet their New Releases section doesn't mention a single one of them, and their "Just Added" section is gone from the website.

What in the gently caress is going on with the people who maintain that site?

You think they'd want to push new content to the front somewhere. I haven't been on instantwatcher in a while but they would have recently added maybe?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

You think they'd want to push new content to the front somewhere. I haven't been on instantwatcher in a while but they would have recently added maybe?

Yeah I check instantwatcher almost every day, usually once a week they have a big set of new movies: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Movies expiring soon that are worth watching(?):

The Third Man: A film noir of incomparable quality. A classic if there ever was one. A must watch.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three: A fun, tense thriller. Walter Matthau makes everything good. My favorite part of this movie is how much effort it puts into setting up a joke.

And three I haven't seen but that I think I'll try to catch before they disappear:
My Man Godfrey: Everyone needs a Man Godfrey.
The Trial: Orson Welles plus Kafka? It's like peanut butter and chocolate! But instead of chocolate, existential dread.
Un Chien Andalou: You've heard of it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah Network is really good. I watched it again on DVD a few months ago and couldn't believe how similar it was to modern day Fox News/Glenn Beck/OReilly/etc. It's scary how right they got it.

The Howard Beale character from Network is the complete opposite of the talking heads from today's right wing news/commentary shows. Beale's a guy who stops giving a gently caress about the bullshit. Beck and O'Reilly embrace the bullshit and make their living with it.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Starship Troopers 3 is on streaming.

Would you like to know more? (is it worth watching if I loved the first)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

penismightier posted:

(It didn't.)

It really is...just watched it for the first time last night and wow.

Also as a child of the 80s (born in '85) movies like Dog Day really drive home how absolutely mind-numbingly bleak the 70s were. Reading up on the Attica Prison Riot afterwards was :stare:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

The Howard Beale character from Network is the complete opposite of the talking heads from today's right wing news/commentary shows. Beale's a guy who stops giving a gently caress about the bullshit. Beck and O'Reilly embrace the bullshit and make their living with it.

Yeah, Glenn Beck is basically a living parody of the Howard Beale character. It's like he watched Network and completely missed the point, adopting the "Truthsayer" persona without upholding any of the principles behind it. Glenn Beck is Howard Beale after he gets that speech about capitalism from Arthur Jensen. Only Glenn Beck actually believes in everything Jensen says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Also expiring on the 15th (if FeedFliks is correct) are a handful of MST3K episodes, the bulk of which are otherwise available directly from Shout! Factory (they are almost? all ex-Rhino releases).

Red Zone Cuba - available to rent
The Atomic Brain - streaming only
Incredibly Strange Creatures - streaming only
The Touch of Satan - available to rent
Hamlet - available to rent
The Beginning of the End - streaming only
Gunslinger - available to rent

And one that isn't available to buy from Shout!, but is still listed as rentable: I Accuse My Parents

Unfortunately, The Iron Giant is SD and cropped to 1.78:1. Darnit.

• Locked thread