Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was unbelievably excited to hear him talking about Nightmare Alley. One of my favorite movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

plastered quack posted:

Wow, this episode so far is insane. PFT really lets these guys go all over the place. Is the whole episode like this?

No. It gets even more insane.

Definitely my favorite episode of Dead Authors Podcast so far. Second favorite is the Carl Sagan episode.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Henry Phillips & Rory Scovel on the Todd Glass Show
Chelsea Peretti on Sklarbro Country
Harris Wittels on You Made It Weird
PFT, PFT, & PFT on Doug Loves Movies

What on earth do I listen to first :allears:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Conduit for Sale! posted:

No. It gets even more insane.

Definitely my favorite episode of Dead Authors Podcast so far. Second favorite is the Carl Sagan episode.

Gotta go with Benjamin Franklin myself, mainly because of Aukermans ridiculous take of Benny B being a guy who just says "that's dumb" to everything

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
Am I the only person who can't stand Graham Elwood? I don't think I've laughed or even cracked a smile at anything that guy's said. And he's on like, every episode of DLM, which I love.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

Am I the only person who can't stand Graham Elwood? I don't think I've laughed or even cracked a smile at anything that guy's said. And he's on like, every episode of DLM, which I love.

I've only liked Graham on the Todd Glass podcast, outside of that he's kind of unbearable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

No. I talked about this in the Doug Loves Movies thread. He puts me off so much. I don't particularly find him unfunny I think I just really hate his personality.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was catching up on Jay Mohr's podcast, and he had Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft on, they were hilarious.

I went through and downloaded a bunch of TalkS Hit episodes.
What happened to that podcast?

In the beginning it was really funny, Jefferies in particular was hilarious. The interviews were entertaining as all hell, but then at some point it seemed to turn into "Hey famous person, come over and make fun of my idiot friend".

Why would you have Paul Provenza on your show and spend the entire time making fun of an idiot rather than talking to him about his years of history in stand up and the entertainment industry in general?

I guess it's not an interview show anymore, but I don't like it at all.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

You're certainly not, and fortunately, if you stick to just the friday eps of DLM, he doesn't show up all that often.

I've never heard one of the car eps; I can only imagine how irritating it would be.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was catching up on Jay Mohr's podcast, and he had Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft on, they were hilarious.

I went through and downloaded a bunch of TalkS Hit episodes.
What happened to that podcast?

In the beginning it was really funny, Jefferies in particular was hilarious. The interviews were entertaining as all hell, but then at some point it seemed to turn into "Hey famous person, come over and make fun of my idiot friend".

Why would you have Paul Provenza on your show and spend the entire time making fun of an idiot rather than talking to him about his years of history in stand up and the entertainment industry in general?

I guess it's not an interview show anymore, but I don't like it at all.

Yeah the Jason as Karl Pilkington thing has gone along a little too far, but these days the supporting cast is better anyway. It definitely jumps the shark for a while after like the first 60 episodes. The recent episode with Jim, Eddie, and Doug Benson discovering Chatroulette for the first time is the funniest one they've done in a while.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Peter North posted:

Yeah the Jason as Karl Pilkington thing has gone along a little too far, but these days the supporting cast is better anyway. It definitely jumps the shark for a while after like the first 60 episodes. The recent episode with Jim, Eddie, and Doug Benson discovering Chatroulette for the first time is the funniest one they've done in a while.

I actually listened to that one as I like Doug Benson, but the entire first half hour or so of it was more bagging on Jason. I turned it off before it got to the chatroulette talk, I'll redownload it and give it another go.

I think my favorite one was the first one with Kaylani Lei. I like when Jim does most of the talking, as Eddie isn't that funny (in my opinion).

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think my favorite one was the first one with Kaylani Lei. I like when Jim does most of the talking, as Eddie isn't that funny (in my opinion).

This is not an unpopular opinion.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I don't dislike him but I don't particularly like him either. He's just kind of there. Like Kevin Eubanks.

That's cold, Doug, that's cold.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Last time I saw Graham Elwood live, he was doing impressions of celebrities doing impressions of Godzilla, including Carrol Channing.

I think he's delightful.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

New episode of Pod F. Tompkast at last!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started with AIOTM. What a delightful show. Kinda reminds me off The Todd Glass show with all the bits but different. Definitely a keeper.

I would also like to remind everyone that there is still a little podcast called The Flophouse, run by Daily Show writers. I just got trough all their backlog and I think I loved every single episode.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Jen Kirkman is on Janet Varney's podding cast this week. It's a loving delight. Give it a try.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Popelmon posted:

I just started with AIOTM. What a delightful show. Kinda reminds me off The Todd Glass show with all the bits but different. Definitely a keeper.

I would also like to remind everyone that there is still a little podcast called The Flophouse, run by Daily Show writers. I just got trough all their backlog and I think I loved every single episode.

Thanks for the recommend, for some reason I can't get enough of bad movie podcasts like this and How Did This Get Made and We Hate Movies (probably because I grew up watching MST3K). The only issue I have with this podcast after jumping around a few episodes is that they seem to spend as much time on "podcast business" like listener mail, recommendations etc. than they do talking about the actual movie.

There's nothing that turns me off like a podcast that starts by being about something and eventually disappears up its own rear end and spends most of the time talking about emails from fans, tweets about the podcast, and Adam and Eve advertisements.

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 10, 2012

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

indigi posted:

Jen Kirkman is on Janet Varney's podding cast this week. It's a loving delight. Give it a try.

The JV Club is delightful anyway, but this episode was a riot. The story about Jen having two watches in high school, one regular and one set to Iraqi time during the Gulf War to make her think about what was going on there was just SO perfect, I had exactly the same reaction Janet did.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jen Kirkman either had the most interesting childhood and teenage years of anyone who has ever lived, or she's amazing at turning mundane incidents into riveting anecdotes. She turns up on the Pod F Tompkast a lot too and her stories are always fantastic.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Lamuella posted:

Jen Kirkman either had the most interesting childhood and teenage years of anyone who has ever lived, or she's amazing at turning mundane incidents into riveting anecdotes. She turns up on the Pod F Tompkast a lot too and her stories are always fantastic.
She's even better drunk!
http://youtu.be/bqzUI1ihfpk
http://youtu.be/ipV2u-MxlFc
:airquote:

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 11, 2012

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Thanks for clueing me in to the JV Club. I was never an adolescent girl, but this is still relatable somehow.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I listened to the first JV Club with Christina Hendricks and my god it was boring. I knew I shouldn't have tried to listen to a podcast based on the breast size of the guest.

I then skipped to the Natasha Leggero one and that was great. Is the Gillian Jacobs one good?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The latest, live Improv4Humans was really loving funny. Brett Gelman, who I thought was pretty mediocre the last couple of times he's been on the show, was a standout. Lots of really solid scenes.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I was going to say the same thing about improv4humans, it was the first episode in a while that I really liked.

Also, thanks to whoever mentioned You Made It Weird. I don't think I'm going to listen to every episode, but I liked every one I listened to.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cast No Engine posted:

I then skipped to the Natasha Leggero one and that was great. Is the Gillian Jacobs one good?

The Gillian Jacobs one is pretty decent, but my favorites are the Jen Kirkman and Jessica St. Claire episodes. Also Maggie Lawson's is awesome.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Goose Halo posted:

Also, thanks to whoever mentioned You Made It Weird. I don't think I'm going to listen to every episode, but I liked every one I listened to.

Speaking of, today's episode is making me insane from laughing so hard. Pete and Chelsea Peretti have a Top Tier Comedic Repartee (along with Seth+Jonathan and Todd+Rory)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
You Made it Weird is one of the podcasts I listen to as soon as it pops up on Itunes. I still have a lot to go through and am not listening to everything. It was weird to hear him on with Adam Carolla and be so nervous. I expected Adam to kind of take over because that's his thing, but because I've listened to so much of his show and his appearance on the Mental Illness Happy Hour, I got a lot of the same stories. Oh well, Pete's laugh makes up for anything.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Speaking of, today's episode is making me insane from laughing so hard. Pete and Chelsea Peretti have a Top Tier Comedic Repartee (along with Seth+Jonathan and Todd+Rory)

Dustin got all the credit but I did the timestamping for episodes 1-10 and a bunch of random other ones. I know he mentioned me in the email he sent the file over with but oh well :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

does anyone here listen to International Waters? It's Jesse Thorn (Bullseye, Jordan Jesse Go, Judge John Hodgman) hosting a US vs UK panel show between comedians, and it's pretty loving fun. They're only 3 episodes in and they're doing one new episode a month. THe latest one had Andy Daly, Erin Gibson, Humphrey Ker, and Margaret Cabourn-Smith & was pretty great.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lamuella posted:

does anyone here listen to International Waters? It's Jesse Thorn (Bullseye, Jordan Jesse Go, Judge John Hodgman) hosting a US vs UK panel show between comedians, and it's pretty loving fun. They're only 3 episodes in and they're doing one new episode a month. THe latest one had Andy Daly, Erin Gibson, Humphrey Ker, and Margaret Cabourn-Smith & was pretty great.

I heard that one, and it seems like the show could be really good. Jesse Thorn still constantly steps on people's jokes and isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is, but the show still managed to be pretty funny in spite of him. He seems to have pretty good taste in comedians, because most of the Maximum Fun shows are really great.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Actually hearing Erin Gibson laugh was one of the highlights of the episode. Everyone was great this week. The British guy's parodies wee very funny too.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Latest Pod F. Tompkast was a particularly good one IMO. I'll never cease to be charmed by the way he cracks himself up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

it was the first tompcast where I understood the true value of having him and ebin in the same room at the same time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

I heard that one, and it seems like the show could be really good. Jesse Thorn still constantly steps on people's jokes and isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is, but the show still managed to be pretty funny in spite of him. He seems to have pretty good taste in comedians, because most of the Maximum Fun shows are really great.

Yea the worst part of the show is Jessie jumping into things mid-joke with his own half-assed bits, but that kinda goes with a Jessie Thorn podcast. I actually like him a lot on his own or with a partner that knows his 'timing' better, but it bugs me in International Waters.

That said, it's still a hilarious podcast, and I'm super happy to see Maximum Fun expanding well.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea the worst part of the show is Jessie jumping into things mid-joke with his own half-assed bits, but that kinda goes with a Jessie Thorn podcast. I actually like him a lot on his own or with a partner that knows his 'timing' better, but it bugs me in International Waters.

That said, it's still a hilarious podcast, and I'm super happy to see Maximum Fun expanding well.
Timing gets hard when you have to work with a half a second of round trip transatlantic latency.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think Jessie is one of the funniest dudes in the world and appreciate every time he jumps in. I get that I am in the minority on this.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I'm fairly convinced at this point that Kurt Andersen calling himself "Explodo" many years ago changed Jesse Thorn's life in a considerable way, because he brings it up way more than he needs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poopy Palpy posted:

Timing gets hard when you have to work with a half a second of round trip transatlantic latency.

You know, that's a valid point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

yeah, for a panel game happening in at least 2 studios, I can make allowances for timing.

• Locked thread