Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Olivia42 posted:

I'm posting this in the main thread rather than the fanart thread because gently caress it, I worked hard on these. Over the past many months, I've been knitting Prospit and Derse pajamas, and finally finished them. These are actual pajamas that I actually wear, because if you're going to make embarrassing costumes that you would never ever wear in public, you might as well get some use out of them.

As always, linked for pictures of a super awkward looking goon wearing the most embarrassing pajamas this side of A Christmas Story.

I wear my Prospit nightie in the summer when it's hot.

I wear my Derse pajamas in the winter when it's not.

in my dream i am the star. its me

awwwww, these are cute and so are you. :3: I like the Derse one especially. I think you could get away with these as a halloween costume if you wanted to stealth-nerd it up. Other MSPA readers would recognize you on the spot and anyone else would probably just think you're a fairy princess or some crap. It's the perfect crime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

life_source posted:

I am vaguely recalling someone talking about this, where in the infinite pool of Universes, there are only a few WV's who actually get fed up enough to rally the troops for a rebellion. It compared it to Jack, where he doesn't always get fed up enough with the BQ to actually attempt to kill her.

Maybe one of the Doctor Scratch interludes? I don't want to have to troll through all of Homestuck to try and find something that could have just as easily been a Hussie quote.

Basically, there does not seem to be any real constants in Skaia. B2 here doesn't even have the Kings and no Black Queen! Just as easily there could be no Jack in certain sessions, or by some awkward (player instigated) series of events, White could win over Black.

I don't remember anyone mentioning WV in the comic. Maybe one of Andrew's formsprings? Either way it would still fall under the banner of 'things the players could influence/take advantage of'.

Also the Black Queen and the Kings are missing in B2 because of outside influence (the Condesce). Although then again it's hard to say if there's really any difference.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

It is really weird that all the other carapacians hold fast to their initials, but Jack Noir's initials aren't the same as his title, ArchAgent, and he only starts going by SS when A2 becomes the Scurrilious Straggler and then Spades Slick. After B2 Jack becomes the Sovereign Slayer, he starts being called Bec Noir, breaking the initials rules even more, despite still being referred to as "the Slayer."

Is he ever referred to as Bec Noir in story? I know Andrew's called him that in quotes but I don't think he is ever referred to by other characters as Bec Noir. The kids all call him Jack, and DD and CD and all the exiles refer to him as the Slayer both before and after the ring's final prototyping.

Also, regarding WV's rebellion--I've always thought that Jack and WV were supposed to be opposites in terms of the game, where you could help one of them but not the other to take out one of the bosses. It makes for a nice open palm vs. closed fist thing--WV's rebellion would take longer and probably be harder to lead to success, but has a better overall payoff and puts a friendly ally in a position of power. Helping Jack is probably easier due to his overall competence and his position putting him in capacity to take out the Queen, but it's also, well, Jack.

Both do probably require some egging on, like Jack may not have actively planned to take out the Queen until he and Karkat made their BLOOD PACT because he likely does not always have the means. And of course we won't really get to see this in effect in B2 because it's already so far off the rails.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

life_source posted:

I am vaguely recalling someone talking about this, where in the infinite pool of Universes, there are only a few WV's who actually get fed up enough to rally the troops for a rebellion. It compared it to Jack, where he doesn't always get fed up enough with the BQ to actually attempt to kill her.

Maybe one of the Doctor Scratch interludes? I don't want to have to troll through all of Homestuck to try and find something that could have just as easily been a Hussie quote.

Basically, there does not seem to be any real constants in Skaia. B2 here doesn't even have the Kings and no Black Queen! Just as easily there could be no Jack in certain sessions, or by some awkward (player instigated) series of events, White could win over Black.

We did see the kings. They were on the un-prototyped battlefield in their eternal stalemate, before it was blown up by CD. BQ was deposed by the Condesce. We know that she was there to be deposed because Jack is said to like the "new" queen as he tries to assassinate Jane.
On my cell, don't want to link the pages.
It's weird how they appear as the abstracted chess pieces of Nanasprite's explanation to John, rather than people.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 4, 2012

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I think Jack's just acting out because he never managed to have the sort of <3< chemistry with the reigning Black Queen.

Sure, she was evil and condescending and loved to abuse her power - but the spark just wasn't there. And it felt like it should be. It just couldn't develop into a properly personal hatred. There was no connection at all, as if she was just a totally different species or something. Sure, maybe he shouldn't be entertaining ideas about loathing the Queen on a personal level in the first place. She's the queen. It would just be unseemly, a queen stooping to being individually spiteful to him, instead of just generally spiteful to all her subjects. But, for some reason, he still felt hurt that she never did.

But, with the White Queen? It feels like there could be possibilities, there. For something deeper than just general Derse/Prospit antagonism.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This might be a bit tougher, Jack.

That cell is going to be so, so bloody.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nate RFB posted:

This might be a bit tougher, Jack.

That cell is going to be so, so bloody.
Yeah, sounds like Jack is in for a sound drubbing. :geno:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Krinkle posted:

what's in the pumpkin

WHAT"S IN THE PUMPKIN???

I'm sorry I don't understand, can you put that in the form of a jittery animated gif?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't decide whether I'd rather see Jack knocked senseless (because he's an evil, murdering bastard) or Jack victorious (because it'd be funny to see a murderous psycho standing atop a heap of dead enforcers). I mean obviously we're supposed to root for the... oh hell, you know this stupid song and dance by now. Go narrative! Be fun!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Andrew posted:

That's all there is to see on this website for now! Nothing til next Tuesday at the earliest.

Looks like we've got four days of no updates to look forward to. Hopefully we'll manage without closing the thread.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
welp. no way we're not cutting away for good at this point.

what animation-worthy things do the kids have to accomplish at the moment?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
well, for flash worthy, Roxy and Dirk have to fight some Imperial drones and Jake has some volcano things to worry about.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I think Jack's just acting out because he never managed to have the sort of <3< chemistry with the reigning Black Queen.

This Jack is from an Earth session. Earth doesn't have :s: romance, remember?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

DontMockMySmock posted:

This Jack is from an Earth session. Earth doesn't have :s: romance, remember?
But this is an earth with some troll culture and I'm pretty sure Jack :s: Black Queen was the example for OH GOD THIS IS HOW IT STARTS

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Olivia42 posted:

I'm posting this in the main thread rather than the fanart thread because gently caress it, I worked hard on these. Over the past many months, I've been knitting Prospit and Derse pajamas, and finally finished them. These are actual pajamas that I actually wear, because if you're going to make embarrassing costumes that you would never ever wear in public, you might as well get some use out of them.

As always, linked for pictures of a super awkward looking goon wearing the most embarrassing pajamas this side of A Christmas Story.

You rule these are amazing, I just want to say you rule again because of how cool it is that you did this.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

life_source posted:

Isn't it a universal constant that Black always wins over White? That's what starts the Reckoning in the first place, excepting most void sessions, I guess, where there's a permanent stalemate. Have we been told of any other way to avoid the Reckoning?

:shobon:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Olivia42 posted:

Aw poo poo, those Derse jammies are the bomb. If you wanted I'm sure you could make big bux off making them!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zeruel posted:

Aw poo poo, those Derse jammies are the bomb. If you wanted I'm sure you could make big bux off making them!

Except Hussie has explicitly forbidden selling Homestuck merch.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/salesfaq.html

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Except Hussie has explicitly forbidden selling Homestuck merch.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/salesfaq.html

And as has been stated in various places, by people who are more knowledgable of how the law (and more specifically, intellectual property law) work, some of the claims made by Hussie and his team go from 'stretching things a little' to 'flat out wrong'.

It may not be the case in this usage scenario, but there are things such as transformative works allowances, fair use, etcetera and they have permittances for commercial usage for a reason.

If you want to make money off of something MSPA-related and it's not specifically allowed, my advice? Consult a lawyer. Always consult a lawyer :)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Armadillos! posted:

And as has been stated in various places, by people who are more knowledgable of how the law (and more specifically, intellectual property law) work, some of the claims made by Hussie and his team go from 'stretching things a little' to 'flat out wrong'.

It may not be the case in this usage scenario, but there are things such as transformative works allowances, fair use, etcetera and they have permittances for commercial usage for a reason.

If you want to make money off of something MSPA-related and it's not specifically allowed, my advice? Consult a lawyer. Always consult a lawyer :)

I think in this case it's fairly cut and dry, surely? If I started making and selling Karkat dolls, that would be legally equivalent to me making and selling Mickey Mouse dolls i.e. Disney could hit me with a suit if they liked. It's not as if Hussie is suggesting people can't sell their intellectual criticisms or parodies of Homestuck. Fair use really doesn't apply in the case of selling straight-up Homestuck merchandise.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Android Blues posted:

I think in this case it's fairly cut and dry, surely? If I started making and selling Karkat dolls, that would be legally equivalent to me making and selling Mickey Mouse dolls i.e. Disney could hit me with a suit if they liked. It's not as if Hussie is suggesting people can't sell their intellectual criticisms or parodies of Homestuck. Fair use really doesn't apply in the case of selling straight-up Homestuck merchandise.

Even if he's stretching things/etc, it's at the very least something that that could very well be determined by a court, so unless you think its worth making poo poo clearly based off of Homestuck to sell, and you'll have enough money tucked away to go to court with, it's not worth doing. I'd maybe hit them up and discuss what their plans are for certain things, and if you could be involved officially in putting together something like badass pajamas.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Android Blues posted:

I believe that this is legal as long as the dolls are poorly made and given away as prizes at rigged carnival games.

Bad timing on Hussie's hiatus, now we have nothing to talk about except olivia42's pajamas for 4 days.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's neat how items that are strongly tied to the player's identity (Terezi's glasses, Eridan's cape and scarf) appeared on their dream-self, and parts of their real room would show up in their dream room. You think the dream-versions of those items are just as functional as the real ones? I mean it seemed that way for Cal.

It would also be funny if a player thought that sleeping in their boxers was a big part of their identity so instead of having cool Prospit or Derse pajamas they just get a shiny pair of boxers with suns or moons on them. Might be somewhat embarrassing.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Dolash posted:

I think it's neat how items that are strongly tied to the player's identity (Terezi's glasses, Eridan's cape and scarf) appeared on their dream-self, and parts of their real room would show up in their dream room. You think the dream-versions of those items are just as functional as the real ones? I mean it seemed that way for Cal.

It would also be funny if a player thought that sleeping in their boxers was a big part of their identity so instead of having cool Prospit or Derse pajamas they just get a shiny pair of boxers with suns or moons on them. Might be somewhat embarrassing.

Well didn't Rose and Dave jam out on one of his phreshly-ill beat machines?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mazerunner posted:

Well didn't Rose and Dave jam out on one of his phreshly-ill beat machines?

Yeah, and also Dream Jade's atomic bass.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Sorry if someone posted this already, but apparently Book 2 is available!

And everyone's hunches were right, that embossed Hussie face is the extra purchase option this time around.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 5, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Worth noting that Book 2 combo packs (like a combination with the first HS book, or with all the HS and PS books) are also available, for people hoping to catch up.

Edit: Oh, and I did not participate, but TopatoCo is apparently having a ~mystery shirt~ sale. Discontinued shirts, completely random, for $7.00. Just pick a size. Probably a ton of crap, but people love picking What's In The Box, I guess?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 5, 2012

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Armadillos! posted:

Or you could just respect the creator's wishes and not try to make money off something MSPA-related? Even if you can find a legal reason to be able to do so, it's pretty dickish to do it when he's said not to.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

Isn't it a universal constant that Black always wins over White? That's what starts the Reckoning in the first place, excepting most void sessions, I guess, where there's a permanent stalemate. Have we been told of any other way to avoid the Reckoning?

There are two basic reasons the Reckoning almost always happens. The obvious one is that in order to prevent it, you have to actually keep anyone from using the Scepter to trigger it. It starts the game in the hands of the entire game's controller-smashingly hard final boss, who is perpetually surrounded by his massive army, and he is loath to ever relinquish it ever. It can apparently be used instantly by any carapacian. He will do just that the moment he thinks it's necessary, as would anyone on his side. And opposing your cause is basically his entire reason for existing, so diplomacy is going to be a bit of a hard sell. (Oh, and don't forget that the White King's Scepter can probably do the same thing if the wrong people get their hands on it!)

The other reason is that the Reckoning is an almost-essential part of several stable time loops. It's hard to make Sburb without the frog temple source code, and it's hard to get the frog temple source code without the frog temples, and it's hard to get the frog temples if they never got sent to your universe via the Reckoning. Meteor babies and exile terminals don't seem strictly necessary, but the game seems pretty attached to them for whatever reason. So in order to prevent paradox space from dooming you, you would also need to get Sburb programmed through some other chain of events, and prevent your players and exile terminals from having been deposited in your universe via Reckoning meteor.

Those aren't insurmountable obstacles, though. It should certainly be possible to keep both Scepters unactivated. Keeping paradox space from pitching a fit would be harder, but still not impossible. The way Aranea says paradox space works, it's all about your patterns of behavior. You simply need to make "closing those stable time loops the normal way" a really out-of-character thing for your players to do, and provide some more plausible alternative way those loops could be closed. You get those three things in order--scepter safety, player personalities, and plausible stable time loops--and the Reckoning won't happen. Not only that, it never happened, and it never could have happened. At some point, you'll look back at your timeline and feel really dumb for spending so much time worrying about an outcome that was obviously impossible from the start.

Iny fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 5, 2012

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Literally Sharks posted:

There are two basic reasons the Reckoning almost always happens. The obvious one is that in order to prevent it, you have to actually keep anyone from using the Scepter to trigger it. It starts the game in the hands of the entire game's controller-smashingly hard final boss, who is perpetually surrounded by his massive army, and he is loath to ever relinquish it ever. It can apparently be used instantly by any carapacian. He will do just that the moment he thinks it's necessary, as would anyone on his side. And opposing your cause is basically his entire reason for existing, so diplomacy is going to be a bit of a hard sell. (Oh, and don't forget that the White King's Scepter can probably do the same thing if the wrong people get their hands on it!)

Actually we don't know what the Black King's sceptre does. He needs the WK's to start the Reckoning and does so once Derse wins the war. In the B2 universe Jack kills the BK and breaks his sceptre, before PM delivers the WK's and Jack starts the reckoning.

Presumably the BK's stops the Reckoning, making it actually necessary for the players to defeat him in order to beat the game, but that's speculation.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
For anyone who bought the first book, was the commentary interesting?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

ShardPhoenix posted:

It had some good moments, but was very spoilery. It compared Hussie's lips to Liv Tyler's a few times I think? Mostly just jokes, not really in-depth thoughts or whatever.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ShardPhoenix posted:

It was justification enough to throw a few bucks at the man. He gives lots of hindsight, mentioning how a few things are even funnier now due to recent events or pointing out something he forgot to do (Like John changing the background on the PDA)

I eat that commentary type of thing up though, so your mileage may vary.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One last Homestuck Liveblog comment, for your pleasure:

Treestuck is new to liveblogging Homestuck, and she's entertaining because she's an extremely soft-hearted person, and has acted with trepidation to even modest changes to the status quo. And she's approaching Horrorstuck, so it should be a very fun ride.

The little Fefari "I’M D———EAD!" thing has sent her on a multipost Karkat-style tirade against Hussie, the readers, her friends for making her start reading this, etc. It's great.

http://treestuck.tumblr.com/post/22434314025/cc-because-stupid-cc-im-d-ead-wow-okay
http://treestuck.tumblr.com/post/22434399984/jade-wake-up-again
http://treestuck.tumblr.com/post/22434459120/i-just-thought-corgi-was-like-noel-give-me
http://treestuck.tumblr.com/post/22434738583/anonymous-asked-treestuck-2012-05-05-02-14

quote:

I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN DESCRIBE THE NOISE I JUST MADE IT WAS LIKE A BALLOON LETTING AIR OUR SHARPLY IN A SHRILL AND PANICKED, UNCONTROLLABLE SQUEAKING BACKWARDS SCREECH

I JUST THOUGHT CORGI WAS LIKE NOEL GIVE ME SOMETHING TO READ WHILE I WORK ON THIS PROJECT AND I WAS LIKE OKAY FRIEND I WILL DO THIS THING FOR YOU

ALL THE WHILE SHE’S SITTING UP THERE IN THE SHAGGY DANDRUFF RIDDEN SCALP OF THE COUNTRY, HOLDING HER HANDS TO HER FACE AND LAUGHING TO HERSELF LIKE THE RIDICULOUSLY CRUEL SHORT LEGGED BEAST OF MY EMOTIONAL APOCALYPSE THAT SHE IS OVER THE PAIN THAT SHE PUSHED ME INTO EXPERIENCING TONIGHT.

I HAVE NEVER BEFORE UNDERSTOOD THE TUMULTUOUS EMOTIONS THAT KARKAT HAS EXPERIENCED BEFORE TONIGHT, WHEN MY DEAREST FRIEND LAUGHINGLY PUSHED ME UP TO THE TOP OF THE CLIFF OF FEELINGS AND THEN TRIPPED ME OVER RIGHT OVER THE EDGE. BEFORE I HAD NO KARKAT IN MY HEART, BUT NOW I UNDERSTAND. PREVIOUSLY I COULDNT EVEN INSULT A FRIEND JOKINGLY WITHOUT IMMEDIATELY APOLOGISING, BUT NOW I KNOW KARKAT'S FEELS. YOU FEELS ON, KARKAT, YOU FEEL ONWARD, BRAVE SOLDIER.

gently caress.

Oh, and her friend's response:

quote:

on tumblr they say
that noel's wee heart
grew a karkat that day

:D

ShardPhoenix posted:

The Problem Sleuth commentary is great, because he makes all kinds of connections in the story that I never caught (probably because there wasn't an extensive fan community analyzing everything the way there is for Homestuck). It establishes this ridiculous pre-story rivalry between PS, AD, and PI that explains all the instruments jammed in weird places and silly notes.

The Homestuck commentary is a kinda...introspective? Hussie takes the time to point out all the times he was planning to go one way and changed his mind later. Or a joke that he meant to follow up on, and then forgot about (like John's deadly peanut allergy that subsequently paid off in the 6th Act when DreamJake is killed)

If you like Homestuck analysis (and why are you in this thread if you don't?), I think it's worth it. If you're looking for a new sentence punchline on every page, it's not that.

I will say that I think the paper version of the story loses something for losing all those jittery two-frame GIFs and music-backed flashes, so the books will never replace the website version.

Probably when Homestuck is all said and done, someone should start on an Annotated Homestuck CD that is the whole website with javascript hide/show author commentary / date-relevant formspring/tumblr answers and a whole mess of the best Homestuck fanart/youtubes.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Bobulus posted:

Probably when Homestuck is all said and done, someone should start on an Annotated Homestuck CD that is the whole website with javascript hide/show author commentary / date-relevant formspring/tumblr answers and a whole mess of the best Homestuck fanart/youtubes.
I thought of doing that using a site where the main comic would be in a frame with commentary on the side, featuring info from all sources plus fan commentary, but that would be a lot of work and I'm not sure if it would be either worth it or entirely legal.

Might work better as a wiki-type system but then you have to worry about vandalism/stupidity and spam.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If it were my project, I'd start it as a website, but once it was finished, burn it onto a DVD with a simple browser program EXE, so that you could still go back and read it later, after the site died / the site was no longer compatible with modern web browsers.

But, yeah, anything like that would have to be done with Hussie's permission, and never sold, just provided free.

The wiki system might be the way to go, because if you are going to go so far as to document all the callbacks on every single page, you'd have to websource it, or it would never get done.

Also: It goes without saying that after you burn it to DVD, you make a DVD case shaped like a Captcha card to put it in.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Book two is TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY PAGES, goddamn. Book one was a mere 156. Hussie you may want to consider splitting act three into more than one book at this rate.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Literally Sharks posted:

There are two basic reasons the Reckoning almost always happens.
The way I figured a Reckoning-less session would work would be that some of the players would act as bodyguards for the White King to keep him and his scepter safe. Then after the Black King was defeated, they'd send just the key meteors (babies, frog temple, exile stations if they would even have exiles).

Since B2 has a frog temple and a first guardian, it seems like there's some way for this kind of thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

CidGregor posted:

Book two is TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY PAGES, goddamn. Book one was a mere 156. Hussie you may want to consider splitting act three into more than one book at this rate.
Someone made a picture of what Act 5 would look like with this way of making books.