Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I keep buying books because I am a terrible hoarder, plus it's hard to resist a deal. The only book that I paid actual retail price for here was Game of Thrones.

Alice Munro - Too Much Happiness
Chuck Klosterman - Downtown Owl (it was a $1, I know it will probably be terrible)
David Javerbaum - The Last Testament: A Memoir by God
Jean-Paul Sartre - The Words
John Jones - On Aristotle and Greek Tragedy
Joseph O'Neill - Netherland
Loree Rackstraw - Love As Always, Kurt Vonnegut as I Knew Him
George R.R. Martin - Game of Thrones
Roland Barthes - Mythologies
Samanatha Bee - I Know I Am, But What Are You?
Todd Denault - The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey: Jacques Plante
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Dispossessed
William Gibson - Spook Country
Woody Allen - Side Effects

I have been reading Game of Thrones because I recently got hooked on the show, and while I enjoy it, it reminds me why I avoid fantasy. It's so ridiculously long. I am also reading Satiristas, a book with various photographs and interviews with different satirical comedians. Also, Adorono & Horkheimer's The Culture Industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The Missing Boatman and The Troll Hunter - both by Keith C Blackmore

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I have a terrible habit of buying more books than I could possibly read, especially since I found that buying books online means I can avoid the extortion racket that is the Australian chain bookstore. To that end, I recently bought:

Wonder Boys - Michael Chabon
The Final Solution- also Michael Chabon
Werewolves in their Youth - holy poo poo more Chabon
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K Dick
The Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks
Persepolis- Marjane Satrapi
Anansi Boys- Neil Gaiman
Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
Physics of the Impossible- Michio Kaku
A Murder of Quality - John Le Carré
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold - John Le Carré

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I recently (assuming "two weeks ago" couts as recently) made a run to the local library to pick up some tax forms and checked out a few books while I was there:

The Borthers Karamazov, by Fyordor Dostoevski
Nadi on Fencing, by Aldo Nadi

The first, I've been meaning to read for a number of years and never got around to it. As for the second, I happened to see it on a "new arrivals" shelf and thought, "hey, a book on an old hobby of mine. I think I'll check it out."

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just started Beat the Reaper and am loving it so far, about three or four chapters in. So far it reads like good SA posting.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

I keep buying books because I am a terrible hoarder, plus it's hard to resist a deal. The only book that I paid actual retail price for here was Game of Thrones.

Alice Munro - Too Much Happiness

I bought this on sale a few weeks ago- I don't think you'll be disappointed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Just bought and started A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan and a copy of Waiting For Godot.

I worked in recording studios/did music production for a little while (and have lived in NYC all my life), so a lot of it feels really familiar. I'm finding some characters a bit grating, but I realized it's because I've worked with these people, so I guess it's a testament to the writing :shobon:

I only had to read the first act of Godot, but I ended up finishing it in a day and really enjoying it.

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:

Witchfinder General posted:

Waiting For Godot.

Owns. Check out Endgame if you think to, really good read, too.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
The Once and Future King, T.H. White -- My roommates forced me to read all of Harry Potter this spring so I figured this would cancel it out.
Kim by Kipling. i unno
The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. I read Cockpit this summer after happening on it randomly. Hadn't heard of Kosinski before I guess because he's been entirely discredited. Anyway, this is his first and probably most important book.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

evensevenone posted:

The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. I read Cockpit this summer after happening on it randomly. Hadn't heard of Kosinski before I guess because he's been entirely discredited. Anyway, this is his first and probably most important book.

If you like that, you should check out Steps, which is, well, different.

I just started Kenneth Wellesley's translation of Tacitus' The Histories. It's been on my-read list for a while but I only bought it a few weeks ago.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I just started A Deepness in the Sky, and its really really cool so far. Was not expecting such a Rendezvous with Rama style thing cause I kinda jumped in blind, but its very engaging. Its also a very long book, which is weird cause it seems to be moving at a pretty good pace. Hopefully it doesn't get bogged down later on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

About to start a complete collection of all the Western stories Elmore Leonard wrote. 12 bucks at Books-A-Million. All these were written back in the 50s or thereabout it seems.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I just started Bloodstains, by Jeff Mudgett; his great-great granddad was Herman Mudgett, aka HH Holmes'. It's a blast so far, I am really loving it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Just started "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex" by Mary Roach and I love it already. I read her book about human cadavers, "Stiff," a while ago and loved that too. She's the perfect blend of journalistic non-fiction and silly humor.

Cristlefir
Nov 24, 2006

Per Ardua ad Astra

BobTheCow posted:

I read her book about human cadavers, "Stiff," a while ago and loved that too. She's the perfect blend of journalistic non-fiction and silly humor.

I own this and have been meaning to pick it up, but like many people on this thread I own about 40 books that I haven't read. Anyway, was it a good read?

I recently started (and am close to finishing) Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson, and I'm seriously enjoying it. It's a fast, easy read and basically brainless, but I'm a sucker for apocalypse novels.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Tattoo [Kindle Edition] $0.99
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
THE SENTINEL (A Jane Harper Horror Novel) [Kindle Edition] $2.99
Tomes of the Dead: I, Zombie [Kindle Edition] $5.03
Monsters Beware (Bubba the Monster Hunter) [Kindle Edition] $2.99
Knight (un)Life - Black Knight Shorts Vol. 1 [Kindle Edition] $2.99
SAINT [Kindle Edition] $0.99

I am LOVING the new amazon checkout thing where you get one receipt for all the books you buy in a certain amount of time. Beats the poo poo out of 15 emails making you wonder what the hell happened when you were drunk,

That being said, looking forward to reading these after I finish up Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and the novel for Cabin in the Woods.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Cristlefir posted:

I own this and have been meaning to pick it up, but like many people on this thread I own about 40 books that I haven't read.

It is like a addiction. I have to order at least a book a week from Amazon or go through withdrawals.

To add I just got Cat's Cradle and Pym today. I think I am going to start Pym tonight.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Cristlefir posted:

I own this and have been meaning to pick it up, but like many people on this thread I own about 40 books that I haven't read. Anyway, was it a good read?

"Stiff" was excellent, which got me into "Bonk," which I'm currently about a third of the way through and also think is excellent. Roach definitely isn't an author that I would consider particularly academic, but everything she writes is a lot of fun while still being very informative.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

nate fisher posted:

It is like a addiction. I have to order at least a book a week from Amazon or go through withdrawals.

To add I just got Cat's Cradle and Pym today. I think I am going to start Pym tonight.

Cats Cradle is pretty good, but kinda depressing. Somehow not more so than some of Vonneguts other works, but still. It was actually the first of his books I read as an adult (read Slaughterhouse 5 ages ago but I was not ready for it at the time) and now Ive read...eight or nine? Its a bit silly.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Truspeaker posted:

Cats Cradle is pretty good, but kinda depressing. Somehow not more so than some of Vonneguts other works, but still. It was actually the first of his books I read as an adult (read Slaughterhouse 5 ages ago but I was not ready for it at the time) and now Ive read...eight or nine? Its a bit silly.

So far I only read Slaughterhouse 5 (ages ago also but more than once too), Mother's Night, and Breakfast of Champions. It is my goal to read everything Vonnegut by year end (Amazon just shipped me a used copy of Timequake)

Dragonsven
Jan 29, 2006

I'm chill. I'm chill as a cucumber, man.
Just picked up Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Reamde, and A Deepness in the Sky. I recently finished A Bridge of Years and Ready Player One. Ready Player One was amazing, I'd recommend it to anyone. A Bridge of Years was solid C+; nothing special.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

nate fisher posted:

So far I only read Slaughterhouse 5 (ages ago also but more than once too), Mother's Night, and Breakfast of Champions. It is my goal to read everything Vonnegut by year end (Amazon just shipped me a used copy of Timequake)

I just read Mother Night, and Breakfast of Champions I read immediately after Cats Cradle. They were both pretty amazing. I haven't got to Timequake yet, but God Bless You, Mr Rosewater was really really good by the end, though it had a slow start. The Sirens of Titan was interesting, though it was very obviously one of his earlier works. Mostly because of how blatantly science fictiony it was. I have yet to be disappointed by any of his work, its all very interesting.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I just started Maskerade by Terry Pratchett. This is the fourth of the fifteen or so Discworld books I picked up at Savers for $2 a book!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just started The Lost World by Crichton. I've ranted on this subforum before about how utterly poor the first novel, Jurassic Park, is compared to the movie version. Crichton simply, in my experience, is a great ideas man but a terrible writer and a mediocre scientific thinker. I don't have super high expectations for book 2. I mainly just want to see how different it is from the movie The Lost World (which I like equally as much as Jurassic Park).

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Tried to start Fifty Shades of Grey; absolutely terrible. Now I'm 3/4 through Altered Carbon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bought "Naked Lunch" and "The Activist" last night. Activist concerns John Marshall, his ruling on Marbury v Madison and how it has affected the judiciary ever since then. But still reading a Knight Templar book so they'll have to wait.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just grabbed Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Haven't read any of his stuff but I've heard good things about him and this book in particular.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Seeing as I recently finished reading Stephen Donaldson's Lord Foul's Bane, I've decided to continue the first chronicles of Thomas Covenant by getting The Illearth War as well as The Power That Preserves. Should be good!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Just started The Lost World by Crichton. I've ranted on this subforum before about how utterly poor the first novel, Jurassic Park, is compared to the movie version. Crichton simply, in my experience, is a great ideas man but a terrible writer and a mediocre scientific thinker. I don't have super high expectations for book 2. I mainly just want to see how different it is from the movie The Lost World (which I like equally as much as Jurassic Park).

I actually don't mind Crichton too much as a writer in the right context, unfortunately he suffers from people thinking he's a top level writer because they only shop at airport bookstores. For that he's quite good.

His older stuff is a lot better I find. I quite liked Airframe I think - the one dealing with an airplane manufacturer.

And I started and finished Shipbreaker today - found it via the YA thread. Really short and quick read, really enjoyed the setting but there aren't any sequels out yet. Set in a not too distant future where the world seems politically reshuffled. The protagonist is part of a ship breaking yard where people work in serfdom to strip shipwrecks of valuable parts - after one big storm a state of the art ship washes to show and he rescues the daughter of the owner of some Megacorp who is being pursued to be used as leverage. Really liked the setting but it all ended quite abruptly.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Still getting through Solzhenitsyn's August 1914, but that's going to take some time for me since I find that I keep putting it down every few chapters or so. In the meantime, I picked up Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union today. Looking forward to starting those soon.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just started Endurance It's a book about the journey of Ernest Shackelton and how he saved all his men after getting caught in pack ice in the Antartic.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

gohmak posted:

Tried to start Fifty Shades of Grey; absolutely terrible.

Did you know it was altered Twilight fanfic before you tried to read it?

aegolius
Sep 13, 2011
I'm reading Infinite Jest and House of Chains (Book 4 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen) simultaneously. Why oh why can't I choose shorter books? :cry: They are both fun books to get lost in the details of a fascinating world.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just started Flashman and the Mountain of Light, my third Flashman novel. In this one, the cowardly, self-absorbed Flashman, after blundering his way into being viewed as a hero in Afghanistan in the first book, is sent to fight in the first Anglo-Sikh War, and according to the first chapter will apparently end up with possession of the Koh-i-Noor by the end. I love these books, and I was already laughing out loud on the first page, so I'm seeing good things ahead for this one.

astralpilgrim
May 19, 2012

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Finally getting around to reading some Feist. Starting off with Magician and loving what I have read so far. Have bought the subsequent two books already after getting through the first chapter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Waffle Ho posted:

Did you know it was altered Twilight fanfic before you tried to read it?

Don't judge me.

I kept hearing about it from the women at my work then my wife asked for a digital copy because everyone at her job was reading it.

I went back to the Foundation series post trilogy books but I had to put Foundation and Earth down. I really didn't enjoy Foundation's Edge like I did the original books.

I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson Red Mars

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just began The Looking Glass War. After months of wasting my time with A Song of Ice and Fire, John Le Carré's writing reads like the greatest prose ever. After enduring pages and pages of feast descriptions, seeing the line 'They breakfasted somewhere' before getting right back into the plot was just perfect.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Just began reading Dune! After the recommendations i got from TBB i bought it and i'll enjoy it at work today, and probably throughout the next week :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yggdrassil posted:

Just began reading Dune! After the recommendations i got from TBB i bought it and i'll enjoy it at work today, and probably throughout the next week :)

Nice! I read through the original/first trilogy the other month, too. Definitely good stuff! Based on absolutely no knowledge on your tastes and preferences, I'll just go ahead and say that you should find it quite enjoyable! :D

As to what I'm reading, I've just started The Illearth War by Stephen Donaldson, after finishing the first book in the trilogy. Pretty good so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Just sent Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny to my Kindle. I hope it's as good as everyone keeps saying it is :ohdear:

• Locked thread