Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For those of you waiting with bated breath on the next woofi update that I said expect this past weekend:

Planning Fallacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

For those of you waiting with bated breath on the next woofi update that I said expect this past weekend:

Planning Fallacy

Swoon

I've missed it running on my new gnex.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MeinGott posted:

I'll check this on out too.

Is your av a touhou riding a Yian Kut Ku

Yes.

Also, don't download the codecs for mx player that are available in the market. The app will tell you if it needs one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tamba posted:

Also, don't download the codecs for mx player that are available in the market. The app will tell you if it needs one.

This is not true in my case, it just dumps back out to the selection list and greys out the one it just failed to play, no explanation. Also, out of the box it can't play 80% of my content, which is all just Xvid avi files that even my 360 can play without additional codecs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tamba posted:

Yes.

Bad rear end.

Yeah MX player is working great. Great suggestion.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is there any service that can stream web video that I upload? I ripped the entire season of a show to DVD than transferred into a portable format. I want to be able to stream the files directly to my device. If I upload the files to YouTube but make the videos private will YouTube flag and remove them?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Am I just a mongoloid, or does the new Spotify beta not include a widget?

I loved the old one, and I've had some weird problems with some widgets not giving me any love lately, so here is hoping!

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

godzirraRAWR posted:

Am I just a mongoloid, or does the new Spotify beta not include a widget?

I loved the old one, and I've had some weird problems with some widgets not giving me any love lately, so here is hoping!

does not include.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I just got a Gnex and am playing with the multi color notification LED. Is lightflow the go-to multi-color notification app? Why does it want root permissions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

I just got a Gnex and am playing with the multi color notification LED. Is lightflow the go-to multi-color notification app? Why does it want root permissions?
Some phones require root for certain options (e.g. for certain colours or to change the flashing speed), some need it to set the LED colour at all, and others work just fine without it. You can try it without, I think the GNex works just fine, but at the same time there's no great reason to refuse it either.

Edit: Lots of info here:
http://www.folioflow.com/ff/page/website/lightflow/pageId/1691

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you are in Canada and use either Bell or Virgin and have a Galaxy S2, the ICS update is FINALLY available.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Is there a better battery saver than Green Power? Since i'm using a lot of GO Launcher add-ons I feel like I need to conserve all the battery I can.

Tis the price of beauty. :cry:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Little Miss RKO posted:

Is there a better battery saver than Green Power? Since i'm using a lot of GO Launcher add-ons I feel like I need to conserve all the battery I can.

Tis the price of beauty. :cry:

Juice Defender?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Juice Defender?

Is the free one just as effective? I don't mind paying for apps in general, but I'm a bit tight for the next few months so I would prefer not to. Even if it's only $5.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
TV Show Favs just started going haywire on me. Starts up on its own and immediately crashes launching an unexpected failure message in my notification bar again and again and again. Anyone else experience this with this app before?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I need help configuring Juice Defender free on my Nexus. On my Galaxy it would shut off data when the screen was off or locked. Now I can't get it to do that anymore on my Nexus.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

So does anyone know if the new version of Swiftkey will be provided to people that bought Swiftkey X or is it going to be considered a whole new program and we'll have to buy it too?

If it's the latter, I'll be kind of miffed as this will now be the 3rd keyboard of theirs that I will have bought. I'm kind of torn though because I like their product and they have great development, but here I'll be with 2 old apps that will never get used again.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

rotaryfun posted:

So does anyone know if the new version of Swiftkey will be provided to people that bought Swiftkey X or is it going to be considered a whole new program and we'll have to buy it too?

If it's the latter, I'll be kind of miffed as this will now be the 3rd keyboard of theirs that I will have bought. I'm kind of torn though because I like their product and they have great development, but here I'll be with 2 old apps that will never get used again.

I read somewhere that you'll get the new version.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

fuzzi posted:

I read somewhere that you'll get the new version.

That would be sweet. But I'm a bit hesitant to believe based on their previous move to make you buy Swiftkey X from Swiftkey.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I have an Android tablet and I'm getting my One X today, quick question: What's the best way to set up Chrome to Phone (I have the FoxtoPhone extension on Firefox) to differentiate between two devices?

Should I just set up another email and use the actual Chrome extension? Or is there a way to go "Send this to my (tablet/phone)" and have it only sent to one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HBO GO (and MAX Go) have FINALLY been updated for ICS.

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/04/hbo-go-and-max-go-updated-to-support-ice-cream-sandwich/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2012/05/04/hbo-go-and-max-go-updated-to-support-ice-cream-sandwich/

Still wont install to my transformer prime tablet. Stupid HBO.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Runs sweet on my gnex!

Stumbled across it today while I was just browsing the free apps... was like... hang on when did that come out?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone used Carrr Matey? I'm going to be going somewhere that I'm not very familiar with, I'm horrible with spatial directions, and I need a "I forgot which direction my car is in" app.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

rotaryfun posted:

rotaryfun posted:

That would be sweet. But I'm a bit hesitant to believe based on their previous move to make you buy Swiftkey X from Swiftkey.

I bought SwiftKey not too long after it first came out and I'm almost 100% sure I got a free upgrade to SwiftKey X.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

chizad posted:

I bought SwiftKey not too long after it first came out and I'm almost 100% sure I got a free upgrade to SwiftKey X.

Hmm, wonder what happened then.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

MisterBibs posted:

Has anyone used Carrr Matey? I'm going to be going somewhere that I'm not very familiar with, I'm horrible with spatial directions, and I need a "I forgot which direction my car is in" app.

I have it but I've only used it once (and that was for a test to see how it worked).
It did the job and it's free, I'm similar in that I'm horrible getting around somewhere new, and I would feel comfortable with using it to get back to my car.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I found it to be pretty lovely but that was a year ago. I just zoom Google Maps all the way in on my location and make a custom marker. Free, and it'll show up on a PC and all your devices.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

rotaryfun posted:

Hmm, wonder what happened then.

They did split the Tablet and regular versions. I bought the regular version hoping to get the tablet version for free, but nope. :(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

I found it to be pretty lovely but that was a year ago. I just zoom Google Maps all the way in on my location and make a custom marker. Free, and it'll show up on a PC and all your devices.

Not pirate themed, thus Carrrr Matey its by default a thousand times better. :colbert:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

r0ck0 posted:

Still wont install to my transformer prime tablet. Stupid HBO.

They posted about this on Twitter today.

http://twitter.com/HBOGO/status/198526053898129410

quote:

We are actively working on a version of the app that will be optimized for most Android tablets incl Kindle Fire, coming early this summer.

At least that's confirmation that it's coming.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know of a good calculator app that has a matrix multiplier?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

What's a good weather app? Preferably optimized for ICS. Right now I'm just using AccuWeather and it's ugly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kazy posted:

What's a good weather app? Preferably optimized for ICS. Right now I'm just using AccuWeather and it's ugly.

Do you mean a link to Accuweather? I just use Beautiful Widgets 4x1 weather panel for a quick glance but I have a link to the Wunderground page for my city on another screen for when I need to see details.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Kazy posted:

BeWeather is awesome. They just updated with a new Tablet/ICS interface and it's the best weather app there is.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Frozen-Solid posted:

BeWeather is awesome. They just updated with a new Tablet/ICS interface and it's the best weather app there is.

This is absolutely great, thanks!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

GreatKesh posted:

I'll admit I don't know what a matrix multiplier is but I use real calc, it seems pretty full-featured & the paid version more so.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

GreatKesh posted:

dedicated matrix calculators
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=matrix.android.com
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bogeyman.matrixfree
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.firstapp
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=matrix+calculator

Calculus calculator (has some matrix support, not sure how good it is), useful for calc stuff though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymc.calculuspaid

Cakefool posted:

I'll admit I don't know what a matrix multiplier is but I use real calc, it seems pretty full-featured & the paid version more so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)

They're really useful for a lot of things such as working vectors, electronics and lots more.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a small widget that will show the last 3 or 4 people I contacted with little buttons for phone and sms?

Also sometimes in screenshots I see that people have the apps on their homescreen organised into little areas with a border around them and a title like "games". Like a folder that is always open. What's a good app/widget for doing that? (Or is it an alternative launcher?)

Any other tips for good ways to utilise homescreen space? I feel like Sense isn't really taking advantage of my massive screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fuf posted:

Is there a small widget that will show the last 3 or 4 people I contacted with little buttons for phone and sms?

Also sometimes in screenshots I see that people have the apps on their homescreen organised into little areas with a border around them and a title like "games". Like a folder that is always open. What's a good app/widget for doing that? (Or is it an alternative launcher?)

Any other tips for good ways to utilise homescreen space? I feel like Sense isn't really taking advantage of my massive screen.
I don't know about Sense but in stock Android you can do shortcuts to any of your contacts that when pressed give you a direct link to anything associated with them (Phone, SMS, Talk, Navigate to, etc).

As for folders I'll let someone who uses them give you advice on that.

Alternative launchers are the best way to utilize homescreen space in my opinion (unless you're married to Sense widgets which won't work with alternative launchers). Most notably you can increase the grid size, gain a swipeable dock which would give you fifteen shortcuts, have swipe actions on those (for a total of thirty shortcuts in the dock alone), and also give you swipe actions for the screen itself. You can also add or subtract homescreens and customize icons for a cohesive look and feel.

You didn't mention whether you were on Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich but there are good alternative launchers for each all with mostly the same featuresets.

• Locked thread