Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
"No . . . I'm not talking to a loving hat."

Goddamn I love Andrea. If only they could have made her as awesome in the television show as she is in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah. I don't know what happened to the TV show. Well, I guess I realize that it's a lot easier to read an issue of nothing in ten minutes than it is to waste an hour (or the majority of a half season) on what essentially was that ten minutes.

So we're getting hints that a new outside group is spying on them. What's the over/under on them actually being a good group of survivors and Rick turning them away due to the bad experiences of the past?

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!

Schroedinger posted:

Goddamn I love Andrea. If only they could have made her as awesome in the television show as she is in the comic.

I agree. Andrea is my favorite character in the books, and least favorite on the show.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
all caught up.

I'm kind of torn. Half way through 90 I was thinking "man, I can't deal with this comic anymore..." and then by the end of 91 I was thinking "hm, this could get interesting!"

unfortunately, I'm going to assume that I'll be let down and it will go back to "man, I can't deal with this comic anymore..."

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Just read #92, and I must say, probably the first interesting one in a very long time.

Going to be interesting to see how well The Group can interact with the other survivors, massing in numbers of hundreds? For the first time in god knows how long I'm actually looking forward to the next number!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
hopefully it actually turns into something.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Schroedinger posted:

Amen! I am looking forward to the next issue and really hope hey don't screw up the other communities.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ricks mentally unbalanced and I'm pretty sure Carl is dead and he's just gone batshit crazy, I went back and reread the issues and Carl didn't seem to interact with anyone but Rick. At least that's what I think.

I am actually excited to see this new turn, I was really getting tired of the enemy within style story lines and Rick's just endless moping.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hollis posted:

Ricks mentally unbalanced and I'm pretty sure Carl is dead and he's just gone batshit crazy, I went back and reread the issues and Carl didn't seem to interact with anyone but Rick. At least that's what I think.

I am actually excited to see this new turn, I was really getting tired of the enemy within style story lines and Rick's just endless moping.

Pretty sure the doctor has interacted with Carl quite a bit. She's been cleaning his wound since Rick can't stomach looking at it. Also I believe Andrea has checked in on him from time to time.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

After all the death I think Carl's would be the one that would bring out real tears. Michonne and Carl are my two favorites.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
A 7 page preview for the new issue is up.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/01/issue-93-sneak-peek.php

I wonder why I even read these previews anymore. It's torture enough to be month by month on this book. And every time I pick it up I wonder why the gently caress I still bother.

I'm pretty much to the point of wanting Rick dead again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm interested in the new story line but Issue 93 was a large piece of poo poo.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Bonzo posted:

I'm interested in the new story line but Issue 93 was a large piece of poo poo.
Agreed. Do we know how many issues this arc is going to take yet?

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah it was super disappointing. I miss the action from the past.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
In one of the more recent letter hacks didn't Kirkman mention that issue 93 was a BIG one and he can't wait for us to read it? Cause what the gently caress? This comic isn't going anywhere. If all we can look forward to is the ends of issues getting our hopes up for the next issue MAYBE going somewhere, then why do we bother?

That being said, I will be picking up the next issue because I'm a giant loving tool.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Maybe issue 100 will be the last.

Seriously the end is the ONLY thing I feel there is to look forward to.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

Maybe issue 100 will be the last.

Seriously the end is the ONLY thing I feel there is to look forward to.

I don't see it ending as long as the show is on the air.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is probably a billion years too late to even talk about this but I think the series would suffer a lot less from "who the gently caress is that guy" and "I totally forgot about that guy" if Adler was better at drawing faces. Like the guy's not an awful artist but everyone's faces are just kind of indistinct messes in half the panels. It's not quite on the level of someone like Steve Dillon who can pretty much only draw one face, but in a comic with a huge cast, no colors and muted character designs (no one wears a mask or has a hippo-head for a face) it can get pretty darn troublesome telling people apart.

Of course Kirkman is pretty bad at remembering his own cast himself, focusing wayyy too heavily on the central characters most of the time. Like about half the character deaths in the comic seem to happen to characters who haven't done anything for 8 issues or so, like he went "oh poo poo I totally forgot this character existed, better kill them off before I forget about them again". I also wish he'd stop teasing that he's going to kill Rick because he so isn't. He's made no effort to build up anyone else as anything close to a protagonist, I'm not sure how the story could even keep going without Rick.

But ah, I bitch, but I still read every issue. I just love the idea of a traditional zombie film that never truly ends.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

He can not draw black people

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
The 6th teaser up on skybound for the arc that will lead to issue 100 apparently has people screaming 'Daryl Dixon'.

http://www.skybound.com/skybound/2012/2/9/teaser-6-something-to-fear.html

I think that's unlikely, and if it were true would be sort of indicative of the coming of the end for the comics (as Kirkman would be all but admitting he can't do the show and comic at the same time). But I can't for the life of me predict where this IS going. I was inclined to believe this Jesus guy was telling the truth, as it served to highlight Rick's paranoia. Now I'm thinking either A) The Hilltop is basically just Woodbury all over again with the bloody dudes on the preview covers as the new antagonists.. I guess Rick then was right to be overly cautious or B) I don't even know, The Hilltop and other communities of D.C. are at war with each other or something external? Those could be The Hilltop's soldiers in the previews perhaps. Maybe this plot line could set up Rick to try and take control of a larger survivor community.

I threw up some spoilers as I remembered that 94 only came out today.

I'd really prefer a B scenario, which I think is more likely anyway. It seems like the time of tense action-driven Walking Dead is over, and Kirkman is focusing on survival-strategy and political centered plots. What do you nerds think?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought it was particularly interesting that Rick commented on how killing zombies felt more like a job than anything scary.

It would be great to see this whole thing wrap up in 100. Introducing a new not-crazy settlement could be the happiest ending possible. Having Rick too-crazy for Good Town could also be a plausible issue 100 ending.

poo poo, who am I kidding? Rick is going to be fighting those Something to Fear dudes in a gladiator pit until issue 102. There's no way they're going to end this while the series is on AMC.
:(

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

It would be nice to just have a clean end. Not go on forever and have Crazy Rick keep being crazy. Give that kid a decent life if possible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there anything solid about what Fear Itself is? I kind of hate teasers at this point in my life.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The new Playboy has a six page Walking Dead comic. I dunno if it exclusive to the magazine but I don't think I've ever seen or heard of it. Just a flashback to Michonne during the first days of the zombie outbreak. Kinda cool little suprise amongst all of the great articles that I was reading.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jesus Rick, you can't meet any new people without killing at least one of them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This is the first time in a long time that I actually laughed after reading a comic. And not in a good way.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

Ebjan posted:

It would be nice to just have a clean end. Not go on forever and have Crazy Rick keep being crazy. Give that kid a decent life if possible.

I just envision rick slowly become the boogieman of the large survivor groups to the point where children are more frightened of the stories their parents tell them about Rick than they are the walkers.

Plus Carl will never have a decent life, because (at least how I see it) the only way the series could end is with Carl killing Rick after his dad finally loses it completely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Having just read issues 1-95 over the past week, I have to say I am quite happy how the story is; of course now that I'm on the "as they come out" basis I will get tired of filler issues soon enough.

I did enjoy issue 95 quite a bit though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know if this issue took me more than two or three minutes to read.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Soonmot posted:

I don't even know if this issue took me more than two or three minutes to read.
Same here. Lately (and especially with this one) I've finished an issue and think, "Did I really just pay for that?"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

foxatee posted:

Same here. Lately (and especially with this one) I've finished an issue and think, "Did I really just pay for that?"

I get the feeling they are stretching out a rather thin story line in order to hit 100. It felt very forced that hey had to throw in one walker for them to kill

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It just now occurred to me that we probably haven't seen Compendium 2 because it would be silly to make Compendium 3 six issues long and 1/4" thick. (Assuming this wraps up at 100.)

But poo poo, he has five issues to kill everybody off and I think he's lost the taste for it. I mean, ugh Carl.

Was this issue the first use of "undead"? That's the closest to the z-word they have ever come.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
They call them zombies once early on in the series, but then never again.

(I just read the first compendium and remember that sticking out)

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
I don't understand all the hate on the comic. I have literally no complaints and I could sit and reread the entire series start to finish right now and re-love every minute of it. If you don't like the story, or whatever, why read it. I hope they don't stop the series for at least another 10 years.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

moths posted:

It just now occurred to me that we probably haven't seen Compendium 2 because it would be silly to make Compendium 3 six issues long and 1/4" thick. (Assuming this wraps up at 100.)

That's a hell of an assumption, given there has been no indication that this would be the case. Although everyone dying in an unannounced final issue could be neat, I guess.

Edit: Actually, I just found this: http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-04-12/The-Walking-Dead-100th-issue-cover/54188448/1

USA Today posted:

Issue 100 falls right in the "dead center" of what he calls the "craziest" story arc so far in the comic series, a bloody affair that finds Rick and his group of survivors thriving in a (seemingly) safe community, much like they did at the prison — a place of refuge that was hinted at during the second season finale of the Walking Dead TV series.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 30, 2012

Caufman
May 7, 2007

goodfuldead posted:

I don't understand all the hate on the comic. I have literally no complaints and I could sit and reread the entire series start to finish right now and re-love every minute of it. If you don't like the story, or whatever, why read it. I hope they don't stop the series for at least another 10 years.

I'm still a big fan of the series, but I have to admit they've dipped a little in overall quality. Or maybe this series just hasn't been the same for me since Axel died, you follow?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just picked up the five latest comics and there was a neat upswing to them I thought. I love the change of pace and I hope that when they finally build a community they'll come face to face with a million zombie horde.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

goodfuldead posted:

I don't understand all the hate on the comic.

I love the comic, but Hilltop looks like a great and natural place to conclude this story. I'd rather see this wrap up tidy than drag out indefinitely and peter off into a parade of near-death experiences for Carl.

TWD has the potential to end here as one of the better all-time comics. I just don't think this story has enough steam left to power an ongoing series anymore. We're clearly in the third act, everyone loved the show, don't be afraid to drop the curtain when it's over.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There has to be some kind of swerve to the whole community of Jesus'.

Like that whole stabbing of their mayor was a set up so they could use Rick's group to take out some people they didn't like. I could be wrong and the community could legitimitely decent ... but nothing surprises you anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If that's the case I am going to be pissed that I wasted 96 issues reading about Rick's friends instead of these crafty motherfuckers.

• Locked thread