Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

duck monster posted:

Gimme. I'm trying to limit my kicksterter impulse spending (i'm a bit broke atm), but I've thrown you a tenner, because that poo poo looks fun. Try and bring it to mac if you can!

e: Make sure you spam that poo poo out to the indy gaming press, and you should probably go tout it on the goonfleet forums (is there still a goonfleet forums, I havent played eve in years?) because seriously dude theres a few thousand spacegame nerds who'd love that poo poo.

Its already on mac :ssh: the download is just below the windows one, and I have been sending press releases, but I don't want to over do and get put on a spammer list. If our supports want to send emails, I wont stop them obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

macnbc posted:

Their website is solid gold.

Ah yes 1 million uses, a conservative estimate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yodzilla posted:

Ah yes 1 million uses, a conservative estimate.

Conservatively, %0.01 of the planet will be playing my game that nobody's ever heard of from me, a person nobody's ever heard of who has never made a game before.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1354795482/battle-chess?ref=recently_launched

Hey, it's battle chess.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo the top two reward tiers on the Yogscast KS are sold out. 10 nerds pledged a combined $75,000.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I also like the whole "MMO from nothing to public beta in 8 months." Good luck with that, Millionaire Eggman.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Rook isn't a golem formed from a tower. That isn't Battle Chess at all. :saddowns:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GruntyThrst posted:

I also like the whole "MMO from nothing to public beta in 8 months." Good luck with that, Millionaire Eggman.

With the help of the Chaos Emeralds, anything is possible.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As far as I can tell, this game is still coming out regardless of funding.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I've set up a google dock to start organizing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdHhhNWxFVGd1VHpmWW9LcllObFhTb3c

if we get enough participants we will make the pledge, otherwise, no one has to send cash.

I'm not 100% sure but this appears to be read only?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

DBFT posted:

I'm not 100% sure but this appears to be read only?

doh, my bad, its fixed.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

LumberingTroll posted:

They have an interesting pledge tier that we as a community could take advantage of, if we get 50 people, which pitch in $50 each, we can all get alpha access and lifetime subscriptions... I am very interested in this, and would be willing to organize it if there is interest.

I've set up a google dock to start organizing. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmC3HKYxUU_fdHhhNWxFVGd1VHpmWW9LcllObFhTb3c

if we get enough participants we will make the pledge, otherwise, no one has to send cash.

I'm interested in contributing, but I will not make a pledge until I secure the necessary cash. I'm also very concerned about a Kickstarter project failing, considering that there is no "refund" process within the system.

I do know of a project that would probably want this middleware system though and I really am interested in these sorts of automated GMing systems. Then again, my interest has caused me to see two similar projects that collapsed horribly...which, again, makes me very concerned about this Kickstarter project failing horribly as well. The worst part is, one of those projects (StoryTron, made by Chris Crawford) actually managed to release a playable version...only for the back-end coding to be so complex that Chris decided to close down the project.

Servant fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 3, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Anyone who has given the Republique kickstarter a pass should probably take a 2nd look at it.

Not only have they expanded their original mobile-only plans to include PC/Mac, but today they announced that they've gotten David Hayter (Solid Snake), and Jennifer Hale (FemShep, 11 billion other characters) on-board.

I'm worried though because it's looking like it's going to be a tall order for them to hit their target.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

macnbc posted:

Anyone who has given the Republique kickstarter a pass should probably take a 2nd look at it.

Not only have they expanded their original mobile-only plans to include PC/Mac, but today they announced that they've gotten David Hayter (Solid Snake), and Jennifer Hale (FemShep, 11 billion other characters) on-board.

I'm worried though because it's looking like it's going to be a tall order for them to hit their target.

Seems like they made their already overly-ambitious and costly iOS game into an even more ambitious and costly multiplatform game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I thought they already had a VA for the main female protagonist, are they just going to oust her or something? The other option is to put Hale to some minor role in which case it's a total waste of money and talent.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How is getting big name VAs a high priority at this point anyway?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How is getting big name VAs a high priority at this point anyway?

Name recognition = Visibility = Priority in getting more funding.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I guess you could see it that way. I lean more towards flailing around for something that will raise them more than $300,000 in a week's time. It isn't charitable, but their Kickstarter has been a mess from the beginning. As I see it announcing the PC/Mac version was a desperation move after their Kickstarter had stalled for over a week. Maybe I'm overly harsh, but I don't see much reason to support Republique. Especially since it is another project based around giving them money up-front to prove there is an interest for their game when they approach big investors, I strongly dislike this type of Kickstarter. They have committed themselves to what they call a AAA game with mo-cap and top-tier voice actors, and is going to be backed mostly by investors. Personally I see it as a waste of my money, let the investors they plan to work with anyway pay their costs, or maybe they could have tried something less ambitious for their first time out.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 3, 2012

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

macnbc posted:

Their website is solid gold.
It's wonderful.

Your World Executive Summary posted:

We will sell a collector’s edition (physical copy) with in game perks for $49.99 (which is $20 to $30 below market value)

We define our market as Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPG). These are online games that have 1000s of users playing together on the same server. The total market size was approximately $1.5 billion in 2011, and is expected to grow by 5% in 2012. We believe we can capture 25% of it by 2014.

Competition

We anticipate new companies to enter this market at a rate of 2 per year.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

Can you even play balance an MMO in 8 months? One that's already feature complete?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

duck monster posted:

But theres plenty of australian kickstarter projects? Why do you think you can't do australian projects on kickstarter?

e: Ahh.... theres a rule about it. I wonder why there are so many australian projects on there then? Weird.

e2: By the way http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald looks awesome.

You can open a Kickstarter from anywhere in the world. However, you're completely hosed if you don't have a friend with an Amazon payments account, which is US only.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Holy poo poo yes! :neckbeard: All these Kickstarters aiming straight for my nostalgia bone, wow, how do they even manage to dig up all these ancient licenses?

(also thank gawd this one will take one month or I'd go broke)

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

They have an interesting pledge tier that we as a community could take advantage of, if we get 50 people, which pitch in $50 each, we can all get alpha access and lifetime subscriptions... I am very interested in this, and would be willing to organize it if there is interest.

I'm very intrigued by this. Storybricks sounds pretty cool but I'm also a little confused. Will it end up being sorta like Neverwinter Nights, i.e. potentially a huge base for user-created content but no real way to port that content to anything else(and good luck making it look pretty)?

From what I can tell it seems like it's a different approach to the end goal of populating NPC towns with sandbox environments, which sounds incredible, but I'm not sure exactly how useful that'll really be.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yodzilla posted:

Since he's said it's going to be released regardless of how the Kickstarer goes I can't wait to see how the project unfolds.

Much like the bottom of his stomach, it will never see the light of day

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

lordfrikk posted:

I thought they already had a VA for the main female protagonist, are they just going to oust her or something? The other option is to put Hale to some minor role in which case it's a total waste of money and talent.

Sounds like she's a secondary character, not minor but definately not the protagonist. It also sounds like he's cashing in on some friendships to get names attached to the game. Hayter in particular sounded like he was just doing this as the guy's buddy than in the work.

That said, I'm actually sort of interested in the project. It's over-reaching by a lot, but it's still a really cool concept.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

LumberingTroll posted:

That is an awesome idea and I'm down. I don't really have the time to make a thread for it and evangelize in proper Quarex fashion, but I think that's a really good idea, too. We can probably pull in some traditional games goons as well.

Between the uniqueness of the Storybricks idea itself and the endorsements from people who actually know these guys, I think this is worth the risks (and the cash). It's truly contributing to a completely new idea, and I'm sure they'll turn out something interesting, even if it's not perfect. That's usually how new ideas go anyway - someone makes something interesting, but flawed, and then other people build on it. It's admirable that these guys are aiming for exactly that, hoping other people will build on their idea to make even better things.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

macnbc posted:

\today they announced that they've gotten David Hayter (Solid Snake)

"This is the end of privacy as we know it!"

:madmax: "UNBELIEVABLE"

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The pebble e-watch is up to $8,403,181 in funds now. $115 of that is mine :shobon: (it's the watch of my dreams).

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot

NINbuntu 64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgilq-ryLvo

Yogeventures posted another update and, honestly? I'm not regretting having sent them some money because even in this very early state it's got some of the base elements of the features they were talking about. It's miles away from being an actual game and it STILL bothers me that they're using the default Unity 3D third-person character controller and I almost want to send them the character controller I wrote myself with the license being "stop using the loving default character controller."

It's nice that there are constant updates about the progress though and it's shaping up nicely instead of like babby's first Unity game.

The game looks interesting (In that it looks like a better minecraft without the world's laziest snake-oil salesman at the helm) but I'm wary of pledging given that it is being run by two guys who have no experience in developing a game. What are the general thoughts on yogventures?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Quodio Stotes posted:

The game looks interesting (In that it looks like a better minecraft without the world's laziest snake-oil salesman at the helm) but I'm wary of pledging given that it is being run by two guys who have no experience in developing a game. What are the general thoughts on yogventures?

I don't know much about it but I think it would be a much better game without those two incredibly irritating narrators. I like the sandbox elements but I'm not sure I want to play a game that features those awful voices so heavily.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

the black husserl posted:

I don't know much about it but I think it would be a much better game without those two incredibly irritating narrators. I like the sandbox elements but I'm not sure I want to play a game that features those awful voices so heavily.

Really? Presumably the Yogscast will have some voice acting in the game, potentially even major parts, but how did you make the logical jump from "these guys are talking about a game in a video" to "these voices are going to be so central to the game that I'll probably have to avoid it"?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Quodio Stotes posted:

You pretty much already summarized the general thoughts on the game.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

the black husserl posted:

Five people pledged ten thousand dollars to meet these people. Let that sink in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
And they are goons, thus probably reading this thread. :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

seorin posted:

That is an awesome idea and I'm down. I don't really have the time to make a thread for it and evangelize in proper Quarex fashion, but I think that's a really good idea, too. We can probably pull in some traditional games goons as well.

Between the uniqueness of the Storybricks idea itself and the endorsements from people who actually know these guys, I think this is worth the risks (and the cash). It's truly contributing to a completely new idea, and I'm sure they'll turn out something interesting, even if it's not perfect. That's usually how new ideas go anyway - someone makes something interesting, but flawed, and then other people build on it. It's admirable that these guys are aiming for exactly that, hoping other people will build on their idea to make even better things.

Maybe my brain is fried from thesis work but I've read the Storybricks KS page twice now and I still can't figure out what it actually is. A set of tools for game developers? A user-editable MMO? A campaign-building toolkit with sample game a la NWN?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

*Wallet come flying out of pocket and crashing into the monitor*

gently caress yeah, I loved battle chess.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Quodio Stotes posted:

As far as I can tell, simon and lewis (goons, btw, yogs = ye olde goon squad) are really neat guys, but won't be doing much other than just being "producers" (Ie they'll own the game and have ordered it), but its winterkewl directing and putting it together. From my understanding its a smallish studio with some folks who come from the industry in a minor way. However its been mentioned that since they are now basically drowning in cash they can hire some proper game project management and more talent, so it seems the game is in good hands. A few industry pros with a good eye ought clean up some of the amateurism in the unity builds we've seen so far.

Honestly I dont mind simon and lewis narating. Simon can be sidesplittingly funny when he's on a roll.

The yogscast fanbase however I suspect are largely kids. Which I'm comfortable with as a target demographic for the game. Minecraft is basically just a lego set for overgrown manchildren itself.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe my brain is fried from thesis work but I've read the Storybricks KS page twice now and I still can't figure out what it actually is. A set of tools for game developers? A user-editable MMO? A campaign-building toolkit with sample game a la NWN?

As fas as I understood it, yes it's like the NWN toolkit but with a lot more options and even more build towards it without as much as the pretension of having an actual existing campaign in there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Fake. Phone. Call.

Battle Chess was pretty ownage. I wonder if the charm holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
Republique did really well yesterday:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan/