Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The slot is more for one of the defenseman as well as the center. The center has a bit more free reign, and should be going into corners and such. That was a pretty lazy effort by Danny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Actually looking at that, JVR (I think) came in and picked up Zajac as he carried the puck across the slot but then completely gave up on him

Briere could probably have done more to pick up Gionta though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

shyguy posted:

Every Flyer played like complete loving poo poo in the 3rd fwiw

...and I thank them for it. :devil:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
JVR and Briere were responsible for Larsson's first goal too. http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/5/2/2993848/flyers-vs-devils-game-2-adam-larsson-goal-video

JVR and Danny B, What's Defense?!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That's pretty much what I had noticed right away, that Danny left the zone early without his team having control. They paid for it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
He should have seen that open ice next to the net and moved into it.

On the other hand both defensemen got caught up, one behind the net, Grossman (i think) followed his man across the crease.

Had Briere dropped down then the point man would have been wide open to cheat down into the slot and gotten a clean shot off too.

Cant blame the goal on Briere.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

So I've been starting my work on stopping with one foot. As I stop though, I want to do something with my trailing (rear) foot. What should I do with it? :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

So I've been starting my work on stopping with one foot. As I stop though, I want to do something with my trailing (rear) foot. What should I do with it? :confused:

Honestly couldn't tell you, because I don't remember what my trailing foot did when I was doing one foot stops. :haw:

But I think in general you start out with holding it parallel with your direction of travel and use it for balance. Eventually your body will want you to turn it into the stop, because as your main foot gets better at stopping, you'll be turning your hips more into the stop.. eventually the trailing foot is going to have to follow.

Once you start feeling that you can begin experimenting with putting some amount of your weight on the trailing foot. You don't want to put too much weight though, or the edge will catch and send you flying. It takes time to figure out all the angles and weight the edge can take. In general, the more vertical the skate is, the more weight you can put on it and still slide.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I know we already discussed black vs. white tape, but...

How do you guys feel about the new trend of white stick? I think it's very intriguing...so intriguing, I spray-painted my backup stick...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Uh, white stick?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Players have began to spray paint their sticks white as well as some manufactuers making white sticks because supposedly it makes the stick blend in with the ice, making it harder on goalies.

It's probably just a fad.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I bet it goes well with a tinted visor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goalies are really going to be in trouble when they finally invent transparent aluminium.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
So what happens when they tape their stick with black tape?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Goalies are really going to be in trouble when they finally invent transparent aluminium.

Single crystal sticks mere microns thick. Also requiring astronomical amounts of force to flex.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

So what happens when they tape their stick with black tape?
My god. They'll be invincible.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
For those who play in a men's league: how much will you pay for a pair of skates? I'm thinking of buying a new pair and I was wondering if it's worth it to spend over $300. I tried a pair of RBK 17Ks that fit and felt awesome, and were marked down to $399 from $699 because they're last season's model. So tempted to pick them up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It definitely is, and you're doing it the right way. This is always the best time of year to buy equipment since they clear out all the 2011 stuff.

Skates are the most important piece of equipment, by far, no matter what your skill level.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

General consensus is anything under $250 is junk that isn't worth the box they come in. Other than that, you want to spend as much as you can budget for. By the time the skates hit the $700 mark, they're pretty solidly in "pro" territory.

The only potential downside is if you're a new skater the boot might be too stiff for you to make full use of, and there could be a long break-in period.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Spray-painting your stick white is silly. (also, black tape forever)

As far as skates go, I feel that it is definitely worth buying a good pair of skates and not being cheap about it. Those skates should last you at least 10 years, probably twice that long. A worthwhile investment, and as someone mentioned, cheap skates are junk and will just cause you enough pain that you will regret your decision and buy a better pair as soon as possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My pair of skates lasted 12 years or so before the toe caps cracked in half and i was basically playing games with open toed shoes. No one said they could fix them.

The difference in upgrading from 12 year old skates to high level skates of today was incredible. Much better to do that than seeing incremental updates every few seasons in low to mid level skates. And cheaper in the long run.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Why spray paint your stick when the Mako is out?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I saw a dude who had spray painted his stick a few months ago, I just assumed it was to match his all-white Warrior gloves.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

sellouts posted:

My pair of skates lasted 12 years or so before the toe caps cracked in half and i was basically playing games with open toed shoes. No one said they could fix them.

The difference in upgrading from 12 year old skates to high level skates of today was incredible. Much better to do that than seeing incremental updates every few seasons in low to mid level skates. And cheaper in the long run.

My skates are 8 years old at this point. Your post has me really excited when I need to purchase new skates in the next decade.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Surfing Turtle posted:

Why spray paint your stick when the Mako is out?

Speaking of... Anyone use it yet? I'm in the market for a 2nd shaft/blade combo and I saw this was an option. I currently use the Bauer APX with a PM9 X:60 blade and I love the poo poo out of it. Instead of just grabbing a second APX as a 'backup' I figured I'd check out the new stick releases as well

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

lazerwolf posted:

Speaking of... Anyone use it yet? I'm in the market for a 2nd shaft/blade combo and I saw this was an option. I currently use the Bauer APX with a PM9 X:60 blade and I love the poo poo out of it. Instead of just grabbing a second APX as a 'backup' I figured I'd check out the new stick releases as well

A guy on my roller team has it. I didn't shoot with it or anything but it's ultra light...way lighter than my EQ50. It was flexy as gently caress too and I use a 75!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Makos are ugly.

Stealths, on the other hand :gizz:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

lazerwolf posted:

One of the guys I chat with at pickup had tried one out. He hated it and sold it last week. He switched from a stealth rs and said the mako had no feel at all.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

You use the same stick combo that I do. It's the best bang for the buck I've found.

Also, does anybody use wood end plugs on their sticks? I have plugs cut down to 1/2" and I feel like they help give my sticks a more solid feel.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 4, 2012

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

shyguy posted:

You use the same stick combo that I do. It's the best bang for the buck I've found.

Also, does anybody use wood end plugs on their sticks? I have plugs cut down to 1/2" and I feel like they help give my sticks a more solid feel.

Agreed! It is like $60 cheaper than the one piece APX and easier to replace if parts break. Is there really a big difference between the two piece versus the one piece?

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Hockey Monkey is having a 20% off sale with the coupon code SPRING2012 on certain items. I just picked up 3 Warrior Dolomites for $88 each. Love these sticks.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/spring-cleaning-sale.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I bought my pads today at the pro shop. They were charging about as much as the prices on Ice Warehouse, at least after the discount I got for buying so much from 'em.

Bauer 4500 w/cage Helmet
CCM V04 Glove
Bauer One60 Elbow Pad
Bauer One40 Shoulder Pad
Bauer X40 Pants
Bauer X30 Shin Guards
Sherwood 5030 Stick

Based on my estimates, I ended up spending only about $50 dollars more than I expected to so I'm p happy. All I gotta do now is get myself a cup at walmart and I'm set. SO EXCITED!

As an aside, I have to say I love Bauer for not making me feel like a fat head for once. I didn't have to wear their XL!! As someone who wears size 8 hats (and they look like yarmulkes), I was dubious when the clerk told me that usually the Bauers run big and lo and behold the L fit (all the way extended, but fit well!). :)

xzzy posted:

General consensus is anything under $250 is junk that isn't worth the box they come in.

rut roh... :smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

General consensus is anything under $250 is junk that isn't worth the box they come in.

Yeah I don't really agree with this and it seems like the hockey version of the princess and the pea. I would suggest that people avoid the bottom of the barrel $100 skates because they generally lack a lot of support and comfort, but if you shop around its easy to find a good pair of $150-250 skates that will feel leaps and bounds better than a skate that was even just $50 cheaper. I would say that comfort and support should be the primary factors in buying a skate.

I think the median skate price has skyrocketed now that every company is having a dick waving contest with who can produce the most expensive skate on the market even though modern materials are significantly cheaper and easier to produce resulting in more comfortable skates. The only people I ever seem to hear really talking about their $500 skates are people who think that spending more than a professionals will make them better. My brother in law is an AHL/NHL defenseman and he uses Bauer x6s because he claims that they last longer and feel better than the APX.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

I used to use Bauer sticks, but really, really disliked the Vapor line through the X:60 (too light - no blade feel whatsoever. But I did like the high-end Supreme sticks.)

Picked up an S19 on sale and never looked back from Easton. The Stealth RS was an improvement over that in basically every way - best balance, feel, and consistency that I'd had.

Then picked up a Mako. Very similar. To me it seems a little quicker on the release - maybe the Stealth has a little more power. But as far as weight, balance, feel... RS and Mako are just about the same.

(Yes, I've got a problem with hockey stick purchases, but I'm done with that.)

Is the white stick snake oil? Probably - in fact it messed me up a few times when I just lost track of the stick in my periphery - but you get used to it.

I think your Bauer PM9 (basically an average, mid, closed curve with a ~5 lie?) would translate into the Cammalleri curve - P4.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah it is the same curve 100%.

I did something the other day that I haven't done since I was a kid: went on the ice with my soakers on :smith:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 5, 2012

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

shyguy posted:

Yeah it is the same curve 100%.

I did something the other day that I haven't done since I was a kid: went on the ice with my soakers on :smith:

Did you immediately flop onto the ice?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah, luckily nobody saw me do it. That's sure a startling feeling though. Both my feet just slid out and I landed on my side.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

shyguy posted:

Yeah, luckily nobody saw me do it. That's sure a startling feeling though. Both my feet just slid out and I landed on my side.

I did that the first time I ever went out to a stick and puck when I started playing. I had been skating a lot but worrying about getting all my gear on right had me distracted. My first thought after I wiped out but before I realized what I did was "Oh man, this hockey thing is harder than I thought!"

e: I know we talked about TRON sticks at some point in the past. I was at the pro shop today and they had some of these: http://www.hockeytron.com/tr156.html and holy poo poo was the feel terrible. The balance was awful and it felt like there were weights in the blade or something.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 5, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We had a game today and we only had seven skaters and no goalie so three guys from the other team joined our team and we just messed around because it was preseason anyways. I played center and D during the "game" because those are positions I never play and it was fun trying something new knowing that I could mess up and nobody would care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Finally committed to a jersey number and I went to the pro shop to get it done today. Ended up walking out with a new pair of gloves too... I swear hockey gear is like crack or something.