Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

GetWellGamers posted:

:arghfist::smith:

I'm still in pretty regular contact with the obsidian people, but I thought their internships were only for active students? I remember hearing something about "If you can't receive class credit for the internship you're not even in the running."

"(Senior year student or Graduate preferred)"

I would think I would be fine, I did graduate. it was at least worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Is Obsidian taking people on again? I mean interns or otherwise. I seem to recall hearing they were in a bit of a financial pickle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah interns. When you cant afford paid staff. :smith:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Ah interns. When you cant afford paid staff. :smith:

Real interns don't do it for free. :smug:

Frown Town posted:

My studio (Baltimore - social games) is looking for 2D/3D artists and I think we pay pretty well for the area. I e-stalked you a little bit and I think you'd have a drat good shot at a full time position here, probably as a mid-level artist. I dig your portfolio.
We're working on a real time 3D Facebook game (so a lot of low poly things with painted diffuse maps).

Hit me up if you're interested~

Wow, thanks! I'm not exactly looking for work at the moment... Things are in a weird transition point for me at my current place, but I would love to check out your studio if you want to pm me or email me the name and such. Thanks a ton for looking at my stuff, I'm always glad to get eyes on my portfolio.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 3, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
No matter how many times it happens, it's still so weird meeting goons in real life.

Hi Sigma! :reject:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

No matter how many times it happens, it's still so weird meeting goons in real life.

Sup brah :v:

I need to get away from Frank, I've gone twice and he wants to pal around all the time and I haven't been schmoozing enough to meet new folks. He kind of barnacles on and then if I'm like "hey let's go mingle a bit" he immediately walks over to a group of students and introduces us to them. :sigh:

I like helping students, I really do, but I want to meet actual developers with whom I share a bit more in common than hear another student stick their foot in their mouth about The State of The Games Industry.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

GetWellGamers posted:

I don't think I'll ever get used to it. I'll also probably never see how my business card is an "artist" card but oh well :v:

Slurps Mad Rips fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 3, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

I like helping students, I really do, but I want to meet actual developers with whom I share a bit more in common than hear another student stick their foot in their mouth about The State of The Games Industry.
But it's so charming. At an IGDA meeting once a student came over and interrupted our chat to lecture us on how using analytics is bad and it's ruining games.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

FreakyZoid posted:

But it's so charming. At an IGDA meeting once a student came over and interrupted our chat to lecture us on how using analytics is bad and it's ruining games.

I get the strangest feeling it's the same person who did that on here and on GameDev.net a while back too.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Most likely. Like don't' get me wrong, I do enjoy when someone gives a perspective on what they think bout the industry. Even when they are dead loving drop wrong.

I still need to go to GDC one of these days. I was planning to go last year, (when I was still a student) but I got caught up in stuff.

triggerpappy
Mar 29, 2010
Arenanet just posted a few jobs a mix of a few things recently (artist, programmer, QA)
http://www.arena.net/jobs/

Its not really a paid job but I run fragworld.org a gaming organization and gaming media site run by volunteer gamers. We have had a few of our staff recently hired by Industry so have some positions open. Here is a list

You get to cover conventions as media, interact and network with developers but most of all cover your favorite games. There are some other perks and we have a great relationship with all the studios and publishers so if you want to go Industry full time its a good stepping stone. You can apply here

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

FreakyZoid posted:

It's all fun and games until you politely try to escape and he literally follows you into the bathroom, continuing his rant while standing directly behind you at the urinal.

(Austin GDC 2007)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Whaaaaat :aaa:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

You should have turned around without stopping your flow, and debated with him while pissing on his shoes.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

FreakyZoid posted:

You should have turned around without stopping your flow, and debated with him while pissing on his shoes.

I'd pay money to see that.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
His argument was working its way towards "all western games are bad because they aren't Final Fantasy VII", so that probably would have been the best response.

The worst part is that I wasn't even the one who attracted the dude in the first place. My buddy was off talking with someone else, and then this guy overheard their conversation and latched onto him, so my buddy introduced him to me and then loving BOLTED with a big poo poo-eating grin on his face. I was ready to murder him at first, but... I eventually got rid of the guy the same way.

I'd like to think the cycle kept up, with him being dumped onto unsuspecting acquaintances throughout GDC. Networking!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Mobile folks - does anyone happen to know what rough level of desktop hardware matches the power of an iPad 3 / current gen mobile devices? That is, if your game is optimized well for iPad 3, then ignoring per-machine quirks and obvious tweaks like needing slightly different shaders for desktop, your game would probably run on a ... ?

Basically, I find myself wondering if there would still be a need to target an even lower min-spec for PC-side, or if desktop hardware is further enough along as to make that largely irrelevant.

triggerpappy
Mar 29, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Mobile folks - does anyone happen to know what rough level of desktop hardware matches the power of an iPad 3 / current gen mobile devices? That is, if your game is optimized well for iPad 3, then ignoring per-machine quirks and obvious tweaks like needing slightly different shaders for desktop, your game would probably run on a ... ?

Basically, I find myself wondering if there would still be a need to target an even lower min-spec for PC-side, or if desktop hardware is further enough along as to make that largely irrelevant.

That's really engine and code dependent. Sometimes the processing power can be fine but graphics and compatibility affect performance. If your talking straight benchmarks tom's has a good article here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156-6.html

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

triggerpappy posted:

That's really engine and code dependent. Sometimes the processing power can be fine but graphics and compatibility affect performance. If your talking straight benchmarks tom's has a good article here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156-6.html
Should have mentioned - I'm curious specifically about Unity 3D, but honestly, I'm curious to hear any multiplatform experience on peformance comparisons. I realize it's engine dependent to a point, but you can still often arrive at generalities.

EDIT: Oh hey, looks like I'm speaking on a panel at (Denver) ComiCon in June. I'll be around, assumedly, so if anyone's headed out that way and wants to do lunch, you should like totally have your people get with my people. Except I have no people, so probably just PM me and stuff.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 3, 2012

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I forgot Obsidian prefers local people when looking for interns :doh: well hopefully I will be in their thoughts for any future similar positions.

EDIT: Oh hey a Von Church guy just called me to get some info, and he said he was gonna look around for me

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 4, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Should have mentioned - I'm curious specifically about Unity 3D, but honestly, I'm curious to hear any multiplatform experience on peformance comparisons. I realize it's engine dependent to a point, but you can still often arrive at generalities.

EDIT: Oh hey, looks like I'm speaking on a panel at (Denver) ComiCon in June. I'll be around, assumedly, so if anyone's headed out that way and wants to do lunch, you should like totally have your people get with my people. Except I have no people, so probably just PM me and stuff.

This answer is a bit dependent on what kind of game you're shooting for, to be honest.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I just spoke on a panel!

At the local library :v: To some highschool age kids about who we are and what we do. It was a lot of fun! Handed out some swag, and hopefully didn't scare all of them away from making games.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

hopefully didn't scare all of them away from making games.

Only if you lied through your teeth about our industry. :v:

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I had a rather different experience at the Beer Wednesday I went to. I walked up to the populated table in the back area and said "Hi! Is this the Beer Wednesday group? Game developers?" and everyone just silently stared at me and my friends. That sort of used up all my meager confidence so I said "Well! Let's get a sandwich then" and we sat down at an empty table. Then a couple of guys took turns talking to my one friend (former Obsidian dev) while completely ignoring me and my other friend, not even introducing themselves or responding when I tried to speak. More people trickled to the other tables as we ate our dinner but I always feel awkward trying to bust into groups with a "HI TALK TO ME NOW". Guess I should have worn a game company shirt.

I'll go again sometime but will make sure my more social friend who knows more people comes along...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Etheldreda posted:

I had a rather different experience at the Beer Wednesday I went to. I walked up to the populated table in the back area and said "Hi! Is this the Beer Wednesday group? Game developers?" and everyone just silently stared at me and my friends. That sort of used up all my meager confidence so I said "Well! Let's get a sandwich then" and we sat down at an empty table. Then a couple of guys took turns talking to my one friend (former Obsidian dev) while completely ignoring me and my other friend, not even introducing themselves or responding when I tried to speak. More people trickled to the other tables as we ate our dinner but I always feel awkward trying to bust into groups with a "HI TALK TO ME NOW". Guess I should have worn a game company shirt.

I'll go again sometime but will make sure my more social friend who knows more people comes along...
Wait, so they were other developers? And were just massive dicks? Nice.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Etheldreda posted:

Was this the OC beer wednesday? You said Obsidian.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

There was a large table of interlopers- non Beer Wednesday people- at this week's patio. Normally people get the hint in a short amount of time, but those guys were there being loud and obnoxious the whole time, so I think you might've tried to introduce yourself at their table.

Did you introduce yourself to Jim and Dino, at least? And you were on the patio, not the back of the restaurant, right?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I hope to go to OC Beer soon, probably with Sigma. I'm still without a second vehicle but that should be getting remedied next week.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Just a reminder that SA GameDev VII is almost here. Wooo :keke:.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Was this the OC beer wednesday? You said Obsidian.

Yeah, it wasn't this week though. It was a couple of weeks ago.
We did talk to Jim, though I found it offputting that he wandered up, didn't look at me or my other friend and just talked to George for 20 minutes.

I have since been informed that we probably frightened some of the gentlemen due to us being female. I will do better next time :P

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Shalinor posted:

HOT DIGGITY DOG!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Shalinor posted:

Oh boy I wonder what the theme is this time. I wonder if my previous teammates have time to participate this time around... They're graduating this quarter and which means they'll have more or less time...

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Shalinor posted:

(Since I don't want to put this in the big GameDev thread)

Double-checking the "recent events" log to make sure the spambots are gone, I find two of them, including this gem:

"To demand more bulk wiki article creation, please send bitcoins to *bitcoin wallet number* . To send threats, after ..."

Now I want to know where I should send threats! These people are at least trying to make my life easier :smith:

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Etheldreda posted:

I have since been informed that we probably frightened some of the gentlemen due to us being female. I will do better next time :P

I always find it hilarious (in a self-flagellating way) when a stereotype about the gaming industry turns out to be true.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

emoticon posted:

I always find it hilarious (in a self-flagellating way) when a stereotype about the gaming industry turns out to be true.

Funny, a (male) principal artist at the studio was telling me how painful/embarrassing it is that the games industry is dominated by men, and that, as a woman, I'm a particularly "useful marketing tool." (He was trying to convince me to go out and rep the studio at local colleges- with the hope that I'd inspire other women to consider games a viable career path)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
hahaha I find that hilarious. I mean it sucked for you Etheldreda, but at least now it was't because they were dicks.

They were goons. :v:

Oh, game dev thread? Hmm I might join this time, get my feet wet and try to see what I come up with.

edit: Is it cool, if the other person isn't from SA for the game dev challenge? He's a good friend of mine and we have been artist/program buddies for like 2 years now.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Frown Town posted:

Funny, a (male) principal artist at the studio was telling me how painful/embarrassing it is that the games industry is dominated by men, and that, as a woman, I'm a particularly "useful marketing tool." (He was trying to convince me to go out and rep the studio at local colleges- with the hope that I'd inspire other women to consider games a viable career path)
While his phrasing could have been... eugh... better, that is (part of) why I try and do speaking engagements, like the ComiCon thing.

I figure that even if I'm not the greatest public speaker, gently caress it, at least I'm not the average Dude Mc Beardly that people envision in games development. Maybe I can open some eyes, shift some assumptions. :unsmith:

Shindragon posted:

hahaha I find that hilarious. I mean it sucked for you Etheldreda, but at least now it was't because they were dicks.
No kidding. The story's way less horrible this way, now it's just kind of tragic for those guys :3:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 4, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Etheldreda posted:

:ughh:

...One of them didn't happen to be a really really tall dude with black hair in a white t-shirt, would it? Now that I know the prognosis might not be "Standoffishness" and might be "Woman-shy" I think I might know the table you're talking about...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What the gently caress? Way to play into the stereotype, you silly devnerds.

Shalinor posted:

at least I'm not the average Dude Mc Beardly that people envision in games development.
As a Dude McBeardly I am sorry to be doing the thing that I am lambasting above :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Shalinor posted:

UGH! I really had fun competing last time but now that I have a ~real games job~ I'm not sure I'll be able to muster up the enthusiasm to go back home after 8+ hours of programming and do more programming. Unless we have a ballin' theme and I come up with a ballin' idea in which case I'll gladly jump into it