Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

The Gunslinger posted:

There's two hardcover Red Country(1, 2) listed there from different publishers, one is 560 pages and the other is 640. I'm assuming the difference in page count is something like font size or whatever? Anyone know?
I was just assuming that page counts are just estimates or placeholders at this point, since the book is still going through the editing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

UncleMonkey posted:

I was just assuming that page counts are just estimates or placeholders at this point, since the book is still going through the editing process.

Ahh ok. Is it normal for a hardcover to have two different publishers in the same region? That's the thing that made me do a doubletake. All of my previous Abercrombie books were Orion so I guess I'll just order the Orion one.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
One seems to be UK and the other US according to the Publication city/country as well.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Looks like the new cover was released. I wish they had stayed with the old style with the map, coins and blood.

John Charity Spring posted:

That looks like it'd be the US cover. It's the same style as the US cover of The Heroes, and it quotes the Wall Street Journal.

Yea its the one from Orbit so that might be the case, Wouldn't the UK cover be released first though since it comes out in the UK a bit before the US?

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 5, 2012

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
That looks like it'd be the US cover. It's the same style as the US cover of The Heroes, and it quotes the Wall Street Journal.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.
One of my favorite things about Abercrombie's work is all the things you catch on re-readings. I'm finishing Argument up again, and Joe keeps harping on something that I can't ignore.

Last Argument / Best Served Cold: Jezal gives a wedding ring to Terez described as having "[an] enormous blood-red stone". I recall the ring given to Monza by Benna in BSC as being described very similarly.

Going to keep an eye out for any other hint of a connection, because damnit, I love these books.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Clinton1011 posted:

Yea its the one from Orbit so that might be the case, Wouldn't the UK cover be released first though since it comes out in the UK a bit before the US?

There's probably more... artistry going into the UK cover, if it's going to be the same style as BSC and The Heroes. Joe has confirmed that that's just the US cover on his blog, with the UK covers still to come.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Awesome that they put Logen on the cover. Maybe he'll run into demongirl from the trilogy.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

There's probably more... artistry going into the UK cover, if it's going to be the same style as BSC and The Heroes. Joe has confirmed that that's just the US cover on his blog, with the UK covers still to come.
Yeah, I posted a question in the comments thread of that post asking about the UK cover and he said in the comments that the UK cover will be in the same blade/blood/coins style as the other books. Which is the answer I was hoping for. I don't know what it is but I really dig those covers.

Peztopiary posted:

Awesome that they put Logen on the cover. Maybe he'll run into demongirl from the trilogy.
I would love a Logen/Ferro reunion. :3:

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

UncleMonkey posted:

I would love a Logen/Ferro reunion. :3:

Totally, I really liked those two broken-rear end people getting together and experiencing some real affection. Just, no more sex scenes with slurping noises please. That was a little much.

When he did it with the Jezal/Ardee, I thought he was making a point about how kind of twisted their relationship was, and it had a somewhat powerful effect on me, but after the second or third time I realized that's just how he writes a sex scene. I almost hope that he's got some point I'm missing, because as it is they're these uncomfortable moments that don't seem to add much to the story, and I'd just rather not read them.

Like I've got nothing against a sex scene, even if it is uncomfortably realistic, but if you're going to actually describe it I feel like it should have more to say than could be accomplished with a pan to the fireplace.

When I have sex I know there's just as much schlurping and stuff going on, but that's not what I hear while I'm in it, you know? So it makes reading them feel not only voyeuristic, but like I'm an alien watching the strange and gross mating rituals of a couple of bags of wet meat.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I'd say that I dislike Abercrombie's sex scenes, but I laughed way, way too hard at the fact that one of the most terrifyingly violent people in the world prematurely ejaculated. The whole awkwardness of Logen and Ferro sexual encounters was a great way to humanize both of them, at least for a while.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 15, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Ahahaha yeah I forgot about that, that was excellent.

I still think they were slightly creepy, but they were definitely a world better than the standard flowery description of how the virgin hero is an indefatigable sexpert who walks out triumphantly in a velvet robe as his concubine lays in a quivering puddle.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
The Logan/Ferro sex scene was one of the funniest things ever put to print, and intentionally so :colbert:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Just finished Best Served Cold, liked it but not as much as the trilogy. Felt really bad for Shivers by the end.

Now onto The Heroes!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mr.48 posted:

The Logan/Ferro sex scene was one of the funniest things ever put to print, and intentionally so :colbert:

I loved it, most fantasy sex scenes are awkward and gross unintentionally, Abercrombie just did it on purpose.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

tofes posted:

Just finished Best Served Cold, liked it but not as much as the trilogy. Felt really bad for Shivers by the end.

Now onto The Heroes!

You'll like the heroes. Its a return to the trilogy's setting and familiar characters. I think it's joes best work personally.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he's a lover.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I liked Best Served Cold's revenge plot more than the trilogy, but all were good. Here's some cover for a limited edition of the book:

Oh Monza Monza Monza.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Hondo82 posted:

I liked Best Served Cold's revenge plot more than the trilogy, but all were good. Here's some cover for a limited edition of the book:

Oh Monza Monza Monza.

I'm with you on BSC. The Trilogy was good but I think I fell in love with BSC. I didn't really care for The Heroes. I don't really care for the Northmen in general. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to more Logen Ninefingers.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neep posted:

I'm with you on BSC. The Trilogy was good but I think I fell in love with BSC. I didn't really care for The Heroes. I don't really care for the Northmen in general. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to more Logen Ninefingers.

To each his own, but the Northmen are easily one of the best parts in opinion. Case in point: "That is one loving beautiful ceiling."

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*
Wow, a fantasy cover I actually like. Is that a US or UK version?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

isochronous posted:

Wow, a fantasy cover I actually like. Is that a US or UK version?

Looks like that's the cover for the Subterranean Press edition.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fly Molo posted:

To each his own, but the Northmen are easily one of the best parts in opinion. Case in point: "That is one loving beautiful ceiling."

The Northmen come right after the Magi for me as the best part of the book...they repeat some of the poo poo but their culture and concept of honor and so on are great.

dyehead
Nov 28, 2008
I hope they get the guy to read the audiobook for Red Country that did TFL, he was pretty great (Steven Pacey).

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just re-read Best Served Cold this week. Enjoyed it much more the second time around. The first time I read it, I was traveling and so I could only fit a chapter in here or there, so it felt fragmented and disjointed. This time I was able to give it more complete attention and got a lot more out of it.

I think the reason I found it hard to follow the first time is that there are a lot of characters involved, and things are pretty fast-paced.

That said, noticing the second time around how Monza and Shivers basically swapped morality views as the book progressed was loving amazing.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

dyehead posted:

I hope they get the guy to read the audiobook for Red Country that did TFL, he was pretty great (Steven Pacey).

I really wish they would go back to Steven Pacey, Michael Page does a decent job and I liked him in a few other books that he was the narrator for but Steven Pacey did such an amazing job with the original trilogy. The fact that Michael was also the narrator for The Heroes doesn't give me hope though.

VVV Edit1: drat I need to find a way to buy the UK version of BSC and The Heroes now, a VNC might let me do that, failing that I might have to go the :filez: route

Edit 2: drat they are only 5.16 USD, why so much cheaper in the UK?

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 12, 2012

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Clinton1011 posted:

I really wish they would go back to Steven Pacey, Michael Page does a decent job and I liked him in a few other books that he was the narrator for but Steven Pacey did such an amazing job with the original trilogy. The fact that Michael was also the narrator for The Heroes doesn't give me hope though.

Good news!

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2012/02/23/the-heroes-read-by-steven-pacey/

The Steven Pacey Audiobooks of BSC and The Heroes are available in the UK. Abercrombie confirms that Red Country will be read by Pacey and will be available in UK and US regions.

Pacey is an excellent narrator, I listened to the First Law trilogy before I bought the books proper.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just started rereading the First Law Trilogy. I have all 5 books on my Kindle but snagged the trilogy in analog form and gave them to my brother to read for the summer.

He's hooked, the worst part is he doesn't even know how big of a oval office Bayaz is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Beastie posted:

I just started rereading the First Law Trilogy. I have all 5 books on my Kindle but snagged the trilogy in analog form and gave them to my brother to read for the summer.

He's hooked, the worst part is he doesn't even know how big of a oval office Bayaz is.

It's funny because early on you do understand that he's kind of a oval office but by the end you realize that he is such a total oval office that you need a new word to describe him. It goes from "Gandalf!" to "...Satan?" :stare:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Skapegoat posted:

Abercrombie confirms that Red Country will be read by Pacey

Excellent news, especially with ninefingers coming back.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

The Supreme Court posted:

If you still like any of the characters after a couple of books, you're doing well!
I've read the trilogy and just finished BSC and I still like almost everybody. It's probably because they are clearly the products of their environments and had I been in their place I'd either turned out similar or dead. And dead's really not an option, so it's easy to understand them.

Actually one of the characters I like the least is Shivers. I know I'm unfair towards him, but he was introduced when Logen had already cemented his position in awesomeness and here is this new kid whose very first personality trait is to kill the awesome Logen for vengeance. Then there's his development in BSC. It's too long swing from one opposite to another. In the beginning he goes out of his length to be a nice guy and in the end he takes extra measures to be evil, like killing Orso's second son while Monza didn't want to do it. It's like he's shouting a gigantic "gently caress you" to everyone including his past self and a man like that is very difficult to like.

I understand losing an eye made him see the world differently (:v:), but going around being as evil as possible in order to shame his previous ideals is just too unsettling. I could be friends with Logen, Glokta and even Bayaz, since they at least know how to socialize, but not Shivers. He'd probably make people feel uncomfortable for the sake of them feeling uncomfortable.

It's great to have a new book, especially when it tells about Logen! I agree that his character arc was developed and concluded pretty well in the trilogy, but because he didn't die it's entirely plausible there are still adventures he can participate in.

Hopefully someday Abercrombie will write a book that is set in Gurkhul and we'll get to see Khalul. How does he compare to Bayaz?

Also, in BSC Ishri spoke about a woman killing her brother. Was it Ferro killing Mamun? If so, how could she know it was Ferro who did it, since presumably Mamun died under a pile of rubble and he only creeped to Ferro without anyone knowing.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I agree that Shivers is an unsympathetic character, but he's still very likable as a fictional invention because his story arc is compelling and believable. If we're rating any of the characters you mentioned on a really life morality scale, they're all horrible people.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Shivers was a very sympathetic character for me. That's what made it hurt so much when he just became a sociopath. That's what makes it so tragic, that he's genuinely trying to be a better person and awful things happen to him that push him over the edge. And while I love Monza, it's as much her fault as anyone's. If she hadn't reacted by using her guilt as an excuse to push him away, maybe he would have been able to hang on to even a spark of his empathy.

Abercrombie's world is very much like Martin's in this way: If you're nice or honorable or trying to be a good person, the harder you get hosed over or hurt.

However, in the long absence of Logen, I think we can all agree that the best northman is the Dogman.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shivers himself is perfectly sympathetic up to a point.

The thing that drags down him and his arc is just how much bullshit Abercrombie throws at Shivers so that he can have an excuse to go with the "people can't change" bullshit yet again, which ties into my general annoyance of this series in that the characters are never really allowed to actually develop as people before a narrative force comes along and resets them to be the horrible people they were initially, either through acceptance of that (Logen) or through apathy and fear of consequence if they attempt to do better (Jezal). But I'm pretty vocal about my hatred of themes like this, and relegated the series to "fun read" status after finishing the initial trilogy due to it.

Dogman really is the best, though.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 13, 2012

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

It's funny because early on you do understand that he's kind of a oval office but by the end you realize that he is such a total oval office that you need a new word to describe him. It goes from "Gandalf!" to "...Satan?" :stare:

My favorite part of the series is how the most powerful force in the universe according to the most powerful living mage isbanking institutions.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Oh Snapple! posted:

Shivers himself is perfectly sympathetic up to a point.

The thing that drags down him and his arc is just how much bullshit Abercrombie throws at Shivers so that he can have an excuse to go with the "people can't change" bullshit yet again, which ties into my general annoyance of this series in that the characters are never really allowed to actually develop as people before a narrative force comes along and resets them to be the horrible people they were initially, either through acceptance of that (Logen) or through apathy and fear of consequence if they attempt to do better (Jezal). But I'm pretty vocal about my hatred of themes like this, and relegated the series to "fun read" status after finishing the initial trilogy due to it.

Dogman really is the best, though.
Yeah, the author does seem to sacrifice his characterization for the sake of his narrative at points. Jezal is a bad example though, because he genuinely overcomes many of his personality defects over the course of his arc. He starts off cowardly, ignorant, and selfish; he ends up gallant and open hearted. I don't think his final encounter with Bayaz proves he's a coward; backing down before a man who can blow up castles and poo poo with his mind is hardly a mark of cowardice.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah, the author does seem to sacrifice his characterization for the sake of his narrative at points. Jezal is a bad example though, because he genuinely overcomes many of his personality defects over the course of his arc. He starts off cowardly, ignorant, and selfish; he ends up gallant and open hearted. I don't think his final encounter with Bayaz proves he's a coward; backing down before a man who can blow up castles and poo poo with his mind is hardly a mark of cowardice.

Mind that I'm not being entirely hostile toward Jezal. Fear in itself isn't an inherently bad thing for a person (though I enjoy seeing characters overcome it to do the right thing), the issue is again that the narrative pushes these circumstances upon him which make his growth useless: He either sighs, does what he's told, and tries to do a small thing here and there (and even then this is a "maybe" because we haven't really seen if he was every able to, say, get that hospital built); or he doesn't, gets killed, and Bayaz replaces him with someone who will.

It occurs to me often that half the reason I have continued interest in this series is the prospect of Bayaz getting horribly hosed up.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oh Snapple! posted:

It occurs to me often that half the reason I have continued interest in this series is the prospect of Bayaz getting horribly hosed up.

Ouch. I love Bayaz. I want to see him head south and really gently caress some poo poo up. The Northmen mainly suck with the exception of Dogman's bunch. So that leave the prophet and his theocracy.

I support The Union 100%, Bayaz or not.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You know, I read all 5 of these books a year ago and it's only just now on my second read through that I get the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I just finished The Heroes and I liked it better than Best Served Cold. I definitely prefer the North to Styria and Bayaz is such a unimaginable loving rear end in a top hat it's great

Actually I just like people saying "back to the mud" all the time