Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The Bunk posted:

Counterfeit 57s and 58s seem to be pretty common, at least on ebay, etc.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2139144-How-to-spot-a-fake-Shure-SM58

Awesome, thanks very much this is exactly what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thorpe posted:

I came home from work Wednesday to find a package on my doorstep. What came inside?

My first preset, a blackhole one that has a darker, longer decay. So good!

Man, being a vintage game nerd and a guitar gear nerd, that's exactly what I want forever---make all my sound settings look like they're being reported to me from the backglass of an old-school pinball machine. If only I wasn't saving cash for non-music necessities right now...

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to get the hang of it so far. I made a small track showing the custom preset I used, and then it goes into the stock Shimmer preset.

I've already lost about 2 solid days into it, and I'm going to lose more. I currently have no delay pedals as I sold them to get both this and the timeline, and I might actually be set on both. Maybe get another small delay though, you never know. Pedals are an addiction. I'll definitely post up my thoughts on the Timeline sometime next week.

That track shows off the pedal nicely. Which custom preset was that? I normally am not a huge fan of presets but I think Eventide did a great job on the presets for that pedal.

Also, the volume swells at the end with the shimmer effect reminded me of an organ almost...if you are into that sort of sound, you might want to consider a sound retainer. I have this one and it's a bit of a one trick pony but it's a pretty neat trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeeJrv9wb0

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

dissin department posted:

Should be coming in tomorrow. Soooo excited to try it out at practice on Sunday :)

Trip report: jesus goddamn christ

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

forever whatever posted:

That track shows off the pedal nicely. Which custom preset was that? I normally am not a huge fan of presets but I think Eventide did a great job on the presets for that pedal.

Also, the volume swells at the end with the shimmer effect reminded me of an organ almost...if you are into that sort of sound, you might want to consider a sound retainer. I have this one and it's a bit of a one trick pony but it's a pretty neat trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeeJrv9wb0

It's one that I made using the Blackhole algorithm. Yeah, there are quite a few really usable presets on here, I quite like that.

And yeah, I've been actually thinking about getting a freeze if I ever find a good deal on a used one or something. Seems like a nifty little pedal to have lying around.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It's a great time for a pick crazy person.

Last V-Picks order (Insanity at 11.85mm, Dimension jr. buffed and unbuffed in Smoky Mountain material/color, Tradition Lite blue, Venom):

And from someone who is new to me, but who seems to make really high quality picks, a pair from Patrick at Hufschmid Guitars in Switzerland:

Big Drop (Black material), roughly 10mm at grip point but with a pretty cool bevel which makes me think it's not going to feel as big as it actually is

Gigantic Drop (Layered material), between 12mm-13mm at grip point, the perfect match for that Gibson Zoot Suit SG that I don't own!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Agreed! Where you been, buddy?
and wtf that Gigantic Drop. How do you hold it?
By the way, everyone seen this?
http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2012/les-paul/flipbook/icatalog.html#/1/
The complete Les Paul auction catalogue from his estate. I expect something from there to show up in this thread.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to get the hang of it so far. I made a small track showing the custom preset I used, and then it goes into the stock Shimmer preset.

I've already lost about 2 solid days into it, and I'm going to lose more. I currently have no delay pedals as I sold them to get both this and the timeline, and I might actually be set on both. Maybe get another small delay though, you never know. Pedals are an addiction. I'll definitely post up my thoughts on the Timeline sometime next week.

gently caress I want to get that pedal and play every Cocteau Twins song ever. Or pretty much any 80s dream pop band.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2012/les-paul/flipbook/icatalog.html#/1/
The complete Les Paul auction catalogue from his estate. I expect something from there to show up in this thread.

Well, I work for Wampler Pedals now so I try not to conflict of interest around here. I miss it, a lot, though. At least I can chat on stupid huge picks!

The answer to how to grab that particular 13mm pick is a known unknown at the moment but I will report in as soon as I get it in and find out! The Insanity is actually very easy to use though I prefer the Colossal at about 9mm to the ~12mm Insanity.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Okay, just for that, I bought something on Amazon.

I've been actually sort of wondering if I've been digging too deeply, and thinking if I had a thicker pick, maybe I could tell better.
They're only 3mm stones, but hey. I mean, if it improves my attack, I'm doing the right thing.

I, uhm. I don't think I've posted my latest guitar, come to think of it. I traded the orange and white one away. Replaced it with what I wanted all along.

I had to replace the neck pickup when I got it, it was only partially functional. High strings only. No idea why.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-59-Vintage-Wound-Alnico-75K-Neck-BLACK-ring_p_1500.html

German silver cover, alnico magnets, nicely potted. It's much warmer than the one I had on before. Not the same, but I am one hundred percent not complaining.

Between the guitar and a Johnny Cash book of sheet music, I'm having a lot of fun.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thick picks do a lot to transfer momentum in a way that requires less movement from your hand, and as such they're extremely comfortable. I won't play anything thinner than 1.5mm (all of the ones I have, except one 1.5mm D'Andrea 351, are from the V-Pick lineup, favorite is the Euro II or Venom... Hard to say. Tradition is Fender-style and works great as a bread n' butter pick though).

Strong preference for 3mm+, the easiest playing picks in my experience are between 5mm and 6mm and I have several customs in that range, including a pick a dude carved for me specially that's really cool. Lignum vitae is an extremely hard wood (harder than ebony) with extensive natural oils, they used it in propeller shafts in subs in WWII and for electrical wire insulation for the mains in San Fransisco after the early 1900s quake. Didn't remove the last lignum vitae insulation 'til the 2000s. I haven't worn down one corner of one of the six three-pointed 5mm-6mm picks he carved for me, haha.

REALLY thick picks are the 6mm+ ones. Of those, I only have a few. The Colossal in both buffed and unbuffed form from V-Picks, and the Insanity from V-Picks. They are exceptionally comfortable to hold and strings move out of their way like nobody's business. I find the bevel on the Colossal model is more to my liking, but the Insanity was sort of a capstone for the collection, as I believe I now have one of everything Vinni makes. Acrylic is a hella cool pick material and he's got some killer designs in various acrylic blends.

The incoming picks from the guy Patrick who is totally new to me, anyway, will be the thickest picks in my collection, but they've got a really interesting shape that looks like it's going to fit the thumb/index junction area rather than a more conventional grip - that could be a really, really comfortable and fast pick. Just gotta wait for 'em to get in to check them out, but they do come highly recommended.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Picked up this little guy today:

I wanted something that sounded like a tube screamer but a little less harsh. This fits the bill quite nicely.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

Picked up this little guy today:

I wanted something that sounded like a tube screamer but a little less harsh. This fits the bill quite nicely.

Check inside and see if that has the switch which turns it from GT-OD spec into a Zakk Wylde OD spec? For awhile they were shipping the same board in both iirc, and the Zakk Wylde OD has a broad frequency response and a pretty cool sound, SD-1 on steroids basically. Not sure if they changed that or what.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
where would the switch be?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Located inside. Dip switches can vary in appearance, I believe that one would probably be a small black plastic two-position switch, maybe one that doesn't even stick up much and slides solidly between its two positions, rather than the "intended for outside mounting and requisite durability" metal switch.

I'll poke around and see if I can find a pic.

Edit: Can't find a pic, Found a pic, check below! Edit 2: Pic got deleted? What the deuce... It's near the top of the PCB, on the side mounted up. So you'd need to loosen the nuts and take the PCB out to change it from GT-OD mode to ZW-44 overdrive mode. There's a not-too-difficult modification you can do to move it to an external switch if you have a drill, a soldering iron, a 2 position toggle switch, wire, and the will to do it. Since switching the position in the default, upward facing internal dip switch configuration requires disassembling the whole unit, I'm going to *guess* that you'd want to test it once disassembled and decide which you like better, then stick with that... Unless you feel like modding it to switch externally.

Edit 2: If you're handy, you could avoid all that hassle and just drill a hole out above it to make the switch accessible. Careful not to drill too deep :D About 3 cm left of the pot shaft's center and half a cm up, ish... Then you could just switch it with something pokey, no electrical mods needed. To get the position 100%, measure the underside where the switch's through-board is soldered and use those dimensions to get the drill right without risking damage to the pot or cap that are adjacent. If you do have a drill and a means to measure the distance, you could get it switchable really easily.

I think I might pick one up just for that, too handy not to... An external mod would be pretty straightforward, but every guitarist ought to have some hex keys, and drill one hole over the switch to slide your hex key into it and be able to switch between two substantially different OD tones? That's a good value :) I don't need it at all is the only problem, haha.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 6, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I opened it up and sure enough there it was. I think I might try to add an external switch. I'm handy enough to wire guitars so I think I can tackle that. I switched it to the Zak Wylde position but I haven't used it yet to see which one I like best.

Thanks for the heads up!

Also it's hilarious that MXR would do that.

Question. To accomplish this I would unsolder the original dip switch and run 3 wires from the now empty holes on the circuit board right? Also How would I know which one should be the two hots and the cold?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

HollisBrown posted:

Question. To accomplish this I would unsolder the original dip switch and run 3 wires from the now empty holes on the circuit board right? Also How would I know which one should be the two hots and the cold?

I'm not entirely sure, as I'm not familiar with this pedal or anything, but as an electrical engineer, virtually every switch I've seen has three prongs in a row, and alternates between connecting the middle to the two ends. So as long as you keep the pin order right on the old switch vs the new, it should work, unless you have a weird switch.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
won an ebay auction for a vibro champ. pic from the auction

Warcabbit posted:

i'd throw a bid at some of those misc acoustics or weird basses. some very clean looking amps in that collection as well

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Just for the hell of it, I looked at the monitors in there because I've decided I need some. I know next to nothing about monitors, but some of those estimates still seem kind of low to me. I mean, there's no way I need (or want, or could use) something as giant as those JBL 4350Bs, but surely they're worth more than $1k, even if things are bent.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Dude, they have a prototype Telecaster (Nocaster), hand-signed by Leo Fender, personally given from Leo Fender to Les Paul, with documentation and a mention of it in a book.

For, what was it, 20k? That's just _wrong_. This is Les Paul's personal gear. That guitar he made? You know, the 'LP'? That's probably the least important of his contributions to music. This is the guy who invented multi-track recording. This stuff belongs in a museum. I'm going to try to get my hands on some of his tools just for the heck of it, but I don't think I really stand a chance.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 6, 2012

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Their estimate is $40k-$60k. I don't know much about crazy expensive prototypes, so I don't know how unreasonable that is.

And yeah, I think it'd be cool get some of his stuff, too. The estimates don't seem to be accounting very much for the previous owner, though, and like you say, I'm not very optimistic about things remaining affordable.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The estimates are ridiculously low. Do they usually auction off everything like this? Seems weird to have his social security cards listed as an item here.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Aren't those estimates for the starting bid? I mean, it's an auction, so things are going to go for way more than what it says in the catalog, most likely. I'm sure there will be plenty of private collectors and museums bidding on stuff, as well.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Technically I bought the HD500 a few weeks ago, I've just been lazy with the photos.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Pyrthas posted:

Their estimate is $40k-$60k. I don't know much about crazy expensive prototypes, so I don't know how unreasonable that is.

Any nocaster would go for at least 100k. One that's still playable would go for more.

This one... I dunno. It'd be less than, say, Blackie or Brownie. But it's been a few years since someone sold Blackie.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

So I opened it up and sure enough there it was. I think I might try to add an external switch. I'm handy enough to wire guitars so I think I can tackle that. I switched it to the Zak Wylde position but I haven't used it yet to see which one I like best.

Thanks for the heads up!

Also it's hilarious that MXR would do that.

Yeah, if you just pay attention to the wiring it should indicate on the PCB which wires do what once you've desoldered it - that switch is gonna be pretty conventional, just have a look at it before you detach it and maybe use a little dot of white-out or something like that on the right side to indicate its installed orientation and you should be able to puzzle out how to wire it up for an externally mounted switch pretty easily. Here's a thread from a quick google search that may help:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/179012-mxr-gt-od-zw-od-mod.html

As to why MXR would do it, well, the SD-1 is a time-tested and great sounding circuit, and they've got two pedals that use it and the parts cost to have both specs on one PCB is effectively negligible with foreign inexpensive labor (and they would, necessarily, both use the same PCB layout); since that switch isn't generally visible to the public, probably a lot easier to just make all of them capable of being either a GT-OD or a Zakk Wylde, switch it to the appropriate one before assembly, and fill their orders more quickly that way. Just speculation, but lots of major companies have something like that going on, trying to get the most possible out of the same PCBs; Tech21's Character Series pedals have the same PCB as I recall, and just some parts differences between them to determine the voicing and behavior of the different models. Cuts down on costs substantially, I'd guess, compared to unique PCBs for each.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 6, 2012

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Digitech XP-Series are capable of being switched like that too. There are mods documented that can switch from the Whammy-wah to the Space-Station, or the reverb one.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, the RAS SG finally arrived the other day.

First impressions: This thing actually... isn't that bad? v:shobon:v Granted, I only played it for like 40 minutes, but it's not like a $99 Squier Bullet Strat where you pick it up and it just feels rinky-dink. In fact, it's actually heavy as gently caress. If I were refinishing this, I'd probably sand half the body off before I repainted it (I'm exaggerating, maybe, but not by much). But the pickups sound fine, not noisy at all, volume and tone pots work 100%, nice white-bound neck (again, it's a set-neck, too). Color looks good, intonation is fine. Real deal Bigsby (B500) with the brand removed.
The cons, aside from the weight: The neck feels very big. Thick or wide, I'm not sure. Then again, the two guitars I usually play are a short-scale Duo Sonic and an Ibanez, so maybe I'm just not used to regular or larger than average necks. Also, some black rubbed off onto my left hand during the testing, which means they dyed the fretboard (poorly). I don't know enough to know what kind of wood it is, but their website lists a Rosewood board for all their guitars.

All in all, if I weren't already trying to shrink my collection, I'd consider keeping this just to play with. See if I could get used to the neck. But I really don't have room for it. I put it up on Craigslist the day I got it, but no bites so far.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Melodicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sounds awesome; much louder and better than I expected. Plus, surf green for those elusive shoegaze toanz.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Achtane posted:

Melodicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sounds awesome; much louder and better than I expected. Plus, surf green for those elusive shoegaze toanz.

I have never regretted my melodica purchase. I'm not sure why every single one I've ever seen comes in seafoam, but I'm down with it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

dissin department posted:

Trip report: jesus goddamn christ

Thanks for making me want a effects pedal for the first time in years, you jerks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah after watching some videos of that VT Bass pedal god drat

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agreed posted:

And from someone who is new to me, but who seems to make really high quality picks, a pair from Patrick at Hufschmid Guitars in Switzerland:

Big Drop (Black material), roughly 10mm at grip point but with a pretty cool bevel which makes me think it's not going to feel as big as it actually is

Gigantic Drop (Layered material), between 12mm-13mm at grip point, the perfect match for that Gibson Zoot Suit SG that I don't own!

These picks are holy poo poo good. They do not feel like thick picks, they fit your grip extremely well and are mega articulate. Haven't been this blown away by a pick since the first time I played my V-Pick Diamond 5.85mm custom he did for me.

This is a KILLER pick. Patrick knows his poo poo.

Edit: I also ordered some picks from Red Bear because people go on and on about them and will post pictures when they get in. I expect good things, but I think my top two now might be V-Picks and Hufschmid, I'm immediately picking up some additional Big Drop picks. Going to try an Attack Drop next. INSTANT gratification, no learning curve, it just fits. Gigantic drop probably a bit bigger than necessary, you'd need big hands to use it comfortably, but the Big Drop and Drop shapes are both between 8-10mm at the "grip" but you can't really tell, their shape makes them fit very comfortably in your hand. Like, :drat:, pick love.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 9, 2012

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
This week has been a pretty good one for me! My Timeline came in yesterday, and I got a few other pedals both Monday and today.

First off, the Timeline. This pedal is insane as well. Endless possibilities with delay, and I've only played around with about 3 of the 12 available delay's on it. I can't wait to mess around with it some more.

Monday I got a couple overdrive pedals, one a copy of a Tubescreamer and the other a copy of a Xotic BB preamp. These are from China, and were about $40 bucks a pop. While they certainly feel like $40 pedals, they sound way, way better. I've been wanting a tubescreamer for ages, but wanted one with true bypass. Also have been wanting to try out a BB Preamp too.

Today I got a Diamond Compressor. I ordered it from Humbucker music in the surf green finish, wasn't too big on the yellow finish they normally come in. I wanted a compressor to sort of round out my pedal board, and I heard nothing but good things about this pedal. I find it lives up to the hype with what little I've gotten to mess around with it. Subtle compression, you can't get a massive squash like with some other compressors, but it really makes the tone come alive.

I really need to get a board to mount all these things on one of these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have mostly been buying 16mm pots to repair a friend's pedal. Can I find a b100k dual gang anywhere in the UK? No I cannot. I can however buy the wrong ones repeatedly and end up with a drawer full of things I don't need/will never use.

:/

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

These picks are holy poo poo good. They do not feel like thick picks, they fit your grip extremely well and are mega articulate. Haven't been this blown away by a pick since the first time I played my V-Pick Diamond 5.85mm custom he did for me.

This is a KILLER pick. Patrick knows his poo poo.

Edit: I also ordered some picks from Red Bear because people go on and on about them and will post pictures when they get in. I expect good things, but I think my top two now might be V-Picks and Hufschmid, I'm immediately picking up some additional Big Drop picks. Going to try an Attack Drop next. INSTANT gratification, no learning curve, it just fits. Gigantic drop probably a bit bigger than necessary, you'd need big hands to use it comfortably, but the Big Drop and Drop shapes are both between 8-10mm at the "grip" but you can't really tell, their shape makes them fit very comfortably in your hand. Like, :drat:, pick love.

I looked at that sight and I'm pretty intrigued with these guys http://hufschmidguitars.bigcartel.com/product/1-phd-distressed-drop

but I'm just not sure I can ever justify a $30 guitar pick. Convince me how I can justify spending 10x more than a Jazz III. I'm not being patronizing I really want to know.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, heck. Those 'stone' picks just showed up, and all of a sudden, half, and only half, of my issues with picking just vanished. It's brighter and sharper and not digging in at all!

Funny thing, life.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I'm assuming these giant picks are only really used for picking electric guitars right? I imagine some kind of horrible raspiness if you tried to play acoustic chords with one. I'm pretty skeptical of their usefulness regardless, but unfortunately I'll never find out as they are cost-prohibitive. I'd be interested in hearing an A/B with say a 1mm Nylon pick vs. one of those monsters on different types of guitars though.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm really not trying to poo poo all over them or anything and if they really do make me sound or lay even a little better I'd eat the cost. However, I just wonder if the learning curve would be worth it. I spent the last 15 years learning to play with conventional picks and I really don't want to relearn now to not gain any real measurable improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The ones I got were only 3mm. I got like four different kinds. A 5mm rubber pick showed up today, that's the thickest.