Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

Who ever liked anything about Scott Lang?

Well, I liked him in this most recent episode of Avengers, but then, much has been discussed about EMH's miraculous ability to make Ant-Men likable characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TwoPair posted:

Well, I liked him in this most recent episode of Avengers, but then, much has been discussed about EMH's miraculous ability to make Ant-Men likable characters.
I think the magic is in the voice acting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I liked Lang in Geoff Johns run.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bobkatt013 posted:

I liked Lang in Geoff Johns run.

Well, I suppose I haven't really ever read anything with him in it. I guess I might think he's great if I did, but I just love Pym. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Well, I suppose I haven't really ever read anything with him in it. I guess I might think he's great if I did, but I just love Pym. :(

Lang is also the one that used to ride Hawkeyes arrow

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Scott Lang is my favorite Ant-Man. There, I said it. I love the three-generations of Ant-Man story for the movie, too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lang is also the one that used to ride Hawkeyes arrow

drat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

XboxPants posted:

drat.

At this point Pym just had his breakdown and beat Janet. He was also Yellowjacket.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Well, goodbye EMH

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=59099

quote:

From the forbes article: " To that end, Marvel is introducing digital initiatives, new print and comic book titles, and The Avengers animated TV series on the Cartoon Network in 2013."

The article was later updated to remove the "cartoon network part" changing the sentence to: " To that end, Marvel is introducing digital initiatives, new print and comic book titles, and The Avengers animated TV series on the in 2013."

Whether the show will air on Cartoon Network (unlikely) or DisneyXD(more likely) remains to be seen, but regarding the show itself, however, we were able to get some insider's info that you might want to take with a grain of salt. So, below are some key features of the 2013 Avengers TV Series:

- The show will start with the movie line-up. Which means Iron-man, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye and widow.

- The show will be sharing the same universe of the current Ultimate spider-man cartoon and the upcoming Hulk Agents of SMASH.

- Ant-man will join the team later on the series.

- The animation will be a big selling point for the show. and will be made by MAS (the newly formed Marvel animation studio)

- The show will not be a continuation of the current Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

- One of the big villains of the show will be Thanos, in order to promote the character for kids since he is rumored to feature in the second avengers movie.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It sucks, but I suppose it's better to have two seasons of a fantastic show rather than have it devolve into something unwatchable.

At least that's what I tell myself when I think of Spectacular Spider-Man :sigh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus, Disney. A show has to be extraordinary to get past bare minimum numbers for syndication in most cases. Not to mention wasn't EMH begun before Loeb took over the TV division? So it's Yost's baby?

I appreciate wanting the shared universe and brand synergy and all those buzzwords, but this sounds like they're aiming to do the same show with three different casts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gently caress you Loeb

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Okay, after this stunt and all the other crap he's pulled in the past from comics to movies to TV series, does ANYONE like Loeb anymore?

The sad thing is this move is probably going to make Marvel tons of money for being a movie tie-in. Yeah, forget trying to make an original and creative Avengers series because the movie made us piles of dough and we need to carbon copy it for everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FrostedButts posted:

Okay, after this stunt and all the other crap he's pulled in the past from comics to movies to TV series, does ANYONE like Loeb anymore?

The sad thing is this move is probably going to make Marvel tons of money for being a movie tie-in. Yeah, forget trying to make an original and creative Avengers series because the movie made us piles of dough and we need to carbon copy it for everything.

I wonder if there will be a character named Sam?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I hope it's more watchable than Ultimate Spider-man is now. :sigh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if there will be a character named Sam?
I think that's a given at this point. That's the name of the new Nova, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

I think that's a given at this point. That's the name of the new Nova, right?

It most certainly is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

i like tacos posted:

I hope it's more watchable than Ultimate Spider-man is now. :sigh:

If this new Avengers series can avoid having Family Guy style cutaway gags then it will be more watchable by default.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Earth's Mightiest Hero decision has zero to do with Loeb and everything to do with Marvel/Disney. Blaming him would be like blaming Bendis for Coulson and Black Nick Fury in the books because he's currently writing the Avengers book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The Earth's Mightiest Hero decision has zero to do with Loeb and everything to do with Marvel/Disney. Blaming him would be like blaming Bendis for Coulson and Black Nick Fury in the books because he's currently writing the Avengers book.

He runs the Marvel Animation studio.

quote:

Today Marvel Entertainment announced the appointment of Jeph Loeb as Executive Vice President, Head of Television a newly created department. In his new role Loeb will work with Dan Buckley, Publisher of Marvel’s Print, Animation, and Digital Divisions, to create both live-action and animated shows based on Marvel’s extensive catalog of characters.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 4, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

He runs the Marvel Animation studio.

And Bendis runs the Avengers books. You could say Brevoort runs them if you want to. Or Alonso. None of them made the Black Nick Fury or Coulson decision but were told it had to exist in the books.

You could easily replace Loeb in the situation and anyone else in Marvel/Disney would turn around and make the same decision. Keeping EMH (a separate universe and continuity heavy show) while they are rebuilding their animation brand and trying to capitalise on the success of The Avengers film would ultimately be a loss for Marvel/Disney.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love EMH but I don't really see the problem with the new show. We'll end up with 52 episodes of EMH, which is a pretty good tally for a cartoon. And I'm sure they'll be able to wrap everything up nicely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I love EMH but I don't really see the problem with the new show. We'll end up with 52 episodes of EMH, which is a pretty good tally for a cartoon. And I'm sure they'll be able to wrap everything up nicely.

I hope so too but who knows as Loeb said that the second half of the season is all stand alones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The DCAU, which has warped fan expectations of how long a series or universe series usually runs, was an extreme outlier in the animation world, at least here in the West. That kind of thing doesn't happen often, but if it did it would require exactly the type of amalgamating that Disney/Marvel is doing right now with bringing the different heroes under one house, one studio, and one universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

The DCAU, which has warped fan expectations of how long a series or universe series usually runs, was an extreme outlier in the animation world, at least here in the West. That kind of thing doesn't happen often, but if it did it would require exactly the type of amalgamating that Disney/Marvel is doing right now with bringing the different heroes under one house, one studio, and one universe.

While that's true, I kind of don't see why amalgamating requires a whole new show. So far, the only real continuity problem between USM and EMH is grown up Cage and Iron Fist showing up in EMH last week. And really, if you just never have them show up again, than you can just pretend it never happened. The only other problem I could see is if they're going to drastically change Hulk when he gets his show, but still, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable obstacle. I guess I'm just a little peeved because I finally got fed up with USM this week and would much rather see it canceled than see other shows have to change to fit its status quo.

I guess the one silver lining here is that there's a super-small shot that maybe they'll put this new show on CN and I won't have to buy Disney XD or Amazon season passes anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

While that's true, I kind of don't see why amalgamating requires a whole new show.

It probably has to do with animation styles and the creative managers of the shows, not about the plots or continuity.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
People are surprised? Kids animated shows rarely get more than 2 seasons before a studio/title change, mainly for financial reasons. Apparently voice actors sign on for 2 seasons then renegotiate for their third+, which ends up being costly.

If a series ends/changes names/studios after season 2 then they have the options of ditching the existing talent in favor of cheaper VAs, or by changing the name they can classify it as a "new series" and sign the same VAs to a new 2-season contract at the same rates with no renegotiation (likely what was done with YJ).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I guess the one silver lining here is that there's a super-small shot that maybe they'll put this new show on CN and I won't have to buy Disney XD or Amazon season passes anymore.

This will not happen. Sorry, Warner Bros owns DC, Disney owns Marvel, their shows will be airing on their channels.

Anyways, I think its pretty obvious that Loeb, or his boss, or EMH's low ratings is responsible for this change. They are talking about hopping off the movie's strength and making one amalgamated universe but that is exactly what EMH itself was supposed to be doing. It was made and aired with the Avengers' debut in mind, it was set up to be universe building because Disney wanted to be in things "for the long run" and actually get young boys watching its young boys channel. I think the change away from episodic story-telling was one where Loeb in particular was the call maker. In this case I'd almost agree with him, except that it should have been the other way around. One season of monster of the week where you get to know the characters without all this "Who's on the team? Who's off the team?" stuff, then one season where there is an over-arching storyline. Though I would say that how things actually ended up turning up (ending with stand-alone episodes after a bunch of plot-heavy ones) is just a bit more of Jeph's reverse Midas touch in action.

edit: Balon, as hard as this is to believe I think we were still on YJ's first season up until invasion, with the 26 episodes commissioned at once.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just hope they don't try and shoehorn an X-men animated series into this new expanded universe they are planning. The X-men universe is vastly superior when its stand-alone.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Avengers thing isn't surprising at all. I'm sure a Disney exec caught some of EMH season two and found it totally inpenetrable. Animation has gotten much more manic these days, preferring quick gags to methodical plotting.

Oh well. As long as the kids enjoy it, I'm not going to argue. EMH has probably been my favorite Marvel show, and I've seen nearly all of them.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Interesting rumor floating around some cartoon forums: retailers are getting word that the upcoming DTV animated "Dark Knight Returns" feature will be produced and released in 2 parts, with both parts listed on the spec sheet as being the standard 90-minutes-with-credits runtime. It's expected that part 1 will be released this year in the late summer/early fall, with the possibility of part 2 being released either at the end of the year or in the beginning of next year.

I guess DC is trying to go for a Kill Bill thing here. In any case, I guess this means between the combined runtimes, we're probably not going to see much cut out from the book. I wonder if they're doing this to also test the waters for future epics being released as multi-part videos.

Also, a trailer briefly was leaked onto Vimeo but was almost immediately taken down. Someone managed to snag some screencaps here, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Space_Butler posted:

Also, a trailer briefly was leaked onto Vimeo but was almost immediately taken down. Someone managed to snag some screencaps here, though.
Sweet. Wanna watch that movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Space_Butler posted:

I guess DC is trying to go for a Kill Bill thing here. In any case, I guess this means between the combined runtimes, we're probably not going to see much cut out from the book. I wonder if they're doing this to also test the waters for future epics being released as multi-part videos.

I think its more akin to Japanese OVAs, which are straight to dvd animated mini-series that are usually an adaptation of a work. I always thought it would be a great format for these comic book adaptions, and I'm glad DC is finally going to try it out.

Also, I'm really glad that they got Micheal Ironside to voice batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been known that they're doing the film as a two-parter for a while, but still nice to have some images out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, I think its pretty obvious that Loeb, or his boss, or EMH's low ratings is responsible for this change.

Did the show have bad ratings? I thought it was doing pretty well.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TwoPair posted:

I doubt it had terribly good ratings given that it doesn't even air on a standard cable channel. It would be like Nickeloedon pushing Legend of Korra... on Nicktoons.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Chaltab posted:

I doubt it had terribly good ratings given that it doesn't even air on a standard cable channel. It would be like Nickeloedon pushing Legend of Korra... on Nicktoons.

It would be nice to not have to use iTunes or steal my buddy's iPad to watch his episodes. Hell, my parents have the second most expensive channel package of some 800 channels and even they don't get Disney XD. I'd just like to watch this television show on, y'know, television.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

There was some ratings chat early on and it seemed to be doing poorly. Maybe it improved in the months I've not heard anything about it, but since the show is undergoing half a season of executive meddling and then cancellation I sort of doubt it.

Now as to Batman... man that chin.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Cliff Racer posted:

There was some ratings chat early on and it seemed to be doing poorly. Maybe it improved in the months I've not heard anything about it, but since the show is undergoing half a season of executive meddling and then cancellation I sort of doubt it.

Now as to Batman... man that chin.

Man that chin! Hoist those ears! Get to work, you scallywags! YARR!

I guess EMH will occupy that same place in my heart as Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men and X-Men Evolution. Fantastic shows that I wish had run for four or more seasons but at least I can pull out the DVD/Bluray whenever someone mentions that they haven't seen it.

Speaking of, I picked up the Bluray of WatXM some time back, if you don't have it, get it. It's the whole series (granted, only one season) and there's commentary on every episode. Good commentary and sometimes more than one track per episode. Also Chris Yost has the most adorable lisp that must make saying his own name a living hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
New Young Justice. No particularly interesting revelations this week. Queen Bee killed Gar's mother (used her control on him to do it?), and Conner broke up with M'gann because he's insecure about never aging. Not a bad episode overall, but...

I think the biggest problem I have is that this show feels like a comic book--and not in a good way. It's incredibly dense and slow paced, as if it were written for the trade. It's like the writers are obsessed with addressing fridge logic questions before anyone asks them.

• Locked thread