Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Healbot posted:

Sure wish my SGS got the kind of support the Nexus S did. Android support is loving horrible.

Support for the original SGS is pretty good though, much better than most other phones.

One of my friends is still using an SGS - not sure what rom he's using but its pretty much indistinguishable from my stock Nexus S and everything works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

To cut this retarded derail off before it starts, shall we leave the arguing over WP7/8 Update schedule to the Mango thread? They'll be as happy to tell you as I am that Microsoft hasn't confirmed or denied anything about the Apollo updates. Everything is speculation at this point.
Not trying to derail at all, this is stuff that's been officially announced (actually in typical MS fashion, it wasn't announced that existing phones wouldn't be upgraded, it was officially retracted when the MS Developer Evangelist mistakenly said they would). Suggesting that MS intends to support their devices is an outright misrepresentation of the facts. Lots of reasons to look into WP but long term support is certainly not one of them until they've been around past the short term.

Slopehead posted:

All I'm saying is that Android has some serious issues when it comes to long-term support,
Definitely true.

Slopehead posted:

something that I've seen due to historical precedent is better addressed by other platforms,
False due to the pluralization of "platform".

Slopehead posted:

save a majority of the Nexus line. It sure would have been nice if I'd known that when I'd bought my first smartphone back in January 2011.
Sorry you decided to go in uniformed but in January 2011 it was obvious what the developer phone was.

Slopehead posted:

Unfortunately there was no real way to know that I'd but abandoned after a year since I was fresh to the game and I don't possess a time machine.
Now you know.

Slopehead posted:

Oh and just so you know, a friend of mine who had a 3GS updated to IOS5 on contract and it turned it into a virtually unusable hunk of poo poo.
Old hardware runs new software poorly. Also water is wet. Guess what? Nothing you can do will make 4.0.x run smoothly on your G2 either. Do you know why? (Hint: it's the same reason the G2 has reached the end of its lifecycle.)

It's because the hardware can't run it.

If you want to avoid that problem in the future, you buy the most hardware you can.

Slopehead posted:

So it's not like Apple is completely infallible with their phones either.
I'm not saying they're infallible, I'm saying they'll provide updates for two years. You know, the exact thing you're complaining isn't happening for you right now.

Slopehead posted:

Jokes on him, he bought an SGSII on AT&T. Maybe he'll get lucky and have that sweet sweet ICS update by October but bemoan his luck when Jelly Bean never shows up.
You're right, he'll be hosed for updates, but again, he knows that going in.

Slopehead posted:

Edited for civility
I do appreciate civility. :)

The fact of the matter is that it is the nature of technology to grow obsolete. Software is written for the high end (that's why it's the high end) and as your device falls in the pecking order it's going to be less and less capable of running the latest and greatest. Here's the thing though: if you want developers to continue to support your device it would make sense to get one with a widely understood chipset, one with available drivers, and one that will get official support. They make devices like that and they're called developer phones.

I would also point out that the G2 is officially running the most current software possible for a device of those specifications, Gingerbread, and that's something that a shitload of other devices can't claim. Not only that, it runs a special build that HTC had to make just for the Desire Z's oddball vanilla cousin. It's hardly "not supported" when so many others are so much worse off. The Galaxy S line immediately comes to mind as abandoned hardware that isn't running the latest version possible given the hardware requirements.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Isn't the G2 roughly equivalent spec wise to the SGS/Nexus S?

It does have less internal storage but its still a good deal more than a Desire/N1

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Isn't the G2 roughly equivalent spec wise to the SGS/Nexus S?

It does have less internal storage but its still a good deal more than a Desire/N1
The 800MHz Scorpion CPU was considered slow when it debuted and is on the MSM7230 chipset which is an ARMv7 chipset. The Hummingbird is 1GHz and on an A8. Both have 512MB of RAM which is at the low end of Ice Cream Sandwich running well but it's doable.

Do you know offhand the size of the /system partition on the G2 (or Desire Z, although they probably have different partition sizes like the N1/Desire)? Anything less that 256MB would probably be pushing it for 4.0.x.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally got the external battery charger I needed for my Atrix 4G. While refreshing my knowledge on the stuff I'd need to flash an sbf recovery, I came across the info that...you could access Recovery from fastboot. How the hell did I not know that? I felt dumb and grateful.

I downloaded and flashed the latest CM9 and gapps from Jokersax, and I'm back in business. Only a few minutes into it, but so far it's just dreamy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Alright, so I finally got off my rear end and rooted my Galaxy Nexus. Are there any super-cool apps I want now besides AdFree, ROM Manager/Titanium Backup, WiFi Tether, Solid Explorer, and RootKeeper? The OP seems just a little outdated and I want to know if there's any new hotness.

AdFree is honestly alone worth the five minutes of pressing buttons and poo poo, gently caress you in-app adverisements.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 3, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

deadwing posted:

Are there any super-cool apps I want now besides AdFree, ROM Manager/Titanium Backup, WiFi Tether, Solid Explorer, and RootKeeper?
Droid Wall. I actually don't bother with AdFree since the vast majority of annoying ads for me come from games that utilize the network when they're single player and don't otherwise need to. Denying network access disables ads by default. (And yes, I purchase said games where a paid version is offered, but that doesn't prevent them from still displaying ads (Angry Birds :argh:).)

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: Nevermind, this is a pointless argument given the lack of concrete facts not based on rumor or conjecture.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 3, 2012

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I recommend AdAway over Adfree, AdAway lets you customize the filter list, add subscriptions (like EasyList for Adblock Plus) and has a better autoupdater and UI.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Droid Wall. I actually don't bother with AdFree since the vast majority of annoying ads for me come from games that utilize the network when they're single player and don't otherwise need to. Denying network access disables ads by default. (And yes, I purchase said games where a paid version is offered, but that doesn't prevent them from still displaying ads (Angry Birds :argh:).)
There are ad-free versions of all the Angry Birds games in the Amazon Appstore. I only found out that they're not in the Play Store when I was looking into what it would cost to move everything over.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Do you know why? (Hint: it's the same reason the G2 has reached the end of its lifecycle.)

It's because the hardware can't run it.

I thought it was because of the ram/rom? I had the original G1 and I was told the reason it didn't go past Froyo is because they gimped the amount of ram/rom on the phone. IIRC someone ported ICS to the G1 but it ran like rear end.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

I thought it was because of the ram/rom? I had the original G1 and I was told the reason it didn't go past Froyo is because they gimped the amount of ram/rom on the phone. IIRC someone ported ICS to the G1 but it ran like rear end.
As I mentioned above, the G2 is an ARMv7 which just isn't going to run 4.0.x. 512MB of RAM runs works just fine on the Nexus S although everything gets kicked out of memory frequently (although in a way that's fairly transparent to the user).

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So Gmail stopped pushing notifications to my phone a couple of days ago when I updated to liquid smooth 1.3. I've since udgraded again to 1.35 and now the CM9 nightlies that are accessible with the Clockwork Rom manager (flashing gapps at the same time) and it's still broken.

I'm sure it's something simple, but what am I missing?

highme fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 4, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

As I mentioned above, the G2 is an ARMv7 which just isn't going to run 4.0.x.

Can you explain specifically in what way is ARMv7 is physically unable to run 4.0.x?

Is it a limitation due to lack of drivers to backport as of this time or is it like ARMv6 being physically unable to decode Flash player?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 4, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Can you explain specifically in what way is ARMv7 is physically unable to run 4.0.x?

Is it a limitation due to lack of drivers to backport as of this time or is it like ARMv6 being physically unable to decode Flash player?
It's not physically lacking the ability to do it, it just doesn't have the oomph to provide a good enough user experience for the OEM to do it and without the OEM making the drivers the developers are mostly hosed.

A lot of this attitude that the developers will eventually be able to fix things later come from the fact that the Qualcomm 8250 (the Snapdragon) and before that the MSM7201 were so ubiquitous (and both used in developer phones) so porting wasn't so hard. The proliferation in chipsets along with the proprietary nature that most of those enjoy means that the aftermarket really relies on official releases at lot more than they did back in the 8250 days.

The G2 could probably run an Ice Cream Sandwich build acceptably (by which I mean as well as say the G1 ran CM6) if there was official drivers available for the chipset but as it is it will never work well enough to try to shoehorn it in without Qualcomm or HTC releasing some 4.0.x drivers and that's not ever going to happen.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've heard a lot of talk about the possibility of porting from the Desire HD whenever the ICS update drops. Is this even a remote possibility?

I assume that OEMS are basing their standards on stock clock speeds so I have hope that with a hefty overclock the G2 will have plenty of 'oomph'. I already run mine at a baseline 1.2ghz and would consider pushing it up to 1.5 if it would make ICS run smoothly, assuming that drivers can eventually be ported and/or puzzled out. The OC sure didn't help much for long term stability of Sense 3.5 but that's a bloaty whore :argh:

I mean really, that's what this is all about. Pushing your device to the limit and frankly, I think that somehow cramming a software package that no one will think properly work onto an older device is the very definition of that.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 4, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I've heard a lot of talk about the possibility of porting from the Desire HD whenever the ICS update drops. Is this even a remote possibility?
It's a definite possibility. The Desire Z, HD, and G2 are kissing cousins.

Slopehead posted:

I assume that OEMS are basing their standards on stock clock speeds so I have hope that with a hefty overclock the G2 will have plenty of 'oomph'. I already run mine at a baseline 1.2ghz and would consider pushing it up to 1.5 if it would make ICS run smoothly, assuming that drivers can eventually be ported and/or puzzled out. The OC sure didn't help much for long term stability of Sense 3.5 but that's a bloaty whore :argh:
You're correct, and they also don't take into account the ability of the consumer to repartition the internal storage. I don't have any doubt the G2 could run full vanilla 4.0.4 with the right developers, drivers, and effort, I'm just doubting it will get enough attention.

Slopehead posted:

I mean really, that's what this is all about. Pushing your device to the limit and frankly, I think that somehow cramming a software package that no one will think properly work onto an older device is the very definition of that.
I agree with you but the landscape's a lot different from the days when there was the Dream/Magic/Sapphire and the N1/Desire/Incredible (and somewhere in there the lonely OG Droid) and a couple other phones no one else gave a poo poo about. Now there are so many devices with so many different chipsets and so many different hardware drivers that you're lucky if your phone is supported by competent developers. Unfortunately the only guarantee of that in the Android world is the developer phones.

I really don't want you to think I'm slamming you for getting a G2. It's not a bad device at all. What I would tell you to do though if you want to move forward in software and user experience is to sell it on Craigslist and replace it with a use Nexus S that you could probably find easily. It will definitely be supported for the remainder of your contract and Ice Cream Sandwich runs really well on it. I can't imagine you'd be out much out of pocket for the exchange. It will at least get you to your next subsidy.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've been toying with the idea, yeah. Unfortunately i920t's are extremely hard to find in this area via Craigslist, period. Tons of 'em for Sprint for about $200, but nary a single Tmobile one. The last one I saw went for almost $300, which is insane. Even Ebay wants $225+ as an entry level on one. I'd be lucky to get $150 for my G2 and what with money being what it is these days that's not an expense I can justify.

I appreciate your reassurances. By the way you're wording things it's easy to get the (mistaken) impression you're slammin' on my baby and you of all people should know how testy phone nerds can be about their chosen clowncar device :reject:

I can only hope that the DHD update comes sooner rather than later. We're still blessed by the Virtuous Rom team who do some simply amazing work so once that drops, I expect to see finalized fixes for what few issues remain.

So far as I can tell those issues are:

95% working camera. You have to switch between 3 and 5 mp then back to get rid of a green line which frankly doesn't matter to much cause most of my shots are of the cat and cars in parking lots. Either way, the G2's camera doesn't take top quality photos so it's only a minor quibble. Video is still kinda spotty. And well, everyone loves videos of cats chasing laser pointers..

Occasional Wifi dropping issues depending on the rom. Getting much rarer.

GPS is a big question mark. I've seen a bit of talk in the Andromadaus and CM9 unoffical threads about how it can be somewhat spotty, but a cycling of the toggle tends to fix it. This is a semi-dealbreaker for me since I can get lost inside a wet paper sack. Gotta have my GPS like those stupid kids gotta have their Kix. I figure tower triangulation would work, but I don't know if that function is mutually exclusive from proper satellite access.

Some framework issues which cause slowdown over time. The graphical glitches that people have been reporting seems to be mostly ironed out but are still an occasional occurrence. From what I gather, once the DHD's drivers are accessible, this will be a thing of the past.

I've seen talk about some market access issues and contacts not syncing properly. That's not a huge deal to me since I don't get many phonecalls and all my texting is done via Google Voice. I DL apps once in a rare moon too, but having access to a book library is the tits.

Edit 1: To go way back and address your question about the G2 /system size.

quote:

The first question people are going to ask is: why would we want to use the DesireZ HBOOT on our G2s? The partitioning of your phone is controlled by HBOOT. The G2 HBOOT has only 400MB allocated to /system and 1.3GB allocated to /data, whereas the DesireZ HBOOT allows for 535MB of /system and 1GB of data.

Courtesy of the V-Rom team. The DZ Hboot has been suggested standard in the G2 community since a port method was devised in July 2011. They came up with it so we slovenly Yanks could run some hot hot Sense 3 action on our phones.

Edit 2: For what it's worth, there have been some much needed mod changes over in G2 XDA land and they've been shaking down lovely posters which has had the shocking effect of promoting actual development.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 4, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

I've been toying with the idea, yeah. Unfortunately i920t's are extremely hard to find in this area via Craigslist, period. Tons of 'em for Sprint for about $200, but nary a single Tmobile one. The last one I saw went for almost $300, which is insane. Even Ebay wants $225+ as an entry level on one. I'd be lucky to get $150 for my G2 and what with money being what it is these days that's not an expense I can justify.

I appreciate your reassurances. By the way you're wording things it's easy to get the (mistaken) impression you're slammin' on my baby and you of all people should know how testy phone nerds can be about their chosen clowncar device :reject: [/quote]Sorry about that. Overnight I'm working so I sometimes don't have time to reword things for maximum clarity and tone.

As for the issues, you'll probably always see those since de-Sensing things never works out well (especially in HTC's proprietary GPS/wifi/camera/bluetooth things). An official 4.0.x release for the DHD will help but probably not completely eliminate these issues.

It's also worth mentioning that the Nexus S isn't that much better on those three things you care about. GPS is okay but nothing to write home about (although worlds better than the SGS on which it was based), the camera sucks (lacks zoom of all things), and wifi performance isn't wonderful either so yeah, saving your money toward something much better might be a good option although I'd like to reiterate that if you want your next phone to be useful two years later your only option in Android land is going to be the Nexus device (and you'll notice the current one isn't subsidized at all by T-Mobile meaning you might have to do the subsidy shuffle to get one).

As to the partition size, you probably do need >500MB of /system space for stock 4.0.4. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if 400MB of /system space was enough to disqualify the possibility for Ice Cream Sandwich on the G2 at the vendor level.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm trying to root a friend's Kindle (ugh, I thought I said I'd never do this again..) and I got adb working, used the Kindle Fire Utility to install everything I needed, then when it booted into TWRP I wiped everything and installed my ROM. But now it's set to boot in recovery mode, so instead of starting up in Android it brings up TWRP every reset. And for some reason I don't have adb access anymore when I'm in TRWP, I think it's because it's in fastboot mode? So basically my issue is I can't give the "idme bootmode 4000" command to get it to use the regular boot mode because I don't have adb access. I tried reinstalling drivers and resetting my computer and all that stuff but can't get adb back. Any ideas?

Edit: This worked perfectly! :woop:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 4, 2012

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

highme posted:

So Gmail stopped pushing notifications to my phone a couple of days ago when I updated to liquid smooth 1.3. I've since udgraded again to 1.35 and now the CM9 nightlies that are accessible with the Clockwork Rom manager (flashing gapps at the same time) and it's still broken.

I'm sure it's something simple, but what am I missing?

Are you wiping before the flashes?

highme
May 25, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

Are you wiping before the flashes?

Yes, data and cache.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
And gmail is check under the accounts and sync settings? Really odd that something like that would follow you.

I've jumped from BuglessBeast to LiquidSmooth 1.35 back to BuglessBeast without that happening.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, I've looked at all the settings, and have unchecked, rebooted & rechecked the Gmail sync setting just to try and force it.

Reverted to my nandroid from before upgrading to 1.3, now it all works like it's supposed to.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 4, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Speaking of the G2, the new Andromadus beta is out and the change log looks promising. I'm going to give it a whirl and report back.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah Andromadaus looks very promising. I'm waiting till they hit RC1 before trying it out but that really shouldn't be terribly long. They're rolling out new beta releases every 10 days or so.

For all the poo poo I talk about XDA, we have some really smart guys doing the heavy lifting where it counts on the projects that count. The flip side of that is that for every one of them, there are three other guys farting out badly ported builds of MIUI or Sense 3.6.

\/\/\/ What beta version of Andromadaus?

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 4, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I really liked Andromadaus for the G2, but it would bog down so bad and everything would want to force stop/wait. If I just hit wait, it'd finally come up, but no way a daily driver for me. Awesome none the less and now just makes me want CM9 for my G2 that much more.. Not that I really expect to every see it as a daily :(.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

There are ad-free versions of all the Angry Birds games in the Amazon Appstore.
Yes and I bought them the day the Appstore came out. My understanding is that there are still pause-screen ads in them though. But honestly I wouldn't know, as I've been using Droid Wall since before then.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got a samsung captivate glide. How do I root this thing?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

revmoo posted:

Just got a samsung captivate glide. How do I root this thing?

http://bit.ly/KmVab9

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Yeah, the new Andromadus beta doesn't address the terrible browser performance issue at all which is the main reason I abandoned it in the first place.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Can someone give a quick rundown of the merits of the various major Verizon GNex ROMs out there right now? I'm trying to decide what to try first. I see AOKP, Liquid Smooth, CM9, and Slim ICS at a minimum . . . pretty overwhelming. I can at least say I'd rather not use something that is still purely doing nightlies (i.e. CM9, unless I'm mistaken).

I liked CM7.1 quite a bit on my Incredible but that was just about the only thing available that I knew of. I think I'm interested in optimizing battery life and UI smoothness here.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Yeah, the new Andromadus beta doesn't address the terrible browser performance issue at all which is the main reason I abandoned it in the first place.

Does that include alternate browsers such as Dolphin Browser Mini or Boat Browser?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On the old phone topic, I will say that Evervolv 2.2a1 has been great for me over the last week on my Evo 4G. No crashes, no notable issues, and everything works except WiMax, HDMI, and the front facing camera. All minor features which are acceptable to have missing in an alpha build.

I think CDMA devices tend to be harder to support, so the fact that I have a daily usable ICS should give hope to anyone with a popular device powered by an 8650 or possibly 8250.

As for newer devices, apparently there was a leak of the Virgin Mobile version of ICS with Sense 3.6 for the Evo 3D. It also comes with some firmwares including a new HBOOT that disables S-OFF, so if you're hack rooted rather than HTCdev rooted make sure you're flashing versions which have been modified to be root safe.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I installed a beta port of CM9 on my old HTC Legend to see how badly it would run on 290MB Ram and an ARM6, and its.. smooth and useable (@800MHz).

The only prob is, World of Goo is compiled for Arm7 so I have to upgrade anyway, but colour me suprised.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ShaneB posted:

http://bit.ly/KmVab9

Haha very funny. There's a ton of info out there and a lot of it isn't current so I wanted to make sure I was getting the right information.

Anyways it's rooted. Is there a way to track and limit bandwidth usage?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So my first attempt on flashing my phone (LG P500, froyo) didnt went very well.

As a matter of fact, I never even got to flashing it: I went to install the custom recovery thing (following these instructions http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html) and all I got after the reboot was that my phone had been wiped back to factory settings. Lost all my apps and settings. Oh well, at least it didnt brick it.

Good to be I had used titaniun baclup to back everything up, so Im restoring my apps now. But I dont see any option to restore my contacts, I wonder if I lost then?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

So my first attempt on flashing my phone (LG P500, froyo) didnt went very well.

As a matter of fact, I never even got to flashing it: I went to install the custom recovery thing (following these instructions http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html) and all I got after the reboot was that my phone had been wiped back to factory settings. Lost all my apps and settings. Oh well, at least it didnt brick it.

Good to be I had used titaniun baclup to back everything up, so Im restoring my apps now. But I dont see any option to restore my contacts, I wonder if I lost then?

You don't keep your contacts synced to Gmail?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LastInLine posted:

You don't keep your contacts synced to Gmail?

Hmmm, no. This time I will do that.

This accident had one cool side-effect: I was running really low on internal space, down to around 10mb. Now after restoring almost all my apps using titaniun (and then moving then again to the SD card) I still have more than 100mbs.

Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

Does that include alternate browsers such as Dolphin Browser Mini or Boat Browser?
Yes, but not browsers that use their own rendering engine like firefox and opera.