Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Best villain speech ever. Aaron the Moor, from Titus Andronicus, as he is about to be hung for multiple counts of rape, murder, and treason:

Hanged, you illiterate savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Seriously, he wasn't a tapestry.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

gently caress off, Stannis.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

King Stannis. Call him what he is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

King Stannis. Call him what he is.

He is Vigo!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Those get translated into modern english, though, making them far more accessable to the layman. Shakespeare is just on the cusp of being total gibberish to the modern anglophone, so it's left alone and quite a lot of people get really, really upset (because they are sperglords) if you try to translate it into something readily understandable.

e: I keep saying Shakespeare when I really mean Francis Bacon, Christopher Marlowe, and Edward de Vere. :unsmigghh:
Part of the pleasure of Shakespeare is the language, and the games he plays with language. A lot of the cleverness is lost if you translate to modern English. Admittedly, that requires some level of familiarity with the work, and some comfort with Elizabethan English (which doesn't take as much effort as you might think) -- but it's no more spergy than saying flag football has no place in the NFL.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

Part of the pleasure of Shakespeare is the language, and the games he plays with language. A lot of the cleverness is lost if you translate to modern English. Admittedly, that requires some level of familiarity with the work, and some comfort with Elizabethan English (which doesn't take as much effort as you might think) -- but it's no more spergy than saying flag football has no place in the NFL.

But... flag football has no place in the NFL.

GRRM agrees, I read it on his blog.

Hey guys lets talk about Pride and Prejudice next, Darcy is such a cad

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Daaaaariocy?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I for my part think Darcy is quite the jolly good chap.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

Hey guys lets talk about Pride and Prejudice next, Darcy is such a cad
IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single queen in possession of three dragons must be in want of :shlick:~*~ Daario ~*~:shlick:.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I'm told I am a misogynist if I don't like Austen, what say you, thread of ladyshits?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

nuncle jimbo posted:

I'm told I am a misogynist if I don't like Austen, what say you, thread of ladyshits?

I thought the BBC miniseries with Colin Firth and the lady who originally was to play Catelyn Stark was entertaining, just the book was kind of dull. The one I hate is Jane Eyre, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles is uncomfortable and almost as rapey as GRRM.

I like Oscar Wilde though, he is like a reverse Dolorous Edd but just as hardgay.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nuncle jimbo posted:

It's SA in 2012, everyone is a misogynist.

Brings me back to the days when we used to discuss the books, and how we all got told to never have kids because we hate Sansa and therefore all women/children ever.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Take a copy of Pride and Prejudice and replace Jane Austen with "Biff Slabchest," then re-read the book -- if you suddenly enjoy it, then you're a misogynist.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Say three Hail Mary Shelley's and repent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Dude you're really showing your own rear end more than you're succeeding at convincing people that Shakespeare's not worth performing/studying.

Because I ever said that in anyway at all.

But please, tell me more about your catastrophic level of retardation.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Say three Hail Mary Shelley's and repent.
Is she still taking credit for her husband's masterpiece? :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The problem with Shakespeare is that he didn't include enough sexposition scenes in his plays. How could the audience possibly know what was going on?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

The problem with Shakespeare is that he didn't include enough sexposition scenes in his plays. How could the audience possibly know what was going on?

Shakespeare: no sexposition, lots of fools

HBO: no fools, lots of sexposition

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get all my information over two writhing prostitutes going to town on each other. Anything else just seems wrong somehow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

There's plenty of rear end in Midsummer Night's Dream :haw:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

IRQ posted:

Time for HBO to adapt Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet have all the characters loving whores in every scene? Shakespeare should be made accessible to the public after all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All monologues must henceforth be delivered while someone has a finger in someone else's butthole.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Factor_VIII posted:

Time for HBO to adapt Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet have all the characters loving whores in every scene? Shakespeare should be made accessible to the public after all.

They should just adapt Orson Scott Card's Hamlet and just have the mad king Aerys loving all the characters in every scene, and when hes dead his ghost can do it. Or maybe whoopi goldberg as the medium can rape everyone.

Is David Simon available this is solid gold

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

bigmcgaffney posted:

I thought the BBC miniseries with Colin Firth and the lady who originally was to play Catelyn Stark was entertaining, just the book was kind of dull. The one I hate is Jane Eyre, and Tess of the D'Urbervilles is uncomfortable and almost as rapey as GRRM.

I like Oscar Wilde though, he is like a reverse Dolorous Edd but just as hardgay.

But Jane Eyre was Bronte and Tess was Hardy :psyduck:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know about you guys but I felt as if Hodor was taken RIGHT OUT of Shakespeare.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hodor is our generation's Falstaff. It is known.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I frequently confuse Hodor and Iago.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
"Come not between the dragon and his wrath."

"Nuncle Lear, nuncle Lear, tarry! Take the fool with thee."

"Now, gods, stand up for bastards!"

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

mind the walrus posted:

Hodor is our generation's Falstaff. It is known.

GRRM is our generation's Falstaff.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Martin Van Buren posted:

GRRM is our generation's Falstaff.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Every time I see Henry IV, I imagine Falstaff's voice as GRRM's.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

nuncle jimbo posted:

You're not a misogynist; you just have no business reading books :frogout:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

All monologues must henceforth be delivered while someone has a finger in someone else's butthole.

Welp, that removes all Aaron Sorkin's monologues, because that's just him with his own thumb up his rear end.

e: from the spoiler thread, but a good bit of newb brilliance:

VivaNova posted:

Welcome. I'm glad someone posted that- very interesting essay. Theon's my favorite character is aCoK. I never thought about things like the fact that he went from being the youngest kid to suddenly being the oldest, or about how he's similar to Sansa.

And how's this for crazy non-reader theories: My boyfriend is pretty sure that next episode, Theon is going to discover some sort of ancient aquatic magic while crossing the sea and use it to create a GIANT TSUNAMI which he will then SURF TO WINTERFELL, thus fulfilling Bran's prophecy.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 5, 2012

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Because I ever said that in anyway at all.

But please, tell me more about your catastrophic level of retardation.

Uh ok I didn't mean to set you off; sorry if I misunderstood what you were trying to get at. Feel free to clarify.

edit: Why was I so surprised about a sudden rage-out in the GRRM thread?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
I want to built a giant laser cannon controlled by a powerful computer that will precisely bounce a tight beam off the moon to etch "Romeo and Juliet is not a love story" on everyone's forehead.

No one will be spared, not even the children.

It will subsequently etch "these books will never end" on George R. R. Martin's car. Does he have a car? I think he has a great big fat person car, like a Monte Carlo, but not a cool one.

IRQ posted:

Aaron, they said you was hung!

And they was right. :smug:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

But Jane Eyre was Bronte and Tess was Hardy :psyduck:

I realize that, they are on my bookshelf this very moment. They just struck me as similar in time period and as such it seemed applicable to tell the Bad Thread that they are terrible. I know because I post in a thread about terrible books.

:goonsay:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
To be honest, Theon SURFING TO WINTERFELL would be hella cool.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I really hope actual krakens show up in TWOW, that would be neat.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Urdnot Fire posted:

I really hope actual krakens show up in TWOW, that would be neat.

Did you see the wall-o-text in the mediocre thread about merlings and sea monsters?

It was something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Did you see the wall-o-text in the mediocre thread about merlings and sea monsters?

It was something.

Indeed it was. Varys the merling would be quite a thing.