Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Just how bad of an idea is this?:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/2981986491.html

400$, jesus buy buy buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

400$, jesus buy buy buy.

I'm sorry, but I'd say don't, unless you know exactly what you're buying.

RDs have a special place in my heart, and I've been riding them for almost 3 decades.

I currently sport a few LC 350s and 500 YPVS.

Early 70s are the worst possibly RDs. I still love them though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Worst case scenario he's out 400 dollars and can resell it for the same price (or maybe even more!). In a better case he has a sweet little '70s 2-stroke. What's your objection?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Worst case scenario he's out 400 dollars and can resell it for the same price (or maybe even more!). In a better case he has a sweet little '70s 2-stroke. What's your objection?

He might fall in love with it, and it might not love him.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Z3n posted:

400$, jesus buy buy buy.
If you're into wrenching at all, yes yes yes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

...:what:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

kenny powerzzz posted:

If you're into wrenching at all, yes yes yes.

I am into wrenching and I'm nuts about old smokers, but I don't think it's in the cards. I already have to get a truck and a bike to pass PA inspection, plus I am saving up for a supersport. Hell of a deal, but unfortunately I have more sense than money.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Synonamess Botch posted:

fortunately I have more sense than money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

ftfy

no, he was right.
I have a garage full of poo poo I can't afford to fix or insure and I love every second of it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no, he was right.
I have a garage full of poo poo I can't afford to fix or insure and I love every second of it.

Haha yeah, this. To be fair to myself I still do this and fully well intend to until I die, but if I control my impulse buys then I can save more money for the stuff I'm serious about. I know, I'm a real rebel.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/2970208175.html

KBB says less than 800 for it. Too much?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Disco Dickdog posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/2970208175.html

KBB says less than 800 for it. Too much?

KBB doesn't matter. Not a spot of rust on that bike. If it looks that good in person I think he can get his asking price.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2975193679.html

Hmm....

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
If you need and can handle a bike like that, do it.

It's not an easy-to-wrench bike though and finding parts might be challenging.

If I lived where you do, you wouldn't have received this advise, because I would be out buying a bike.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Man look at those handlebars. That clutch cable being stretched like that makes me really nervous.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/2958994155.html

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you need and can handle a bike like that, do it.

It's not an easy-to-wrench bike though and finding parts might be challenging.

If I lived where you do, you wouldn't have received this advise, because I would be out buying a bike.

I already have my VFR750 so I definitely have no need for a VF1000R. And from my bike, I can only surmise that the VF1000R would be an even bigger pain in the rear end to work on.

But $850!!!

edit:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2983830497.html

I so badly want this just for the colour. I'm tempted to suggest $1300 but I shouldn't be spending any more than $1000 if I want to flip it...

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 30, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just bought a 1975 CB125 for $200.
"All it needs is this washer removed from the engine [guy dropped a washer in the head] and to have the engine remounted."
The guy was about 3 hours from me, also had about 8 other similar vintage bikes that he had already sold the day prior .
:argh: why couldn't I be closer??!!

It's got new tires, brakes are good, and it needs a new chain.
If I can, in fact, get this bike on the road for less than $200 in parts, I am going to be incredibly stoked.

Pictures to follow soon.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 28, 2019

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jose Pointero posted:

Best description I've seen on the local craigslist in a while (clicky):

ROCK WHEELIES ALL drat DAY

IM A BUSY MAN SO I DONT ANSWER PHONE CALLS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress YOU, EMAIL

AND ALSO PIECE OF poo poo GRAY CAR

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Great condition Honda FT500 Ascot in the Columbus Ohio area! $1649

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2992989735.html

Someone go get this, I love the styling of these, and I bet they're rare to find in this shape.

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 3, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Other than armor-all the seat and tires (!!), it does look gorgeous.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Yeah, I admittedly don't know a whole lot about this type of bike, other than the 82s were thumpers, and then in 84 they put V-twins in them.

Can someone provide input as to whether or not these would be a good first bike? I know that its age seems to be a suspect point, but the condition looks like it might save it on that front.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

IM A BUSY MAN SO I DONT ANSWER PHONE CALLS

*spends all loving day on the phone answering CL calls*
*employer is unimpressed, terminates employment*

I don't see cause for hyperbolic backlash here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

*spends all loving day on the phone answering CL calls*
*employer is unimpressed, terminates employment*

I don't see cause for hyperbolic backlash here.

Why not just say "Text me between x and x, or call after 5?", or let it go to voicemail and call them back? I mean, these are the sort of communication problems we have solutions for.

Dude just sounds hilariously douchey, reminds me of a guy I knew who wanted to sell a 10 year old trackbike Honda F4 that had a number of problems, that he wanted 8k for. But he absolutely wouldn't accept less because it had HRC rearsets and engine covers. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ If given multiple options on how to interpret something, I always make the selection that offends me the most. Mea culpa.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

^ If given multiple options on how to interpret something, I always make the selection that offends me the most. Mea culpa.

If given multiple options on how to interpret something, I always choose the option that amuses me the most. :v:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

RuPaul Levesque posted:

Yeah, I admittedly don't know a whole lot about this type of bike, other than the 82s were thumpers, and then in 84 they put V-twins in them.

Can someone provide input as to whether or not these would be a good first bike? I know that its age seems to be a suspect point, but the condition looks like it might save it on that front.

There's nothing about it that would make it a bad starter bike except that it's in really good shape for its age and seems to be relatively uncommon. You'd probably be pretty bummed if when you drop/dump it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RuPaul Levesque posted:

Great condition Honda FT500 Ascot in the Columbus Ohio area! $1649

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2992989735.html

Someone go get this, I love the styling of these, and I bet they're rare to find in this shape.

Ascots were pretty sweet bikes. Handled well (there was even a Spec Ascot series at Blackhawk Farms I believe in the 80's), and looked good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

RuPaul Levesque posted:

Definitely not a terrible choice. I'd ride one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I want this in the worst kind of way.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2983221158.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I want this in the worst kind of way.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2983221158.html

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD
He emailed me back. He's asking what I'm offering. Totally didn't expect that.

I've only got about $2200 in the bank but I have a lot of expenses coming up.
I really shouldn't do this. But I don't think I'm able to stop myself.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Although I'm not familiar with this particular bike I think it looks great and if I enjoyed the test ride I would jump all over it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kenny powerzzz posted:

Although I'm not familiar with this particular bike I think it looks great and if I enjoyed the test ride I would jump all over it.

He says he's had 3 other offers and that someone offered him $2200 a couple days ago.
I think he might be pullin my leg but whatever, I don't have any more $$ soooo yeah.
Oh and he wants $2500 for it. Reasonable, just not do-able. I'm already breaking the bank at $2200.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

I really hate to be an enabler (I lie), but those don't come up very often. Especially not at that price. Sell off something less desirable in the Gnarly fleet.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

CB1000

Oh wow. Those don't come up often. I love how it looks exactly like a CB400 from the same era (one of my favorite bikes) only on steroids. From the pictures it looks like it's in amazing shape and from an investment angle *snicker* $2200-2500 seems like a great price. People with thrashed mid 90's CBR900's still want over $3000 for them and this is far more rare.

*edit* I meant CB-1 not CB400.

Gweenz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 4, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gweenz posted:

Oh wow. Those don't come up often. I love how it looks exactly like a CB400 from the same era (one of my favorite bikes) only on steroids. From the pictures it looks like it's in amazing shape and from an investment angle *snicker* $2200-2500 seems like a great price. People with thrashed mid 90's CBR900's still want over $3000 for them and this is far more rare.

*edit* I meant CB-1 not CB400.

I've seen about 8 other ads across the entire US. This one is in better condition than half of them and it's (tied for) the second cheapest at $2500.

The only cheaper one was about $2000 and it looked pretty beat up.

I hope he needs a speedboat or a CB project or something :ohdear:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I just want to say gently caress trying to answer calls from people buying stuff on craigslist. I talk on the phone all day at work and I'm perfectly comfortable with it, but 90% of all calls I get from potential buyers are either:

1. Unintelligible
2. Completely wasting my time droning on and on about something barely related
3. Lonely old people that want someone to talk to

I deal in emails only and only give out my number as they're driving to my place in case they need to cancel last minute or something.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
CHARLIE :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

hayden. posted:

I just want to say gently caress trying to answer calls from people buying stuff on craigslist. I talk on the phone all day at work and I'm perfectly comfortable with it, but 90% of all calls I get from potential buyers are either:

1. Unintelligible
2. Completely wasting my time droning on and on about something barely related
3. Lonely old people that want someone to talk to

I deal in emails only and only give out my number as they're driving to my place in case they need to cancel last minute or something.

I had what seemed like a complete idiot texting me the other day at work over a guitar amp I was selling, asking me stuff like "wats the lowest u go?" and "???" when I didn't respond right away. I told him I was busy and couldn't show it on the weekend cause I just wanted him to go away. Well, he came over that day and bought it in a cool two minutes. So sometimes it works out even when guy on the other side seems like a caveman.