Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

After farting around in Cube drafting a bunch of 1-1 quality decks I managed to draft a good one and win a thing

And only one planeswalker too.

Bitterblossom and Sorinblossom plus Skullclamp and Opposition were pretty sick, but the MVP was Wake Thrasher. He's weak to burn, but if they can't deal with him he will get in for a ton of damage on his own. And he was cheap enough to drop on t4 or 5 with remand/leak/miscalc/blade backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

I just finished my first Cube, and I anticipate spending a lot of time on this in the future. I was playing some U/G aberration (went 2-1 in Swiss). Most amusing play: opponent activates Pernicious Deed, clears the board. I drop Rofellos and play Genesis Wave for 6. :smug:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Go go gadget artifact deck.
http://i.imgur.com/vCjJA.png

Sword of fire and ice, sword of light and shadow, jitte, and vedalken shackles.
I have a sphinx of jwar isle, but I left it out. I figure keiga and sun titan are enough big game. Plus, I can't equip poo poo to the sphinx, which is a big downside with the gear.

I don't really have much real removal, which is problematic. I can steal poo poo with old man of the sea, control magic, and shackles though. I was trying to prioritize creatures I could put gear on.

Will update with how I do.

Edit: First match won, against a very durdley red/blue deck trying to ramp and tinker stuff. He always ended up not playing much while I beat on him for a while. Ended up Keiga stealing his wurmcoil, which was cool. Only saw a sword come out at the end of the first game, where it wouldn't have mattered. No other equipment.

Lost the second match to mono-red. He won the die roll. First game was mostly a blowout, with him having first turn lavamancer. I just got out-aggored. Second game I had a balance in my opening hand, so I tried to slow-roll out. Unfortunately, he then didn't really commit anything to the board himself except for 'dies at the end of turn' sort of creatures. Then he played a koth, which I can't really balance.

Bah, lost the final match to a guy flickering acidic slime with venser. It made short work of my gear. I had an equipped shadow dude, then he hit day of judgement. I put out a sun titan and brought back a destroyed sword, then it was wrath of god. Then came the flickering.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 4, 2012

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Speaking of traps, I think I stumbled into one in my latest M12 draft (I actually really like this format, "Magic as it was meant to be, when Air Elementals were Air Elementals, and Bears did battle in the red zone" and all).

I thought I was living the dream with my Honor of the Pure in a monowhite deck with a good curve of random playables, but then I played against a U/W control deck, which has me thinking I'd have folded against most control decks. I ran him over game 1 with Honor of the Pure and 1a2a3a, but games 2 & 3 he clogged up the board with high-toughness dudes and utility dorks, and eventually chipped me down with fuel from Azure Mage (didn't seem like either of us had any bombs). In the end I felt like a W/G deck with comparable beef but minus all the useful green cards (e.g. Unlike a hypothetical Overrun, Guardians' Pledge would almost kill him and then he would stabilize with either Alabaster Mage or Timely Reinforcements). I did fine against non-control decks. (edited image to make sideboard position match my other saved screenshots:)

M12 is supposedly on the aggressive side, but I'm starting to feel like if I don't have red cards (or Auras? haven't tried), I better be ready to win the late game. And it just seems easier to find a few key advantage cards than to find a critical mass of aggressive men. Here's a deck I went 2-1 with (in Swiss, but still), and I'm starting to think it wouldn't be too hard to force something like it in the absence of early nuttiness:

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 4, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The Swiss Cube queues are actually the most depressing thing ever, people are so bad that it makes it impossible to put together a real deck because cards from 5 different archetypes will get put into one deck and you end up with dreck unless you open well.

Currently losing to Koth/Wall of Omens/Bloodbraid Elf/Jokulhaups.dec

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I am bad at draft. That is all.

Very bad.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well I was bored and feeling lazy so I threw up a 4 pack ISD sealed.

Opened the most ridiculous pool, playing red/black with hellrider, devil's play and skirsdag high priest, with 6/7 removal spells. It doesn't matter that the rest of the creatures are utter crap, it really doesn't.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
I am bad at TPF drafts, but I am having a blast. On draft #2 right now. In the first I got a UW random mishmash that was pretty good, but against GR it lost 1-2. Getting some nice black cards with red splash. Doing waaaaay better than the UW deck. Holy hell do I have a lot of removal.

Dash hopes worth putting in there? Or is it pretty useless?

(1-0 so far, with a 2-0 record)

Bah, lost in match 2 to the mirror match. He pretty much had the exact same deck, minus the removal I had, but he had 2 Conflagrates and a Sengir Nosferatu. I would have won the turn after I died too :\, but he pinged me with the Hellbent land from 8, and then attacked with a 4/4 flier, and the 4/3 he gave -1-0 to give him swampwalk and killed me.

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 4, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
3 swords 3 'geddons 2 ajanis: the deck:

We'll see how this goes.

edit: got out-aggroed in round 1 by mono-white. T2 Porcelain Legionnaire T3 Basilisk Collar shuts me down pretty good. :(

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 4, 2012

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Apparently I need to play more than 17 land and 2 two-mana accelerants in cube to have any hope of not getting stuck on 2 mana for five turns until I die, two games in a row!

Those were even the hands that I had to stay on after mulliganing hands with less mana, so it's not like the answer is to be smarter about mulliganing.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I have never drafted a cube before. Once I get OM to her plane, I'll give it a shot. Let's call it 8pm EST?

Edit: Yes, let us draft.

rinski fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 5, 2012

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Drafted AVR over at FNM. Started with a weak pack and took Borderland Ranger quite comfortably, followed it with some weaker green from another weak pack. Then get passed third pick Entreat the Angels. Guy who opened it took Spirit Away over it which I think is wrong but not in the realm of terrible, the next person took Thunderous Wrath over it to "keep on red".

End up with GWb splashing for Death Wave and Human Frailty, with Entreat the Angels, (p3p2) Sigarda, two Goldnight Redeemers, but perhaps a bit too few tools to hold down the fort early game than I'd like. Literally saw zero Seraph of Dawn for example. Still, a ton of power.

Round 1 I play against mono-black trying to build on the loner theme. Card quality is pretty low, but still Hunted Ghoul with double Predator's Gambit costs me one game, especially when I fail to read the card properly and don't trade for it when it actually doesn't have Intimidate anymore. Read the goddamn cards. Also play stupid as hell Cloudshift, shooting it way earlier than I should have and miss on getting realy value out of it. Redeemers work wonders on stabilizing in late game though.

Round 2 I play against aggressive RG humans/soulbond. These are extremely close games, I think opponent is one good turn short of finishing me before I get to stabilize and start beating with fliers. Trusted Forcemage, Druid's Familiar "upgrade" the quality of other early drops so hard, and beating these generally meant I had to have my splash Death Wave or Human Frailty for breaking bonds midcombat and getting extra value. Without the splash for removal would have been pretty hosed. Manage to screw up beautifully here too: I've tried to go into the habit of checking every first draw like it was potential Miracle I can play, and when I drop focus and draw my card straight to hand without thinking... well wouldn't have wanted T5 Broodmate Dragon anyway. Opponent takes his read about what I draw from the fact I almost crack up laughing to myself after immediately realizing the fuckup.

Round 3 is against another aggressive deck RW this time. The story is pretty much the same, early game is hard but I manage to trade for enough to either stabilize with Redeemer or build too good a board with the miracle. Didn't actually gently caress up at all in this game!

But only because I really played like a donkey in round 4. Opponent has controllish UG deck abusing soulbond and flicker very hard. He starts G1 with Nephalia Smuggler which I know and acknowledge, and then proceed to simply forget what the ability actually does before burning removal for nothing (and not on the Smuggler either). Opponent gets Mist Raven and Gryff Vanguard flicker engines going on, and I can't really recover. Deserved loss there.

Still manage to win the table with 3-1 on tiebreakers, and get Moonsocks for my trouble (actually picked that p2p1 myself out of really dry pack, but didn't get enough other good reasons to drop green). Mostly just a bit pissed about playing pretty bad today, not really playing that much on paper this year I guess is showing. Couple of weeks to iron that out before GP.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The Swiss Cube queues are actually the most depressing thing ever, people are so bad that it makes it impossible to put together a real deck because cards from 5 different archetypes will get put into one deck and you end up with dreck unless you open well.

Currently losing to Koth/Wall of Omens/Bloodbraid Elf/Jokulhaups.dec

I don't get to cube much, so I'm fine with rocking the swiss drafts even if they aren't very competitive. I want to maximize my tickets spent to rounds played ratio, so it's the way to go.

Just beat the Jungle Lion/All is Dust special. Oh well, cube is still fun!

One thing I love about cube is you can be SUPER patient with deciding which route to take. No need to overcommit to a first pick, since your 10th pick is probably comparable in power level.

Opened SoFaF p1p1, took a couple of white weenie cards, shifted into G/W fatty reanimator, back into white weenie when the green dried up, and finally settled in W/B pack 3 after picking up Lingering Souls, Sorin, Vindicate, Mortify, Vault, and other goodies.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 5, 2012

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lunael posted:

Drafted AVR over at FNM. Started with a weak pack and took Borderland Ranger quite comfortably, followed it with some weaker green from another weak pack. Then get passed third pick Entreat the Angels. Guy who opened it took Spirit Away over it which I think is wrong but not in the realm of terrible, the next person took Thunderous Wrath over it to "keep on red".

End up with GWb splashing for Death Wave and Human Frailty, with Entreat the Angels, (p3p2) Sigarda, two Goldnight Redeemers, but perhaps a bit too few tools to hold down the fort early game than I'd like. Literally saw zero Seraph of Dawn for example. Still, a ton of power.

Round 1 I play against mono-black trying to build on the loner theme. Card quality is pretty low, but still Hunted Ghoul with double Predator's Gambit costs me one game, especially when I fail to read the card properly and don't trade for it when it actually doesn't have Intimidate anymore. Read the goddamn cards. Also play stupid as hell Cloudshift, shooting it way earlier than I should have and miss on getting realy value out of it. Redeemers work wonders on stabilizing in late game though.

Round 2 I play against aggressive RG humans/soulbond. These are extremely close games, I think opponent is one good turn short of finishing me before I get to stabilize and start beating with fliers. Trusted Forcemage, Druid's Familiar "upgrade" the quality of other early drops so hard, and beating these generally meant I had to have my splash Death Wave or Human Frailty for breaking bonds midcombat and getting extra value. Without the splash for removal would have been pretty hosed. Manage to screw up beautifully here too: I've tried to go into the habit of checking every first draw like it was potential Miracle I can play, and when I drop focus and draw my card straight to hand without thinking... well wouldn't have wanted T5 Broodmate Dragon anyway. Opponent takes his read about what I draw from the fact I almost crack up laughing to myself after immediately realizing the fuckup.

Round 3 is against another aggressive deck RW this time. The story is pretty much the same, early game is hard but I manage to trade for enough to either stabilize with Redeemer or build too good a board with the miracle. Didn't actually gently caress up at all in this game!

But only because I really played like a donkey in round 4. Opponent has controllish UG deck abusing soulbond and flicker very hard. He starts G1 with Nephalia Smuggler which I know and acknowledge, and then proceed to simply forget what the ability actually does before burning removal for nothing (and not on the Smuggler either). Opponent gets Mist Raven and Gryff Vanguard flicker engines going on, and I can't really recover. Deserved loss there.

Still manage to win the table with 3-1 on tiebreakers, and get Moonsocks for my trouble (actually picked that p2p1 myself out of really dry pack, but didn't get enough other good reasons to drop green). Mostly just a bit pissed about playing pretty bad today, not really playing that much on paper this year I guess is showing. Couple of weeks to iron that out before GP.

This is pretty much exactly what I experienced at prerelease playing GW, green soulbindy creatures make a great early game, and the angels at the end just blow poo poo up. I had bonfire of the damned instead of entreat, so I wasn't able to really splash any of my black removal, but I'll think about doing that next time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, so I'm doing my first cube and only like 4th draft. How does this look?

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 5, 2012

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Right click-> sort by converted mana cost. Makes it much more parseable.

Also use [timg]

It seems like your deck is not sure whether it's Aggro or Big Mana Fatties. You have Sol Ring lands, Decree and Two Akromas, but also Isamaru. I would cut the aggro package, side in your Oust and other more control/ramp oriented cards, and go that route.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 5, 2012

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
I've just recently jumped back into Magic after a ~5 year hiatus, and I've been playing some ISD drafts on modo. Was wondering if someone could look over a few and give me some feedback, since I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing, especially in the first pack.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=388ez - Black/Green thing I went 2/1 in a swiss with somehow. Didn't save the deck, unfortunately.
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=39a82 - Blue/Black thing I lost with first round in a 4-3-2-2. I thought it was an OK deck but game 1 I manaflooded horribly and game 2 he dropped some pretty scary stuff (Requiem Angel, Bloodline Keeper, turn 3 Mentor of the Meek.) I don't think I coulda won regardless of what I drafted but a review would be nice. Here's a screenshot of the deck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A few things:

p1p2: Deadly Allure is pretty bad. It's not the worst card, but it'll wheel, even out of a mediocre pack like that. Wrack with Madness is probably the best card from that pack, or the griptide or any of the other creatues would've likely been better here.
p1p4: Similar story, the bear isn't awful, but is a 2/2 for 3 far more often then you'd think, while Wild Hunger is shockingly good in this format. Admittedly, you're trying to avoid red after passing the vampire lord and wrack, so you could skip it here, but it's still a significantly better card.
p1p5: I'd probably grab the Markov Warlord since he's a fine finisher to splash if you grab a Brimstone Volley or whatever later on, but yeah.
p2p1: Don't pass Devil's Play unless you have a very, very good reason to. A nice werewolf is not a reason.
p3p4: Yeah, basically Morbid doesn't trigger very often unless you draft for it (Falkenrath torturer, Disciple of Grislebrand, Altar's Reap, etc..), so you really want the Mystics here.
p3p6: I'd probably grab the unburial rites here (maybe p3p2 as well) and consider splashing a plains. Not many great targets, but it's a pretty good card in the format, and there's something really funny about suiciding a Morkrut Banshee in, then rites-ing it for it's own morbid trigger.

2nd draft:
p2p1: Oh man, take the curse. Skaab Goliath is kind of a trap, generally too clunky and expensive to make the cut.
p2p2: Silent Departure, it's great removal in the format. Memory's journey is a clunky card for a deck that pretty much died with the release of DKA.
p2p3: Noble is just simply an awesome card, Drake is merely pretty good.
p3p7: Slayer of the Wicked, what the hell is that doing here :psyduck:
p3p11: Forbidden Alchemy :psyduck:

Also, you have one piece of removal, so I'd run sensory deprivation over curiosity, and forbidden alchemy's over... let's go with Skaab Goliath and one of the village cannibals.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

How do people feel about archetypes in AR draft? I played R/W humans at the pre-release and did well with it, and then went 2-1 tonight with a U/W fliers (with the loss to a mirror match that actually had bomb rares like Avacyn and Spirit Away and Terminus and ugh, at least I got Tamiyo and other good stuff in my prize packs :q:).

Like I said in my pre-release impressions in the main thread, black seems pretty weak. Seems like you can go R/W humans, U/W fliers, or some combo of green pump creatures with another color.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So after doing lousy in cube 1, winning only a pity pack, I went 2-1 my 2nd go around after eeking out a few games, then naturally on my 3rd went 3-0, crushing every game I played, with:

I ended up submitting a 42 card deck after running out of time trying to build it, and drastically changed stuff around every match.

This format is really growing on me.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

How do people feel about archetypes in AR draft? I played R/W humans at the pre-release and did well with it, and then went 2-1 tonight with a U/W fliers (with the loss to a mirror match that actually had bomb rares like Avacyn and Spirit Away and Terminus and ugh, at least I got Tamiyo and other good stuff in my prize packs :q:).

Like I said in my pre-release impressions in the main thread, black seems pretty weak. Seems like you can go R/W humans, U/W fliers, or some combo of green pump creatures with another color.

RG Aggro is definitely a thing that can be done. I haven't seen much in the way of successful black. GW also seems to be a good midrange-is deck that can be had.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

rinski posted:

I have never drafted a cube before. Once I get OM to her plane, I'll give it a shot. Let's call it 8pm EST?

Edit: Yes, let us draft.

Cool, I'm in this draft.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wonder if the success of cube on MTGO will lead WotC to try releasing a gold-bordered paper version.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

whydirt posted:

I wonder if the success of cube on MTGO will lead WotC to try releasing a gold-bordered paper version.

That's actually a really cool idea. I haven't bought any paper product in like 4 years, but if they did this I'd probably buy a set.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whydirt posted:

poo poo, I already have my own cube and I'd still buy it.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

whydirt posted:

Give this man a promotion! At whatever job he does!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'd have to believe that they'd try to figure out some kind of way to promote cube in paper.

Given how much value they're willing to put into Commander decks, I think it would be kind of neat to do a "Cube Builder's Toolkit", there's plenty of useful commons and uncommons they could put in, and just having a solid core for cube would help a lot of people. But that seems kind of unlikely, because it doesn't really drive sales the same way that Commander does; so much of cube is secondary market stuff.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
People are seriously underrating green, at least this first week. Third pack got me passed a Wolfir Avenger, Uvenwald Tracker, Champion of Lambholt and the uncommon miracle.

Went 5-0 at that draft, Green with a bit of red splashed. Free fat pack.

Two Sigardas and a Cavern of Souls.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I can't believe that Wizards would ever release a cube precon at the full rare/mythic density, even with gold borders, because it would basically be equivalent to printing professional-quality proxies and the secondary market would lose a huge chunk of its EDH/other informal player market in one fell swoop.

On the other hand, a cube starter set like Lord of Hats was talking about could be good value if they gave it a good mythic as its centerpiece, like a sword or something.

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
I'm going to stream a cube draft in fifteen minutes (starting at 10:50 Pacific).

Death Pits of Crap fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 5, 2012

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
not the best mono-red out there, but took down a swiss. Finals was against Aggro BR who clearly was fighting for a lot of the same cards. I think it's worth repeating that mono-red is really not going to get there consistently unless you pull Sulfuric Vortex.

Hilarious play of my draft: reckless charge on the spikeshot elder to ping for 4 in a boardstall, vortex hits their last 2 points on upkeep.

edit: I saw 0 non-basics until the finals (where he had 3), price of progress did NOT pull it's weight :( (although ruinblaster and baboons sure did with T4 kill on his dual land 2 games in a row)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really like this deck I just built, it feels like it has good synergy. What do you all think?

Would you have played the green cards? Any swaps you would make? (Also I put in Wasteland after I took this screenshot)

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
Why are you playing Corpse Dance? Smokestack isn't very good for you, either. You don't have enough token shenanigans to really abuse it, although I credit you for trying.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm not sure what other 22nd and 23rd cards there are, though, assuming that he doesn't want to further jank up his mana by adding green. Manriki-Gusari isn't a horrible choice and I'd probably play it over one of those two, but after that... Memory Jar? Dauthi Marauder?

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Christ, I love this format.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My first AVR draft and I already lived the dream of a recurring bounce lock with Havengul Skaab and Mist Raven. Tied for second, but got tiebroken down to 4th. :negative:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

First ever TPF draft. I don't know a whole lot about the format. How many of the cards I'm playing are utterly unplayable?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheGame posted:

First ever TPF draft. I don't know a whole lot about the format. How many of the cards I'm playing are utterly unplayable?

I'd rather have that cardpool than one or two others I've drafted in my time. I don't like the unstable mutation or the saltfield recluse (as a splash, that is) though. Fury Charm and Sarcomite Myr are both playable over those.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheGame posted:

Looks fine, except:
a) your deck seems way too slow to be playing Unstable Mutation
b) I'm not sure about splashing Saltfield Recluse. It's one of my favorite cards in the format but in general I don't want to splash for utility guys that have a one turn delay before helping you.

Sarcomite Myr is probably the best card in your board? It seems like it should be maindeck. Veiling Oddity is fringe playable too I guess, or one of the charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'd pop in another two plains for that white splash.