Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If a shop is stupid enough to do work on a bike that 50% of it's value without a deposit, they deserve to be burned and probably shouldn't be in business for themselves.. or even be able to use a fork without supervision.

To carte-blanche refuse a bike just because over XX years old is stupid... as your 3 year old stretched GSXR600 even shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

If a shop is stupid enough to do work on a bike that 50% of it's value without a deposit, they deserve to be burned and probably shouldn't be in business for themselves.. or even be able to use a fork without supervision.

To carte-blanche refuse a bike just because over XX years old is stupid... as your 3 year old stretched GSXR600 even shows.

Pretty much this.

You can have a 3 or 4 year old bike that has been treated like poo poo and has all those issues as well. And with the quality of 90% of the bikes I see up for sale, that's true more often than not.

It's whatever, though. Guy on 2SW gave me names/numbers for three different vintage repair shops in PDX.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

iwentdoodie posted:

I really can't see tires and a chain turning into a 1000+ repair. That argument makes no sense. There's nothing more to doing it on an old bike versus a new one.

For this, no. I was addressing their likely reasoning behind the policy overall.

slidebite posted:

At no point did I say the "cutoff year" logic was sound when you moved it over to bikes. I was going to say as much but then figured it was self-evident for this audience. It is their attempt to try to avoid quagmires and keep their staff focused on quick turnaround, predictable, repeatable, high margin units of work.

How many times have I read accounts in these pages of people with more aptitude than any shop mechanic will ever have being dumbfounded with a "hole in my bucket" situation that spiraled out of control? Put a dollar figure on those hours.

Rather than speculate, why not just ask the guy what his reasoning is. I GUARANTEE it's a variation on the theme Z3n and I came up with. And if you deem this person unfit to twist a wrench or run a business, vote with your feet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

What happens is this:

They get some guy who needs tires and a chain.

They get the bike, half the bearings on the bike are seized, the rotors, pads, and brake fluid is shot. This isn't even considering other things that the owner hasn't noticed, like a JBWelded block or god knows what else. Bearings will run you 60 bucks plus an hour of shop time, the tire and chain are probably being billed at an hour of shop time each, brake pads and fluid are 100 bucks, plus another hour of shop time, and oh poo poo, you just discovered they've never been maintained so brakes need a rebuild and the rotors are hosed and...

And that's how you end up with a thousand dollar repair bill on a chain and sprocket set.

And that's not even getting into "Hey, it's not running right, clean the carbs out!", only to discover that you have low compression on one cylinder or a coil is dead or there's some electrical problem that's causing it to cut out...basically, there's no money in old bikes because for the cost of the repair they could just go buy a new one. Diagnosing an electrical issue can take forever, especially if your techs don't really know how bikes work and A->B their way using a repair manual and the parts inventory of the shop.

Of course, there's a group of guys out there who know the ins and outs of these bikes and can pull a profit on them as a result of it, but your typically dealership doesn't touch them with a ten foot pole because the couple of bucks they lose in shop fees are made up by the next squid who wants a gixxah.

poo poo, I remember a guy who had a $20,000 GSX-R600. Crashed it, wanted it stretched and lowered, and they just kept rolling it into his loan on the bike...eventually, he had a slammed, crashed, stretched GSX-R600 that was 3 years old that he still owed 19k on, because he'd been making minimum payments for 3 years.
This is a pretty worst-case scenario, but I've seen a lot of little things in this vein at the shop I worked at. We saw a lot of 70s/80s japanese bikes, mostly beat-up, not taken care of, owned by college students, that kind of thing. And one typical thing that would happen is it needs a new clutch, and 5 of the 10 clutch cover screws (all phillips screws, because japan didn't know what the gently caress it was doing back then) are frozen, stripped out, requiring dremeling and impact hammering or drilling or whatever. That turns a 45 minute job into a 3 hour one. It's annoying to the shop and the customer, but it's common, especially on old japanese bikes.

Mostly we never had issues with people deadbeating out of their bills and leaving us with lovely bikes, but we did have to invest a fair amount of time having long conversations with people to manage their expectations if they brought in a barn find for repair. We'd give them the Z3n talk and tell them it could range from 150 to 800, that kind of thing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is a pretty worst-case scenario, but I've seen a lot of little things in this vein at the shop I worked at. We saw a lot of 70s/80s japanese bikes, mostly beat-up, not taken care of, owned by college students, that kind of thing. And one typical thing that would happen is it needs a new clutch, and 5 of the 10 clutch cover screws (all phillips screws, because japan didn't know what the gently caress it was doing back then) are frozen, stripped out, requiring dremeling and impact hammering or drilling or whatever. That turns a 45 minute job into a 3 hour one. It's annoying to the shop and the customer, but it's common, especially on old japanese bikes.

Mostly we never had issues with people deadbeating out of their bills and leaving us with lovely bikes, but we did have to invest a fair amount of time having long conversations with people to manage their expectations if they brought in a barn find for repair. We'd give them the Z3n talk and tell them it could range from 150 to 800, that kind of thing.

Aren't they all JIS, not Phillips?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iwentdoodie posted:

Aren't they all JIS, not Phillips?

Nope. Just like Harleys are a mix of imperial and metric these days, the old japanese bikes had all sorts of fasteners running around.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Another thing to think about is the availability of OEM parts. If I remember correctly manufacturers are only required to make parts for models for 10 years. Usually parts are available for much longer due to things being common between model years. (I'm not talking about wear/maintenance items)

My local dealership has it posted that they have the option to refuse to do work on bikes older than 10 years, yet they had no problem doing work on my 12 year old Kawasaki Police 1000.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

poo poo, I remember a guy who had a $20,000 GSX-R600. Crashed it, wanted it stretched and lowered, and they just kept rolling it into his loan on the bike...eventually, he had a slammed, crashed, stretched GSX-R600 that was 3 years old that he still owed 19k on, because he'd been making minimum payments for 3 years.

:psypop: I cant even fathom letting it get that bad

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mcqueen posted:

Hahaha I like that too. Rash your bike for its own protection, folks.

Or ride an old piece of poo poo.

I like to imagine the jerkbag who tore the cover off of my bike was looking for bikes to steal and went all "Bah, another Sucksuki, what a waste of time" when he saw it.

EDIT: The video linked in the Reddit thread has one of the greatest smilies ever in the comments: ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 5, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That turns a 45 minute job into a 3 hour one.

And you're not going to get paid for that time because the price was agreed up front.

If the shop does something small but finds something big, it's lose-lose for them. They won't get paid if the fix it but they'll get tons of poo poo if they don't. The customer doesn't want to hear bad things about his bike, he certainly doesn't want to hear that they didn't immediately fix it at no extra cost, he doesn't want to book new time for it and if it breaks on the road afterwards, it's the shop's fault.

Shops are bad because customers are bad. DIY till I die.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

your typical dealership doesn't touch them with a ten foot pole because the couple of bucks they lose in shop fees are made up by the next squid who wants a gixxah.

They're also pushing watercraft and ATVs. Try getting someone to pick up the phone when people are buying cottage toys in bulk or when hunting season's around the corner. Where do you think a vintage UJM sits in this food chain?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Marv Hushman posted:

They're also pushing watercraft and ATVs. Try getting someone to pick up the phone when people are buying cottage toys in bulk or when hunting season's around the corner. Where do you think a vintage UJM sits in this food chain?

Found an indie who not only has a set of take off BT45s for a song, he's discounting even more for a fellow two stroke rider.

I loving LOVE vintage bike guys. Seriously some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo, I was driving home from the airport today and noticed that 70% of the riders I see are not wearing helmets now (Michigan). What the gently caress is wrong with these people? It makes me want to punch people in the head until they put on a helmet. I liked it better when these morons were protected from themselves.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

During the work week 99% of the riders I see have helmets. On the weekends only 10% are wearing helmets. So the weekend warriors who dust off the bikes three times a year think they are too cool for helmets.

The first non helmet fatality happened last weekend. What a stupid law.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
2 days ago, I went on a quick ride to/from campus. On the way back from campus, I saw 3 bikes. 2 were Harleys without helmets, and both riders had helmets strapped to the pillion. Gotta love it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Helmets are in the minority here in AZ. It's pretty sad. I don't care THAT much, though. I kinda like it, in a way, cause I can use it as a simple visual measurement of how much I, as a BMW rider wearing full gear, am better than everyone else.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Helmets are in the minority here in AZ. It's pretty sad. I don't care THAT much, though. I kinda like it, in a way, cause I can use it as a simple visual measurement of how much I, as a BMW rider wearing full gear, am better than everyone else.

Saw a husband and wife earlier on matching BMWs with half helmets and Columbia jackets and pants on.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I was showing off my Sena Bluetooth system to a couple of goons. I can't imagine riding without my helmet not just for safety and comfort but how would I get by without access to Siri and all my tunes?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Dolphin posted:

I liked it better when these morons were protected from themselves.

Protected in what sense? Prior to the repeal, all they ever wore were carbon fiber yarmulkes anyway.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Aside from the protection against pavement, I don't understand what feels good about being hit in the face with rocks and bugs at 80 mph.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thylacine posted:

Aside from the protection against pavement, I don't understand what feels good about being hit in the face with rocks and bugs at 80 mph.

They're freedom bugs, motherfucker.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I got pelted with Red Admiral butterflies a few days ago. An especially fat one exploded all over my visor. That made me pull into a highway rest stop. I can't imagine being one of the :smug: non-full-faced and strolling into the rest stop like that.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah, riding through dairy farm county I need to clean my visor with a windshield brush at every gas stop. Who the hell would want all that on their face?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I really can't see tires and a chain turning into a 1000+ repair. That argument makes no sense. There's nothing more to doing it on an old bike versus a new one.

If you lived anywhere near me, I'd probably do it for free and buy you a pizza and a beer too. Anyway, that's what I usually do for local forum members. If I had to make a living wrenching 30 y.o. bikes, I'd probably charge you $1K just for looking at it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah, riding through dairy farm county I need to clean my visor with a windshield brush at every gas stop. Who the hell would want all that on their face?

I live in a farming area and I would never ride with an open faced out here.

Hell, just the other night I had my visor up, left the place I was at and had to turn around and return to sit down for 10 minutes because I copped a large moth or something right in my eye. I can't imagine dealing with that crap all the time - I couldn't keep my eye open at all because of all the bug guys and poo poo on it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I once counted eight midges inside my lower eyelid.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

I once counted eight midges inside my lower eyelid.

And 3 Bettys and 2 Veronicas inside the other one.

what the gently caress is wrong with me

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I was unsure if midge was the correct name for the particular tiny flying fucker in question, but it took a different direction than what I was expecting.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I've been zapped with windshield washer fluid several times, Friday being the latest. I really don't care to find out what methanol eyedrops feel like at speed.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

I was unsure if midge was the correct name for the particular tiny flying fucker in question, but it took a different direction than what I was expecting.

You live in Norway, so what you encountered was probably Dipterids of the suborder Nematocera. Nasty bastards. The smell of burned Gnats on a warm H4 headlight is however delicious.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ola posted:

Here's hoping this particular Midge only gets to you via earbuds.

and drat my caffeine starved brain cells for not finding a way to work Dancing With Tears In My Eyes into this somehow...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

Sir Cornelius posted:

what you encountered was probably Dipterids of the suborder Nematocera.

This, or

wikipedia posted:

Midge Klump is a fictional character appearing Archie Comics.

Alternatively,

wikipedia posted:

Midge Hadley is a fictional doll character in the Barbie line of toys by Mattel that was first released in 1963. Midge was created, along with Skipper, to counteract criticism that claimed Barbie was a sex symbol. She was marketed as Barbie's best friend.

I'll stop now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dipterids! Thanks, I'll remember that. On the whole I'm quite happy with the Norwegian fauna. Nothing with ridiculous teeth or poisons - one notable exception being those pesky ticks. They freak me out. Like an idiot, I image searched ticks while posting. Now I'll have nightmares for a week.

http://lavvumann.blogspot.com/2010/04/har-du-sett-makan-til-flattangrep.html :nms:

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
How hard is changing tires on a motorcycle? Worth the cost to just have it done or easy enough to do on my own? I don't have a garage anymore and had to sell most of my tools so I have a pretty minimal toolset.

I just realized I'm kind of answering my own question as I go along here, move along.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I hunt quite a bit. Unfortunately all my pretend-to-be-friends are girls and/or faggots that simply refuse to clean their own deer. That's my job. While I enjoy turning innocent dead animals into meat, I do not enjoy Ixodes ricinus. You won't believe the amount of those fuckers attached to the average dead Bambi.

Ja, korrekt gættet. To skovflåt bed mig i bollerne sidste efterår. Sataner! Ved ikke helt om det er klimaforandringer eller andet, men mængden af dem er nærmest eksploderet i Skandinavien. Det er nok ikke noget der vil gavne tourist-erhvervet at tale om, så lad os håbe at Google translate ikke kan klare den her ;)

"[panic posted:

"]
How hard is changing tires on a motorcycle? Worth the cost to just have it done or easy enough to do on my own? I don't have a garage anymore and had to sell most of my tools so I have a pretty minimal toolset.

I just realized I'm kind of answering my own question as I go along here, move along.

It's not that hard. I've used this method for years: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

Some tires has a orange or yellow balancing dot. If they do place that opposite the valve.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 6, 2012

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ugh, I just finished cleaning my garage and I was backing my bike in. I tripped on the raised edge of the entrance and fell backwards, Luckily I had about half a second to roll before my bike fell on the left. The clutch lever and gear shift peg is completely sheered off. Luckily I'll be in California the next two weeks so I won't be missing much riding. I was planning on having my brother start it once or twice while I'm gone so the battery doesn't completely dry up but it looks like he cant now.

Shifter

Peg

:(

I ordered new parts but they wont get here till I'm far away.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 6, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Nope. Just like Harleys are a mix of imperial and metric these days, the old japanese bikes had all sorts of fasteners running around.

Are you sure this isn't just because of previous owners?

My buddy's xs650 had been "converted" from metric to imperial by the previous owner.
...meaning he stripped every screw and bolt on the bike and just threw in whatever he had lying around.
My favorite was the grade 8 steel bolts he used on the forks. Instead of replacing the stripped stud he just took a larger grade 8 bold and ran it up into the soft aluminum.
oh... the bolt is .75" too long? No problem, he used a stcak of various sized washers to shore it up :haw:

KozmoNaut posted:

EDIT: The video linked in the Reddit thread has one of the greatest smilies ever in the comments: ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Enjoy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_emoticons&oldid=470032724

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you lived anywhere near me, I'd probably do it for free and buy you a pizza and a beer too. Anyway, that's what I usually do for local forum members. If I had to make a living wrenching 30 y.o. bikes, I'd probably charge you $1K just for looking at it.

This is my biggest fault. I've taken on 5 projects for other people. All of them complete builds. Like strip everything and wure wheel the rust from every screw/bolt rebuilds. Not only do I not accept monetary compensation, I usually wind up donating hundreds of dollars worth of parts from my stockpile and buying a lot of things out of pocket, just because.
Vintage bike owners can be awesome to a fault.

:cool::hf::3:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 6, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
A friend of mine just sold his GS500E and bought a late-70s or early-80s CB400 Hawk. He's planning to cafe it out. I had been trying to persuade him to upgrade to a SV and was showing him the quaint world of SV customization. He preferred the typical UJM-cafe world. Oh well. I tried the CB, and it was anemically slow and the single-disc front brake barely worked while the rear drum braked fine. Advised him about it. He still thinks the bike is badass. I don't get those people.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Imagine what other people think about modding sv650s.

Tenchrono, that would have only hurt the battery anyway. You need to be riding bikes to charge the battery (or at least revving them). Most bikes drain the battery at idle.

Bummer about the bike drop but you ain't the first and won't be the last if it makes you feel any better. Lucky for me when I tipped over a bike moving it in the garage, it was my dad's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

I tried the CB, and it was anemically slow and the single-disc front brake barely worked while the rear drum braked fine.

I have heard that most of those early discs actually performed worse than the twin-leading drums they were replacing. Drums aren't lacking for stopping power, after all...just resistance to fade and linearity of response.