Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

It seems like that's about the only way it stands out:

pre:
2012 Scion iQ Hatchback 
Base Price 	$15,995 
EPA MPG 	36/37/37
Curb weight 	2150 lbs
Layout		Front-engine, FWD, 4-pass, 2-door hatchback
Engine 		1.3L/94-hp/89-lb-ft DOHC 16-valve I-4
Transmission 	cont. variable auto
Dimensions	120.1 x 66.1 x 59.1 in 
That's kind of lame for $16k base, which is $4000 more than a Smart car.

Yeah, but the base model Smart lacks things that the base model iQ has. To start with, a radio. And the iQ has power windows. Oh and air conditioning. Power steering...

Hey you know if you compare the $15k Smart car to the $16k iQ you're looking at a rather straight across comparison. Though the iQ is still a four seater to the fortwo's, well.. two.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

The iQ stands out from the Smart by not being awful by almost every metric. Four years ago when I was looking at used cars I ended up at a Smart dealership (from the looks of the place, it was really a used car dealership with some Smarts kicking around). I drove one for five minutes and I was just like...really? The salesman directed me back to the used car that brought me there in the first place without protest.

While the iQ is still a pretty bad value by any standard (in the 'States, at least), it's at a car that actually feels like a car. At least that's what people say, I haven't driven one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah I still don't know of many reasons you'd choose an iQ or smart over something like a Mazda 2, Kia Rio, Yaris, Fit, etc. Or even a regular-rear end American compact car like an Elantra or Corolla or something. I can think of few reasons why having a tiny car instead of merely a regular subcompact would actually be a benefit instead of a pain in the rear end. The 3-5 mpg difference really isn't that big when we're talking about mileages in the 30s to start with.

I never drove a second-gen US smart, but I did drive one of the first generation ones around the block and it was pretty drat bad. Like tiny Chinese car bad. But the colors were fun!

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 5, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah I mean I still don't know of many reasons you'd choose an iQ over something like a Mazda 2, Kia Rio, or a Yaris or something. I can think of few reasons why having a tiny car instead of merely a regular subcompact would actually be a benefit instead of a pain in the rear end. The 3-5 mpg difference really isn't that big when we're talking about mileages in the 30s to start with.

Think of the cygnet body kits!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Think of the cygnet body kits!

Body kit? I believe you mean "bespoke luxury commuter car". Apparently Aston Martin labors under the impression that people buy their cars for the "design, craftsmanship, and attention to detail" put into the interior and not because they look cool and are loud and fast.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Body kit? I believe you mean "bespoke luxury commuter car". Apparently Aston Martin labors under the impression that people buy their cars for the "design, craftsmanship, and attention to detail" put into the interior and not because they look cool and are loud and fast.

but everybody will be making cygnet body kits for the iQ. when aston sues one into the ground, 2 more will pop up in it's place.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

but everybody will be making cygnet body kits for the iQ. when aston sues one into the ground, 2 more will pop up in it's place.

Yeah but why go through the trouble when you can just buy a Ford Fiesta in a few years that will come looking like that from the factory.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you live in SF or NYC and are street parking the iQ would be great.

Otherwise, no idea.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone interested in a 545HP AWD hot hatch with a dual clutch gear box?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-juke-r.html

It's a Nissan Juke that's been lowered and has the complete 2012 GT-R drivetrain in it. Nissan has confirmed a limited run due to "overwhelming demand".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone interested in a 545 HP hot hatch?

It's a Nissan Juke that's been lowered and has the complete 2012 GT-R drivetrain in it. Nissan has confirmed a limited run due to "overwhelming demand".

I still can't believe they out it into (limited) production.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If you live in SF or NYC and are street parking the iQ would be great.

Otherwise, no idea.

Yeah but what sort of crazy person would even bother driving in NYC? You might as well do Zipcar or something, since the only times you'll not use public transit in NYC is if you're taking a longish trip or you need to carry a bunch of people/stuff. I guess maybe it might be useful in some of the outer boroughs, but then parking isn't as awful there, either. Not sure how things work in SF, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe they out it into (limited) production.

It costs $590,000 and they're only making 20 or so, so it's hardly a production car. It's still very cool they're even bothering, but let's not pretend this is anything more than an oil sheik/Russian billionaire/Chinese billionaire special.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cream_Filling posted:

Not sure how things work in SF, though.

Fight to find a parking space; park car; come back to missing car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Fight to find a parking space; park car; come back to missing car.

....or the infamous "get home late, drive around for 45 minutes to find a spot within a 25 block radius, secure spot, catch a cab to go home.......wake up, spend another 45 minutes trying to find your car."

OH I MISS U SF.

I showed my Mom the new Ford Escape and she's not digging the new catfish mouth styling and is still clutching on to her sturdy 2004.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

davebo posted:

Well the reason I don't get a CTS wagon is mainly price but yeah, the Magnum is okay but a 4 speed auto just feels outdated at this point and I'd really prefer a new car since I tend to keep cars more than 10 years and reliability is essential. Also I'd go for the V6 since this is just a daily driver/work car. For now I'm sticking with my plan of 2013 Fusion or 2012 Optima, I'd just like to see more wagons and if someone does make the right one, maybe I'll trade in eventually.

Just an FYI, you the Magnums had the Merc 5-speed auto in them too.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mighty Horse posted:

Just an FYI, you the Magnums had the Merc 5-speed auto in them too.
Base models with the 2.7 and some 3.5 "SE" versions had a four speed for a few years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

That thing does look pretty wicked.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

EdEddnEddy posted:

That thing does look pretty wicked.

For 600 hundred thousand, I could buy a new GTR and pay someone else to do the engine conversion and then commission my own body kit from one of those custom companies and still have 300k left over to buy another super car. It's nice, but not 600k nice.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Naky posted:

For 600 hundred thousand, I could buy a new GTR and pay someone else to do the engine conversion and then commission my own body kit from one of those custom companies and still have 300k left over to buy another super car. It's nice, but not 600k nice.

Honestly for $600k you could probably make 3 of those. But I applaud Nissan for doing something crazy and putting it into production.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ok so I just need to have some high-profile and well-respected member of Dubai society request Nissan put a six speed manual in the GT-R and then it might happen.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
So this Veloster Turbo that is supposed to be hitting the market in 2 months has a matte grey paint option. What sort of special care would that need?

(PS: Ford, make the ST available with matte black like that JukeT-R and I'm in)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Arclyte posted:

So this Veloster Turbo that is supposed to be hitting the market in 2 months has a matte grey paint option. What sort of special care would that need?

None. None, in that, you can't ever wax the car, buff it, wet sand it and polish imperfections, etc. Honestly, matte paint looks loving awesome but you're going to hate maintaining it and god forbid you get into an accident and need it to get painted. No shop, regardless of how high end, has perfected the art of dust-less clearcoat application. They can fix it and high end shops automatically will, but guess how they fix it :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arclyte posted:

If it's anything like the BMW, you have to wash the car front to back the second a bird poops on it, and can't wipe it down at all.

Are you sure it's matte grey and not just gloss grey vs metallic silver?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Powershift posted:

If it's anything like the BMW, you have to wash the car front to back the second a bird poops on it, and can't wipe it down at all.

Are you sure it's matte grey and not just gloss grey vs metallic silver?

Yeah, it's a matte grey. I've seen it and there are pictures of it around the net as well as confirmation of it being a color option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Naky posted:

Yeah, it's a matte grey. I've seen it and there are pictures of it around the net as well as confirmation of it being a color option.

Huh, neat, hopefully we have a lot of guinea pigs to show us how it stands up to regular use.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Why would you willingly pay for the torture that is matte paint?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Faceless Clock posted:

Why would you willingly pay for the torture that is matte paint?

This is a bit like asking a woman why she would wear high heels. The answer is the same really, "Because it's sexy".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ah, but what about matte vinyl? Would that be as awful? Because if not, then considering matte paint is usually a pretty expensive option, I'd pay the extra couple thousand and get that.

edit: Comedy Option: Plastidip

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well the car itself isn't new, but Nevada apparently just gave it's first autonomous driver license plates to google's Prius. I'm sure if they did it, they must have passed some tests that makes it not a danger to others, but I'm interested to see what it would do if I cut it off on the highway. I'm imagining this leading to a Minority Report type future where the cars all link to a grid, but I rage like crazy when my Gran Turismo B spec driver won't pass a slow car in front of him so I don't think it's for me.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

davebo posted:

Well the car itself isn't new, but Nevada apparently just gave it's first autonomous driver license plates to google's Prius. I'm sure if they did it, they must have passed some tests that makes it not a danger to others, but I'm interested to see what it would do if I cut it off on the highway. I'm imagining this leading to a Minority Report type future where the cars all link to a grid, but I rage like crazy when my Gran Turismo B spec driver won't pass a slow car in front of him so I don't think it's for me.

From what little I have looked into it, its only accident was due to a passanger taking the wheel :/

I do think that the future is self driving cars which would make driving technically much safer. As long as all cars can communicate to each other nearby, they have redundant backup systems, and overall the speed at which a computer can react is pretty dang high for emergency situations.

This will also finally make the Flying Car a posiblity since the main reason it has not been done yet, is the element of Human Error.

While we may not like to give it up, daily commuting would be a ton less stressful if you could just let a computer get you through the traffic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
So it's a normal gray color with a matte clear?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

allonblack posted:

This is a bit like asking a woman why she would wear high heels. The answer is the same really, "Because it's sexy".

What? It's not like that at all. She can take the high heels off.

The matte paint job? You're stuck with it. Also, it's not going to look sexy in five years when it isn't a fad anymore (it is, without a doubt, a fad).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EdEddnEddy posted:

This will also finally make the Flying Car a posiblity since the main reason it has not been done yet, is the element of Human Error.

Err, also the fact that flying takes a hell of a lot of power (making it less efficient) and is inherently super-dangerous since any mechanical fault will result in instant death for you and anyone beneath you when you hit the ground. What's the advantage of flying if there's already roads to where you want to go and you're allowed to drive at high speeds? Besides the coolness factor, obviously.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Cream_Filling posted:

if there's already roads
Roads!? Where we're going, we don't need roads!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cream_Filling posted:

Err, also the fact that flying takes a hell of a lot of power (making it less efficient) and is inherently super-dangerous since any mechanical fault will result in instant death for you and anyone beneath you when you hit the ground. What's the advantage of flying if there's already roads to where you want to go and you're allowed to drive at high speeds? Besides the coolness factor, obviously.

We're not allowed to drive at high speeds...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

to ease congestion, mainly. Think of how quickly you can get across a city in a helicopter, say, rather than a car or bus or even subway. At rush-hour. That's what people envisage when they talk about flying cars, a personal A->B non-stop helicopter ride. What it would look like in reality though is 3d congestion and people shooting rifles at the cars flying over their house.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Mechnical faults can be overcome with redundant systems + safety backups, the speed advantage would be airways that are much more direct routes to whever you want to go (think multi level highways direct to your destination + 10Lane wide 1 way) + 150MPH or faster speed limit is well, > 55Mph average.

The tech is there but as long as the human element has existed, there has been no reason to move it forward. It is still a long way off, but it is getting closer the closer we have driving cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Top Gear has a little picture-book write-up on the build:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/nissan-juke-r-nissan-gtr-one-off-build-gallery-2011-12-09?imageNo=0

When you figure £100k+ for the donor cars, and 4 months of fabrication to build it, and adding in a "we'll build you one, but it'll cost you" surcharge, £400k doesn't seem that far out of reality.

I love how this has gone from a Super-Secret-Skunkworks-Not-Even-Nissan-Knows-We're-Doing-This project to a something Nissan is actually going to release onto public roads with corporate blessing. I wonder if it'll spark a renaissance of bespoke shed-built halo cars wearing official corporate attire, like the old homologation rules begat?

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

MN-Ghost posted:

Probably because the CTS-V is more comparable to the M3 in terms of price. The M5 has enough of a heftier price tag to put it in a completely different class. Probably not a lot of people cross shopping a CTS-V with an M5.

It's strange, because all the comparisons I see are CTS-V vs E63 AMG vs M5. They probably do this because of the size instead of the price, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

Mechnical faults can be overcome with redundant systems + safety backups, the speed advantage would be airways that are much more direct routes to whever you want to go (think multi level highways direct to your destination + 10Lane wide 1 way) + 150MPH or faster speed limit is well, > 55Mph average.

The tech is there but as long as the human element has existed, there has been no reason to move it forward. It is still a long way off, but it is getting closer the closer we have driving cars.

Backups and redundant systems are expensive and heavy. Heavy means that your air vehicle now requires more thrust for everything; especially if you're now doubling up on engines that are independently capable of taking off (and for twin-jets like every commercial air carrier flies, they are). General aviation is expensive today, and that's mostly with aircraft that don't have backups of anything except radios.