Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

CommieGIR posted:

I used to have an Halon Extinguisher someone gave me...

That's probably the last thing you'd want to extinguish your average car fire with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm just going to leave this here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6hxOoM0-NJI#t=142s

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Exploding/Burning that car? Seems like more of a success than a failure. :smug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

That's probably the last thing you'd want to extinguish your average car fire with.

Mostly because it's worth too much money.

But it would work just the same as CO2, so it would still work just fine (providing it's not too windy and the fire isn't too large).

I use a CO2 extinguisher in the shop, backed up by a dry chem. If I light something off while torching or welding, I always go for the clean agent extinguisher first as to not make a hell of a mess. If that works, great. If not, I'm spending the rest of the day cleaning up dry chem powder.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
CO2 or Halon will just drop out the bottom of the engine bay. It might be enough to extinguish the initial flames, but if you have a flareup you are hosed, or if it drops out too fast.

Edit: If I had the money to throw at extinguishers, I'd use halon first for the potential ease of cleanup, with the backup dry chemical.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

CO2 or Halon will just drop out the bottom of the engine bay. It might be enough to extinguish the initial flames, but if you have a flareup you are hosed, or if it drops out too fast.

Edit: If I had the money to throw at extinguishers, I'd use halon first for the potential ease of cleanup, with the backup dry chemical.

The primary mechanism of extinguishment for CO2 and Halon/Halotron when used in an extinguisher (i.e. not a sealed room system) is cooling, followed by very temporary oxygen displacement. It doesn't matter that it "drops out" of the engine bay as it's not being used in that manner.

This is why on clean agent room-type systems the Halotron simply drops in from deluge nozzles, where extinguishers of the same type have cones on them to work like an expansion valve.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

The primary mechanism of extinguishment for CO2 and Halon/Halotron when used in an extinguisher (i.e. not a sealed room system) is cooling, followed by very temporary oxygen displacement. It doesn't matter that it "drops out" of the engine bay as it's not being used in that manner.

This is why on clean agent room-type systems the Halotron simply drops in from deluge nozzles, where extinguishers of the same type have cones on them to work like an expansion valve.

Yeah, I ended up using it to put out a fire when I was doing a chemistry experiment. It worked EXTREMELY well, I also had a CO2 extinguisher but the Halon was closer and worked faster.

I have a smaller Halon extinguisher I have by the basement door because of all the engine cleaner and fuels I have down there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's more than one "Halon", remember, so check exactly what you're using, especially if it's in an enclosed space.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Das Volk posted:

Punching three holes into the door of an R34 was a far greater crime than blowing up that thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

There's more than one "Halon", remember, so check exactly what you're using, especially if it's in an enclosed space.

Yes. It was used in a hood so it was well ventilated.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Punching three holes into the door of an R34 was a far greater crime than blowing up that thing.

Surely the doors on the GT-R are the same as on any two-door R34?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
Continuing the fire extinguisher talk, I fill and test Ansul Inergen fire extinguishers as part of my job. They are basically Halon replacements that are non ozone depleting. Youtube has a bunch of videos showing Inergen systems. Some of the systems I fill and test for are massive. This batch is 80 cylinders and is being installed somewhere in Buffalo NY. The gas mixture ratio has to be pretty exacting in order for the system to be safe for humans and to work as intended.

Size comparison of one of the cylinders compared to a normal 300 cf size oxygen cylinder.

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
Woah, what PSI are those bad boys kept at and what is the operating pressure of the system.

I used to work in a scuba shop where we would fill 100cf (80cf is the norm) to 3k, 3.3k max. This would all be regulated down to 125-150psi at the regulator.

We did have some guys decide to stack burst disks ( over pressure blow out disks) to get the tanks to 3.8k but I didnt hang around to watch those get filled.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Timbo posted:

Woah, what PSI are those bad boys kept at and what is the operating pressure of the system.

I used to work in a scuba shop where we would fill 100cf (80cf is the norm) to 3k, 3.3k max. This would all be regulated down to 125-150psi at the regulator.

We did have some guys decide to stack burst disks ( over pressure blow out disks) to get the tanks to 3.8k but I didnt hang around to watch those get filled.

First off those guys are loving idiots. There are DOT stamps on cylinders for a reason.

The oxygen 300 actually has more pressure in it than the Inergen cylinders. The oxygen is filled to 2640 @ 70⁰F. Although during the filling process they will get to over 3000 psi. The Inergen in the pictures are at 2265 @ 70⁰F. We also have cylinders that are filled to 3500, 4500, and 6000 psi @ 70⁰F.

I don't have a picture of the Inergen valves but those have an actuator pin that when pressed dumps all of the gas from the cylinder.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Farside posted:

I don't have a picture of the Inergen valves but those have an actuator pin that when pressed dumps all of the gas from the cylinder.

That sounds like a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon... :smuggo:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sponge! posted:

1. Attach fins and aerodynamic nose
2. ???
3. Profit!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sponge! posted:

I worked refilling dry chem extinguishers in high school. That poo poo is down right scary when something lets loose. The procedure for depressurizing an extinguisher before testing and refill is to slowly unscrew the head until it lets out the nitrogen and hope it doesn't make a loving mess or flat out fly off the cylinder (some old rear end heads had weak/shallow threads). I hated that job so much at the time.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ Yikes! I would've figured they just pulled the pin and discharged them into some sort of recovery system.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Puddin posted:

I'm sure this thread is an elaborate troll, but if not this guy needs some serious parking practice. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1908933

It's amazing how many university students' cars are parked like that at my work.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Bucephalus posted:

^ Yikes! I would've figured they just pulled the pin and discharged them into some sort of recovery system.

At the time it was a tiny shop and we didn't have a setup to discharge and recover dry chem. Letting the charge out keeps most of the powder in the extinguisher that way you don't need to empty it out if it isn't due for a hydrotest. This was like 10-12 years ago, so no idea if it's still done this way (or if there are any changes to the regulations concerning this stuff).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

It's amazing how many university students' cars are parked like that at my work.

Sometimes people say gently caress it when they are just trying to park hungover as poo poo.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BlackMK4 posted:

Sometimes people say gently caress it when they are just trying to park hungover drunk as poo poo.
No need to tiptoe around it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Das Volk posted:

I laughed out loud (not normal for me) when I saw that scene the first time.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I always figured that was the lovely off-brand tank exploding due to pressure+heat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

Non-getto shops do. What 8th-samurai described is quite dangerous and a massive OSHA violation.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Motronic posted:

Non-getto shops do. What 8th-samurai described is quite dangerous and a massive OSHA violation.

Yeah, it was a while ago so they probably do it differently now that they have a much larger shop and do more business. I actually can't find an OSHA regulation that requires a discharge and recovery system. The regs covering hydro testing just all say to use the manufactures recommendations on emptying and recharging (which frankly probably do say to use some sort of discharge system).

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mutt2jeff posted:

You can't post that without some kind of backstory. :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sponge! posted:

My last ship, the temperature in the smoke pit onboard was hitting 135+ while in the gulf. We had a CO2 extinguisher out there. After a few days the pressure built high enough that the pressure release let go, except it also shot the valve off the top of the bottle. Want to talk about scaring 40 sailors shitless?

All I heard as a loud rear end bang, then the world turned white.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

some texas redneck posted:

You can't post that without some kind of backstory. :colbert:

All the backstory I have is that is was a Subaru engine with an incorrectly installed turbo.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

mutt2jeff posted:

That's loving brutal. I need to know how to replicate that. Tell me more.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mutt2jeff posted:

So, what exactly were those kidneys before? Turbo parts? Valves? Piston pieces?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Guessing what's left of the piston after somebody kept driving it after it clearly had suffered a major malfunction.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
That looks like a block, with a piston melted and separated in two, above a conrod twisted like a pretzel and broken in half. God drat

haxality
Oct 18, 2009

mutt2jeff posted:

I want to know what kind of sounds this made.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

haxality posted:

I want to know what kind of sounds this made.

I would guess all of them?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Youtube video of today still uploading - some of my friends took better ones during an actual test, this was just a fuckaround test while they were waiting for me to finish welding the nozzle/endcap onto the larger rocket engine. This is oxygen @ around 200psi and an acrylic plastic fuel grain threaded onto the end of the oxy supply line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEH5RTfoRo

Some pics of various ghetto rockets we built out of plumbing supplies at home depot, all running high pressure oxygen gas as the oxidizer:

Apparently regular aluminum stock isn't rocket nozzle grade. Who knew?

Failure mode: combustion chamber pressure built up till it leaked between the chamber end and bolted-on nozzle. Heat built up till the aluminum lost its strength, then the weakest portion of the wall began blowing out right next to one of the mounting bolts till it simply blew the nozzle off.

Looks like we have some nozzle erosion too... who would have thought 200+ psi worth of oxygen burning an acrylic fuel grain would cause that kind of thing? (I expected this, but it proved the concept and now there's a reason to build the next rocket with steel or better)

This one is more of a fuel/oxidizer delivery system failure than a horrible mechanical failure, but it's neat. The oxygen tank ran out of oxygen and the rocket promptly went from creating a deafening roar and a significant amount of thrust to being more of a smoke machine, and quickly filled the entire yard with thick black smoke. The neighbors nearly called the fire department.

My brother took a lot of decent pics with his real camera (all the above are from my cellphone) including one that he luckily got mid-failure, so there's a pretty good fireball and shower of molten metal in midair, and my friend Jack whose idea this whole ridiculous experiment was had his camera taking a video, so hopefully I'll have a full test video of the actual rocket (the aluminum one above) and some good shots of its timely death by tomorrow.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love that in that video, everyone runs and hides except for Trent Reznor Jr.

Can't wait for the real videos.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
bully Victim turned tazer victim

Jailhouse bully on the phone won't shut the gently caress up and let everyone else in the cell sleep. Gets tired of being told to quiet down by one sleeping guy and bully takes his frustration out on him.

Problem is the guy the bully starts whuppin on jumps up off the floor where he is sleeping and just took a few licks and puts an rear end-whupping on the bully in return for the unwarranted assault.

Guards respond with a taser just as the knockout punch to the bully is delivered.

video volume warning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_8LDiLNyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
That taser functioned properly although it might have hit the wrong target.