Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm looking for a phone to replace my dad's Hero because it's stopped working. He's eligible for an upgrade and wants to spend ~$200. He does a lot of traveling into places with weak signals so call quality is the biggest priority. I was looking at the Nexus, and the battery life issue has been brought up a lot. If all he'll be doing is using it to make occasional phone calls and check email every now and then, is it going to be a non-issue? I was looking at the web-site and looks like there is a new HTC EVO coming out, should he wait for that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking for a phone to replace my dad's Hero because it's stopped working. He's eligible for an upgrade and wants to spend ~$200. He does a lot of traveling into places with weak signals so call quality is the biggest priority. I was looking at the Nexus, and the battery life issue has been brought up a lot. If all he'll be doing is using it to make occasional phone calls and check email every now and then, is it going to be a non-issue? I was looking at the web-site and looks like there is a new HTC EVO coming out, should he wait for that one?

Its a hard call because the evo LTE isn't out yet, so its just unknown. In general, the phones probably will get better battery life after the first few months with a software update, but I don't know yet. I haven't gotten my galaxy nexus yet, so I can't comment on battery life.

Oh, I did play with the new evo yesterday though. It is a slick phone, looks good overall to me. I'll still take the galaxy nexus, but for some people it will be tempting.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Bioshuffle posted:

The quick access power hog menu (I don't know it's actual name) is a desktop option (on my Nexus) that gives me one-click turn-on/off buttons for Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, sync and display. After a few days feeling it out, judicious use of these gets me to 20 hours between charges. GPS seems to be the worst offender. If I'm in a building with a steel structure and more then 4 floors, GPS doesn't work (but never stops looking).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bioshuffle posted:

Any particular reason you're looking at only Android stuff? I mean does he have a preference for Android, or is this like when guys in the late 90's would setup a computer for email for their grandmothers and would ask for advice on which distro of Linux to put on it?

edit: That really seems to come off more dickish than I intended. Just curious why you're not considering an iPhone.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 3, 2012

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Q_res posted:

Any particular reason you're looking at only Android stuff? I mean does he have a preference for Android, or is this like when guys in the late 90's would setup a computer for email for their grandmothers and would ask for advice on which distro of Linux to put on it?

edit: That really seems to come off more dickish than I intended. Just curious why you're not considering an iPhone.

Dickish or not, I died laughing here at work on front of my students... :)

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

The new EVO is going to get very good battery life. Anandtech just reviewed the AT&T version and that S4 qualcomm chip is really really good at sipping battery.

I have the GNex and the battery life is interesting with this phone. I feel like the 3G radio is not very efficient - but on WiFi it will give you tons of standby (like less than 1% drain per hour) and about 2 to 3 hours of screen on time.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Jensen posted:

The new EVO is going to get very good battery life. Anandtech just reviewed the AT&T version and that S4 qualcomm chip is really really good at sipping battery.

I have the GNex and the battery life is interesting with this phone. I feel like the 3G radio is not very efficient - but on WiFi it will give you tons of standby (like less than 1% drain per hour) and about 2 to 3 hours of screen on time.

Yes, my gnexus gets at least 4 hours screen time on wifi. I tested by streaming movies over wifi to my nexus and it lasted 4hr15m. On 3g away from wifi I get maybe two hours screen time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bykf3eca9ovr923/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-46.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rolhdwz30ujmjf/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-55.png

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Some sort of ICS leak is happening for the Evo 3d over at rootzwiki I think

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sonicice posted:

Some sort of ICS leak is happening for the Evo 3d over at rootzwiki I think

For Virgin Mobile. Not for Sprint yet.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Bioshuffle posted:

Just so you are aware, the sprint galaxy nexus does not seem to have very strong radios. I'm not talking about the bars display either, but the actual numbers. I've got 5 phones on my plan, all were switched from moments (and one hero). All 5 are weaker in this area than the previous phones were. For example, known call drop spots in our commutes through back country areas have expanded considerably from their previous size. We love the things anyway but I am worried about this. Especially for wifi. Hotels usually have poor signals and I use my phone as my travel computer.

This seemed to be a complaint on the Verizon phone too, anyone else having trouble with it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Just so you are aware, the sprint galaxy nexus does not seem to have very strong radios. I'm not talking about the bars display either, but the actual numbers. I've got 5 phones on my plan, all were switched from moments (and one hero). All 5 are weaker in this area than the previous phones were. For example, known call drop spots in our commutes through back country areas have expanded considerably from their previous size. We love the things anyway but I am worried about this. Especially for wifi. Hotels usually have poor signals and I use my phone as my travel computer.

This seemed to be a complaint on the Verizon phone too, anyone else having trouble with it?

I'll know soon how mine performs, but the nexus s had an extremely similar problem that was fixed with a later software update. Hard to say why or if it's happening again, but it's happened before.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Wow. The Galaxy S III looks tantalizing.

In addition to the mean specs: MicroSD slot AND removable battery? :aaaaa:

We can expect this on sprint in... what... 8 months from now? :negative:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

moolchaba posted:

I'm guessing sometime between June and September probably. I have the E4GT and not due for an upgrade until next year so I'm waiting to see what the next Nexus and iPhone have in store first. (And actually leaning iPhone right now despite being an Android fanboy for years.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

moolchaba posted:

The Phone thread's been talking about it since this morning if you're wondering where all of the discussion is.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Lowen SoDium posted:

For Virgin Mobile. Not for Sprint yet.

Once the actual RUU gets released, it won't matter. VM's 3D is literally the same hardware as the Sprint one. Basically we should be seeing actual fully working ICS roms for the 3D within the week. loving finally.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Leathal posted:

Once the actual RUU gets released, it won't matter. VM's 3D is literally the same hardware as the Sprint one. Basically we should be seeing actual fully working ICS roms for the 3D within the week. loving finally.

I hope you're right...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Leathal posted:

Prepaid subsidiary beating parent company to the punch. :suspense: 2012 is great. :allears:

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 4, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Leathal posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1634506

There you go, JoelZ got it booting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Prepaid subsidiary beating parent company to the punch. :suspense: 2012 is great. :allears:

This is a terrible question for me: is boost getting the 3D? I thought they were only getting the design?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

PREYING MANTITS posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1634506

There you go, JoelZ got it booting.

Yup. Just flashed the firmware (need to be S OFF) and the Rom.

Everything works 100%, including 3D. Personally can't test WiMAX, but it should work as well.

My carrier text is Virgin Mobile but hey, fully working ICS!

Edit: Keep in mind that this isn't the same type of leak the Sensation and Rezound received. This is supposedly based off the official final RUU for the VM Evo 3D, not a buggy in house dev build like those other phones had leaked.

Edit Dos: And now the actual VM RUU is out. Here's hoping Sense 3.6 doesnt dig into the underlying ICS framework as much as Sense 3.0 did to Gingerbread. Otherwise we probably won't see any true AOSP/CM9/AOKP builds until the actual release drops and we get kernel source from HTC. Which could be loving August.

On the bright side, Sense 3.6 is a whooole lot nicer than 3.0. The customizable dock alone makes it so much more bearable. Don't know how they ever thought "App Drawer -- Phone -- Personalize" would be acceptable on a launcher hard coded to a 4x4 icon grid.

Also it looks a hell of a lot better with this Sense 4.0 styled theme:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.skin.szp_sade

Bubble gradients are so 2008.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 4, 2012

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

SeaborneClink posted:

My theory - they want to do a smaller-scale launch of ICS on the Evo 3D to make sure there are no massive problems with it before rolling it out on Sprint proper.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SneakyCracker posted:

My theory - they want to do a smaller-scale launch of ICS on the Evo 3D to make sure there are no massive problems with it before rolling it out on Sprint proper.

I think they will probably roll it out as an update at the same time it launches on Virgin or very shortly afterwards.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think they will probably roll it out as an update at the same time it launches on Virgin or very shortly afterwards.

I hope you're right. I've kept my Evo 3D completely stock for as long as I've had it (since Nov. of last year) purely because I want the ICS upgrade to go as trouble-free as it can. I cant wait to get ICS and root so I can get rid of bloatware, etc.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

SneakyCracker posted:

I hope you're right. I've kept my Evo 3D completely stock for as long as I've had it (since Nov. of last year) purely because I want the ICS upgrade to go as trouble-free as it can. I cant wait to get ICS and root so I can get rid of bloatware, etc.

There's no reason why after a wipe the ICS update wouldn't be trouble free. Root whenever you feel like it.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

There's no reason why after a wipe the ICS update wouldn't be trouble free. Root whenever you feel like it.

I should also add: I'm lazy.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I would switch back to an Evo 3D if it had ICS stock (and sense overlay) and I rooted just to get wifi sharing. That would be an awesome phone.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Leathal posted:

I haven't updated my firmware since I bought it and have been to lazy to root or learn how to do any of that. I used a lot of your recommendations for the pre. What's a good guide to get me up to ICS now? Thanks guys.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Leathal posted:

Everything works 100%, including 3D. Personally can't test WiMAX, but it should work as well.

First time after flashing it got to the HTC screen and rebooted itself and I freaked out thinking I was going to have to deal with bootloops but the second time it booted right up and it's been consistent ever since. Battery life seems to be pretty good too. Nothing wakelocking or anything which is a hell of an improvement over the previous ICS builds where bluetooth would drain your battery in a few hours unless you deleted the daemon.

The only issue I've ran into so far is that the Google Chrome beta gets all wonky looking with graphical glitches after you load a page and press the menu button. Other than that, smooth as can be.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
People have been reporting over on XDA that you don't need to flash the firmware to run the Evo 3D ICS leak. Might be something to keep in mind for those running an S-ON HBOOT (since you won't be able to flash an unsigned firmware anyways) or for people who are spergy enough to Get Real Upset about the Virgin Mobile carrier banner.

On the other hand, you can easily downgrade back to the latest OTA firmware (if you're S-OFF, natch) so there's really no reason NOT to update the firmware I suppose.

Hdip posted:

I haven't updated my firmware since I bought it and have been to lazy to root or learn how to do any of that. I used a lot of your recommendations for the pre. What's a good guide to get me up to ICS now? Thanks guys.

I'm assuming you're on the latest OTA and haven't monkeyed around with HBOOTs or custom recoveries.

You have two options basically:

1) Unlock Your Bootloader Via HTC
This is by far the easiest method and is almost idiot proof. Downsides being that HTC can potentially deny a warranty claim for software problems YOU caused (flashing something you shouldn't basically) - which is completely fair imo - and also that you won't be able to manually flash radios and firmware since you won't be S-ON.

After unlocking your bootloader, install the latest 4ext Recovery and make sure you get the SmartFlash one. It will let you install custom roms, and gets around a limitation of the HTC unlock by using black magic to allow you to flash kernels as well.

- OR -
(don't do both, poo poo WILL gently caress up)

2) Downgrade Your HBOOT and Get S-OFF
This is the power-user way, and is more "future-proof" than the other option. Also you have more flexibility with flashing radios and such, since you'll be S-OFF.

I haven't done this, since I got my phone way back at release and it came with the exploitable HBOOT. Not gonna write up instructions because anyone doing this needs to seriously sit down and read for a while. There's a not insignificant chance you'll permanently brick your phone.

- THEN -

Boot to recovery and flash this file.

If you went the S-OFF route, you might want to flash the firmware too which is floating around on XDA.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
As with all new things like this, I'm going to let other suckers people try this out for a while before I jump in. How is the performance compared to stock? Has the user experience changed very much with the Sense/ICS implementation?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Surely the official Sprint ICS rom for the 3D is coming at least by the end of this month? I really don't want to do anything unofficial because the reason I left Windows Mobile is because roms are for suckers.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Surely the official Sprint ICS rom for the 3D is coming at least by the end of this month? I really don't want to do anything unofficial because the reason I left Windows Mobile is because roms are for suckers.
........................................................so don't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All I know is that this Virgin Mobile rom is indeed pretty sweet, and is more or less exactly what I wanted to be happy with the phone. Fast as gently caress with stable ice cream sandwich. I was getting constant reboots from the latest clean rom, including every single time Bluetooth disconnected.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've noticed a lot of these guides mention Clockwork recovery now, but I've got TWRP recovery on my 3D from way back when I first rooted the phone. Should I switch or upgrade?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
Switch to 4ext touch recovery.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Yes, my gnexus gets at least 4 hours screen time on wifi. I tested by streaming movies over wifi to my nexus and it lasted 4hr15m. On 3g away from wifi I get maybe two hours screen time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bykf3eca9ovr923/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-46.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rolhdwz30ujmjf/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-55.png

I just did a 19 hour stint fully on 3G with 42 minutes of screen time. Honestly that's just not very good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was just told in the main Android thread that Sprint's ETF is the same (i.e., as low as it's going to get) once you're within five months of your contract date...is this true?

I have to decide whether to pay the ETF to leave for Straight Talk, or wait until July...my Evo is getting more and more ornery lately.

Quoting myself, hoping for an answer.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

DrBouvenstein posted:

Quoting myself, hoping for an answer.

True.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is this shady firmware you need to flash for ICS on Evo 3D backwards compatible, in case I want to go back to my Gingerbread rom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure you can just flash the old firmware back on if you need to.