Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wolfenstein 3D turns 20 today. You may now commence feeling really, really old. (But not as old as you'll feel in December 2013...)

And there are a ton of sourceports and mods out for it! And there'll be more in time - one of the ZDoom developers is doing a Wolf3D source port with DECORATE and all that goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoyKeVYz-O4

So maybe if you've got some spare time today in-between putting yourself outside of tacos, maybe take a little time to blow away some strangely brightly-dressed Nazis, explore some weird mazes, maybe try some mods... see how far we've come (and for that matter, how far Id went as little as a year later!)

Apparently Id will be doing their celebration next week, which should be interesting...

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Doom will always be the first true FPS in my eyes and Wolf3d has aged so badly that I will not take part in any celebrations!

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I was surprised to see that Wolf3D and it's sequels wern't on sale today on Steam, though that might be happening next week as Kins mentioned. Wolf3D is honestly kinda cumbersome to play when you've got a newer 2.5D engine that does everything better. That said, Wolf3D mods for the Doom engine always tend to be pretty cool.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Somebody should set up that multiplayer wolf3d wad for Doomseeker.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Paul Pot posted:

Doom will always be the first true FPS in my eyes and Wolf3d has aged so badly that I will not take part in any celebrations!

Go celebrate the 20th anniversary of Ultima Underworld, the game that started it all - it's aged a lot better. You're a bit late, but it's ok. I forgive you. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Someone should make a Wolf3D source port that includes a Doom-style automap.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
You guys do know that there's already a TC for GZDoom that has all six episodes fully playable, with all the ZDoom trimmings, right? With co-op support.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

They do, its called Wolf3d_TC for Zdoom

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
In fact, the TC was just updated today: http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/default.php

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

They do, its called Wolf3d_TC for Zdoom

Yeah, this one. I guess I just get confused when I see people wishing that they could play Wolf3d on a more modern engine. You already can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NecroBob posted:

You guys do know that there's already a TC for GZDoom that has all six episodes fully playable, with all the ZDoom trimmings, right? With co-op support.

It's not the same thing, and I'd really rather not have almost any zdoom trimmings. I already prefer not to play zdoom with doom levels!

And I doubt that that TC would let me use Wolf3D custom maps?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ToxicFrog posted:

Go celebrate the 20th anniversary of Ultima Underworld, the game that started it all - it's aged a lot better. You're a bit late, but it's ok. I forgive you. :colbert:

Ya, UU is enjoyable with the GOG bonus content...wouldn't call it an FPS, tho. It's to Doom what Decent is to Quake.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vkeios posted:

TDAFSHUD.wad will replace the medkit in the new HUD with the classic face. Sorry about the lack of a download link, but I don't remember where i grabbed this.

Sounds interesting, but I can't find anything on google.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Paul Pot posted:

Ya, UU is enjoyable with the GOG bonus content...wouldn't call it an FPS, tho. It's to Doom what Decent is to Quake.

:confused: Descent and Quake are both totally straightforward FPSes, though. Descent is just in zero gravity.

And yeah, UUW is more an FPRPG than an FPS, but I figure it deserves mention because Wolfenstein 3D - and, by extension, FPSes as we know them - owes its existence to UUW, and Carmack's desire to write "a faster texture mapper".

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So just finally got around to playing Reelism and holy crap it's awesome! Great job, Kins.

Getting massive random slowdown though. :smith: No idea why. I think it might be something with my laptop, but it's plenty fast running normal gzdoom, and it isn't happening just when, say, there's a lot of enemies or projectiles on screen - it just... happens.

This is a lot of fun though!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Sounds interesting, but I can't find anything on google.

Yeah, I just gave it a try, and I couldn't find it, even though I swore it was on zdoom's forum. So I uploaded it to a lovely free file sharing service. Sorry, but I couldn't think of any better idea.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lgm3lp

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Multiple Goons posted:

Wolf3d TC
Thank you for bringing this up. I never would have thought to look for a TC. I first heard about Wolfenstein in middle school, then found the shareware disc at some local office supply store. I spent many hours playing this on an old 286 with no sound card, just the pc "beep ping" speaker. There just wasn't anything like this on home consoles yet. When we finally got a Sound Blaster card, that was it. Full version ordered. Then Spear of Destiny hit. Ahh, the memories... Looks like my weekend free time is gone now.

:neckbeard: Oh my God, they even have the 2 SoD "Lost Episodes" converted!! I saw them once, couldn't get them, and never saw them again. Holy poo poo!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

:neckbeard: Oh my God, they even have the 2 SoD "Lost Episodes" converted!! I saw them once, couldn't get them, and never saw them again. Holy poo poo!

They're included with the Steam release, which must be the only way to get them now. I didn't realise they existed until I bought the id pack a few years back!

e: actually I can't get the SoD conversion to work, it keeps saying "3 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts". Also can't find the lost episodes...

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 5, 2012

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Convex posted:

They're included with the Steam release, which must be the only way to get them now. I didn't realise they existed until I bought the id pack a few years back!

e: actually I can't get the SoD conversion to work, it keeps saying "3 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts". Also can't find the lost episodes...

They're in the SVN Depository area, along with Wolf 3d files in pk7 files.
To get SoD to work, I've always used ZDL with my GZDoom, and loaded them Wolf3d first, Spear files second, like so:

The Lost Episode "Common" files go after the SoD ones, with either "Lost" or "Lost2" last, depending on which you want to play.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ToxicFrog posted:

You horribly mangled the spelling of Catacomb 3-D, but that's okay bud. :mmmsmug:

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

CyRaptor posted:

Okay, here's as far as I got with Rubicon, the megawad I had planned in my naive high school and college years. Sadly this is all I have to show for five years of work between 2002-2007. There's five finished maps (01, 04, 05, 07 & 09) with 02, 03, 08 & 31 in varying states of completion. 06 and 09 are also occupied but are basically just a single room each.

:siren:Rubicon.wad:siren:

I'm mostly just posting this for fun and so all that work doesn't go to complete waste, by having someone else be able to play them. I don't mind taking suggestions/criticism/whatever, just keep in mind that this is years old and I'd like to think my mapping has improved since.

Playing through it again, there are a lot of set pieces I'm actually really proud of (the "shoot the wall demon" secret and the hell knight arena trap in Map04, the "purify the nukage to get the door hydraulics working" bit in Map05). On the whole though I find my architecture to be really cramped and too symmetrical and orthogonal to be very fun. The monster and item placement wasn't given too much thought either, although it was even worse prior to the feedback I got when I posted it in my LP thread.

The first three maps I'm still fairly satisfied with. Map05's definitely my favorite and I'd like to remake it for goon.wad. Map04: Alpha Complex is based on M1 of Doom's Alpha 0.5 and M10 of Alpha 0.4, with several embellishments, hence the name.

Map07's just a Dead Simple style arena level that isn't much fun outside the context of a multi-level wad. It is what it is.

Map09 though I really hate. It's pretty, but I just went waaay overboard with it and the Doom purist in me finds it repulsive. It was really just the result of me going nuts with Doom Builder after several years of using a clunky program called WadAuthor. Also it's essentially a heavily filtered remake of the first two levels of Duke3D, so it doesn't even have originality going for it.

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that it also includes a new custom enemy, the Maggot from Doom 3. It replaces the Wolfenstein SS so it's got a gun fused to its arm. I dunno. I am very happy with its graphics though.

Can you do some more videos of you playing lovely maps? thanks

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

You horribly mangled the spelling of Catacomb 3-D, but that's okay bud. :mmmsmug:

Right from your link:

quote:

id Software's use of texture mapping in Catacomb 3D was influenced by Ultima Underworld (still in development at Catacomb 3D's release).

Wolfenstein 3D and its precessor both owe their existence to Carmack's experience with a tech demo of UUW, and his assertion that he could write a faster texture mapper than LGS had.

(He was right, too, although he had to sacrifice features like dynamic lighting, sloped surfaces, and 3d model support to do it.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

vkeios posted:

Yeah, I just gave it a try, and I couldn't find it, even though I swore it was on zdoom's forum. So I uploaded it to a lovely free file sharing service. Sorry, but I couldn't think of any better idea.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lgm3lp

Wow, thanks. Will try this out later.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
We're getting near the final hour of Wolfenstein 3D's 20th birthday, so I figured it might be appropriate to post the best Downfall parody, bar none:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdzexzbumc&hd=1

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alpha3KV posted:

We're getting near the final hour of Wolfenstein 3D's 20th birthday, so I figured it might be appropriate to post the best Downfall parody, bar none:

God bless you, son.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Was going to mention Wolfy turning 20 today. And yes, I do feel old. I'll never forget seeing it run on my friend's 386-SX in 5th grade.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Alpha3KV posted:

This should be in the OP, nothing better to celebrate Wolf3d's birthday :tipshat:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've updated Reelism again! There's a new-ish item in the form of the Deflector, and there's a bunch of bugfixes.

Guillermus posted:

This should be in the OP, nothing better to celebrate Wolf3d's birthday :tipshat:
Sounds like a plan.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
I feel really stupid asking this but how do I setup co-op in Reelism?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
:siren:How to Play REELISM in Multiplayer:siren:
I'm going to assume you know how to do things like port forward and get your ip, since there's plenty of places to get that info online.

the first thing you're going to want is Quickly Launchering zDoom. https://github.com/downloads/SavageMessiah/QLZ/Launcher.exe get it.

Load up QLZ, and set up the directories for your zDoom, and for your IWAD. The IWAD in this case is Doom2.wad, it'll look something like this.

Next, click the "Add File" button under that big white space. then make sure to pick "all files(*.*)" as the file type. like so.

select Reelism's pk7 file.

From here you could just hit launch and play single player. but if you wanna join a game, put the mode to "client" and get the IP of the server you want to join. and press launch.

If you're hosting. it's a little more complicated. Select "Server" from mode. and put the number of players into the players box. Don't forget to count yourself.

The next bit is the really important bit, you'll need to specify a map. E1M1 won't cut it, neither will MAP01. which is annoying. you'll have to type them in.
    DISCORD = Continuum of Discord
    GUTROT = Gutrot Island
    VR = The Internet Machine
    X2 = Municipal Transpo
    X3 = Creature of Chaos

like so

wait for the clients to join and voi la.

erm...I don't seem to actually be able to pick up weapons or die though, so I dunno if it's a bug, or me doing this wrong, though..

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

I've updated Reelism again! There's a new-ish item in the form of the Deflector, and there's a bunch of bugfixes.
Sounds like a plan.

Hey Kins, so I was bitching about my slowdown issues earlier with Reelism... and they're still happening and I have no idea why. It's not my laptop - if I open task manager while Reelism's freaking out, nothing's hitting the CPU hard at all, and everything runs fine... if I open the menu that runs smoothly... it's just every few minutes, everything drops to like a 1fps or so for a minute or two. What's really weird too is that if I go into the menu and just wait a few mins, I can go back to the game and it runs fine again. :psyduck: I'll have nothing running at all besides normal background stuff and GZDoom, and it still happens.

Do you have any possible clue what it could be? It doesn't seem tied to the number of actors/bodies, it seems like it's just a matter of time, no matter what's actually going on in the game.

Latest GZDoom, latest Reelism [happened in x1.1 too], running on a machine that runs normal GZDoom perfectly smoothly...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Say, are there any good mods for Heretic and Hexen? I would especially be interested in Hexen mods, since I love the atmosphere and gameplay (though I could use more weapons), but I hate the level design, and a mod that had a more Heretic-like level design and progression would be extremely cool.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I just tried out Zen Dynamics, and I am I the only one who thinks the level design is awful? At least in the first two levels. Everything is WAY to close quarters, it's a loving pain in the rear end to dodge any of the projectiles.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

catlord posted:

Say, are there any good mods for Heretic and Hexen? I would especially be interested in Hexen mods, since I love the atmosphere and gameplay (though I could use more weapons), but I hate the level design, and a mod that had a more Heretic-like level design and progression would be extremely cool.
Here's a Heretic Episode 3 replacement that was well received when it came out a couple of years ago: Curse of D'sparil

I haven't played it yet but I've been meaning to for too long.

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011
Reelism Co-op seems really nice but me and the boys have no guns and we can't pick up the ones on the ground. What are we doing wrong?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I knew Reelism was cool before, but I just fought a dog with bees in his mouth and when he barks he shoots bees at you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I knew Reelism was cool before, but I just fought a dog with bees in his mouth and when he barks he shoots bees at you.

He's also the Pope!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Frag Man posted:

Reelism Co-op seems really nice but me and the boys have no guns and we can't pick up the ones on the ground. What are we doing wrong?
There may or may not be a desync bug in the latest versions of ZDoom... I'll ask around.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
A friend and I were trying to play Reelism 1.2 earlier, but the latest (May 6th) SVN build wouldn't work for us at all and would immediately crash any attempts at multiplayer. We were able to play, and everything went smoothly, when we rolled back to the April 24th build though. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, it seems to be a bug in GZDoom - its not unique to Reelism. Something about the host player not being completely "alive" when spawning causing the game to desync five seconds in? Use that older GZDoom build (r1368 should work, otherwise try r1367) for multiplayer for now.