Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Herr Tog posted:

Welp shows how much I know. At least I'll get some good giggles from it.
Any recommendations for overrated players for me to draft and cackle madly by myself with?

By the way thank you everyone for your corrections.

I don't know if you actually talk to fantasy football players, but if you draft a team of overrated players they're just going to laugh at you and look forward to playing your team. The only real way to troll them is to draft an actual good team while pretending to know absolutely nothing about football at all, and justifying all your actual good picks with ridiculous excuses or stories loosely based on their last names. And they're probably going to see through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Grittybeard posted:

I just watched that Bart Scott interview again and I think my favorite thing about it is that he lands before doing the interview.

I'm sad he's getting old and won't be around for much longer :smith:

I think the only way to "troll" fantasy sports would be to assemble a terrible team and than cross your fingers for the 1% chance you luck into winning the league without putting any effort in whatsoever.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
All my preconceptions have been shattered against the wall of football knowledge. And apparently this isn't even the right thread to ask in OR the right subforum. Sorry.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Herr Tog posted:

All my preconceptions have been shattered against the wall of football knowledge. And apparently this isn't even the right thread to ask in OR the right subforum. Sorry.

You want to troll guys in your FF league? Clutter the bulletin board with statements about how clutch doesn't exist and how no one would even care about running backs if fantasy football wasn't a thing.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Maybe he joins an awesome league with cool dudes who read FO every day and don't believe in clutch either :colbert:

I think NFL players or coaches are the only people who can troll FF guys, but even that's 99.9% unintentional.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

McKracken posted:

Maybe he joins an awesome league with cool dudes who read FO every day and don't believe in clutch either :colbert:

I think NFL players or coaches are the only people who can troll FF guys, but even that's 99.9% unintentional.

Everyone knows this is what Shanahan's been doing since everyone figured out he got lucky with Elway and can't really coach worth a poo poo

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I just moved to San Francisco from Dallas, and I was wondering if I should be a Raiders of a 49ers fan. I am originally from upstate New York, so I'm sort of a Bills fan, but not really.

I sort of like the black/white color combo the raiders have, but I live in SF so maybe I should be a 49ers fan. The last time I heard anything about either team was in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Any help?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

dunkman posted:

I just moved to San Francisco from Dallas, and I was wondering if I should be a Raiders of a 49ers fan. I am originally from upstate New York, so I'm sort of a Bills fan, but not really.

I sort of like the black/white color combo the raiders have, but I live in SF so maybe I should be a 49ers fan. The last time I heard anything about either team was in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Any help?

Niners 100%

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dunkman posted:

Any help?

49ers give you an opportunity to be smug as gently caress 24/7 about rings and recently despite their QB they've gotten really really good.

The Raiders have a great color scheme but are basically crack addicts trying to clean up right now.

The Bills ARE A WHAGON WITH NO BRAKES!!!! BUFFFALLOOOOOOOOOO. Seriously though, they are bitter dissapointment that is being a weak team that has to share a division with Tom Brady and whose history is summed up with "Laces Out" Unlike the other two, you can't really be a bandwagon fan.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dunkman posted:

Any help?

That depends if you want to hang out with smug white guys or "ghetto" people of every other race. I live in the South Bay and it feels like it is pretty much split across race and or class lines down here.

All the Niners fans I know are so bombastic about their rings that it is intolerable. The Raiders fans are all just hoping to be relevant someday.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Chichevache posted:

All the Niners fans I know are so bombastic about their rings that it is intolerable. The Raiders fans are all just hoping to be relevant someday.

I don't get that. Not like the Niners have won anything recently, and the Raiders were last ones to play in a Superbowl. It's not like the Raiders don't have a championship tradition. They really walk around going '5 > 3 so lalalalla you suck'?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Raiders fans around here seem to think they're the favorites to win the division every single year.

Niners fans around here are still :smith: about Alex Smith

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm leaning more towards the Raiders. Before the 94 strike (when I was 11...), I was a huge Canseco fan and had a bunch of A's hats. Those are long gone to history, but I still feel some sort of deep immutable connection. They've never even sent me a card, but I feel as though I should pour all of my sports emotions in to those two teams.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dunkman posted:

I'm leaning more towards the Raiders. Before the 94 strike (when I was 11...), I was a huge Canseco fan and had a bunch of A's hats. Those are long gone to history, but I still feel some sort of deep immutable connection. They've never even sent me a card, but I feel as though I should pour all of my sports emotions in to those two teams.

Sleep well, and listen to your new lullaby as you fall asleep.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

davecrazy posted:

I don't get that. Not like the Niners have won anything recently, and the Raiders were last ones to play in a Superbowl. It's not like the Raiders don't have a championship tradition. They really walk around going '5 > 3 so lalalalla you suck'?

I have literally heard SF fans say exactly that. "I don't give a poo poo bout your scrub team because only the Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys have real dynasties like us. So gently caress you losers and your fag teams."

That was in reference to New England no less...

This is only anecdotal of course.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

1) There's a huge class / race spread between niners and raiders fans. I've had people say to me, "How are you a Raider fan? You're white!" At Candlestick, I've been (almost) kicked out for... cheering too loudly. The non-white raider fan I was high fiving a row below me WAS kicked out.

2) Both stadiums kind of suck. Getting to Candlestick sucks, getting to the coliseum is easier, especially on bart.

3) Niner tailgates run the gamut from brie and wine to ghetto as gently caress. Raider tailgates are more uniformly ghetto as gently caress. BUT, if you're wearing a jersey, and especially if you smoke weed, you'll be welcome at most any tailgate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Also, it's worth mentioning that the Niners' new stadium that will be opening in 2014 is well, well outside San Francisco. If location is important to you, in a few years the Raiders will be closer to SF itself than the Niners. Unless of course they move into the Santa Clara stadium too since they can't get Oakland to build them one (unlikely), or move back to Los Angeles if their proposed stadium gets off the ground (slightly more likely). Like Ron Jeremy mentioned, both current stadiums kind of suck rear end, although the Coliseum is a lot less awful for football than it is for baseball.

The Niners fanbase definitely skews whiter and more upper-class than the Raiders, although whether or not that's a value judgment depends on you I suppose. I'm just a Niners fan because my dad raised me to root for SF teams over Oakland teams, I have no beef with Raiders fans and I hope McKenzie turns that team around because they've been suffering for a while. :shobon: I've never really been a believer in the cross-bay rivalry in general, although I did get a lot of poo poo from A's fans in high school when they were great and the Giants were terrible.

As for the whole 'storied franchise' aspect, two of the Super Bowls came before I was even alive and the most recent one was when I was 6, so I don't really feel compelled to get smug about rings as a fan. I'll gladly talk about how much Montana owned anytime, and Jerry Rice is my favorite football player of all time and probably always will be (although it helps that he stayed with the Niners long after the dynasty was over), but I really don't feel much connection with the dynasty as a fan. I'm just glad they finally got their front office and coaching staff in order and are hopefully in position to be a respectable franchise again. That championship game is still going to hurt for a while though, especially because I'm convinced our defense would have clowned on the Gronk-less Patriots.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
A little late, but the best and only way to troll in fantasy is to assemble a team that is so good that it will still beat people even if you leave in players who are on bye.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dirt Worshipper posted:

A little late, but the best and only way to troll in fantasy is to assemble a team that is so good that it will still beat people even if you leave in players who are on bye.

On Bye?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

On Bye?

Every team has a scheduled week they don't play, and during that time, fantasy players are incapable of putting up stats (obviously). The implication here is that your team is so good that they beat the other team shorthanded, which is the ultimate insult or a sign that you started Ben Tate for some reason

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
If you wanna get on the ground floor of the new Raiders administration, nows the time to do it

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Alright, so people on TFF seem to have a really good grasp of almost everything involved in the sport. Where does this information come from? Do people have sites that they read that have a lot of good information or does it just come from watching football for a long time?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Fiction posted:

Alright, so people on TFF seem to have a really good grasp of almost everything involved in the sport. Where does this information come from? Do people have sites that they read that have a lot of good information or does it just come from watching football for a long time?

Little bit of both, and we have more than a couple people around who played or coached or both for awhile too which always helps. I have a list of educational sites at home, but by far the best one is Smart Football, which has great breakdowns and video instructional stuff with an archive going back for years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It's also partially a matter of knowing which sources are poo poo and which ones aren't. You typically shouldn't believe something until it's been confirmed by two independent sources or one Adam Schefter.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I am actually Walter Camp

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I need a reasonable digestible guide of the major defensive and offensive formations and plays used in the NFL. Ideas? I'm also looking for a walk through of the major archetype and good examples for the various styles of each position. For example in receivers you have wideouts, slots guys, YAC guys. Running back you have scat-backs, short yardage guys, one cut guys. Quarterback you have traditional pocket guys, scramblers, and dual-threat. The kinda stuff people think about when they say player X is nothing like player Y for the same position.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 5, 2012

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Its Miller Time posted:

I need a reasonable digestible guide of the major defensive and offensive formations and plays used in the NFL. Ideas? I'm also looking for a walk through of the major archetype and good examples for the various styles of each position. For example in receivers you have wideouts, slots guys, YAC guys. Running back you have scat-backs, short yardage guys, one cut guys. Quarterback you have traditional pocket guys, scramblers, and dual-threat. The kinda stuff people think about when they say player X is nothing like player Y for the same position.

Sure here's part two for you:

White guys
Small black guys
Big black guys
Other (??? none of these has emerged since Jim Thorpe)

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

Rap posted:

Sure here's part two for you:

White guys
Small black guys
Big black guys
Other (??? none of these has emerged since Jim Thorpe)

man this totally neglects ethnic qbs

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

I am actually Walter Camp

And I'm John Madden and welcome to another great game of Football.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I am Tony Siragusa, and I am angry. Angry about honey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAdaD8RaC-4

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
That is the best player endorsement I have ever seen, thank you for posting.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I swear that when that commercial first came out, someone on the SA forums had a brother that was a bigwig at the Honey Council and that the honey/syrup thing was No Joke™.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pure insect vomit, and not tree sap byproduct is what has fueled generations of players.
Don't be fooled by imitation insect regurgitation.

Don't be one of those laughable, dejected fans of football who has ignorantly supported teams and players fed on tree sap.

Demand that your team, and your favorite player ingest regurgitated insect vomit.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

I see that there. posted:

Pure insect vomit, and not tree sap byproduct is what has fueled generations of players.
Don't be fooled by imitation insect regurgitation.

Don't be one of those laughable, dejected fans of football who has ignorantly supported teams and players fed on tree sap.

Demand that your team, and your favorite player ingest regurgitated insect vomit.

I think he was alleging the substitution of corn, not maple, syrup. Maple syrup is actually another thing widely replaced dishonestly with corn syrup. If anything maple syrup is more expensive than honey, so there are no companies out there sneaking maple syrup into honey. Corn syrup on the other hand, is cheap as loving dirt, so it's in everything.

Mediochre
Jul 3, 2002
I wonder how many takes they filmed. I also wonder whether there was some stagehand picking up the syrup every time or if he made a whole pile of them back there.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Grittybeard posted:

The unfortunate part of this for Tebow is he is a very flawed passer. It was pretty easy to hide this for several reasons in college but in the NFL it's been exposed badly. His throwing motion is horrible, his accuracy is comically bad at times. He played a couple of games last season and wasn't really all that terrible but wasn't particularly amazing either.

This is from a while back, and I'm sure everyone's sick of Tebowchat, but what exactly are these reasons? What about college football is so different that an amazing player can go to the NFL and be total garbage?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

F201 posted:

This is from a while back, and I'm sure everyone's sick of Tebowchat, but what exactly are these reasons? What about college football is so different that an amazing player can go to the NFL and be total garbage?

Quality of the players. In college you have 18-21 year old guys who are also going to school(ok only kind of). Also the talent is dispersed. Yeah you get teams like Bama or Miami back in the '80's that stockpiles NFL talent, but by and large that talent is really spread out over 120 D1-A teams. When they get to the NFL every MLB was a stud in college. The talent is concentrated and these guys play football full time. That is all they do is work at getting better at the game. They are all also physically mature at that point.

I prefer the college game, but in terms of the quality of play it isn't even close. The NFL wins hands down and that is why college studs can be NFL duds. That and poo poo just happens(lol Ryan Leaf).

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

NFL coverage is so much tighter than college that you can't get away with inaccurate passing or a slow wind-up that telegraphs what you're doing. And the league is so skewed in favour of passing that a running quarterback isn't going to help you much, especially given the defenses are faster and qbs are so expensive you don't really want them getting hit on a regular basis.

For similar reasons, Denard Robinson will never be an nfl quarterback, awesome as he is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

NFL coverage is so much tighter than college that you can't get away with inaccurate passing or a slow wind-up that telegraphs what you're doing. And the league is so skewed in favour of passing that a running quarterback isn't going to help you much, especially given the defenses are faster and qbs are so expensive you don't really want them getting hit on a regular basis.

For similar reasons, Denard Robinson will never be an nfl quarterback, awesome as he is.

Yeah, to me this is the biggest difference. College offenses are highly varied, and flexible enough that they can accommodate idiosyncratic skill sets. Tebow was an exceptional athlete who needed to be on the field every snap. Building an offense around his abilities was feasible.

At the pro level, Tebow is merely above average in athleticism, and doesn't have the pull to get a team to rebuild itself around his abilities (since using his abilities will likely result in a short pro career). So he has to be fitted into the mold of a generic pro quarterback, and he doesn't fit very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Deteriorata posted:

At the pro level, Tebow is merely above average in athleticism, and doesn't have the pull to get a team to rebuild itself around his abilities (since using his abilities will likely result in a short pro career). So he has to be fitted into the mold of a generic pro quarterback, and he doesn't fit very well.

Don't think this part is entirely true. It's not difficult at all for a team using a zone running attack to convert to a zone read based spread option (or from a spread option back to a conventional offense with a zone run game), and the personnel isn't very different. Hell, I think the Broncos pulled it off in two weeks.

• Locked thread