Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ahahahaha, this match in the trials is having multiple protests and reviews from the coaches, so to kill time in the arena they started playing Lunatic Fringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Women who wrestle at 72kg scare me. That is all

E: awesome uchi mata by lee

E2: Henry Cejudo lost the finals and left his shoes on the mat announcing his retirement from wrestling

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Dumb guillotine question time.

With an arm-in guillotine, if I understand correctly, you're closing off one carotid artery with their own shoulder and the other with your wrist. In a normal guillotine of course you don't have his shoulder; what replaces it? It doesn't seem like you can use your other wrist for this. Are you using downward pressure from your own shoulder, or something else? Or is it just more of an air choke (and neck crank) and hence doesn't require pressure on both sides of the neck?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I think your bicep?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I think it's supposed to be more of a crushing choke. You can make it a choke that affects the carotid but it's not the only way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

McNerd posted:

With an arm-in guillotine, if I understand correctly, you're closing off one carotid artery with their own shoulder and the other with your wrist.

No, you're closing off one carotid artery with their own shoulder and the other with your bicep.

quote:

In a normal guillotine of course you don't have his shoulder; what replaces it? It doesn't seem like you can use your other wrist for this.

You're using your wrist. Ideally your arm should be forming a V, with the elbow below his chin, your bicep cutting off one side and your forearm the other. This is why you should be crunching your torso sideways (which is even more important with the arm in guillotine, but is important in the arm-out as well).

You will see a lot of forearm-flat-across-the-neck guillotines, and they work, but they're less efficient (because they're cutting off the air rather than the blood and thus take longer) and much harder on your training partners (because they're crushing their tracheas).

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Very cool, thanks!

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
For side guillotines remember that you're trying to do a sideways crunch to close the gap under your armpit, not a backward arch to pull their head away from their body. Also, swim under the far arm to take back if you need an out.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

For side guillotines remember that you're trying to do a sideways crunch to close the gap under your armpit, not a backward arch to pull their head away from their body. Also, swim under the far arm to take back if you need an out.

The far arm being the one on your non-choking side? What stops him from just clamping down the overhook to block you? (Probably a dumb question if I actually tried it, but I'm out sick for the foreseeable future.)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Has anyone trained with, or know much about how Pedro Sauer's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Sauer teachings differ from others. Someone said to me he had a more "practical" and "self defense" based teaching or syllabus so to speak than most sporterised Jits schools.

Anyone want to weigh in on that?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

McNerd posted:

The far arm being the one on your non-choking side? What stops him from just clamping down the overhook to block you? (Probably a dumb question if I actually tried it, but I'm out sick for the foreseeable future.)

drat I wish I could find a video.

When you have the side guillotine you usually finish by putting your shin across the guy's belly and your heel over his back, helping you pull the side crunch in tight.

But sometimes opponents will just focus on keeping the space between their neck and shoulder open, and then wait for your arms to fatigue and loosen so they can burst out. When you feel like that's about to happen, don't just loosen your grip and try to quickly shift and resecure it before they can react, just release it and swim your choking arm under their far (non-trapped) armpit instead, to take a very shallow underhook. With the same motion you then use the back of your hand to spin them to face away from you, then just get your hooks in and you've got back control.

I started out using this move as a back take, but exactly as you said people tended to clamp down on my wrist with their armpit, making it hard for me to RNC. Then, for a while it was my primary method of entering the crucifix, but I felt like my chokes were out of position from there and I'd just end up going to standard back control again to make them work. Now, I think the most reliable plan is to just dive right into an arm bar roll as soon as your first hook sinks in, because that lets you use your whole body to pry their armpit open if necessary (don't forget to hold onto their leg to maintain your position).

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 24, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

CivilDisobedience posted:

drat I wish I could find a video.

When you have the side guillotine you usually finish by putting your shin across the guy's belly and your heel over his back, helping you pull the side crunch in tight.

But sometimes opponents will just focus on keeping the space between their neck and shoulder open, and then wait for your arms to fatigue and loosen so they can burst out. When you feel like that's about to happen, don't just loosen your grip and try to quickly shift and resecure it before they can react, just release it and swim your choking arm under their far (non-trapped) armpit instead, to take a very shallow underhook. With the same motion you then use the back of your hand to spin them to face away from you, then just get your hooks in and you've got back control.

I started out using this move as a back take, but exactly as you said people tended to clamp down on my wrist with their armpit, making it hard for me to RNC. Then, for a while it was my primary method of entering the crucifix, but I felt like my chokes were out of position from there and I'd just end up going to standard back control again to make them work. Now, I think the most reliable plan is to just dive right into an arm bar roll as soon as your first hook sinks in, because that lets you use your whole body to pry their armpit open if necessary (don't forget to hold onto their leg to maintain your position).

Wait, what guillotine are we talking about? Just an arm-in guillotine in an open guard or half guard situation or something, or something else? I just took "side guillotine" to mean "a guillotine where their head is to the side of your body under your armpit" (as opposed to at least one guillotine-like choke I've seen where it's actually centered on your chest).

Thanks for all the advice of course!

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BlindSite posted:

Has anyone trained with, or know much about how Pedro Sauer's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Sauer teachings differ from others. Someone said to me he had a more "practical" and "self defense" based teaching or syllabus so to speak than most sporterised Jits schools.

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
Pedro Sauer is one of those guys that's really cool about having his students learn from whoever has something to teach rather than staying in the boundaries of affiliation. I've been to a handful of affiliate schools and they're all over the place as far as their approach to the game. All of them did seem to have fairly difficult promotion requirements (at the gym I attend and one of the other Pedro affiliates in the area, 3 years to blue isn't uncommon at all, though most of the guys start competing at blue against other schools way earlier than that). I never saw any 'self-defense' type stuff beyond a lot of emphasis on top control, though that might be mostly at his own academy rather than his affiliates.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

McNerd posted:

Wait, what guillotine are we talking about? Just an arm-in guillotine in an open guard or half guard situation or something, or something else? I just took "side guillotine" to mean "a guillotine where their head is to the side of your body under your armpit" (as opposed to at least one guillotine-like choke I've seen where it's actually centered on your chest).

Thanks for all the advice of course!

Ahh, I found the vid I was looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahwpb2_lWfg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxxe-rluey8&feature=relmfu (The position at ~1:38 is what I know as the side guillotine)

Related-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjcmDvO87PI

Hey also I'm curious if anyone else uses this, it's been working well for me lately
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6wIX7HA5Q

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

McNerd posted:

With an arm-in guillotine, if I understand correctly, you're closing off one carotid artery with their own shoulder and the other with your wrist. In a normal guillotine of course you don't have his shoulder; what replaces it? It doesn't seem like you can use your other wrist for this. Are you using downward pressure from your own shoulder, or something else? Or is it just more of an air choke (and neck crank) and hence doesn't require pressure on both sides of the neck?
If it would be helpful to you or anyone else, I can do a full write up on the guillotine and its variants. It'll take me a bit of time for the full write up.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Yuns posted:

If it would be helpful to you or anyone else, I can do a full write up on the guillotine and its variants. It'll take me a bit of time for the full write up.

I would appreciate it very much. I liked the posts talking about it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Even though guillotines are not considered an advanced move, I find that many people have trouble finishing them and many of those people only have a cursory understanding of the guillotine and its mechanics.

The guillotine can take many forms but here I'll touch on a few:

The guillotine (no arm in) - This strangle uses your forearm and bicep to compress the major carotid arteries on both sides of your partner's neck. The back of his neck will rest under your armpit and the front of your opponents trachea with be in the crook of your elbow. For a superior high elbow variant of this strangle, once you've locked on the position take your pulling arm and the elbow up high and point it straight over your partner's back. This makes it harder to defend.

The power guillotine - power guillotines are generally those guillotines that do not have an arm in but instead of the traditional pulling up motion with the support arm you use a pushing in motion to compress. The most famous example of this is the McKenzietine used by MMA fighter, Cody McKenzie. He made a fist with his choking arm hand and used his second hand to push the fist inward. These power guillotines have the advantage that pressure can be maintained in mechanically disadvantageous body positions like a passed guard but the amount of pressure is less overall and, if body positional control is not maintained alternative counters can be used.

The arm in guillotine - This is probably the most common form of guillotine. Ideally you do not want your opponent to have his arm inside your choke. It is tougher to strangle a neck and arm instead of just a neck. However, in live rolling you will usually be able to get an arm inside guillotine much more frequently than an arm free guillotine. Additionally once you get that guillotine grip many people will reach over your nonchoking shoulder to relieve the pressure and your support hand will have to come under that defending arm and thus the arm will end in inside. Despite the greater difficulty, it is still quite possible to finish an arm in guillotine. I will discuss this guillotine in greater detail later.

The shallow guillotine - This is not the proper term for this types of choke but it is how I distinguish this choke from other types of guillotines that may look nominally like normal guillotine. This guillotine does not rely on a blood strangle of the carotids but rather relies on the blades of the wrist compressing the trachea. Frequently people will use it off a failed normal guillotine. Perhaps they got a guillotine on you but it is too shallow and the forearm is over your throat. By switching directions and instead of pull up the choking arm pulling the choking arm elbow up and back, you can sharply compress the trachea and produce severe pain and an extremely fast tap. Marcelo Garcia uses a shallow guillotine grip in combination with the high elbow guillotine as his marcelotine. Notice how shallow his grip is in this video http://randomgrappler.blogspot.com/2011/01/blog-post.html

The one armed guillotine - I thought I'd briefly mention this submission. It is a submission from on top of side control where instead of the normal cross face arm position you reach around the head with one arm like a guillotine but use the second arm to underhook your partner's far arm. How turn to face opponent's head and bring his head off the mat. This is a combination neck crank and choke. Most people use it as a simple neck crank but it is also a choke. You can dial in the amount of cranking by how far your lift the head off the mat. You can dial in the amount of choking but how far apart your pull your elbows (pull you choking elbow back like you are using your forearm to cut your partner's throat).

I could give detailed instructions on all these guillotines and many many variant but let's focus on at least being able to execute an arm in guillotine properly.

First, the key to the arm in guillotine is your initial arm position. I usually know as soon as I get a good guillotine grip on the head whether I'm going to be able to finish the strangle or not. For a traditional strangle your grip must be DEEP. If you can see your elbow easily, then your grip is too shallow. Your head grip must be deep enough that your elbow is hidden.

Let's imagine a scenario.

Your partner is turtled in front of you after a takedown and you are in front with a quasi front headlock position. One arm is around his head gripping his chin and the other arm is gripping the back of his same side tricep.

* First make sure that controlled arm is cleared by pulling it toward you so that he can't defend by pulling back his elbow. You can also lock your hands palm to palm and use this gable grip to pull his trapped arm in toward you to clear it away from his body.

* Move your head close to and over the back of his head. By bringing your head over his, this allows you to get a deeper choking grip.

* Slide in your head grip arm in deeper so that your elbow is not visible and the back of his head is under your armpit. Ideally your elbow should be about at the midpoint of the front of his trachea.

* At this point, your partner may be trying to dig his choking side hand inside your neck grip and may wrap his nonchoking side arm around your body and place his shoulder against your chest to defend the guillotine. If he does not, you can get the guillotine with no arm inside for the easier finish.

* Bring your choking arm hand up around his opposite armpit while flexing your bicep so you are creating pressure already on both side of his neck.

* Now reach over his defending arm that is wrapped around your body and grab your choking arm hand or wrist. Traditionally, you use a finger finger or monkey grip (all fingers together with the thumb on the same side as the fingers) on the wrist and heel of the hand BUT the grip is not critical at all to this choke so feel free to use an alternative grip if you prefer.

* Now pull up your choking arm wrist as high as you can by lifting up your pulling arm elbow as high as you can. Your partners head should be as high as possible under your armpit

* You absolutely do not want to let your opponent get his body across yours (if he get cross body you won't be able to finish and he can shoulder/von flue choke you). You also do not want to be square on to/in line with your opponent as it's not the ideal position to finish from. To produce the strongest choking pressure you should be out of alignment with your opponent with your body to his trapped arm side. This alignment theory also works from mounted guillotines and instead of a pure square on mount it is better to finish a mounted guillotine from knee on belly off to the trapped arm side.

* So step your legs out to the trapped arm side then sit under your partner on your choking arm side hip by bringing your choking arm side leg knee first under your partner from the trapped arm side so that the foot is hooked onto the trapped arm side hip and the shin is across the stomach with the knee by the choke side hip.

* You should be on your choking arm side hip.

* Now throw your other leg over partner's back from the trapped arm side to keep him from passing to a cross body position and to keep him from rolling. You could also use closed guard but stay off to the side on your choking arm hip.

* ideally to finish you want to compress his carotids. Imagine your forearm and bicep are two arms of a pair of scissors with the hinge of the scissors being your elbow. Pull up hard on the choking arm wrist and flex the bicep to close the scissors as if they are going to chop off the head and bring your hinge/elbow tight toward your side/hip.

* The following are indicative of having the proper position. His back should be arched and he should be curled forward not stretched out straight. If his body is straight it is easier for him to pull his head out. Have him curled up. I prefer to have the crown of his head on the mat not the forehead. If his forehead is on the mat I feel he can pull his head out easier and there is less pressure. He should his chin forced down into his chest and turned toward your torso.

* You should be able to finish an arm in guillotine like this.

So that's a very quick summary of the guillotine.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Yuns posted:

This would definitely be great, thanks!

Edit: Beaten but I sure wasn't wrong!

McNerd fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 25, 2012

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks yuns, I learned something.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Someone please buy this for nogi

http://muscleskinsuit.com/

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
What kind of wipes/stuff do people use for post-grappling protection/disease defense? I've moved a bunch of my training to a place that makes it harder to get home right away for a shower so I'm thinking I should start using something like that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A lot of people use KS Skin Cream for pretraining protection.

http://www.morleyathletic.com/sports/wrestling/supplies/kennedy-industries-products/m12505-kennedy-industries-ks-skin-creme.htm

I don't know anyone who uses the following but you could try them for post training.

Matguard wipes
http://www.suplay.com/Item-Wrestling-9HGP

Hibistat wipes
http://www.suplay.com/Item-Wrestling-9HTP

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

What kind of wipes/stuff do people use for post-grappling protection/disease defense? I've moved a bunch of my training to a place that makes it harder to get home right away for a shower so I'm thinking I should start using something like that.

How long of a time period are you talking about?

I don't use post grapple wipes. Usually I'll get home within 30 minutes to an hour and get a shower.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 6, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
You might want to read this (anyone who grapples should, really)

A microbiologist's take on BJJ:
http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

Looks like a lot of bacteria starts multiplying real quick after exposure, and the longer you wait, the more bacteria you're carrying around.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I don't think "shower immediately after practice" is new to anybody

e: Do your gyms not have showers for some inexplicable reason?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the least weasel posted:

I don't think "shower immediately after practice" is new to anybody

e: Do your gyms not have showers for some inexplicable reason?

Mine never did. We were in a storefront and then an old mechanic's shop that our coach converted, and it was too expensive to redo plumbing to add showers.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Bohemian Nights posted:

You might want to read this (anyone who grapples should, really)

A microbiologist's take on BJJ:
http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/2011/09/microbiologists-take-on-bjj.html

Looks like a lot of bacteria starts multiplying real quick after exposure, and the longer you wait, the more bacteria you're carrying around.
Yeah I've read that, which is why I wanted to try some wipes. This new location doesn't have showers right now, and it takes me roughly an hour to get home.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The primary component to not getting sick is your gym's cleanliness. You can be King OCD with yourself and your stuff but if they aren't doing a good job keeping things clean and kicking out anyone with anything contagious, you're going to catch something.

If you really want to do something, volunteer to help mop the mat.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
In case you haven't heard there's some sort of Jiu Jitsu convention in Long Beach this weekend. If you're within driving distance you should probably go since Roger, Braulio and I think a couple other guys are giving free seminars.

There are also going to be a bunch of superfights streamed live.

Nick Diaz vs Braulio Estima(no-gi)
Kayron Gracie vs Rafael Lovato Jr(gi)
Victor Estima vs Kron Gracie(gi)
Nino Schembri vs Bill Cooper(gi)
Kyra Gracie vs Alexis Davis(does anyone know who she is?) (no-gi)
Caio Terra vs Jeff Glover(no-gi)

Brualio and Kyra are probably going to dominate their opponents, but the rest of the matches have the potential to be really good/close.

Also, the deadline for the IBJJF Long Beach open which is being held in conjunction with this had the registration deadline extended until midnight(pst) tonight.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dokomoy posted:

In case you haven't heard there's some sort of Jiu Jitsu convention in Long Beach this weekend. If you're within driving distance you should probably go since Roger, Braulio and I think a couple other guys are giving free seminars.

There are also going to be a bunch of superfights streamed live.

Nick Diaz vs Braulio Estima(no-gi)
Kayron Gracie vs Rafael Lovato Jr(gi)
Victor Estima vs Kron Gracie(gi)
Nino Schembri vs Bill Cooper(gi)
Kyra Gracie vs Alexis Davis(does anyone know who she is?) (no-gi)
Caio Terra vs Jeff Glover(no-gi)

Brualio and Kyra are probably going to dominate their opponents, but the rest of the matches have the potential to be really good/close.

Also, the deadline for the IBJJF Long Beach open which is being held in conjunction with this had the registration deadline extended until midnight(pst) tonight.

Alexis Davis is a canuck that recently lost to another Canuck, Sarah Kaufman in a brawl on the Tate vs. Rousey strikeforce card.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 7, 2012

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
somebody tell me about victor vs kron. i remember kron was really good at brown when he was like 18 or whatever, but had some trouble when he went to black belt. that was a few years ago and i remember nothing in the interim

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

somebody tell me about victor vs kron. i remember kron was really good at brown when he was like 18 or whatever, but had some trouble when he went to black belt. that was a few years ago and i remember nothing in the interim

He's done pretty well but he keeps not winning divisions because in gi he gets derailed by Leite and in no-gi he's in Marcelo's weight class.

I mean it's more complicated than that obviously but that's the gist.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Kron moved down to lightweight for the Worlds last year and took second(if you haven't seen his match vs Leandro Lo from that event you should watch it now).

Kron and Victor had two matches at the Pan Ams back in March. In there first match(absolute division) Victor was dq'd early in the match for reaping the knee. The next day they met in the semi finals and Victor won I believe 6-2(if I remember correctly Kron swept Victor then Victor swept Kron to mount). Kron ended up taking Bronze in both the middleweight and absolute divisions, while Victor took silver at middleweight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
He also nearly choked Marcelo unconscious at adcc. He still lost, but Garcia walked through almost everyone else, so it was a decent showing.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

My day job is in biological safety at a university and we usually recommend to the research labs that they use 10% bleach for decontamination and 70% alcohol for surface disinfection.

Nothing is better than a shower, but I began using generic baby wipes as an added precaution after I got athlete's foot at my current dojo (I'm susceptible to it). It takes me about 30 mins to an hour to get home and into my shower, and a lot of bugs can double in that time frame.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Dont forget, the Diaz/Braulio superfight is tonight, and it's only :10bux:. I hope Diaz brings along the entire Cesar Gracie crew.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 13, 2012

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

is nick diaz gonna get clowned on?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Don't know but Braulio didn't make weight for their match. Right now its Kyra Gracie vs Alexis Davis.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I think it's weird that they call BJJ matches fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010

Dirp posted:

I think it's weird that they call BJJ matches fights.

Its weird. BJJ guys do it all the time though. Its get pretty bad; have you seen the eddie bravo rap? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y_m0wZxsw)