Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dismount
Jul 25, 2011
Today was a fun day with the Jeep. Cut the front two doors off. Pressurized the Cooling system. Put 2 new tires on it. Now it's time for a new Radiator and Harmonic Balancer. Will post pictures when I get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

I drove to St. Louis after my first job ended to pick up some alloy wheels and a spare set of tires.

I managed to make it home in time to start my second job. ~250 mile round trip. I didn't drive slowly.

The tires on 'em are too small. I need a bigger sidewall. Also, having never owned run-flats before, I had no idea how loud those things are. They make about as much racket as a howling wheel bearing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tremek posted:

As it depreciated $80,000 in 6 years, I would say that no, they haven't held their value. With that said the earlier years are not going to depreciate at such a steep rate from this point forward, but all of the first gen and first-gen refresh are going to be coming quite cheaply once any significant number of the '11+ models hit the used market. An '09 Turbo S is still $85k.

Holy geez, that's some depreciation right there. Sucks for whoever bought them new, but good news if you're looking for a ridiculously fast used SUV for some reason.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cleaned out my '92 GMC Jimmy and bought a 5L jug of Mobil One, gonna drive it down to my mechanic to get it inspected and let him change the oil while he's at it because I'm a lazy bastard.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

As it depreciated $80,000 in 6 years, I would say that no, they haven't held their value. With that said the earlier years are not going to depreciate at such a steep rate from this point forward, but all of the first gen and first-gen refresh are going to be coming quite cheaply once any significant number of the '11+ models hit the used market. An '09 Turbo S is still $85k.

I suppressed some snarky response to your first picture, but knowing that it's 6 years old and bought for used Volvo XC90 money? That's interesting. How many miles?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I suppressed some snarky response to your first picture, but knowing that it's 6 years old and bought for used Volvo XC90 money? That's interesting. How many miles?

Bought it with 57k miles and it's in great shape. Also came with extras - stereo upgrades with a hidden sub behind a cargo area side panel and amp below, Passport 9500ci (with laser jamming) integrated into the dash, an FVD ecu flash, secondary cat bypasses, and a full exhaust.

Wife's best time at the drag strip so far is 14.58 @ 98mph at Bandimere - 5800 ft altitude and 7800 ft DA that day. It's quick, loud, and awesome due to the former two traits, and it was far less expensive than many significantly beige-er cars. Surprisingly it also turns like something that weighs 3 tons shouldn't.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

My tires came in yesterday, so I finally went and got my Bullitt wheels mounted!

Thennn I noticed the fronts were grinding and gouging against the balljoints and had to put the stock steelies back on :sigh:

So now I'm researching how safe it'd be to buy a full set of the thick spacers with lug studs mounted on them so I can use these drat things.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How much wider are they versus stock?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

T1g4h posted:

My tires came in yesterday, so I finally went and got my Bullitt wheels mounted!

Thennn I noticed the fronts were grinding and gouging against the balljoints and had to put the stock steelies back on :sigh:

So now I'm researching how safe it'd be to buy a full set of the thick spacers with lug studs mounted on them so I can use these drat things.

what offset did you get?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

M4rg4r1ne posted:

How much wider are they versus stock?

Not quite sure. Stock wheels are 16" steelies and running 225/65/R16 tires. These are 17x8 and running 245/45/R17.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what offset did you get?

+30 :sigh:

They were $200 at a pawn shop and I didn't feel like spending a fuckload of money on eBay trying to find a +0 offset in the same size. It was a case of "Really, really good deal at the time so I snapped it up"

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Just from the photos it looks like the offset is way off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just met with the claims adjuster.

Amazing how fast that damage added up, he put it at about $2000. Book value is about 2500-3500 depending on condition, but he's advising against a total loss due to the car being in what he called "really good shape for its age and mileage" (don't tell him about the transmission :ssh: )

New door skin, possibly new door handle, new door trim, possibly a new latch. He thinks the door itself is salvageable. Also pulling dents on the rear 1/4 panel and replacing some trim around the back window that he expects will break when it's removed (trim is already cracked), and of course, paint.

At least my deductible is only $250. :sigh: And I've already paid for the transmission, so may as well fix it. I figured I was looking at about $500 in damage.

edit: pics at http://imgur.com/a/tUOnb

edit2: official estimate is $1695.41.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 4, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Got sideswiped on the highway by some rear end in a top hat doing 90 in a box truck. Luckily, all that happened was a bunch of scratched paint on the doors and a broken drivers side mirror. Six inches over and I'd have been boned hard.

Of course, he didn't stop, even after I tried to follow him, and I couldn't get close enough to get a plate number. Jackass. Your rented truck is not the same width as your civic. I hope they rape you on the damage you did to the truck.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thelightguy posted:

Got sideswiped on the highway by some rear end in a top hat doing 90 in a box truck. Luckily, all that happened was a bunch of scratched paint on the doors and a broken drivers side mirror. Six inches over and I'd have been boned hard.

Of course, he didn't stop, even after I tried to follow him, and I couldn't get close enough to get a plate number. Jackass. Your rented truck is not the same width as your civic. I hope they rape you on the damage you did to the truck.

Like a U-Haul? I'd be calling every rental place in your area asking if they had any trucks come in with damage recently. You know they'll have his information.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kylej posted:

Like a U-Haul? I'd be calling every rental place in your area asking if they had any trucks come in with damage recently. You know they'll have his information.

Do this. They'll be eager to help as it puts all the financial damages on the renter.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
New RPM lvl 4 transmission is in. Cam, valve springs, pushrods, Melling oil pump, timing chain and tune resulted in 425 rear wheel hp, and 380 ft lbs of torque.

I'm in love with this stupid car all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kaNqG2sfIY

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
^^^ That sounds good..

Changed plugs - it feels like it made a difference. Maybe.

Also found oil in the plug holes, so it looks like a valve cover gasket job is in my future.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Finished prepping the other bit of "rustic" wood for the camper interior in my VW. Still haven't a really strong idea of how I'll hold it in place.

It feels really odd filling these gaps which would normally have a structural member in it for other variants with wood. Damnit I wish I had a metal brake. And metal. And a reference for measurements.

Metal brake I can take care of. there are portable ones on eBay, but I do also have some plans for one in an old U.S. origin DIY handyman book from the '30s (mine is the '40s reprint).

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
My Prelude sprung a coolant leak a couple weeks back, so I parked it and ordered all of the related little molded hoses, a new OEM thermostat, and a new thermostat gasket. Figured I might as well do all of them (well, as many as I could reach without disassembling the whole car anyway) along with the 'stat while it was all apart. I need to have this car fully operational before I tear into the bad lifter on the BMW in case something gets hosed up during that job.

The parts came in last week, so I've been busy after work the last few days working on it. I only get about 1.5 hours of daylight after I get home, so I've been working in spurts and dragging out the work light as necessary.

It seems all of my loving around in the engine bay tweaked a tired PS hose, because when I started it back up and ran it for a bit after I was done, I had a new leak. :sigh: Long story short, replacing a single popped heater hose snowballed into a full cooling system flush, tracking down + fixing a new power steering line leak along with a full flush of the power steering system, topping up the brake fluid, tightening up all of the oil pan bolts (most were finger tight, one was ready to fall out, and one was missing), draining and refilling the transmission, and cleaning 1/4" of caked on sludge off of everything I encountered in the process. Everything is done except the transmission bit and reinstallation of air ducting and airbox, which will hopefully happen tomorrow. There's still a little oil leak coming from somewhere I can't see, but at least it's not dumping it everywhere like it was. I may try to put the borescope up there tomorrow and see if I can locate it (and maybe even fix it) before I slap it all back together.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Coming in hard and fast here. Looted the Magna some more and got a couple more bits and pieces. It looks like the carpet in the boot (trunk) is still in great condition in spite of a leak and will be just wide enough to cover the ply front of the rock'n'roll bed. I also took the steering wheel cover and put it on the Fairlane.

I really have to find some kind of flooring to use as a camper floor for the VW, cheaply that is. It's so close to being ready it's pissing me off. One of the biggest sticking points I have is the camper floor. Part of me would like to make it for the visible area only and make it removable, but classically they are put in first and then the cabinets on top, bolted to it to hold it in. I'm not sure I like that idea. I want to be able to remove it easily and mop up any spills etc.

edit: Photo added. Click for big I think?
The front bit of wood is sitting a bit crooked because it's only propped up right now. The other one is just sitting happily.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 4, 2012

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Timmy Cruise posted:

^^^ That sounds good..

Changed plugs - it feels like it made a difference. Maybe.

Also found oil in the plug holes, so it looks like a valve cover gasket job is in my future.

Thanks! With crappy tires on there she likes to get rowdy real quick.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Started up the Jeep and had the check engine light come on. So I stared at it menacingly; it didn't work. That was what I did to my ride today. :manning:

To be fair, the engine sounds like it's eating rocks and has sounded like that for over a year now. It's so loud that people on the street turn and stare as I go by. Between that and the rear end in a top hat who trashed the top and the dash stealing the stock radio a couple years ago, I'm so unenthused about working on it that I frankly just want to see how far I can push it with absolutely no maintenance before something gives.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Put on some stickers for +5HP and 10% more :italy:

(also washed+waxed the area since I'd prepped it with rubbing alcohol. God, the rest of the cars needs a wash right now)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I took photos for that seat belt thread and am watching some eBay auctions for things like one tonner mirrors and seatbelts.

If I remember later on today I'm going to get some of that lovely cheap supermarket two part epoxy because yesterday I learned that if I look above the vinyl on the fiberglass roof on the VW I can see where it is leaking from the points of bright sun. I've seen people usually use body filler and such when they are restoring a pop top but I just use epoxy and a bit of epoxy enamel over it for protection to fill wear, cracks etc. it bonds well and is a little flexible so it doesn't crack during use.

pushing to take it for a blue slip in the next couple of weeks. The camper floor is a big, big issue though. I don't have one and any kind of board is stupidly expensive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

See if you can spot the change!

Soon....

Just have to paint the accents

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

My new-to-me wheels arrived today, and since my car was already going in for a new timing belt, I had them mounted up. Since everyone and their brother is running BLQs now, I decided to go back to a more traditional look and have always loved these wheels. Only one pic so far after I finished putting new spacers on:

I still have the BLQs and will decide soon if I want to hang onto them or sell them to someone on Audizine with their parents' money to spend.

And yes, I'm missing a centercap, I'll take care of that tomorrow.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

See if you can spot the change!

Soon....

Just have to paint the accents

You got another one! What specs and which clacking noises do you still need to fix?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

or sell them to someone on Audizine with their parents' money to spend.

I thought this part was pretty funny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I chucked some new wheels and summer tires on the SE-R, just in time for a surprise blizzard which basically gave way to rain almost immediately. May is weird.

Also, I can't park.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

You got another one! What specs and which clacking noises do you still need to fix?

5.4, 3.73ls rear, 4x4, king ranch, every option for the year. And amazingly, nothing to fix!(except the rice)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I chucked some new wheels and summer tires on the SE-R, just in time for a surprise blizzard which basically gave way to rain almost immediately.

We hit 93 today. :suicide:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Tremek posted:

Had the wife's new ride detailed.

... and then she was rear-ended two days later. Adjuster coming out to look at the car on Monday. :sigh:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tremek posted:

... and then she was rear-ended two days later. Adjuster coming out to look at the car on Monday. :sigh:

Sucks. I bet the tow hitch did some damage though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tremek posted:

Goddammit.

This is why we can't have nice things :(

(Or Porsche Cayennes, for that matter :v:)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Went to adjust the back brakes on the VW. The adjusters were siezed. Damnit. Then I noticed play in the bearings. gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

That does suck. How bad? I imagine the parts prices for that thing are going to be remarkable for anything that is turbo-specific. Do you have OEM-Only rider on your own insurance (I know that it'll be paid by the insurance of the hit-er, but if you have the rider on yours, it'd be easy to make it apply to the repair).

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I decided to route the exhaust through the left hole and fuel filler through the right. Pretty sweet mod, eh?

Okay not really, but the original center garnish was cracked in multiple places and leaking water.

A previous owner lost the trim fasteners, so they used stuff laying around the house rather than shell out the $5 for some new ones.

The new center garnish with its lack of broken-ness promises to not drench the back of my head anymore when I open the tailgate.

The tint surprisingly came off in my hands in one piece without any soaking or spraying with ammonia. The heat from sitting in the sun was enough. Any attempt of taking a picture of it after removal just showed a reflection of my dorky self holding a camera and everything else behind the car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New to me wheels/perellis off a 2012 lariat.

Conditioned the leather. Hopefully hit it with a bit of lexol neatsfoot to bring that color back.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm kind of surprised it has open light buckets like that on the back. Guess it makes sense though.

Today I looked outside at the rain and felt that sense of uneasiness about a vehicle on axle stands when it's wet out. Might see if the penetrating oil has done its job on the brake adjuster. Beyond that too wet. Might just put the tubes and tyres on the vintage ladies bike I picked up a while back. No it's not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I drove it!

I was home sick last week, and didn't get a chance to get out after applying the stage 2 Active Autowerke tune. It felt good. Next up, intake manifold swap.